• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bragr

Banned
I feel like increasing the number of enemies would help a lot, it's just so empty. One good part of the game, is the map itself, it's a cool setting and I find it fine to explore, but there is nothing going on, and the fights are over in seconds, so the exploration completely loses its luster early on. There is just nothing to engage you and make you interested.

I think the developers wanted the vampires to be scary and hard, so you walk around with some tension, but that's not exactly the case at all.

Everything about this screams that some sort of reboot happened mid-development and that they had to rush content into the game. Pretty all the missions feel like something they pushed into the game in a week. There is no thought behind it.

GAF. I present to you Damage control that is so convoluted, it needs to be encapsulated for posterity...

"Redfall doesn't even vaguely approach the quality bar expected of Arkane, and indeed, Xbox itself. However, I have been told by multiple sources that Xbox was entirely hands-off with the project, and that the game doesn't fall under Xbox Game Studios' director Matt Booty's responsibilities — because rightly or wrongly, right now, Arkane is not an Xbox Game Studio by internal definition." - Jez

Can you imagine PlayStation claiming that they don't really own insom?

tenor.gif
If that's the actual excuse they're going with I'd say it's time they put their money where their mouth is and fired literally all of Bethesda upper management.

GAF. I present to you Damage control that is so convoluted, it needs to be encapsulated for posterity...

"Redfall doesn't even vaguely approach the quality bar expected of Arkane, and indeed, Xbox itself. However, I have been told by multiple sources that Xbox was entirely hands-off with the project, and that the game doesn't fall under Xbox Game Studios' director Matt Booty's responsibilities — because rightly or wrongly, right now, Arkane is not an Xbox Game Studio by internal definition." - Jez

PlDRm4S.gif

Dick Jones

Gold Member

tenor.gif
Bungie would be treated similar if the statements hold up.

Krathoon

Gold Member
This is not new for Microsoft. They are notorious for having crappy PC software. Sometimes I want to delete Visual Studio.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

I think that's what we knew, that Bethesda operate with autonomy and are treated differently to The Coalition, for example, who are directly managed by Xbox. That was my understanding of it.

Nydius

That is some Olympic tier mental gymnastics.
Holy shit.
Someone get Jez a gold medal.
Well, in this case, gold plated. With the plating flaking off.

Microsoft owned them. Microsoft shitcanned the PS5 version (for which PS5 owners thank them, I imagine). Microsoft used it as a sizzle reel reveal in 2021. They could have, at any time, gotten involved to see what the state of the project was and tell Arkane Austin that they needed to get their shit together. Being hands off has been a major issue with Microsoft's gaming division for years now and this is a prime example. They didn't want to interfere with Arkane's existing management? So why the fuck bother spending the money to buy them when the game would have been put on the platform with the same level of non-involvement anyway?

It all circles back to my previous post that this acquisition has been a massive waste of money.
All of the games they've gotten from it would have been on Xbox regardless of whether they spent $7.5b or not.

Sometimes I want to delete Visual Studio.
Only "sometimes"? :pie_wfwt:

Last edited:
I feel like increasing the number of enemies would help a lot, it's just so empty. One good part of the game, is the map itself, it's a cool setting and I find it fine to explore, but there is nothing going on, and the fights are over in seconds, so the exploration completely loses its luster early on. There is just nothing to engage you and make you interested.

I think the developers wanted the vampires to be scary and hard, so you walk around with some tension, but that's not exactly the case at all.

Everything about this screams that some sort of reboot happened mid-development and that they had to rush content into the game. Pretty all the missions feel like something they pushed into the game in a week. There is no thought behind it.

Ouch. That was my problem with Halo Infinite (though Infinite probably not on the level of this). To hear how the world itself is actually cool is really sad. This lack of design is the opposite of what Arkane is known for being so good at. What a damn shame. This could've been a banger for Xbox if they didn't fuck up so badly.

Thief1987

tenor.gif
They surely gladly take praise for Psychonauts and Deathloop waving that worthless "publisher of the year" award. But this turd? No, we don't know it.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think that's what we knew, that Bethesda operate with autonomy and are treated differently to The Coalition, for example, who are directly managed by Xbox. That was my understanding of it.
If thats the case...that means MS bought them to stop Sony from getting timed exclusives and to get Bethesda to make Xbox exclusives....because it almost sounds like the same deal Sony has with Bungie....but Sony said Bungie will remain multi platform....

:pie_thinking:

That is some Olympic tier mental gymnastics.
Holy shit.
Someone get Jez a gold medal.
Well, in this case, gold plated. With the plating flaking off.

Microsoft owned them. Microsoft shitcanned the PS5 version (for which PS5 owners thank them, I imagine). Microsoft used it as a sizzle reel reveal in 2021. They could have, at any time, gotten involved to see what the state of the project was and tell Arkane Austin that they needed to get their shit together. Being hands off has been a major issue with Microsoft's gaming division for years now and this is a prime example. They didn't want to interfere with Arkane's existing management? So why the fuck bother spending the money to buy them when the game would have been put on the platform with the same level of non-involvement anyway?

It all circles back to my previous post that this acquisition has been a massive waste of money.
All of the games they've gotten from it would have been on Xbox regardless of whether they spent $7.5b or not.

Only "sometimes"? :pie_wfwt:
Exactly.

Pelta88

Bungie would be treated similar if the statements hold up.

