• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I notice part of that Disorder stream is muted. When they upload to YouTube do they upload their raw footage so nothing ends up muted due to Twitch? Or do they upload archived parts directly from Twitch? (I would hope they'd upload it themselves so they can break it into hourly chunks.)

They played for 11+ hours? Damn. I'm not even interested in the game at all but I am so tempted to watch every single part of that as they come out. (Though I'm looking forward to them uploading STRAFE.

Why don't I watch on Twitch itself? Well because I just found out why I don't. Because their player is fucking garbage. YouTube's player is perfect compared to Twitch's piece of shit. I'll just wait for the YouTube uploads. I just hope they put up larger chunks since it's so long to put only one hour up per day. They're already 11 days behind on uploading the parts.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
You guys got a time stamp for this melt down? I don't think i can stand 3 hours of The Order.

I don't know when exactly it is but it's like around the last half hour mark of the stream. I listened to the meltdown last night, wow that was glorious, LOL! Rich was genuinely pissed off I think. They both really seemed to not think much of the game. I'm sure I'd hate it, from what I saw of it's gameplay it is so not my kind of game. That final fight alone seemed horrible to me, just not my cup of tea.

I hope they have video of the meltdown, I'd love to see it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Go to about 2:42:00.
Is that in the first part or the second part? Wait.. there's three parts. Wait.. they played for... 21 hours? Is that right? Wait. No, I'm reading the time stamps wrong. It's only about 3.5 hours. Okay. That's easier to swallow. There's a 10 minute part, an 8 minute part and a 3 hour part. Guess they had internet problems at the start?

inm8num2

Is that in the first part or the second part? Wait.. there's three parts. Wait.. they played for... 21 hours? Is that right? Wait. No, I'm reading the time stamps wrong. It's only about 3.5 hours. Okay. That's easier to swallow. There's a 10 minute part, an 8 minute part and a 3 hour part. Guess they had internet problems at the start?

LOL, I think they had to restart a couple times. But yea, I meant the 2 hour 42 minutes mark in the third and longest video (which is about 3 hours long). :p

"Ohhhhhh myyyyyyy gaawwwwwd! OHHHHHHH MYYYYYYY GAAWWWWWWWD!!"

Oreoleo

GAF has a RLM OT WTF??????

i9tV2iN.gif

I should check the Community forums more often

Sharp

i think its one thing to complain about the gameplay:cutscene ratio, but the "game doing things for you" like running for you and crouching for you and having little dots showing you where to go are a general progression of game design not exclusive to this game or even this genre.

there's no point running around aimlessly trying to find what you want anymore. get in and get out. why does it matter if you have to "press a button" to run when you should just be running during that certain part of the game. its hardly playing for you.

anyway, i have some problems with their analysis of games, mostly because they aren't exposed to a variety of games and knowing where games are going in general rather than the particular game they are playing. As a result they are insular to only what they are playing, compared to someone who sort of cares about reviewing games with a wide basis of knowledge about games out there and at the very least who develops the game they are playing and what else they made.
I have some problems with this. Things like a dot showing you where to go are fucking cheap. It's not a new idea, it was just rejected long ago as being too dumb, because even babies would feel like they were being babied if someone literally put a dot somewhere and said "this is where you need to go." Good game design should lead you to the correct place without resorting to something horribly lazy like straight up telling you where to go. If people are getting lost in test playthroughs it's a sign that your level is poorly designed, not that gamers are dumb and need dots to direct them.

The whole point of a game being a game is that it's interactive. You at least need the illusion of choice. Stuff like the dot removes that. Watching the stream, it honestly bothered me a lot more than the story itself (which was bad, but pretty typical video game fare).

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I have some problems with this. Things like a dot showing you where to go are fucking cheap. It's not a new idea, it was just rejected long ago as being too dumb, because even babies would feel like they were being babied if someone literally put a dot somewhere and said "this is where you need to go." Good game design should lead you to the correct place without resorting to something horribly lazy like straight up telling you where to go. If people are getting lost in test playthroughs it's a sign that your level is poorly designed, not that gamers are dumb and need dots to direct them.

it depends on what you're going for. do you want the game to feel like a game, where the architecture of a building makes no sense from an actual usable standpoint, or do you want to make it look more plausible such as a large, confusing warehouse (that you see in the stream).

i think games can and should move past feeling like a game. people who play a lot of games already "get" it when it comes to game design and if a level is designed correctly its not really much different than being told where to go by a dot. so why does everything have to be designed in an arbitrary box? The Order tried it, it may have failed, it doesn't mean that other games shouldn't expand upon it or improve on that specific failing.

The whole point of a game being a game is that it's interactive. You at least need the illusion of choice. Stuff like the dot removes that. Watching the stream, it honestly bothered me a lot more than the story itself (which was bad, but pretty typical video game fare).

it depends on how it is fully used. i think its infinitely more useful and nicer to have than a minimap showing you the same information, for instance. i havent played the game and probably don't intend to unless it gets to be like 5 bucks at some point, but in general i am one of those players that even in a game that is well designed i get lost and roam around not knowing what the hell to do which results in me having to look up a walkthrough. having that dot or at least having the option to have that dot be there would be something very much appreciated.

