• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Mike worded it perfectly in my opinion. It is a fun summer flick, but nothing more than that.

Completely forgettable all in all if your not extremely invested in the MCU and even as a comic reader I find this movie had five main characters too many. For a non-comic reader this must have been hell to keep track off.
If you look at the take of Marvel Movies, most of the people who see any one of these films have seen most them. It feels weird to argue about anyone 'not being invested' at this point. It would be weird enough for someone to go see Avengers 2 who hasn't seen the first one.

He also played Mr. Plinkett's sister at the end of the Jack&Jill review. He was dressed as a cop for the Robocop review and...I think technically he might've appeared as Plinkett's evil twin? Wasn't that kind of the reveal, that the skeleton they had was actually Plinkett's evil twin or something like that?

I think you mean the twin brother who had a heart condition.

Aiii

So not worth it
If you look at the take of Marvel Movies, most of the people who see any one of these films have seen most them. It feels weird to argue about anyone 'not being invested' at this point. It would be weird enough for someone to go see Avengers 2 who hasn't seen the first one.

I would say the majority of people watching a summer blockbuster are just people spending an evening out with friends/family. Most will not follow every Marvel movie or spend much time analyzing or thinking about the movies after watching them.

So I don't think that argument is weird at all, tbh.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
I love Mike total disregard on remembering the various hero names such as Silver steaker, purple arrow, so on.

Mike's comparison to fast food that keeps on bigger and bigger over time is pretty spot on with AoU though.

I love Mike total disregard on remembering the various hero names such as Silver steaker, purple arrow, so on.

Mike's comparison to fast food that keeps on bigger and bigger over time is pretty spot on with AoU though.

they also didn't even bother putting in a spoiler notice, because nobody cares with this crap anyway.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
they also didn't even bother putting in a spoiler notice, because nobody cares with this crap anyway.

Shrug ain't wrong. I wonder how many fans will spam their comments with 'his name is QUICKSILVER' like the other time with the Captain America review.

Mike is beyond saving

tumblr_ngnuisbMjK1u4l08wo2_500.gif

fucking hell the no brand con video is probably the funniest thing they've done.

Myggen

Best HiTB in a good while, some really funny moments in this.

edit: Also yeah, the No Brand Con video will never fail to make me laugh.

I feel like we've seen Mike slowly unravel over the last few years. He's gained weight, seems more and more disinterested every month, doesn't bother to remember anything anymore. Whereas Jay has gotten in better and better shape, has gotten more comfortable being funny on camera over time, and just generally seems happier.

Do you guys think Jay is a succubus?

After recommending the SW reviews to someone, I've rewatched them all recently (and Indiana Jones). I think Ep3 might be the best, absolutely hilarious for the first hour, in which they concentrate on the dumbass story and plotholes first and foremost. I've also already forgotten about half the story happening while sitting on a couch, lol. Now you've also made me watch no brand con again. Final montage is best.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
It's hard for me to figure out which half in the bags I didnt watch. I initially didnt watch those con videos on my first time through cause I didnt care too much about their humor and more about the reviews.

I think I finally got through most of them, but I oughta watch those longer cuts of just the skits now.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I feel like we've seen Mike slowly unravel over the last few years. He's gained weight, seems more and more disinterested every month, doesn't bother to remember anything anymore. Whereas Jay has gotten in better and better shape, has gotten more comfortable being funny on camera over time, and just generally seems happier.

Mike peaked and got complacent. Jay is still striving for things.

Mike became George Lucas. Pretty soon gamestation 2.0 is gonna have some pretty sweet CG.

I am interested where they end up going once this fucking Space Cop shit is behind them. I don't see them being complacent with just going back to churning out internet videos full-time, but given how arduous of a process this apparently has been (seriously, what can they possibly still be doing at this point?), I can't see them starting pre-production on another movie right away, either.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Space Cop is pretty clearly something they're doing because they love it. I mean, the general sentiment I've seen from RLM fans is basically what Snowman said. "I can't wait for them to finish Space Cop so they can get back to HitB/BotW/Plinkett". Depending on how much it costs, I'll probably buy Space Cop once it's released, just because I'm that big of an RLM fan, but I'm not particularly looking forward to it or anything.

