• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GHG

Gold Member
It's unfinished. This feels like they are laying the foundation. Gunplay, level design, atmosphere etc is all pretty good.

My guess is they are trying to avoid Suicide Squad situation by openly announcing it.

Also the tweet I shared implies that developers are ok with reception and will continue to fix it.

Sorry to break it to you but this is what shamelessness looks like:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yikes! I knew about the astroturfing and programs. I also wrote about the Xbox Ambassador program in detail.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/phil...-hear-the-feedback-ign.1636574/post-266168788

But I didn't know about this Phil/Discord thing. That's extremely wrong if he was indeed directly a part of that. I wish somebody could post screenshots of that if that's real.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The mods might want to look into this, it's pretty blatant:

@ryantetric

JbPWL0o.jpg

@BlackProdigy

FMTeG3y.jpg
Mmm why?

People can enjoy mediocre games aswell.

And coop make even the shittiest game kinda fun.

Edit: ok i get it.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Thankfully not, I'm gonna wait till the performance is better.

Don't confuse me citing those games as an apology for redfall, I'm just not agreeing with the comments that game pass is to blame here.
So you are saying that if gamepass didnt exist, MS would have released this game anyway at this state at full 70$ ?? ....

Last edited:

nbkicker

Well played 15 min last night , will be leaving it till see what updates come out, dont no why but all my corsair fans leds started started stuttering when booting into the game, then all my fans in pc case where blasting on full power after 5min, yet can play rdr2,hitman etc and fans no where near what this game was causing pc todo

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
What am I missing here? Played 2 hours last night on XSX and thought it was good. Seemed to be decent frame rate, looked good, and was pretty fun. Didn't run into any glitches. Are the issues on PC only? Are the haters Sony fans? I just don't see why everyone is piling on. Maybe the crap is later....but I didn't see any big issues. I was having fun but then had to go to bed.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

What am I missing here? Played 2 hours last night on XSX and thought it was good. Seemed to be decent frame rate, looked good, and was pretty fun. Didn't run into any glitches. Are the issues on PC only? Are the haters Sony fans? I just don't see why everyone is piling on. Maybe the crap is later....but I didn't see any big issues. I was having fun but then had to go to bed.
Yeah the game has an 63 metacritc all composed of sony fans bashing this good game .. you got us

Rien

Jelly Belly

What’s your favourite console (this gen)?

Last edited:

Gorgon

The problem isn't that the game can't be reasonably fun, especially in co-op, even if it has technical and design issues. There's piles of shovelware on PS and XBox and some of them are actually enjoyable. The difference, however, is that no one marketed those games as the next big AAA exclusive banger and asked 70USD/eu for them. If there had been no insane hyping and marketing for this and the game had an asking price of 30 bucks at launch no one reasonable would be shitting on it.

Orbital2060

I think a big part of the problem here is that people playing on Xbox mainly feel a bit letdown by the delta between the level of polish and fidelity on first party PlayStation games and first party Xbox games. Sony released the Burning Shores DLC which looks amazing, and I think Redfall is being judged on how big the difference is in the graphical department and playtesting and all that. Its a shame we dont have more games pushing the Series X now three years into the gen. And all of these frustrations are brought down on Arkanes shoulders in this case, maybe also adding narratives from the ABK deal into the mix in the current climate. Which is unfair on Arkane imo because theyve probably tried their hardest to get this together in a timely fashion.

But Xbox really needs to deliver a lot more games that live up to peoples expectations from now on.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You didnt respond my question ... do you think MS would have realeased this game in this state anyway if gamepass didnt exist ?

I don't know what MS would have done. I do know that retail games have been released in similar states on platforms without any subscription service so I'm just not understanding your point. This is not a unique phenomenon.

Bernardougf

I don't know what MS would have done. I do know that retail games have been released in similar states on platforms without any subscription service so I'm just not understanding your point. This is not a unique phenomenon.
Well you said that gamepass existence is not to blame for the gaming launching in this state.. so the obvious conclusion is that MS would have realeased this game in this unfinished mess state anyway with or without gamepass. What other companys do with other games we can discuss it in another topic so stop trying to deflate and strawman it.... this is about redfall and my question was a simple yes or no question ... and if you have to say I DONT KNOW WHAT THEY WOULD DO is more than enough to conclude that if gamepass didnt exist they might not have launched. So your answer about gamepass is bullshit and you know it.

Last edited:
So far I've found out it's the opposite for PlayStation-centric review websites. They rarely give inflated reviews. If anything, I've seen them being more harsh on PlayStation games than other websites.

