• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red meat triggers toxic immune reaction which causes cancer, scientists find

Status
Not open for further replies.
The clear answer here is the paint the meat like green or something.
Green = health pickups, we all know this.

Green_eggs_and_ham.gif

Why waste your money on paint when you could just wait.

If eating red meat does indeed cause an immune system response and inflamation, wouldn't we feel it?

If I eat a reasonably nutritious homemade meal, such as my regular grilled 1/3 chicken breast (hormone and steroid free etc), with Terrisus ;) and either white rice or Oreida french fries (grilled), it's gone in a few minutes and my body digests it with ease (no bloating etc). But in the past, when I've had a tasty pork center cut steak or on rare occasions, a NY strip steak, I can't recall feeling any different. If my immune system was triggered, wouldn't I get like a mild fever or something?

robochimp

Daniel B·;145538374 said:
If eating red meat does indeed cause an immune system response and inflamation, wouldn't we feel it?

If I eat a reasonably nutritious homemade meal, such as my regular grilled 1/3 chicken breast (hormone and steroid free etc), with Terrisus ;) and either white rice or Oreida french fries (grilled), it's gone in a few minutes and my body digests it with ease (no bloating etc). But in the past, when I've had a tasty pork center cut steak or on rare occasions, a NY strip steak, I can't recall feeling any different. If my immune system was triggered, wouldn't I get like a mild fever or something?

The study stated that the liver is a prime target for taking up the compound, I'm not sure you would notice that. Your GI tract pretty much always has some sort of immune response going on with out you knowing it.

I wonder how our ancestors did it for so long? This seems like a study that was looking for the answers it wanted to find. So it found them.

t26

I wonder how our ancestors did it for so long? This seems like a study that was looking for the answers it wanted to find. So it found them.

1. Our ancestors don't eat as much meat
2. They probably died due to something else before getting cancer.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This can't be good for low-carbers.

Nothing has changed. People who go low-carb will already be dramatically reducing inflammation from various carbohydrate-based foods.

1. Our ancestors don't eat as much meat
2. They probably died due to something else before getting cancer.

I'd imagine that meat was a delicacy to our ancestors but I guarantee you they ate it, and it more than likely provided enough if not better nutrition than berries and shrubs they were eating. It was just harder to catch.

2. So are you saying that if they hadn't died to the many other factors, we'd have a bunch of cavemen with cancer? Ya no.

xbhaskarx

But for the first time scientists think they know what is causing the effect. The body, it seems, views red meat as a foreign invader and sparks a toxic immune response.

Researchers have always been puzzled about how other mammals could eat a diet high in red meat without any adverse health consequences.

Now they have discovered that pork, beef and lamb contains a sugar which is naturally produced by other carnivores but not humans.

"But it's natural!"

robochimp

I'd imagine that meat was a delicacy to our ancestors but I guarantee you they ate it, and it more than likely provided enough if not better nutrition than berries and shrubs they were eating. It was just harder to catch.

2. So are you saying that if they hadn't died to the many other factors, we'd have a bunch of cavemen with cancer? Ya no.

I'm sure eating in general was a delicacy. Cavemen got cancer too, just not the ones that took a half century of various exposures to develop because they didn't live that long.

molnizzle

So how long until I can get a booster shot with that sugar.

I mean it's not like I'm going to stop eating steak.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I don't know how I feel about the large amount of posts in this thread basically saying: "Nu uh. I eat it all the time and I'm not riddled with cancer!"

It's one thing to be skeptical, it's another to outright call them liars or something. Is it a joke I'm missing or something?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

This makes no sense whatsoever.

If carbs like rice is bad due to inflammation, then why do Asians eat it as a staple of their diet everyday?

I eat chicken breast, veggies, and basmati organic brown rice everyday for lunch.

Bessy67

So those cannibal sandwiches I had at Christmas probably did me no favors, huh? Meat doesn't get any redder than that...

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
If carbs like rice is bad due to inflammation, then why do Asians eat it as a staple of their diet everyday?

I eat chicken breast, veggies, and basmati organic brown rice everyday for lunch.

It isn't bad. There is nothing wrong with carbs. Your body needs it.

In reality, a great deal of the foods we eat probably contain some amount of substance that isn't good for us. That is why it is important to have a balanced diet that includes a lot of variety. This mitigates the potential harm done. Sort of like not putting all your eggs in the same basket.

At least you get it mostly when you're over 50/60 years old.
High read meat consumption increases the colon cancer risk then by 28%.

Fuck it, I will gamble.
Will have to give check ups a high priority because if you don't find this kind of cancer early on, it's already too late usually.

Though this is actually good news as the risks were already known for a long time, but knowing why can lead to treatments etc.
You could also create genetically engineered cows (or later on grow muscle tissue) that lack that sugar :p
(if it's the only cause, obviously there are more factors involved as not every meat eater gets it, though that could also just depend on the individual immune systems)

Go_Ly_Dow

Decent quality chicken breast and fish/seafood it is then.

Always felt a bit shitty about eating red meat anyway. The last hotdog and sausage roll I ate both left me feeling like utter shit afterwards.

Silkworm

Guess it's time to genetically modify cows and pigs to not carry the gene for making Neu5Gc. That or modify humans to produce Neu5Gc. It's a risk worth taking! ;-)

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Red meat is literally one of the only unhealthy things I put in my body semi-regularly. Fuck.

I don't think I can give this up man. A hot vegan girl tried to get me to convert and I still didn't budge. That's how much I love meat; I couldn't even humor her about it just to get her more interested in me. I'm in too deep at this point.

Red meat is literally one of the only unhealthy things I put in my body semi-regularly. Fuck.

I don't think I can give this up man. A hot vegan girl tried to get me to convert and I still didn't budge. That's how much I love meat; I couldn't even humor her about it just to get her more interested in me. I'm in too deep at this point.

She wouldn't be worth it anyways. No person is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom