• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

honestly, i don't know what happened to jessi. sorry.
:lol Sorry, that's not what I was getting at. The first two posts of this thread were made before Best of the Worst and Pre Rec. That's why I was asking about whether I should update those posts.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
He just brought up the Order review thread (not the PreRec one, the general one).

I didn't realize there was a thread for the PreRec Order review.

Oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

The Order review threads are the best use of the internet ever. Long distance instantaneous communication with every source of knowledge in the world comes in at a close second to laughing at people who are way too emotionally invested in a garbage game.

The Order review threads are the best use of the internet ever. Long distance instantaneous communication with every source of knowledge in the world comes in at a close second to laughing at people who are way too emotionally invested in a garbage game.

Reading review threads for console exclusives is my favorite part of neogaf. It's always a party (unless it's Nintendo).

aravuus

You've definitely missed out on one of the best threads in a while. Hell, everything Order related has been super entertaining since its release. Both the people defending it and the people attacking it have taken it waay too seriously.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

I already had a great time with the Order and I haven't even played the game.
I feel like I should buy the game just to thank Sony for the great experience I had reading comments on the internet about it.

Myggen

Reading review threads for console exclusives is my favorite part of neogaf. It's always a party (unless it's Nintendo).

We have been missing out on the real Nintendo salt for a good while now, since more or less every big Nintendo game has reviewed great. But if Zelda U gets an 8/10 or lower from any outlet those The Order threads are gonna look civil by comparison.

We have been missing out on the real Nintendo salt for a good while now, since more or less every big Nintendo game has reviewed great. But if Zelda U gets an 8/10 or lower from any outlet those The Order threads are gonna look civil by comparison.

Will Jeff Gerstmann be the hero we need? I hope he doesn't settle just for Driveclub

Shy

thought i would post this on a new page, just in case anyone is interested.

hi RLM/pre-rec fans.
a bunch of us on the twitch chat have decided to start our own ( BOTW style ) movie night, using the twich chat as our IM and watch full movies on the youtubes.
we've already and our first one last wednesday when there wasn't a stream. we watched, robo vampire, riki-oh and 2020 Texas Gladiators. it was a really good laugh.

if you're interested in coming along, it's going to be every tuesday at 20:30 CST, starting from this week.

a little tip if you have a single monitor.
what i did was pop out the chat and put it on the right where the recommended youtube vids go, that way you can chat and watch the film at the same time.
:lol Sorry, that's not what I was getting at. The first two posts of this thread were made before Best of the Worst and Pre Rec. That's why I was asking about whether I should update those posts.
definitely, i think it would be cool to put all the infos up.

EDIT: i was thinking someone should make a dedicated pre-rec thread on gaming side.

EDIT: i was thinking someone should make a dedicated pre-rec thread on gaming side.
There is already one, but nobody posts it. It's similar to the clueless gamer threads, where people will make threads for every review but the main thread is semi-abandoned. There are more people interested in specific games than necessarily the series that reviews them, but I think the threads are more entertaining because of it.

I fear that Dan Ryckert will review it :/ We will not have another 8.8gate.

Truly the end times. I hope platform exclusives aren't next to go

Shy

There is already one, but nobody posts it. It's similar to the clueless gamer threads, where people will make threads for every review but the main thread is semi-abandoned. There are more people interested in specific games than necessarily the series that reviews them, but I think the threads are more entertaining because of it.
ahhh. cool. well that's a shame.

My big issue back in the day wasn't so much the 8.8 score but the fact anything .# existed period outside of .5

The difference between a .7/.8/.9 in the scheme of things is completely irrelevant. Either round it up to 9.0 or drop it down to an 8/8.5.

After reading the first six pages of the Pre Rec Order 1886 thread (100 posts per page), I had to watch it.

It was good, but somehow not exceptional and definitely doesn't deserve the reactions. What the heck is wrong get with people regarding this game?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
After reading the first six pages of the Pre Rec Order 1886 thread (100 posts per page), I had to watch it.

It was good, but somehow not exceptional and definitely doesn't deserve the reactions. What the heck is wrong get with people regarding this game?

It's a very polarizing game, seemingly, not from what it is but what it represents.

There's been a large uptick of anti-cutscene sentiment and pro-indie 100% gameplay experiences being the pinnacle of gaming so the "cinematic" gameplay from ps2/3 eras are getting a lot of pushback because they're "trying to be something they're not" or something like that.

Of course since its games people get super emotionally involved with the product and start using subjective reasoning to validate things

It's a very polarizing game, seemingly, not from what it is but what it represents.

There's been a large uptick of anti-cutscene and pro-indie 100% gameplay experiences so the "cinematic" gameplay from ps2/3 eras are getting a lot of pushback because they're "trying to be something they're not" or something like that.

Of course since its games people get super emotionally involved with the product and start using subjective reasoning to validate things

There is a bit of that, but those people whine about every modern day AAA game. Had The Order 1886 come out during the PS2/PS3 era it probably still would have been panned for it's short length, bad ai, over use of QTEs, and sub par story that feels rushed/unfinished to set up a sequel. Honestly if The Order wasn't a graphics show case and hadn't been a PS4 exclusive nobody would have given a shit about it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
There is a bit of that, but those people whine about every modern day AAA game. Had The Order 1886 come out during the PS2/PS3 era it probably still would have been panned for it's short length, bad ai, over use of QTEs, and sub par story that feels rushed/unfinished to set up a sequel. Honestly if The Order wasn't a graphics show case and hadn't been a PS4 exclusive nobody would have given a shit about it.

Maybe, but I think people were more tolerant of QTEs during ps2 era, and TPS was big during beginning of PS3 but lost popularity when call of duty exploded.