Here are 3 latest reviews by each PlayStation website of a Sony first-party exclusive game.

59MIOt8.jpg
F0nvyf2.jpg
KcQfwGb.jpg

These reviews are either at par or below the average meta score.

On the other hand, some of these Xbox related websites go overboard. For example, these websites are handing out 8.5s and 9s to Redfall, which (after being already influenced by these numbers) is still sitting at only 63.

If not for these websites, it would have been near 55. So the disparity is huge!

Holy shit, you're actually trying to argue that PlayStation fansites are better than Xbox fansites. I mean, yikes. Had I not seen the Star Wars threads here where warriors are bitching about who has the least shitty version of a game, I would say what you did is the cutest warrior act ever. Cool, you cherry picked a few fansites who slightly under scored some DLC and Ragnorok. I mean I can quickly find the opposite.

Your same PlayStation Universe rated the PS5 version of Ghosts a 95, well above the critic average.
Your same PlayStation Lifestyle rated GT7 a 100, a fucking 100. Also Returnal a 100, lol. Also Miles Morales a 100. Death Stranding? You get a 100!
Your same PushSquare has loads of 100's for Sony games in their history. Death Stranding? 100. Demon's Souls PS5? 100. Tokyo Jungle got a fucking 90 lol.

And of course this is ignoring the numerous other PlayStation fansites on MC that aren't these three you listed. Also, I don't think you understand how MC works. Not all sites are equal. For example, these 8.5's and 9's you're upset about. Well, actually, I don't see a single Xbox fansite on MC that is listed with a 9 for Redfall, let alone multiple since you said "9's". Can you point these out? Your "8.5's" is actually just one, Xbox Era. I see three in the 7's and three in the 6's. Looks like you're upset about a whole bunch of nothing.

So like I said, these websites exist for all platforms and affect the scores of all games. I can't believe you actually went and tried to frame up PlayStation sites as any different and even made cute little screen grabs. What do you want to try to war about next, which platform on MC has the most biased user reviews? Please think that over and in the meantime feel free to link these reviews on MC from fansites giving Redfall multiple 9's, surely you didn't just pull that out of your ass to try and make a point.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
A functioning game that looks and plays like next-gen worth $70.
Has there even been a 'next-gen' only game released for PS or XBox worth $70?

God of War (cross-gen)
Horizon:FW (cross-gen)
RE4 Remake (remake)
Halo Infinite (unfinished)
Horizon 5 (cross-gen)
Redfall (unfinished)

I can't think of any 'next-gen' only AAA game worth it's $70 price yet.

God of War (cross-gen)
RE4 Remake (remake)
Horizon 5 (cross-gen)
Redfall (unfinished)

Isn't this the first Xbox game that skipped last gen?

PS5 has had what, Returnal and R&C? From what I have played of those, neither are worth $70. Thankfully I got Returnal on the extra big ass PS+. And Redfall sure isn't worth $70.

Last edited:

reksveks

Did have a personal script for metacritic score and if sites were skewed towards specific platforms and it didn't really indicate anything, it was too random.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Well you said that gamepass existence is not to blame for the gaming launching in this state.. so the obvious conclusion is that MS would have realeased this game in this unfinished mess state anyway with or without gamepass. What other companys do with other games we can discuss it in another topic so stop trying to deflate and strawman it.... this is about redfall and my question was a simple yes or no question ... and if you have to say I DONT KNOW WHAT THEY WOULD DO is more than enough to conclude that if gamepass didnt exist they might not have launched. So your answer about gamepass is bullshit and you know it.

That's a whole lot of words saying absolutely nothing. Let me try and decipher and address.

1. The game was in development long before Zenimax got acquired. It's initial pitch and development did not start with a game-pass-first mantra in mind.
2. Constantly blaming a service that has nothing to do with it is the actual strawman, not demanding an answer to a purposefully obtuse open-ended question that no one can realistically answer.
3. What other companies do is relevant here because you keep implying that this is the only recent $70 game that has launched in a poor state, regardless of whether it is or isn't on any sub service. We all know that's not the case.

So, in short, if game pass was not a thing at all, none of us can say what would have happened. Maybe MS wouldn't have acquired Zenimax in the first place thus rendering this entire exercise of yours moot.

But in the here and now, the game is out, it's in a poor state, we can all get over that.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Lets talk about the Playstation websites that do the same thing.
Yes, please. If you do know of such websites that regularly inflate their games' review score and we can safely ignore, let us know.

