• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Oh my god
tumblr_mqywuyad3N1rmuaxqo1_400.gif

Cheerilee

Is the animated series supposed to be so terrible that it's good? Cause I just don't get it.

No, I think it's just supposed to be terrible. I think it's supposed to be morbid fascination.

I think as a one-off "Hey, I tried making something and it's shit. Come laugh at how badly I screwed up!" it kind of works, but I don't understand why he keeps doing it, or why RLM is giving him a platform.

Ah, Crazy Fat Ethel II, a "sequel" to 1976's Criminally Insane. I remember when the Cinema Snob reviewed it a few years ago. It's got a 60-minute runtime, and more than half of that is just blatantly reused footage from Criminally Insane, with the other half full of obvious filler.

Director Nick Millard (Nick Phillips) and actress Priscilla Alden didn't work together on just CFEII in 1987, they also made Death Nurse the same year, using the same set, with many of the same actors, and shot on the same crappy camera. Alden starred as Nurse Edith who worked with her amateur surgeon brother at his house/clinic where they take in patients from a hospital, kill them, and feed them to rats. You'd think that a different plot and characters would keep Millard from reusing footage from Criminally Insane, but you'd be wrong. Not only does it use the credits from Criminally Insane, but it tosses in footage from Criminally Insane almost randomly. There's still the obvious filler scenes in the Death Nurse footage. As for the "ending,"
a cop randomly walks up to the house's garage and discovers a corpse, cutting to Nurse Edith and the doctor sitting on a couch with defeated looks on their faces.

Death Nurse 2 was released the next year. The "cliffhanger" last movie?
The cop knocks on the front door, only to be stabbed by Nurse Edith, allowing her and the doctor to resume killing patients.
You know the drill by now: the same set, some of the same actors, same shot on shitteo quality, and Nick Phillips displays his mastery of the craft by reusing footage from Criminally Insane AGAIN. The ending's even pretty much the same as the first Death Nurse:
A cop knocks on the door, reveals that he knows about the murders; Nurse Edith sulks away and sits on a couch with a defeated look on her face.

Acerac

Banned
First they did this with Plinkett, now they're doing it to HitB. ;)

Honestly though I prefer BotW over HitB so I'm not too upset over this situation.

Peru

Yes HiTB is not as funny and interesting as a work of film on its own as Plinkett's reviews, which take huge amounts of time and effort, but particularly Mike is just great at talking about film and particularly genre film, why it works and why it doesn't, and that dialogue about a film is much more interesting than some riffs on bad trash - as much as I enjoy BotW on the side.

After Ebert's shows died I was desperate for a good, emotional, intelligent discussion about new releases in a dialogue format, between people who know film. In that sense HitB is a godsend.

inm8num2

I apologize for the bump as there is no new content to post, but I really want to see RLM watch the Dexter season 8 finale. I think Rich Evans would lose his mind.

Probably the funniest thing they have done that last episode. I would like to see more of Jillian she really fits in well with the group and plays off of them well.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
When they superimposed him with the glasses during that bar scene in Texas Psycho...man I lost it.

that was hilarious.

"AW.....FUCK YEAH!"

i actually dont really like that Jillian girl that much when she "tries" to be funny. she just needs to be normal and she's good.

i actually dont really like that Jillian girl that much when she "tries" to be funny. she just needs to be normal and she's good.

same here, but at least she's contributing and adds to the happy/carefree vibe. I like her better than the other gal tbh. maybe it's just me but she seems slightly unhappy to be there sometimes, or... not too interested maybe.

davepoobond

same here, but at least she's contributing and adds to the happy/carefree vibe. I like her better than the other gal tbh. maybe it's just me but she seems slightly unhappy to be there sometimes, or... not too interested maybe.

the other girl is fine, i think. she's smart enough and has a contrasting perspective (since she's a girl). i feel like she's going out with mike cause they always sit next to each other when they're watching movies, although they dont show a whole lot that would really imply it.

she's probably just available way more.

Cheerilee

I originally got the vibe that Girl #1 (yes, I can't be bothered to remember their names, yet I make assumptions about their personal lives) was Mike's girlfriend, and that she doesn't really want to be there, but she's making an effort.

And then I got the vibe that Girl #2 is Jay's girlfriend, and she's excited to have been invited. Something about the way that they interacted, with her making occasional physical contact, and him not reacting at all to it (either that or Jay really is so sexy that women can't keep their hands off him, and he's become immune to their advances). Her excitement is leading to her trying too hard.

And then I got the impression that Girl #1 doesn't really like the way that Girl #2 seems to be making herself the center of attention.

Of course, those are just impressions, and I could be way off base.

davepoobond

I originally got the vibe that Girl #1 (yes, I can't be bothered to remember their names, yet I make assumptions about their personal lives) was Mike's girlfriend, and that she doesn't really want to be there, but she's making an effort.

And then I got the vibe that Girl #2 is Jay's girlfriend, and she's excited to have been invited. Something about the way that they interacted, with her making occasional physical contact, and him not reacting at all to it (either that or Jay really is so sexy that women can't keep their hands off him, and he's become immune to their advances). Her excitement is leading to her trying too hard.

And then I got the impression that Girl #1 doesn't really like the way that Girl #2 seems to be making herself the center of attention.

Of course, those are just impressions, and I could be way off base.

well, they only let us see what they want us to. so, it could be completely right or wrong. i'm inclined to think what you're saying is what the "behind the scenes story" is, but who knows.

i got the impression too that jill is jay's girlfriend, too.

Mike and Jessi are together, and she seems to work for them part-time.

https://www.facebook.com/mike.stoklasa?fref=ts

They actually found Jillian through Craigslist when they were looking for a lead-actress for Feeding Frenzy.

She doesn't live in Milwaukee so she visited recently to do some stuff for Doc of the Dead and at the same time collaborated and appeared on BotW. Wouldn't surprise me if they also shot a HitB with her.

Jillian was being a little try-hard, but that may just be because it's her first time on that show.

I like Jessi, though. Very natural chemistry with the guys. I totally get her and Mike as a couple.

Cheerilee

I just rewatched the HitB where Jill appeared, and Jay said they had reviewed "The Black Ninja", but it seemed a bit more notable to me as the episode where they reviewed "What's Your Number?", and where Jill got kind of confrontational towards Mike, because he said it was a rather terrible Hollywood-schlock romantic comedy, and she seemed to take personal offense to him saying that, because (while she admits that it's objectively bad and that there are better romantic comedies) she just wanted to turn her brain off and go through the motions of watching a romantic comedy.

But it's best that they put that behind them, and "The Black Ninja" part of the episode was clearly the kind of movie that no longer belongs on HitB, now that BotW exists.

Also, Jill was sitting next to Jay throughout the episode, so while that probably means that they only had two cameras, I'm going to continue with my assumption that Jay is a chick magnet.

Jillian was being a little try-hard, but that may just be because it's her first time on that show.

I like Jessi, though. Very natural chemistry with the guys. I totally get her and Mike as a couple.

I feel the exact opposite haha, I really liked Jillian and always feel that Jessi is trying too hard to fit in and isn't all that funny.

davepoobond

I just rewatched the HitB where Jill appeared, and Jay said they had reviewed "The Black Ninja", but it seemed a bit more notable to me as the episode where they reviewed "What's Your Number?", and where Jill got kind of confrontational towards Mike, because he said it was a rather terrible Hollywood-schlock romantic comedy, and she seemed to take personal offense to him saying that, because (while she admits that it's objectively bad and that there are better romantic comedies) she just wanted to turn her brain off and go through the motions of watching a romantic comedy.

But it's best that they put that behind them, and "The Black Ninja" part of the episode was clearly the kind of movie that no longer belongs on HitB, now that BotW exists.

Also, Jill was sitting next to Jay throughout the episode, so while that probably means that they only had two cameras, I'm going to continue with my assumption that Jay is a chick magnet.

yeah, i actually watched the black ninja before even knowing about HitB, so I remember that episode as the "Black ninja" episode myself. of those two movies, black ninja is definitely more memorable anyhow, so i can see how they would refer to that as the "black ninja" episode.

it is sort of interesting now that you mention it how they used to do the crappy movies in half in the bag, but not so much anymore.

I feel the exact opposite haha, I really liked Jillian and always feel that Jessi is trying too hard to fit in and isn't all that funny.

i can see how that might be the case with the "fitting in" thing but Jessi isn't really trying to be funny i don't think. i actually like that she is just able to keep parity with everyone in the flow of the discussion.

rakhir

Guys, it's Gillian.

And i found her attractive, in a weird kinda way. That was also one of the best episodes, i was laughing a lot. I'm pretty torn right now - i would like them to show more of those crappy movies, but in the other hand HitB is my favourite movie review show...

Top Bottom