My feeling is this would probably be a perfect PS3 launch title, the story being a bit underwhelming would have been a bit more glossed over IMO if that were the case considering what came out then -- Lair had a similar reception to The Order did now if I recall correctly.

Myggen

My big issue back in the day wasn't so much the 8.8 score but the fact anything .# existed period outside of .5

The difference between a .7/.8/.9 in the scheme of things is completely irrelevant. Either round it up to 9.0 or drop it down to an 8/8.5.

Yeah, that system was obviously crazy. Jeff Gerstmann has talked about how the reviewer at Gamespot in those days chose scores for different aspects of the game (gameplay, graphics) and put it into a spreadsheet which had some formula decide the final score. The reviewer had a "reviewer's tilt" score that could influence the final score, but not by much. It was probably them trying to be more objective or something. But still, that's what they had to work with back then, I don't think the reaction would've been better if it had gotten a 8.5 (maybe if it had gotten a 9, incredible how much 2 points on a 100 point scale matter for some people :)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
16147456164_c30e83a2d5_o.gif

Maybe, but I think people were more tolerant of QTEs during ps2 era, and TPS was big during beginning of PS3 but lost popularity when call of duty exploded.

My feeling is this would probably be a perfect PS3 launch title, the story being a bit underwhelming would have been a bit more glossed over IMO if that were the case considering what came out then -- Lair had a similar reception to The Order did now if I recall correctly.

I think a better example would be Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit or Heavy Rain which were both far better received then the order despite being almost entirely QTE story games. The difference was that both IP and HR were better designed around their QTEs where you could fail/succeed and it have impact both games stories were also far more unique and interesting and led themselves to having re-playability to see how scenes could play out differently if you succeeded/failed different QTEs.

Lair is a terrible example because that game got torn apart the same way The Order did by everyone. The difference was Lair was truly a fundamentally broken game where even if you could get the wonky motion controls to work the gameplay itself still had a ton of issues. The Order has reviewed better then Lair because it's main 3rd person shooter gunplay actually works as advertised.

Also TPS became more popular after Gears of War, which was a year before CoD4, but the genre didn't lose popularity. Mass Effect and Gears were both incredibly popular and successful TPS franchises. Heck The Last Of Us only came out two years ago and people still praise it to the sun. The Order wasn't unfairly criticized, it was unfairly put on a pedestal by fanboys it had no right being on. People thought the game would be this generations TLOU, instead it was this generations Perfect Dark Zero.

Actually, speaking of RLM, the Order/DriveClub/Ryse defense forces argue a lot like the Man of Steel defense force

Looking forward to the salt from RLM slamming BvS when it comes out in 2019

I think a better example would be Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit or Heavy Rain which were both far better received then the order despite being almost entirely QTE story games. The difference was that both IP and HR were better designed around their QTEs where you could fail/succeed and it have impact both games stories were also far more unique and interesting and led themselves to having re-playability to see how scenes could play out differently if you succeeded/failed different QTEs.

Lair is a terrible example because that game got torn apart the same way The Order did by everyone. The difference was Lair was truly a fundamentally broken game where even if you could get the wonky motion controls to work the gameplay itself still had a ton of issues. The Order has reviewed better then Lair because it's main 3rd person shooter gunplay actually works as advertised.

Also TPS became more popular after Gears of War, which was a year before CoD4, but the genre didn't lose popularity. Mass Effect and Gears were both incredibly popular and successful TPS franchises. Heck The Last Of Us only came out two years ago and people still praise it to the sun. The Order wasn't unfairly criticized, it was unfairly put on a pedestal by fanboys it had no right being on. People thought the game would be this generations TLOU, instead it was this generations Perfect Dark Zero.
I like Heavy Rain and Beyond a lot because their QTEs are more than just button prompts, they're immersive becaus they mirror the actions of your characters. For example, climbing up a slippery slope results in awkward finger twister as you hold certain buttons, mirroring your character findig his footing with each step. It wouldn't be same if you just held the analog stick forward

The Lizard Trial in Heavy Rain is still one of the most gripping moments in gaming for me, and a lot of that comes down to the preparation and how the controls correlated with the tools you used. Using a saw blade was different than using scissors

Couple thoughts:

1: Jay is right. I'm glad we're out of that plot line. This has been the worst Half in the Hag season as a result.

2: Rich is showing the chest hair....

3: Speaking of hair, look how kept Jay's was...

4: Is he going for a Lynch up-hair thing? If so, it needs to be longer and not as moussed.

4: Why am I focusing on all this hair?

5: Where did Mike's hair go? How old is he? How long have they been doing this stuff? OH MY GAAAAAWD.

6: Do they have new Lightning Fast VCR repair shirts? They look nice/clean/crisp?

7: I've not seen Chappie, but I'm continued to be impressed by how nice Bloomkamp's (sp) films look on such relatively small budgets. I also feel he's falling down the writing rabbit hole that Shyamalan did; he needs to free himself and his wife/parter (I think?) from the screenplays. I think his ideas are fine, but the execution through writing has been subpar, and this makes me excited for the Alien movie where he will be under the strict supervision of a studio protecting a franchise (also, an Alien movie on a budget really appeals to me). Except, Sharlto Copley needs to be a supporting character since he's getting worse in everything I've seen him in from District 9, to Elysium, to Maleficent, and such.

I guess, I was surprised and excited by how much I enjoyed District 9, faults and all, and I gave Elysium and its plot, writing, odd race stuff, all a pass, so I figured I'll see Chappie and see if I have strong negative reactions that the critics I appreciate had to it.

Top Bottom