• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Cheerilee

Can't speak for Mike, but i believe rich hasn't seen SG1.

Yeah. I sort of got the impression that Mike was really into TNG, and then he moved on with his life and didn't bother with stuff like Enterprise or Voyager (probably not even DS9). It just feels weird that they don't know. It's like bumping into a nerd who remembers RDA as "that guy from MacGyver".

Yeah. I sort of got the impression that Mike was really into TNG, and then he moved on with his life and didn't bother with stuff like Enterprise or Voyager (probably not even DS9). It just feels weird that they don't know. It's like bumping into a nerd who remembers RDA as "that guy from MacGyver".

I remember him once saying Quark was his favorite Star Trek character so I think he's seen DS9, he just doesn't reference it.

Sephzilla

So I binge watched yesterday and caught up on a few of the Wheel of the Worst vids. The stuff they said during the Osteoporosis Dance had me in tears.

komplanen

So I binge watched yesterday and caught up on a few of the Wheel of the Worst vids. The stuff they said during the Osteoporosis Dance had me in tears.

Me too. It's one of my favourites. Since the new WotW was good too, it's almost like these guys and old people go well together.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know... to this day, I'm still not sure if they rig the wheel or not. Sometimes I think they do, but this seemed to have been such a bust episode that I can't imagine they'd choose these three on purpose.

Jex

You know... to this day, I'm still not sure if they rig the wheel or not. Sometimes I think they do, but this seemed to have been such a bust episode that I can't imagine they'd choose these three on purpose.

I get the impression that it's really a mix because I cannot imagine anything thinking that it would be good to watch those three videos. I mean, it's clearly tormented their souls.

I think it's random to a certain extent, and then sometimes it's either rigged or at least not shown in order IE I feel pretty confident they got SOS first, then reshot the footage to make it the last tape because they knew nothing would top it.

The fact they always do that cut in to the wheel spinning makes it truly impossible to tell. If they kept a single static shot of them before and after the wheel has been spun then it'd be much easier to see if it was truly legit or not.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I always felt like they did all of the spins in a row and don't watch them between spins. It would take too long to reset up the shots 3+ times

They might reshoot the parts before they spin just in case something didnt make sense, I guess.

At least if I were making the video that's what I would do. Otherwise they might all sit in different places maybe between each video unless they were paying attention to that as well.

I always felt like they did all of the spins in a row and don't watch them between spins. It would take too long to reset up the shots 3+ times

They might reshoot the parts before they spin just in case something didnt make sense, I guess.

At least if I were making the video that's what I would do. Otherwise they might all sit in different places maybe between each video unless they were paying attention to that as well.

That doesn't always work because they've referenced elements of previous videos before spinning for the next one ala a step ladder in wheel 6. Just like with BotW I imagine they watch all 3 films back to back, but I feel the spins we see are sometimes staged recreations of probably real spins off camera or cut footage.

davepoobond

That doesn't always work because they've referenced elements of previous videos before spinning for the next one ala a step ladder in wheel 6. Just like with BotW I imagine they watch all 3 films back to back, but I feel the spins we see are sometimes staged recreations of probably real spins off camera or cut footage.

ok, so then maybe they do this:

They shoot the intro
Spin the wheel on camera and 3 videos are chosen, no contextual jokes typically, but they do their little "lets go watch it!" thing
They watch the videos
they go back and do the transition bits for in between videos.
discussion after everything

i have to re-examine the latest episode a bit but i dont remember if they ever go one shot directly from doing a little "transition" bit to spinning the wheel without a cut. they always cut closer to the video anyway, so who knows what the hell is happening.

anyway, thats how i would probably logistically shoot it if i were doing the production, personally. in my head i just feel like its definitely not "shown as shot" and there's some logistical time saving involved in the production somewhere. also, if they did it like this it would be easier to "hide" that they chose something on purpose if they ever do

Grinchy

Banned
I think they hire interns to pick and watch the videos and then dress up as them to do the discussion.

The real Rich Evans is laying on a beach somewhere with a briefcase of cash sitting next to him.

Cheerilee

I think there was one episode where Jay was operating the camera, and they implied that Jay had seen the movie before, and he was the dick who had put it on the wheel and inflicted it on the rest of them.

Coincidentally, it just happened to come up on an episode where Jay was filming.

Bunch of frauds.

Fox318

Every time they clearly rig it the tapes suck.

Like the fart gladitors video

I think there was one episode where Jay was operating the camera, and they implied that Jay had seen the movie before, and he was the dick who had put it on the wheel and inflicted it on the rest of them.

Coincidentally, it just happened to come up on an episode where Jay was filming.

Bunch of frauds.

