• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Krathoon

Gold Member
I don't know. If you can finish the game, I would not call it a trainwreck. It is just unpolished.
If enemies were spazzing out an glitching all over the place, it would be another story.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Just played a few hours on PC as Dev, and it was pretty fun overall. The gunplay feels like Deathloop or B4B. There's tons of resources and loot to collect, found a bunch of decent weapons. I tried to not watch too much of the previews and whatnot but it's what I was expecting so far for the most part. I didn't run into anything so far that was buggy or weird, but then again didn't play coop yet. Does it really become that bad after many more hours?? And this is coming from playing a lot of Dead Island 2, in which I need to finish that first before getting too into this one. The outrage of the internet doesn't surprise me anymore but I dunno what people were expecting.
A functioning game that looks and plays like next-gen worth $70.

Jerm411

I still can’t believe a certain outlet (if you can call them that) gave this an 8.5….

I mean knowing who they are and the reviewer is I for sure get it but it’s one of the most disingenuous things I’ve ever seen.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I still can’t believe a certain outlet (if you can call them that) gave this an 8.5….

I mean knowing who they are and the reviewer is I for sure get it but it’s one of the most disingenuous things I’ve ever seen.
There are like 10 such websites that inflate Metacritic numbers.
  1. Generación Xbox
  2. SomosXbox
  3. XboxAddict
  4. Stevivor
  5. Xbox Tavern
  6. MondoXbox
  7. Xbox Achievements
  8. Pure Xbox
  9. TheXboxHub
  10. XboxEra

Last edited:

No offense but I mean… why is it surprising to you? It happens with every game the big three releases. There are platform specific sites for everything that inflate the numbers.

Topfuel

Matt Purslow - IGN gave Death Loop a 10/10 when it max is a 7/10 game.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Deus Ex was definitely a political work, about the role of government in a post augmented society. Theme's of 'the individual vs Groupthink'. It's not Smith's writing, as Sheldon Pacotti did the heavy lifting there. But all throughout their games (from the Looking Glass days) they're is a noticable through line that these games want to be 'about something meaningful or insightful' and demonstrating these ideas through gameplay systems and runtime simulations. And I feel that they've kinda lost that over that years. Especially with this one, being a more looter shooter type deal instead of a immersive sim.
Well, I suppose I don't call that politics as much as I call it philosophy. But otherwise, we agree.

What Smith is proposing thematically here isn't very subtle or deep, which I agree. Dishonored felt the same way to me. Just by the numbers anti-established retoric without any 'teeth'. But I would've expected MS or Bethesda PR giving a more sterilized versions of his interviews.
Fair enough. PR is very pragmatic that way though. Doesn't matter if everyone on the team doesn't actually believe that shit; they'll say it if they think it makes them look good.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We’re witnessing a peasants revolt, can’t wait for Microsoft to crush them all and get them back in line.
giphy.gif

hyperbertha

Do you think perhaps they lost key people? Because this is very uncharacteristic of them. Though one would think that any high profile departures would have been news as it seems to be these days. I don't remember any such news.
Yes they lost key people such as glitch fixer, shadow correcter, t pose remover, walking animator, chimney fixer, glass sound putter and cutscene maker.

They were rushed

skit_data

Gold Member
Does anyone else find this guy insanely annoying?

I don’t want to be cruel, but his voice and bizarre intonation drives me round the bend.

He also sounds like he has rabies.
I want to blow my nose everytime I hear him, he must have a perpetual cold or something

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
There are like 10 such websites that inflate Metacritic numbers.
  1. Generación Xbox
  2. SomosXbox
  3. XboxAddict
  4. Stevivor
  5. Xbox Tavern
  6. MondoXbox
  7. Xbox Achievements
  8. Pure Xbox
  9. TheXboxHub
  10. XboxEra
And weirdly enough but over the years, I found the french site xboxygen pretty neutral even for a "normal" gaming website.They can criticize ms when they make mistakes, something that those you quoted and some people here can't do.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Santa Claus is gonna be royally fucked when he comes to redfall.

Santa is coming through the door, he knows the house not only has a fake chimney but also a fake hearth.

MarkyG

Played this on PC GamePass with a couple of friends. You can see slight glimmers of classic Arkane in there... then the rubber banding, lag, stutter, shadow glitches, hit registration issues, animation glitching, texture streaming issues start to kick in.

BlueLyria

For the people who played it, is the audio incredibly out of Sync? Every clip I've watched of this game is super out of sync, on both my pc and phone.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's a GAAS title. Still in production.

Likely they took out all indicators of it after Suicide Squad debacle.
Not at all. It's not in production; the game has been released. There may be patches, sure, but that does not mean "it's still in production."

The game has 0 elements of a GaaS game: no MTX, no post-release expansion packs, no matchmaking, no PvP, no battle passes.

It's not a GaaS game; 0 evidence of it.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
"We are proud of what we've produced."

Cringe Reaction GIF

Pretty big yikes, yeah. But honestly we can't knock the devs unless we know what happened. These people aren't idiots, of course they knew the abysmal state of the game prior to launch. They might've been working on a shoestring budget, terrible deadlines, staff shortages, poor management, publisher breathing down their necks.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No offense but I mean… why is it surprising to you? It happens with every game the big three releases. There are platform specific sites for everything that inflate the numbers.
So far I've found out it's the opposite for PlayStation-centric review websites. They rarely give inflated reviews. If anything, I've seen them being more harsh on PlayStation games than other websites.

Here are 3 latest reviews by each PlayStation website of a Sony first-party exclusive game.

59MIOt8.jpg
F0nvyf2.jpg
KcQfwGb.jpg

These reviews are either at par or below the average meta score.

On the other hand, some of these Xbox related websites go overboard. For example, these websites are handing out 8.5s and 9s to Redfall, which (after being already influenced by these numbers) is still sitting at only 63.

If not for these websites, it would have been near 55. So the disparity is huge!

Last edited:
Me and my friends have decided to leave the game for abit on pc until the performance is sorted. Completely sucks the fun out of the game.

I feel sorry for anyone who buys garbage like this at full price.

Mr.ODST

I think Respawn are clowns for releasing Jedi Survivor the way they did, but underneath the bugs is probably the best Star Wars anything we've seen in years.
I agree, Jedi Survivor is an exceptional game and probably the best Star Wars game we have been given, the bugs havent annoyed me much because the game is good, Redfall isnt that bad but the bugs are GLARING especially with AI

M1987

Dormant accounts coming out of the woodwork to copy and paste identical posts across the two primary Redfall threads.

But considering recent revelations from Banjo64 Banjo64 and SlimySnake SlimySnake nothing is surprising anymore.
What revelations? I can understand people who might have enjoyed the game, but to say what were people expecting,like it's in any way acceptable to release a game in this state is a joke

GHG

Gold Member
Last edited:
Not at all. It's not in production; the game has been released. There may be patches, sure, but that does not mean "it's still in production."

The game has 0 elements of a GaaS game: no MTX, no post-release expansion packs, no matchmaking, no PvP, no battle passes.

It's not a GaaS game; 0 evidence of it.

It's unfinished. This feels like they are laying the foundation. Gunplay, level design, atmosphere etc is all pretty good.

My guess is they are trying to avoid Suicide Squad situation by openly announcing it.

Also the tweet I shared implies that developers are ok with reception and will continue to fix it.

Top Bottom