Also it kinda blows my mind that they're getting $11,000 a month from Patreon. Makes me wonder how they were doing financially before Patreon became a thing.

megamerican

Actually I think they've grown into their roles nicely. When it first started they were both just kind of cynical schlubs. Now Mike has gone full on burnout while Jay has more energy, and is more engaged which provides a better foil for Mike.

I do think they should just go ahead and bring Rich into the HITB reviews. He seems to always manage to have the show stealing joke in any video he's in.

rekameohs

Banned
Actually I think they've grown into their roles nicely. When it first started they were both just kind of cynical schlubs. Now Mike has gone full on burnout while Jay has more energy, and is more engaged which provides a better foil for Mike.

I do think they should just go ahead and bring Rich into the HITB reviews. He seems to always manage to have the show stealing joke in any video he's in.
I think that Rich is best just relegated to the big comic book action movies, or special cases like Robocop. But even offscreen Rich one-liners are great, like "JFK had the mutant power to get shot in the head" in DOFP.

Peru

Not a criticism as much as a realization - but I have to accept I just don't think they're competent film reviewers anymore. I accepted the fact that I didn't agree with much of what they said outside of genre film - but I felt like they had a grounded sense of what worked and didn't in those genre films. They had their expertise and knew how to formulate concisely and effectively the machinations of sci fi, action, superhero flicks. Now I just feel like they gloss over what's important. The Avengers 2 review says so little about what's wrong with superhero movies, or what's right, what could be done better, for that matter. There's also a lack of will to disagree with each other. You could see Jay discard his criticism because someone else gave approval of the film.

They're still funny guys and filmmakers I'll follow but as reviewers I can't trust them to hold a certain standard anymore.

inm8num2

Yeah RLM to me are just some guys who have somewhat similar taste in film as I do and engage in casual discussions about movies they've seen. I really like them for their humor above all else, as that's what makes the chats and roundtable discussions enjoyable.

But I do think they're good reviewers in that they can articulate what they like or don't like about movies in a way that isn't too shallow or too sophisticated.

They've never been particularly insightful as film critics, tbh. Mike doesn't even seem to know what's going on in the movies they watch half the time, and Jay, while a nice guy, is pretty generic - just watch those Quick Cuts reviews. The niche they've always filled more so is as critics of the stuff that goes into making movies - their Jack and Jill review talking about how cheap it looks and how much money Sandler pocketed, the Star Wars reviews talking about how Lucas was so out-of-step with what made people enjoy the series popular in the first place, the way the riffing in Best of the Worst focuses on accidentally funny poor production values. Their background is one of film production, and that's the perspective they bring to the table. For example, in the American Hustle Quick Cuts reviews, Jay made a comment about how actors are crazy and how they love themselves, so if you give them too much freedom, they'll fuck things up. Those are the kinds of critiques they excel at. When it comes to "is this movie any good or not?", they're utterly generic.

ehm, isn't that because that question is generic in itself?

I mean: "why can't anyone write a proper video game review" ultimately comes down to "because either you like it or you don't", and movies, despite being credited as an art form much sooner than other mediums, have exactly the same problem.
"I like thing!"
"Why do you like thing?"
"I don't know!"

Because really, the point when someone can actually do a formal analysis of something they like, is also the point where they stop being able to like it on a casual basis. It just becomes math at that point. Which can be fun to do or listen to (mr Plinkett and Best of the Worst), but it's not what a casual audience in interested in hearing about when they opt to watch a review. So their main show has to remain casual and fun to watch to a significant degree, I think.
They both look very differently at movies 'as pro's' then when they do HitB, is what I'm getting at.

And really, does anyone even follow a specific critic these days?
They all point to rottentomatoes and the only thing that site does is change a review into 'yes or no' and put into an algorithm. And it's because of that structure that movies can rate 0%, which in ANY other review system is impossible. "no stars for you" just makes a reviewer sound petty, and we all know 'how to read' a review like that: "don't fucking go", whereas the other end is simply 'go if you want'.

This whole 'critic' business has bothered for a great while, so please excuse the 'random' aspect of this post.

Top Bottom