• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

komplanen

I sometimes toy with the idea of becoming a true patriot for a price of 15 buckaroos but I was wondering if their patriot content is worth it?

Myggen

I liked Jurassic Park 3.

There I said it.

sdfgheou09.gif

Grinchy

Banned
I liked Jurassic Park 3.

There I said it.

I honestly have a hard time believing that it's possible to like that movie.

I tried to watch the trilogy last year or something. I made it through the second one despite not liking it. The third one, I got maybe 30 minutes in. Everything about it was so bad.

NR1

I think Jay will mention how fun the movie was, but Mike is probably going to tear it apart.

I think the exact opposite. Jay may enjoy it, but I think he is going to be pretty critical of it. Mike is just going to say it doesn't try to be anything other than what it knows it is, and for what it is, it is good. I think they will both agree is isn't as good as Park, but it is the best Jurassic sequel.

I hope they bring Rich and Jack into the discussion. If they do, then I expect Rich to hate it and Jack to enjoy it.

Calcium

Banned
I think the exact opposite. Jay may enjoy it, but I think he is going to be pretty critical of it. Mike is just going to say it doesn't try to be anything other than what it knows it is, and for what it is, it is good. I think they will both agree is isn't as good as Park, but it is the best Jurassic sequel.

I hope they bring Rich and Jack into the discussion. If they do, then I expect Rich to hate it and Jack to enjoy it.

We'll see. I think both of them will say the last 40 minutes or so was enjoyable. I think Rich being in the discussion is likely with them making a podcast review related to the HitB. He'll probably be present for both, so we get another random character for Rich Evans to play.

Fox318

I was nice knowing you. Soon they will come and take you to the place you belong.
Farewell friend.
Its way better than 2 and World.

I honestly have a hard time believing that it's possible to like that movie.

I tried to watch the trilogy last year or something. I made it through the second one despite not liking it. The third one, I got maybe 30 minutes in. Everything about it was so bad.

Man I liked it. Its dumb in ways I can enjoy where I'm not questioning characters motives. Like bringing a T-Rex to LA is dumb as fuck considering what happened on the island.

NR1

Man I liked it. Its dumb in ways I can enjoy where I'm not questioning characters motives. Like bringing a T-Rex to LA is dumb as fuck considering what happened on the island.

Invading Iraq is dumb as fuck considering what happened in Afghanistan... Vietnam... Korea...

As long as somebody fucking mentions the dude running with the two margaritas then i'll count it as a victory.

komplanen

Rich: Hates. Mentions science, evidence etc.
Mike: Hates. Mentions some good action scene as the high point
Jay: Likes it a lot but weirdly agrees with almost all of Mike's critique
Jack: Laughs annoyingly
Jessi: in Cancun with Patreon money to party and have abortion

Toa TAK

Banned
Mike and Jay's reactions are each the opposite of what I would have expected. :p
Yeah, I was pretty surprised about how each enjoyed it. Maybe not so much Jay, but Mike, definitely.

SJW was great, and I'll be hitting up their audio commentary for JP. Also, Mike was on the ball with this one, especially when he hits up Ellie Sattler for Jay.

Main argument I could see is that the strong independent woman who don't need no family
ends up wanting to have babies with pratt
at the end. But I don't really care.

She doesn't though. If anything she learns not to be so emotionally distant from her family.

Where do people pull that from???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!!!1111/////

Woah, I can't remember the last time Jay and Mike had totally polarizing opinions about a movie like that. I agree with Mike by the way, I fucking loved it. Had an absolute blast watching it.

"Sensitive Josh Whedon" is one of the funnier uses of that acronym that had an actual point behind it instead of just being used as a lazy ad hominem. I like Whedon a ton but there's a certain irony behind criticizing an out of context scene you saw a few seconds of when Avengers 2 also had people nitpick the shit out of a scene taken out of context to prove it was sexist.

Surprised they dug World though, it looked pretty typical blockbuster fare to me before the box office numbers came in.

