• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red meat triggers toxic immune reaction which causes cancer, scientists find

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I love red meat, but I've never understood why it's so hard for my American friends to just NOT EAT IT.

I have a burger once in a while, sure, but it's really not hard to be a vegetarian. I guess I grew up vegetarian, though, so to me, it tends to taste better over prolonged periods than meat.

tl;dr i love red meat but I could take it or leave it.

That said, I smoke, so I guess cancer is going to get me anyway.

Life causes cancer.

Actual true fact: Life causes death.

rashbeep

Banned
ignorance_is_bliss_matrix.gif

Nice

Volimar

People in this thread have some pretty casual attitudes toward cancer. Don't get me wrong, I don't that I will be making any drastic dietary changes due to this info, but an increased risk of cancer sucks. I've seen people dying of cancer and it definitely doesn't warrant a "well, gotta die of something" response.

Nah.

Article goes onto say...

"Of course, moderate amounts of red meat can be a source of good nutrition for young people. We hope that our work will eventually lead the way to practical solutions for this catch-22."

Red meat is a good source of protein, vitamin and minerals, but an increasing body of research suggests too much is bad for long-term health.

Health experts recommend eating no more than 2.5oz (70g) a day, the equivalent of three slices of ham, one lamb chop or two slices of roast beef a day

Not worried about this shit. You'd probably have to eat a shit load of red meat to increase any remote chance of getting cancer from eat meat.

I love red meat and will continue to eat it, but I have this to say in reaction to this news.

Dear paleo advocates who truly buy into the junk science behind why the diet works (NB I'm not denying it works):

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Welp ... I guess it's good that my budget only allows me to eat chicken, potatoes and noodles.
Guess it's good I got that turkey sausage instead of beef yesterday cause it was cheaper.

Why does everything that's suppose to be bad make me feel so good? :/

Verger

Banned
"Everything in moderation"

Just gotta stick with that. It applies to pretty much everything. Doesn't help when the latest science breakthrough or diet fad comes in that everyone pretty much jumps "all in" to he extreme.

Thanks OP, right when I'm eating this beef stirfry...

On the plus side though, I've cut down my red meat intake by a lot this past few years, so I'm thankfully not too screwed

I love red meat and will continue to eat it, but I have this to say in reaction to this news.

Dear paleo advocates who truly buy into the junk science behind why the diet works (NB I'm not denying it works):

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Kinda related, this sort of thing does scare me a bit. I changed to an anti-inflammatory diet (in some ways it is paleo, if we want to be cute, absurd name) over a year and a half ago to try and manage nerve inflammation from a health condition, and the results in the amount of pain reduction in that time has been pretty incredible. I've had the same amount of pain reduction day to day as my (brief!) experiences on more heavy duty painkillers, ie. ketamine, morphine. I can never really get away with playing up either, the pain is always happily waiting to get worse again - 'ooh, I'll just have some bread!' Alas. Unfortunately, vegetarian protein substitutes, nuts and grains are all nice and inflammatory, too, so that's not an option. I don't eat an excessive amount of red meat in comparison to other types, but I still tend to have a little bit every day for variety. I suppose all anyone can do is to be sensible. Argh. It still concerns me, though.

So sugar is poison, fish is full of mercury, chicken is full of antibiotics and other garbage, and red meat will give you cancer.

Sounds like the ideal human diet should be consuming entirely vegan with maybe insects added in based on recent science.
I've read about the mercury things and heavy metal poisoning because I love fish.

And it seems like most fish is fairly save. Canned tuna seems to have the most, and it usually only has 1 parts per million at most. Which isn't that bad, but you probably shouldn't eat more than can of tuna a week. And if you live in a house with lead paint, you probably get more heavy metals than years of eating fish.

And apparently there's lead on the roads, too. Though since it's been a long time since people used lead in gasoline, and a lot of roads have been replaced, a lot of it has been absorbed into the soil. Though it's not nearly as bad as being around an old home with peeling lead paint. And even worse if you've been sanding it or doing something that could make you inhale it.

So if you've lived in any neighborhoods with old homes that didn't have the lead abated or painted over, you've probably had more heavy metals in you than years worth of fish mercury.

But I guess I'm kind of biased, because I really like eating fish.

