• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

inky

As someone who ignored their gaming stuff because PreRec is kinda bad, I never realized how fun their game streams were. Jack and Rich play so well off each other. Heck, even when Jack is by himself he has interesting things to say.

I've been going through some of their YT stuff and it's super fun.

Grinchy

Banned
As someone who ignored their gaming stuff because PreRec is kinda bad, I never realized how fun their game streams were. Jack and Rich play so well off each other. Heck, even when Jack is by himself he has interesting things to say.

I've been going through some of their YT stuff and it's super fun.
I love all these guys and I love video games but I hate their stream. I don't have an explanation. I've tried to get into it but I just can't.

inky

I love all these guys and I love video games but I hate their stream. I don't have an explanation. I've tried to get into it but I just can't.

Their content has always taken a bit to click with me, I don't know why. For the longest time I just skipped the non-critique portion of their Half in The Bags (I found their humor tedious)... then I watched them again and didn't mind it, then I liked it.

Kinda the same thing happened with their gaming stuff. I've never found Jack that funny in their movie stuff, but I found his solo stuff entertaining, and some of the videos where Jay joins them are funny due to his cluelessness and the way he interacts with chat.

Started watching the new BOTW and Mike looks so ooold.

E: oh god, this is so good.
"we're not on half in the bag. This is not how it works!"

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Rich using a trans slur was kinda gross...

Ignorance is no excuse, of course, but I'm sure he wasn't aware it's considered a slur. In fact I bet that once the feedback gets to him, he'll apologize on the Pre-Rec stream. If not tonight then Sunday. They're usually pretty good about that sort of thing.

dani_dc

If anyone wants to buy RedLetterMedia movie, they're having a 50% off sale.

Hey everyone. We’ve updated our HD Download service for our feature films like Feeding Frenzy and How Not to Make a Movie. You now have the ability to download our movies or stream them online, and we even have a few rental options. To celebrate, we’re having a 24 hour flash sale, starting now and going until 1:00 pm US Central time tomorrow! Just enter the coupon code “SCHLOCK” at checkout for 1/2 off your purchase.

I'm not a huge fan of Pre Rec, but it's good and short enough to watch it.

But damn, if they don't deliver a good amount of gif material for the gaming side.

inm8num2

I assume they won't be streaming tonight so that the RLM team can film their live reaction to Boyhood winning or losing the best picture Oscar.

inm8num2

https://twitter.com/redlettermedia/status/569726440897277953

GrpBvzw.png

jtb

Banned
RedLetterMedia made their name by sidestepping the kind of snark that usually characterized the fanboy whining about the Star Wars prequels and replacing it with thoughtful, sneakily intelligent criticism.

their review of Boyhood was lazy and snarky, independent of the actual opinion, and demonstrated exactly why Half in the Bag is nowhere near as good as their in-depth reviews

(I posted this in the Oscars thread but I figure it's probably more topical here.) As someone who loves those Star Wars prequels and thinks that they're smart, talented guys, I think that HiTB review was where I realized why I don't like Half in the Bag.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
RedLetterMedia made their name by sidestepping the kind of snark that usually characterized the fanboy whining about the Star Wars prequels and replacing it with thoughtful, sneakily intelligent criticism.

their review of Boyhood was lazy and snarky, independent of the actual opinion, and demonstrated exactly why Half in the Bag is nowhere near as good as their in-depth reviews

(I posted this in the Oscars thread but I figure it's probably more topical here.) As someone who loves those Star Wars prequels and thinks that they're smart, talented guys, I think that HiTB review was where I realized why I don't like Half in the Bag.

I thought their critique was fine. They saw Boyhood as an average film, buoyed completely because of how it was filmed over 12 years. I agree with them on that. And it's not like that method hasn't been seen. Even today, a TV station was doing a Darleen themed Marathon of "Roseanne" and called it the Girlhood Marathon.

Sanjuro

I don't think anyone is tuning into Half and the Bag for piping hot film reviews. In this instance, they were spot on with Boyhood and went into detail why.

I'll agree with this. I find Half in the Bag to be fun and great and entertaining even on rewatches, but I cannot understand how people can think they are as rigorous or intellectual in their film criticism as Siskel and Ebert. They tend to gravitate to showy, "weird" (I loved Under The Skin but did Jay do much praising outside of that it was strange and creepy?) or true story ghost movies (seriously, what is it with Mike and movies about ghosts? Does he really believe in them?).

I really like what they do (and I'm going to say something negative in an OT...) but people and themselves shouldn't elevate their stuff into some undeserved higher existence.

Sadly, now that Boyhood lost, we just might get that joke even further beaten into the ground.

I'll agree with this. I find Half in the Bag to be fun and great and entertaining even on rewatches, but I cannot understand how people can think they are as rigorous or intellectual in their film criticism as Siskel and Ebert. They tend to gravitate to showy, "weird" (I loved Under The Skin but did Jay do much praising outside of that it was strange and creepy?) or true story ghost movies (seriously, what is it with Mike and movies about ghosts? Does he really believe in them?).

I really like what they do (and I'm going to say something negative in an OT...) but people and themselves shouldn't elevate their stuff into some undeserved higher existence.

Sadly, now that Boyhood lost, we just might get that joke even further beaten into the ground.

It won't be from them though. Outside of "be cool about fire safety" they don't tend to run jokes down to the ground, the crazy fanbase does.

And I watch them as entertainers first, thoughts on their reviews second. I can't count on my hand how many times I watch HitB withmy friends and we say "eh I'll disagree with them here, but whatever I still love them"

Rydeen

(seriously, what is it with Mike and movies about ghosts? Does he really believe in them?).

He's just got a soft spot for them. Everybody's got a crappy genre of movies that they enjoy, whether for nostalgic reasons or otherwise. I bet Mike was really into the behind the scenes stories on movies like The Exorcist and Poltergeist when he was a teenager.

That's amazing.

Anyway, I just mean he always seems super excited to see movies that are "true stories" about ghosts. He made Jay go see that movie last year that had Eric Bana in it that looked and sounded awful, but it was a true ghost story so they saw it. He just seems peculiarly eager to see them and is always more invested in and disappointed in them than Jay. Here's one that starts about 6 minutes in where he seems just incredibly let down.

Maybe it is because Jay dated the ghost. Or I'm crazy.

Cheerilee

Did you watch their actual review, or one of their comedic responses to being attacked for being among the 2% of reviewers to give it a score of 49% or lower?

Jay: I wish the movie was about Patricia Arquette. She was the most compelling, interesting character.

*Patricia Arquette wins the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Boyhood*

jtb

Banned
Did you watch their actual review, or one of their comedic responses to being attacked for being among the 2% of reviewers to give it a score of 49% or lower?

Jay: I wish the movie was about Patricia Arquette. She was the most compelling, interesting character.

*Patricia Arquette wins the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Boyhood*

Yeah, that was actually the last HiTB/RLM thing I watched way back in August. I posted something to similar effect in the Boyhood thread back then, I think.

Like I said, I like the guys... it's just when I realized I was kinda done with HiTB. the looser format isn't for me and, tbh, I don't really think it plays to their strengths either.

I thought Alien Isolation was that already.

The Order is being shit on by most everyone so it's not a similar case.

True. But their Alien Isolation review didn't really bother me that much. Their complaints aren't far off from mine, even if it seems like I enjoyed playing the game more.

Top Bottom