Huh now it's working, please upload the ending to youtube RLM

Edit: And then it muted again 5 seconds into the credits :/ Oh well at least I got to hear the OH MY GOD to the gunshot fade to black

inm8num2

Edit: And then it muted again 5 seconds into the credits :/ Oh well at least I got to hear the OH MY GOD to the gunshot fade to black

It's weird - I've noticed the audio randomly gets muted in that video. Refreshing the page sometimes helps.

inky

Heh, Rich's opinion on Mass Effect as a whole is very similar to mine. Like Return of the Jedi grew a Space Odyssey tumor because the writer was suddenly feeling artsy and didn't know how to end his space opera is such an apt description. And the universe is tainted after 3 that even going to back to ME1, a game I absolutely love, feels impossible.

Definitely felt sad and almost depressed after finishing the trilogy. I love that people keep bringing it up. You can tell it still hurts hahaha.

How I wish I could watch their Order 1886 stream, but since I plan on actually playing it whenever I get a PS4 (which I can't even say is definitely going to happen), it really would give the entire game away.

I did finish their Dark Souls and FTL streams today, though. And I enjoyed them a lot more than I thought I would have. It might be because Jay was there and they also talked a lot about the RLM behind the scenes stuff, which is always interesting. It had a light podcast vibe going on.

Calcium

Banned
Are the Pre Rec streams worth checking out? Is the commentary focused primarily on the game or do they go into some personal stories or behind the scenes RLM stuff? Does anyone else at RLM participate other than Rich and Jack?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Are the Pre Rec streams worth checking out? Is the commentary focused primarily on the game or do they go into some personal stories or behind the scenes RLM stuff? Does anyone else at RLM participate other than Rich and Jack?

Very worth checking out. And there's tons of behind the scenes and personal stuff. Jay is almost always there on the Wednesday streams. Sometimes Mike and/or Jessi too, but that's a bit more rare.

davepoobond

I would say usually its about 25% the game and 75% otherwise.

The stream has been on long enough now where if jay is not there they seem to talk about the game way more, especially if its not one of the usuals like FTL or whatever.

Nowadays feels more like 50/50

Calcium

Banned
I would say usually its about 25% the game and 75% otherwise.

The stream has been on long enough now where if jay is not there they seem to talk about the game way more, especially if its not one of the usuals like FTL or whatever.

Nowadays feels more like 50/50

50/50 isn't bad at all. I just didn't want to invest time in viewing if it was something like 30% awkward silence, 60% game commentary and 10% personal stories.

Just looked at the Youtube playlist and there are 204 streams. For some reason I thought Pre Rec was relatively new. That is a shit ton of content to go through.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh man the finale of the order 1886 stream is muted now :( Can't hear the reaction to the gunshot fade to black

Is it actually muted or just a silly problem with the shitty Twitch player? If there's red in the time bar then it's actually muted.

Hopefully when they upload the entire thing to YouTube they'll upload the raw video from their computer instead of using Twitch's feature. It's strange to say but YouTube seems to have different ideas of copyrighted music recognition. It's all stupid though.

I watch them if the game interests me or I know Jay might be there. The STRAFE episodes were amazing. They had a dev come on and talk about the game while they played.

davepoobond

50/50 isn't bad at all. I just didn't want to invest time in viewing if it was something like 30% awkward silence, 60% game commentary and 10% personal stories.

Just looked at the Youtube playlist and there are 204 streams. For some reason I thought Pre Rec was relatively new. That is a shit ton of content to go through.

Rich's solo streams are pretty much all silent.

Jacks solo streams are kind of peaceful, I like them, he doesn't do them very often anymore though.

yeah I just caught up with Red Letter Media, I am hereby putting my foot down that I will not watch the streams because fuck that lol. I hope there's a highlight reel at one point for the Order 1886.

Calcium

Banned
Rich's solo streams are pretty much all silent.

Jacks solo streams are kind of peaceful, I like them, he doesn't do them very often anymore though.

Yikes, I might be skipping those then. I'm watching them play Duck Tales right now and it's pretty entertaining.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

They break up streams into multiple clips on Youtube, but they've been doing this nearly a year now. There are people who have been subscribed to their channel for 8 or 9 months and they didn't have subscriptions immediately.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Rich treats it as a podcast, and that's basically how you should listen to it.

That said, I generally prefer when they're both on... the solo streams are a bit boring.

Rich treats it as a podcast, and that's basically how you should listen to it.

That said, I generally prefer when they're both on... the solo streams are a bit boring.

I think the streams without Jay can be a little boring. It depends on the game and what they feel.

I've had Be Cool About Fire Safety stuck in my head for three days now. I think something might be wrong guys.

They reached a point with that joke where doing it anymore would have been beating a dead horse and they knew it. Glad they stopped, the joke can live fondly in my memories for years to come.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They break up streams into multiple clips on Youtube, but they've been doing this nearly a year now. There are people who have been subscribed to their channel for 8 or 9 months and they didn't have subscriptions immediately.
And every time it comes up they act surprised that they've been doing it for so long.

this is very funny guys. please check it out.

Previously Recorded Animated 2

That's amazing.

Edit: And, regarding streams, I wish they did more themed stuff, like when they played the horror games in October, or the N64 one, or the Dreamcast one, and so on. Also, I miss Jessie and Mike randomly chiming in on the streams. When's the last time they were even on? Octodad stream?

I finally watched The Order and the previous Wednesday streams. Those are the only 2 streams I've seen in months since a lot have just been the hack and a half stuff.

Top Bottom