• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

STARSBarry

Gold Member
tx4psWE.jpg

to be fair one of those titles only runs at 30 FPS and... oh fuck...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I wouldn't say it has "fantastic gameplay", far from it, but having watched the worth a buy and skill up reviews it's nowhere near as bad as what's on show here.

This is flat out broken in most key metrics.

no-i-dont-think.gif
It is such an industry fail to put these 2 games in the same scores range.
Forspoken might be cringe and story might be badly paced. Didn't bother me but I can see how it is not to everyone's liking.
But other than that, it's a good looking (now also patched and good running) fully finished and featured game. it is not broken.
Scoring it in low 60 beacuse "bad character memes on twitter" is a tragedy. or maybe redfall 60s scores are way too high. Either way, the game review score range is from 60-95 apparently.

As for Forpsoken Gameply - I don't want to oversell it. Don't get me wrong!
All I am saying is that gameplay got some depth to it and is fully featured. It is engaging. The movement is satsfying, the combat can be challenging and you unlock new powers the whole game

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Colt Eastwood finally realising how fucking stupid it is for a console's success to have every game come out at the same time on PC is one for the ages.

Congrats, dickwad. The blindingly obvious has finally become known to you.

It was SO FRUSRATING when the whole gaming media got on Sony for not following MS' lead with Gamepass and putting every 1st party game on their new service day one and with a PC release day one also. Half of GAF felt the same way and I never understood how people couldn't understand just how STUPID that was.

They even managed to break Paul Tassi, he looks defeated:

I watched CrapGamer review. I was curious how he'd spin it, especially seeing the title was, "Redfall scores terribly. The media hates Xbox and loves PlayStation"

But, in his video he went a different route. He went with fanboys were just making a big deal because they haven't released a low scoring AAA game in so long.

He's right. Xbox did not release a single AAA game in all of 2022 and 2033 that scored below a 98 metacritic until Redfall.

GHG

Gold Member
I watched CrapGamer review. I was curious how he'd spin it, especially seeing the title was, "Redfall scores terribly. The media hates Xbox and loves PlayStation"

But, in his video he went a different route. He went with fanboys were just making a big deal because they haven't released a low scoring AAA game in so long.

He's right. Xbox did not release a single AAA game in all of 2022 and 2033 that scored below a 98 metacritic until Redfall.

All of this is a "litmus test" moment as far as I'm concerned. I'm watching to see who is trying to downplay this disaster or even say that it's "good"/"not that bad" or words to that effect. There is a permanent mental shit-list that is being built of individuals and outlets whose options I can safely ignore/disregard in the future.

In fairness though, so far there have been little to no surprises as to whom those people are so far.

Pelta88

GAF. I present to you Damage control that is so convoluted, it needs to be encapsulated for posterity...

"Redfall doesn't even vaguely approach the quality bar expected of Arkane, and indeed, Xbox itself. However, I have been told by multiple sources that Xbox was entirely hands-off with the project, and that the game doesn't fall under Xbox Game Studios' director Matt Booty's responsibilities — because rightly or wrongly, right now, Arkane is not an Xbox Game Studio by internal definition." - Jez

Can you imagine PlayStation claiming that they don't really own insom?

tenor.gif

Last edited:
All of this is a "litmus test" moment as far as I'm concerned. I'm watching to see who is trying to downplay this disaster or even say that it's "good"/"not that bad" or words to that effect. There is a permanent mental shit-list that is being built of individuals and outlets whose options I can safely ignore/disregard in the future.

In fairness though, so far there have been little to no surprises as to whom those people are so far.

“It’s fine “ is usually the go to quote for some of those people .

Saying “it’s fine “ is hardly a glowing endorsement

GAF. I present to you Damage control that is so convoluted, it needs to be encapsulated for posterity...

"Redfall doesn't even vaguely approach the quality bar expected of Arkane, and indeed, Xbox itself. However, I have been told by multiple sources that Xbox was entirely hands-off with the project, and that the game doesn't fall under Xbox Game Studios' director Matt Booty's responsibilities — because rightly or wrongly, right now, Arkane is not an Xbox Game Studio by internal definition." - Jez

tenor.gif
Strange how Arkane canceled the PS5 version all on their own with no outside influences coming from Microsoft.

tenor.gif

That guy does more harm than good. He’s always got some narrative to push.