That was the Christmas movies episode, which wasn't a Wheel episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ok, so then maybe they do this:

They shoot the intro
Spin the wheel on camera and 3 videos are chosen, no contextual jokes typically, but they do their little "lets go watch it!" thing
They watch the videos
they go back and do the transition bits for in between videos.
discussion after everything

i have to re-examine the latest episode a bit but i dont remember if they ever go one shot directly from doing a little "transition" bit to spinning the wheel without a cut. they always cut closer to the video anyway, so who knows what the hell is happening.

anyway, thats how i would probably logistically shoot it if i were doing the production, personally. in my head i just feel like its definitely not "shown as shot" and there's some logistical time saving involved in the production somewhere. also, if they did it like this it would be easier to "hide" that they chose something on purpose if they ever do
Yeah, it makes sense that they film the wheel bits after the fact. But sometimes there is just weird stuff, like how in one episode they skipped a video entirely (the makeup one), or the one where they did an "extra" spin because the videos were too short. It makes sense that it's all planned out and the wheel stuff is just fluff anyway, but why would they pick these three crappy videos for this latest episode? lol

Yeah, it makes sense that they film the wheel bits after the fact. But sometimes there is just weird stuff, like how in one episode they skipped a video entirely (the makeup one), or the one where they did an "extra" spin because the videos were too short. It makes sense that it's all planned out and the wheel stuff is just fluff anyway, but why would they pick these three crappy videos for this latest episode? lol

I'm sure they still have no idea how bad the videos actually are. I mean, what are the odds any of them watched all of the videos twice just to ensure they get some good ones after the wheel is spun?

I get the feeling they largely just let the wheel do what it does, but they also aren't afraid to curve the odds here and there if they think one video is going to be particularly good.

Worth it for the "DONE" look on Rich's face though. Also, youtube has gotten the make-up market covered, so doing it for a BotW is not just boring, you can't even make jokes about it.
Just try it: find a random beauty vlog on Youtube and try making joking commentary to it. You will fail miserably.

And pretending aside: it is called a torture device for a reason.

Also: was I the only one to immediately wonder if "callsification" was a real word and
not a misspell
? There was another right after though, as well as near the end. The wonders of having to read subs your entire life: you notice those things right away.

The Jessi thing has prompted wild rumors on the more, uh, hardcore fan sites, like that she was caught by some fans buying jewelry with what was assumed to be Patreon money, or that she's pregnant with like Wizard's baby, or other such things, which is pretty entertaining.

Who knows, though. Could be any of a number of different explanations.

davepoobond

The Jessi thing has prompted wild rumors on the more, uh, hardcore fan sites, like that she was caught by some fans buying jewelry with what was assumed to be Patreon money, or that she's pregnant with like Wizard's baby, or other such things, which is pretty entertaining.

im scared that this obsession might get even more out of hand. perhaps streisand effect is happening now because theyre "seemingly" hiding her.

what the heck is a hardcore rlm fansite?

Also, as I mentioned a few posts ago when I made the joke, she hasn't even been gone that long. Part of the problem is that they all seldom sit and watch the movies anymore, and the time between episodes have been longer so it just feels longer.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm sure they still have no idea how bad the videos actually are. I mean, what are the odds any of them watched all of the videos twice just to ensure they get some good ones after the wheel is spun?

I get the feeling they largely just let the wheel do what it does, but they also aren't afraid to curve the odds here and there if they think one video is going to be particularly good.
Oh, I'm sure they've never seen them, but probably try to hedge their bets a little. Like how the Donut one was a bust, but they happened to have a backup video to watch instead.

Worth it for the "DONE" look on Rich's face though. Also, youtube has gotten the make-up market covered, so doing it for a BotW is not just boring, you can't even make jokes about it.
Just try it: find a random beauty vlog on Youtube and try making joking commentary to it. You will fail miserably.

And pretending aside: it is called a torture device for a reason.
Oh, I'm sure they had nothing to work with, but you could imagine they using that just for comedic effect and to get it off the wheel.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Watching past Wheel of the Worst episodes. Think I have my favorite moment.

TKyrav0.gif

komplanen

First question: How the hell could someone tell what money is "Patreon money"?

Second question: Anyone know what piano song Jack was talking about in one of their live streams? He said something about reddit asking Mike to tell what the piano song is but Mike doesn't want to say just because so many people want to know and thus people on Reddit pieced together some franken-song from various videos.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
wheel of the worst is the worst rlm feature by far. it's like the shitty version of best of the worst yet somehow involving the same people.

dealwit

jgminto

I feel like their inexperience with Lucasarts and other classic point and clicks really shows in that PreRec. Rich talks about how the puzzles are the same as other point and click games but that's not the case at all. A lot of the puzzles in the second half of Broken Age force you to go back and forth across the map for information and if you get it wrong, back you go across the map. There's no actual problem solving there, just memorising.

Top Bottom