Until a long-term randomized trial shows that red meat substantially increases the risk of dying (and not just a statistically significant difference, but a large effect size as well), I will continue enjoying red med, molecular studies be damned.
I dunno, when a National Cattlemen's Beef Association and the National Pork Board-funded meta-analysis of prospective studies still found a statistically-significant association between red meat consumption and colorectal cancer, that's better than anything else. An industry-funded study in 2011 still couldn't reverse the conclusion to support their own industry. These are the best types of studies, since the statistics blew through all the biases.

Edit:
I'm waiting for the next study that says it cures cancer (You know it's coming).
No, it's not coming. We've known the association between red meat intake and colorectal cancer for decades. This new study is another drop in the bucket.

Mrmartel

Banned
I'm waiting for the next study that says it cures cancer (You know it's coming). Either way after travelling Europe every year for the last 5 years, I'd say that all of North America food is slowly killing us compared to what they eat over there (excluding English Isles, it's NA lite food)

zaccheus

Banned
My dad warned me of this for years. My Dad's side of the family is germanic and all have very high susceptibility to getting heart diseases. As the years went on, my aunt my uncle my grandpa all started being diagnosed with it, lo and behold they all consume a huge amount of meat throughout their lives. My dad doesnt eat much meat at all and he's very healthy, and I've followed his example though I still eat a bit of fish here and there and I think I'm pretty well off as well.

It may be genetic though, so I don't know. I have completely lost interest in any sort of land creature meat in general and only eat it when its provided at festivities as to not be rude.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My dad warned me of this for years. My Dad's side of the family is germanic and all have very high susceptibility to getting heart diseases. As the years went on, my aunt my uncle my grandpa all started being diagnosed with it, lo and behold they all consume a huge amount of meat throughout their lives. My dad doesnt eat much meat at all and he's very healthy, and I've followed his example though I still eat a bit of fish here and there and I think I'm pretty well off as well.

It may be genetic though, so I don't know. I have completely lost interest in any sort of land creature meat in general and only eat it when its provided at festivities as to not be rude.

1. This isn't about heart disease.

2. Why are you focusing on meat? I bet if you looked at their lifestyles, you would "lo and behold" find a lot of things they have in common.

Air

Banned
Well I eat bacon once maybe twice a week. Beef is rarer throughout the year, though I do consume more in the summer.

Just be moderate. You shouldn't be eating beef or pork every day, or if you do: very, very little of it.

highrider

Banned
Steak or some red meat dish was always a special occasion thing in my family. I love the taste but I find it kind of heavy feeling after I eat it. I had some roast beef for Christmas dinner and probably won't have it again for months.

Hrothgar

So sugar is poison, fish is full of mercury, chicken is full of antibiotics and other garbage, and red meat will give you cancer.

Sounds like the ideal human diet should be consuming entirely vegan with maybe insects added in based on recent science.

Don't forget the hormones. Male ChickenGAF, enjoy your chicken tits!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Plants give you cancer too since there are pesticides on it.

Wtf are we supposed to do? Standing outside gives you cancer too

Zolf

We just need to evolve the ability to make proper use of meat so that we can take our proper place on top of the food chain. Vegans can devolve into sludge or whatever it is they eat.

Not much of a big deal in our house. We stopped caring about red meat once we learned how to cook. Now we use homegrown spices to make marinades, dry rubs, jerk pastes, and curries for chicken, fish, and paneer.

There's still some recipes I love that traditionally use ground beef but, thankfully, Costco has ground turkey. Haven't looked back once since it turned out amazing for our chili, taco, and kheema recipes.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Actual true fact: Life causes death.

And life itself is all suffering and misery.

Not for me, thankfully

But seriously though, I stopped taking anything food scientists say seriously. Most of the time they're just full of shit.

Granted, I haven't eaten red meat in my life since I prefer chicken, shrimps and fish-food ;)

Grassy

Well I guess I better throw away the rump steaks and scotch fillets I have in my fridge then.

lol no

thuway

I think GAF is being a little silly. This discovery now introduces to scientists one of the fundamental reasons we as humans are getting cancer. This can, hopefully, and inevitably start research to remove the trigger altogether from foods and / or give us an enzyme to properly digest it.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think GAF is being a little silly. This discovery now introduces to scientists one of the fundamental reasons we as humans are getting cancer. This can, hopefully, and inevitably start research to remove the trigger altogether from foods and / or give us an enzyme to properly digest it.
Or its all just bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom