• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Rich Evans grows up before our very eyes!

LkoZmwL.png

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Even though GAF has never been very consistent when it comes to what goes in the main section (Gaming, Off Topic) and what goes in Community, this type of thread probably belongs in Community. And yeah, that means a lot less traffic to the thread.
It was originally in Off Topic but was moved to the Community forum. Which is where it belongs. People have made separate threads for certain special videos, then had links therein back to this thread. I think that works pretty well.
But the thing is no one goes in Community. No one. Once a thread leaves OT or Gaming, it's gone. If I haven't subscribed to it yet, I never will because I will never see it. I like the simplicity of only having two forums to go between. It's the reason I don't go to Penny Arcade more often. (They have TWO separate OT forums with half a dozen sub forums. I never know where to find ANYTHING and each forum has its own set of official topics for the same thing.) When I click Community forums all I see is a bunch of stuff I don't care about. If there's content in there I am interested in, I ain't going to find it. It's the reason people create new OTs thinking no one has. It's the reason the Spelunky OT disappeared and got replaced with the "I'm addicted to Spelunky!" thread.

Community is where threads go to die.
#SixTopicsAndAnOT

If you guys are going to start a new official thread, do it in OT. Community threads get started there to gain some traction and new users. After a specific period of time (6 weeks, I think?), mods will move the thread to Community.

Myggen

But the thing is no one goes in Community. No one. Once a thread leaves OT or Gaming, it's gone. If I haven't subscribed to it yet, I never will because I will never see it. I like the simplicity of only having two forums to go between. It's the reason I don't go to Penny Arcade more often. (They have TWO separate OT forums with half a dozen sub forums. I never know where to find ANYTHING and each forum has its own set of official topics for the same thing.) When I click Community forums all I see is a bunch of stuff I don't care about. If there's content in there I am interested in, I ain't going to find it. It's the reason people create new OTs thinking no one has. It's the reason the Spelunky OT disappeared and got replaced with the "I'm addicted to Spelunky!" thread.

#SixTopicsAndAnOT

And that's always the complaint when a thread gets moved to Community, and it's a valid complaint. But as long as GAF has a Community section, this thread probably belongs there.

If someone is interested in a thing,they can search NeoGAF for the thread and/or google for something like "'thing I like' NeoGAF" to find the community thread. It's how I found the RLM, Ys, and Persona community threads within the past 2 months. If those searches bring up nothing they can make their own community thread in regular gaming/OT where either someone can direct them to the community thread, or they have created the thread in need.

jgminto

If a new thread was made it would just get moved to community pretty quickly anyway.
I didn't even realize the thread was moved until now, that's what happens when you stick to your Subscriptions.

#SixTopicsAndAnOT
I don't know what to tell you. They have Community sides for a reason. And this thread fits that reason. You should have the forums auto-subscribe you to anything you post in. That's how I keep up with this thread and others like it (MST3K thread, mostly).

inm8num2

Subscriptions is my go-to GAF page. I rarely venture into the Community sub-forums, since most of what's in there originated in the regular gaming/OT sub-forums (which I do check daily).

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Yeah the best way to get more people in a community thread is just make the occasional thread for videos of wider interest that they make. Half in the bag is probably more valid but best of the worst might be good depending on what videos it is.

Sanjuro

Yeah the best way to get more people in a community thread is just make the occasional thread for videos of wider interest that they make. Half in the bag is probably more valid but best of the worst might be good depending on what videos it is.

I think for the marathons and such it works. It's really weird system for threads sometimes, and seeing what sticks vs. what doesn't.

Internet real estate!

how come, if you don't mind me asking. ?

Never have time. I have to catch up with things on Youtube while in bed when I come home and the videos are so long. Sometimes I skim through them if I'm interested in the game they're playing. I should probably convert them to audio and listen to them as podcasts while commuting as they never talk much about what they're playing anyway.

I find best in the worst to be the most easy to get into. Many people don't really care about reviews and get up in arms if they disagree with the review. Everyone can hate on old shitty movies.

Shy

Never have time. I have to catch up with things on Youtube while in bed when I come home and the videos are so long. Sometimes I skim through them if I'm interested in the game they're playing. I should probably convert them to audio and listen to them as podcasts while commuting as they never talk much about what they're playing anyway.
ahh. cool cool.
making them into podcast would work quite well.

I've been watching Half in a Bag for a long time and started with Best of the Worst a month ago. I think I'm through all episodes now.

What am I going to do now? Does life make any sense?

OH MY GOOOOOOOD.

Top Bottom