Majine

Banned
It was nice to see them having arguments, unlike the unanimous Mad Max review which was about as dry as the scenery in that movie.

Calcium

Banned
I think the exact opposite. Jay may enjoy it, but I think he is going to be pretty critical of it. Mike is just going to say it doesn't try to be anything other than what it knows it is, and for what it is, it is good.

Wow, you called that one.

I completely agree with Mike on this movie. It was really fun, but they should have axed the whole InGen/military subplot. I'm looking forward to listening to the Jurassic Park commentary, I'll probably listen to it while I play the LEGO game.

I feel more like Jay does. There was some fun stuff but overall disappointed.

I'm actually surprised at some of the stuff Mike talked about. The scene that is "sexist" isn't bad because of some sense of sexism. It's bad because it's so forced and you don't feel any chemistry between the two. But to each their own.

Shy

Best joke in newest HitB was Jack and Rich pretending to go to E3. That's like Mike going to the Boyhood Expo.
I love the fact that now mike and jay have to work for rich and jack. given how IRL mike gives not a single fuck about games, and jay mildly tolerates them.
It make it all the more funnier.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I love the fact that now mike and jay have to work for rich and jack. given how IRL mike gives not a single fuck about games, and jay mildly tolerates them.
It make it all the more funnier.

i thought what was funny was Rich is growing a beard and the character in the repair store Rich has a beard as a different character, but then when they went to Plinkett in the house he also has a beard to signify that he's been there a long time, so it works in both instances

So, I haven't seen the JW HitB episode yet, but I did see the movie opening morning and found it very underwhelming and lazy/cynical for a lot of it (so feel free to ignore my thoughts). With that said, I think what people don't understand is that it is possible to like a movie that is "problematic". You can like Gone With the Wind without being a racist or you can like Kick-Ass without being a homophobe. Jurassic World has major problems (my thoughts are about second or third page in the spoiler OT for what I found wrong with the movie), but I think you have to be willfully ignorant to not see ANY sexist elements in the way Howard's character is presented. No, it's not the most sexist or misogynist Hollywood movie ever made (anyone seen the comedy Tomcats?), but it has issues. And it doesn't make you a terrible person for liking the movie despite it. And, movies aren't 100% misogynist or not (just like they aren't 100% feminist or not). And, just because lots of other movies do certain things does not excuse this movie.

Maybe it is an insularity/bubble thing where you don't understand or see the outdated archetype of her character or the running in heals or various story beats or whatever, but they are there, many neutral critics have observed them and pointed them out. And, again, it doesn't mean you are a terrible person for liking the film.

So, I haven't seen the JW HitB episode yet, but I did see the movie opening morning and found it very underwhelming and lazy/cynical for a lot of it (so feel free to ignore my thoughts). With that said, I think what people don't understand is that it is possible to like a movie that is "problematic". You can like Gone With the Wind without being a racist or you can like Kick-Ass without being a homophobe. Jurassic World has major problems (my thoughts are about second or third page in the spoiler OT for what I found wrong with the movie), but I think you have to be willfully ignorant to not see ANY sexist elements in the way Howard's character is presented. No, it's not the most sexist or misogynist Hollywood movie ever made (anyone seen the comedy Tomcats?), but it has issues. And it doesn't make you a terrible person for liking the movie despite it. And, movies aren't 100% misogynist or not (just like they aren't 100% feminist or not). And, just because lots of other movies do certain things does not excuse this movie.

Maybe it is an insularity/bubble thing where you don't understand or see the outdated archetype of her character or the running in heals or various story beats or whatever, but they are there, many neutral critics have observed them and pointed them out. And, again, it doesn't mean you are a terrible person for liking the film.
Sadly, I have. Went with my friends from Chicago when they were in town. They liked Shasta McNasty so they wanted to see Jake Busey. I have never seen such a terrible film. Like, there were only two other people in the audience and not a single laugh throughout the entire film. It was quite the experience.

Top Bottom