From my understanding and experience, that is not the case.

So far I've found out it's the opposite for PlayStation-centric review websites. They rarely give inflated reviews. If anything, I've seen them being more harsh on PlayStation games than other websites.

Here are 3 latest reviews by each PlayStation website of a Sony first-party exclusive game.

59MIOt8.jpg
F0nvyf2.jpg
KcQfwGb.jpg

These reviews are either at par or below the average meta score.

On the other hand, some of these Xbox related websites go overboard. For example, these websites are handing out 8.5s and 9s to Redfall, which (after being already influenced by these numbers) is still sitting at only 63.

If not for these websites, it would have been near 55. So the disparity is huge!

In comparison, DualShockers, another PlayStation-centric website, has the HIGHEST review score for Redfall PC.

2Acr4t5.jpg

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

AAA gaming in 2023, Just...wow.
And people were shitting on Forspoken (which from my understanding has pretty much the same score on MC with Redfall).

Let's call a spade a spade, shall we ? That 60+ MC score is inflated, this is a 3 out of 10 game through and through with absolutely no redeeming factors/characteristics/values - bad graphics, terrible AI, mediocre/bad gameplay and questionable art direction, this, for all intents and purposes, is still in Alpha state, it's...bad at everything and unfinished.

...and people were shitting on games like Death stranding back in the day; it really boggles the mind and goes to show that it's really all about that persecution complex and not about the "haters" or "PS fans being mean" or even "GAF being GAF", you CAN'T defend this shit no matter how you try to spin it, it's that bad.

I don't care about Xbox anymore but I don't wish them to go under and I also don't know (nor care) who's fault is it that this game got released in this state, what I do care though is people actually defending this abhorrent piece of media just cause it's on their "plastic box of choice®" and the market's "best deal in gaming®" subscription service.
This is a friggin' disgrace and a sad excuse for software.

Last edited:
Holy shit, you're actually trying to argue that PlayStation fansites are better than Xbox fansites. I mean, yikes. Had I not seen the Star Wars threads here where warriors are bitching about who has the least shitty version of a game, I would say what you did is the cutest warrior act ever. Cool, you cherry picked a few fansites who slightly under scored some DLC and Ragnorok. I mean I can quickly find the opposite.

Your same PlayStation Universe rated the PS5 version of Ghosts a 95, well above the critic average.
Your same PlayStation Lifestyle rated GT7 a 100, a fucking 100. Also Returnal a 100, lol. Also Miles Morales a 100. Death Stranding? You get a 100!
Your same PushSquare has loads of 100's for Sony games in their history. Death Stranding? 100. Demon's Souls PS5? 100. Tokyo Jungle got a fucking 90 lol.

And of course this is ignoring the numerous other PlayStation fansites on MC that aren't these three you listed. Also, I don't think you understand how MC works. Not all sites are equal. For example, these 8.5's and 9's you're upset about. Well, actually, I don't see a single Xbox fansite on MC that is listed with a 9 for Redfall, let alone multiple since you said "9's". Can you point these out? Your "8.5's" is actually just one, Xbox Era. I see three in the 7's and three in the 6's. Looks like you're upset about a whole bunch of nothing.

So like I said, these websites exist for all platforms and affect the scores of all games. I can't believe you actually went and tried to frame up PlayStation sites as any different and even made cute little screen grabs. What do you want to try to war about next, which platform on MC has the most biased user reviews? Please think that over and in the meantime feel free to link these reviews on MC from fansites giving Redfall multiple 9's, surely you didn't just pull that out of your ass to try and make a point.
Did you just compare SonySite reviews of GoT/Returnal vs MicrosoftSite reviews of Redfall?
Cmon man. Apples and oranges. MS pushed Redfall, and it's shit. Accept it and move on. I still have high hopes for Starfield.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Deathloop has a 88% MC score. That's nothing even close to "horrendous".
It even got some votes for GotY.

Someone in another thread made a good point. Sony at the last minute threw Destruction All Stars on Plus. Couldnt MS at the last minute decide this shouldn't be $70?

And the score keeps going down.....make it stop.

Macaron

Banned

God of War (cross-gen)
RE4 Remake (remake)
Horizon 5 (cross-gen)
Redfall (unfinished)

Money is relative. Returnal, Ratchet & Clank, Spiderman before the PC ports, Demon Souls. Those off the top of my head are all AMAZING and worth every penny so long as you aren't someone who has to fit these purchases into a budget.

Bojji

Good franerate? Hahahaha.

Top Bottom