As soon as Starfield was delayed he was right in there with “got a backlog anyway”. Suddenly the fan base in general were saying the same thing, Series X Reddit was full of the same quotes.

avin

They even managed to break Paul Tassi, he looks defeated:

"one of the worst AAA releases he has ever played"

"I can't find anything redeeming about Redfall, in any category of the game"
Thank you for the succinct summary. I'm not sure why people feel the need to make these ridiculously long videos that say absolutely nothing that you or I couldn't say in fifteen seconds, but it seems to be a baked-in "feature" of gaming in these times.

avin

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Thats an example of a question I'd like to see answered. I always assumed support was available but maybe it isn't. We know Coalition helps the State of Decay devs a bit. Not sure specifically what help Arkane would get and from who. I vaguely remember hearing about id helping them with gunplay.

So where is all that MS money going to then?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
So where is all that MS money going to then?
We know they pay salaries, marketing, GP deals, 3rd party deals. Just said I'd appreciate more detail on what support they have. Just out of curiosity. We know Coalition helped a little bit and they have some inter-studio seminars.

Bernardougf

Dog Reaction GIF

There is far more wrong with Redfall than just "bugs bro"

Try all of the above. Shit graphics, shit performance, shit story, shit characters, shit gameplay, shit AI, etc, etc..
I know.... was just joking because I really dislike TLOU2 ... redfall is another cosmic level of shit

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is so colossally fucking stupid I don't know where to start. The developer owned outright by Microsoft for three years has nothing to do with Xbox.

...and if Redfall had been a 95% critical darling, I guess no one would be claiming it was Xbox's triumph, would they?

Get the fuck outta here :messenger_tears_of_joy:

To be fair, hi fi rush was praised and there was plenty of " this has nothing to do with Microsoft it was in development before the purchase and should have come to ps5...xbox had nothing to do with it" type comments.

Thank you for the succinct summary. I'm not sure why people feel the need to make these ridiculously long videos that say absolutely nothing that you or I couldn't say in fifteen seconds, but it seems to be a baked-in "feature" of gaming in these times.

avin
i'm thinking that it's either an attempt to monetize themselves, or that they're simply 'lookin' for love in all the wrong places'...

Baki

tenor.gif
Bungie would be a better example. I do agree though. It's on MS. A real shame, I like Arkane games a lot. I was quite hyped.

Baki

Amazing... listening to interviews of Arkane leading up to Deathloop giving Sony effusive praise about the Support they received and we are supposed to believe Microsoft gave little to no input/support for Redfall? They don't look good either way it just makes the situation worse
They might not have the same support setup. PS Studios clearly has a good overall support infrastructure. No idea what MS support structure is like. It might be non-existent.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Goes to show the absolute lack of balls these outlets have.

This game makes Forspoken look like a masterpiece. How they are within 2 points of each other is dog shit.

USE THE FULL SCALE. I want to see RED. Not yellow.

I want to see 20s and 30s, not 60's.

Forspoken was a 6/10.

Redfall is a 2 or 3/10 at BEST.

Why do they have the same MC score? Are you scared to score below 6/10?

5/10 is a PASS. 6/10 means its Better than a pass. Its almost decent.

Where is this industries balls? Standards?

Call them the fuck out. Drop some 2 and 3/10's and really let these publishers and developers know that trash like this isn't acceptable. Not even for Gamepass filler.

The game is literally unfinished. It should be nothing higher than a 3. 30% on MC. Full out RED.

6/10. Give me a break.

my god.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
I really hope they patch the game up like Cyberpunk.

I am sure Arkane will try to redeem themselves.

I will probably stay away from the game until they release a major patch.

Goes to show the absolute lack of balls these outlets have.

This game makes Forspoken look like a masterpiece. How they are within 2 points of each other is dog shit.

USE THE FULL SCALE. I want to see RED. Not yellow.

I want to see 20s and 30s, not 60's.

Forspoken was a 6/10.

Redfall is a 2 or 3/10 at BEST.

Why do they have the same MC score? Are you scared to score below 6/10?

5/10 is a PASS. 6/10 means its Better than a pass. Its almost decent.

Where is this industries balls? Standards?

Call them the fuck out. Drop some 2 and 3/10's and really let these publishers and developers that trash like this isn't acceptable.

The game is literally unfinished. It should be nothing higher than a 3. 30% on MC. Full out RED.

6/10. Give me a break.

my god.
I was just thinking this. After seeing all the gameplay videos, there is absolutely no way this game deserves a 62. That seems way too high. It's like they are scared to anger an important player like Microsoft more than absolutely necessary.

Top Bottom