The statement does not hold up. Phil is on record since Redfall was announced talking about his vision and treatment of the studio. The PR receipts are out there way before we get to Bethesda being purchased.

Nope.

They're on record for saying Phil cancelled the PS5 version of redfall. Which means XB which own the studio is able to cut 50% of their profit... But not responsible for basic quality control?

Kids make better excuses when caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
Still the game is not as horrible as Ultima 9 or Decent into Undermountain.

It is like the framework is there. They just need to fix it up.
AI has to be the main thing. But if this is as far as they got with years of development, I don't see how they suddenly have some epiphany and fix it. I mean what the fuck did they talk about in meeting the past few years? The jank isn't something you have to go looking for here. It's in your face for half of the play time and 100% of the combat time.

Krathoon

Gold Member
AI has to be the main thing. But if this is as far as they got with years of development, I don't see how they suddenly have some epiphany and fix it. I mean what the fuck did they talk about in meeting the past few years? The jank isn't something you have to go looking for here. It's in your face for half of the play time and 100% of the combat time.
Yeah. I wonder what the heck was going on. Maybe working from home and covid is to blame. I wonder if they outsourced like crazy on it.

ebevan91

Redfall turning out completely shit makes me want to play through Dishonored again (again).

I started new playthroughs of Prey and Dishonored 2 in preparation for this game. Now I have no interest in even buying it anymore so I just uninstalled the other 2 games.

gothmog

Gold Member

tenor.gif
Who decided that a first party Xbox game was hands off? Whoever that is should be fired. This isn't that difficult and the concept that this is nobody's fault is a major part of the management issues at Xbox.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Nope.

They're on record for saying Phil cancelled the PS5 version of redfall. Which means XB which own the studio is able to cut 50% of their profit... But not responsible for basic quality control?

Kids make better excuses when caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

I don't think you're arguing in good faith. I'm not saying that Bethesda could go make exclusives for Nintendo or Sony or... ....Evercade if they wanted to. Or decide to quit the video game industry and become The Bethesda Carpentry Co. That's obviously not what I meant. What we're talking about is that they set targets, schedules, decide on which titles to make (WITH THE CAVEAT THAT THEY ARE FOR THE PARENT COMPANY'S PLATFORMS) without the need for Xbox Game Studios to sign off on everything.

ebevan91

Man.....this game could have been really good. So much shit wrong, but underneath all of Cyberpunk-ish fuckups is a solid game.

Edit:
ChorizoPicozo ChorizoPicozo have you played the game

At least with Cyberpunk the PC version was fairy decent. I didn't have many problems at all with it. They just made the mistake of trying to also develop it for Xbox One and PS4.

Topher

Gold Member
At least with Cyberpunk the PC version was fairy decent. I didn't have many problems at all with it. They just made the mistake of trying to also develop it for Xbox One and PS4.

Yeah, PC version didn't have the last gen console issues, but I do see a lot of similarities with Redfall and Cyberpunk 2077 problems that were experienced across the board.

Yeah, won't be touching this game.
To me this has the hallmarks of originally being designed as an GAAS game, what with its team focus, always online requirements and its not so subtle fortnite graphical imitation.
Once the future of GAAS games was showing a big slowdown, they added a half baked campaign into it. Changing to the Unreal Engine from Void, when their void games looked way better, showed that there was a reason other than looks.

Arkaine strayed from their formula and fucked it up.
Shit happens.
Next.

ZoukGalaxy

Making the reverend lesbian and draw all the patattoos took a long time.

Krathoon

Gold Member
The whole thing with the vampires high jacking tv broadcasts was neat. I did not get deep in the game, but there was some kind a psychic thing going on with the vampires.

Krathoon

Gold Member
I don't quite get why the AI is crappy. Doesn't Unreal Engine come with AI routines? That is something that is kind of boiler plate now.

Tsaki

Goes to show the absolute lack of balls these outlets have.

This game makes Forspoken look like a masterpiece. How they are within 2 points of each other is dog shit.

USE THE FULL SCALE. I want to see RED. Not yellow.

I want to see 20s and 30s, not 60's.

Forspoken was a 6/10.

Redfall is a 2 or 3/10 at BEST.

Why do they have the same MC score? Are you scared to score below 6/10?

5/10 is a PASS. 6/10 means its Better than a pass. Its almost decent.

Where is this industries balls? Standards?

Call them the fuck out. Drop some 2 and 3/10's and really let these publishers and developers know that trash like this isn't acceptable. Not even for Gamepass filler.

The game is literally unfinished. It should be nothing higher than a 3. 30% on MC. Full out RED.

6/10. Give me a break.
Yeah it's bullshit. I have no love for Forspoken but to put those games so close to each other is insulting to the general audience.

The latest exclusive sony released was a dlc for horizon which digital foundry called a visual masterclass. The upcoming latest ninty exclusive is just waiting to be handed that 95 meta. Then we have this cursed game. I cant..

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
OpenCritic needs to take a closer look at themselves if they're allowing shills for this garbage to get reviews like that. There's no reason this game is reviewing above 50%.

The SkillUp review was savage, and when looking for some more gameplay I found this guy's:

This is abysmal.

Forspoken is a much better realized game, with better production values, and gameplay.
The Order 1886 is a much better realized game, with much better production values, and gameplay.

RedFall is straight up laughable for a AAA $70 immersive sim open world game. If RedFall is hanging around in the low 60's then Forspoken and Order 1886 are 80+ by comparison.

Top Bottom