• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Foxy Fox 39 said:
The problem with Bungie is that they need to give people an incentive to play, not a deterrent to quit. (and they don't have jump in gametypes where people can join mid match, so that creates the problem of people leaving but not joining therefore empty space is made)

Give people a completed match bonus that actually is worth something. For every match you complete in MM you get like a 1500 cR bonus or something along the rewards line.

MW2 was really good at dangling the carrot in front of people.
This might help a bit, but I don't think a cR bonus would do the trick for everyone. There are probably a large number of people playing the game that don't give a shit about armor unlocks or rank, and thus couldn't care less about credits. You mention MW2, but this isn't like COD games where you have to complete games and rank up to get the weapons you want — ultimately, rank doesn't matter. And those people who feel this way (the more casual players, and probably not anyone in this thread) would just continue to quit.

All you have to do is watch the list of players when a specific gametype is voted upon, and you'll start seeing people quit. BTB is particularly divisive because of the varying gametypes in the playlist — if a few people want to play Slayer, but 1-Flag wins the vote, you know what's probably gonna happen.

It all goes back to the Halo games not really letting people play exactly what they want to play at that moment... I know it creates variety and encourages players to learn other gametypes, but a lot of people just don't want to do this. I never quit, but I would ultimately prefer it if, when I wanted to play Stockpile, I could go and play Stockpile, and not just hope it pops up as a voting option. I'm pretty sure most people feel the same.

vatstep said:
This might help a bit, but I don't think a cR bonus would do the trick for everyone. There are probably a large number of people playing the game that don't give a shit about armor unlocks or rank, and thus couldn't care less about credits. You mention MW2, but this isn't like COD games where you have to complete games and rank up to get the weapons you want — ultimately, rank doesn't matter. And those people who feel this way (the more casual players, and probably not anyone in this thread) would just continue to quit.

All you have to do is watch the list of players when a specific gametype is voted upon, and you'll start seeing people quit. BTB is particularly divisive because of the varying gametypes in the playlist — if a few people want to play Slayer, but 1-Flag wins the vote, you know what's probably gonna happen.

It all goes back to the Halo games not really letting people play exactly what they want to play at that moment... I know it creates variety and encourages players to learn other gametypes, but a lot of people just don't want to do this. I never quit, but I would ultimately prefer it if, when I wanted to play Stockpile, I could go and play Stockpile, and not just hope it pops up as a voting option. I'm pretty sure most people feel the same.

True, and it seems to be a combination of problems. Specific playlists, incentives to finish a game and joining a game already in progress. If they had those three in place I think the quitting that plagues Halo would be less problematic.

wwm0nkey said:
Hey guys Seraphs are pilotable!

Guess the whole space battle MP that got cut was originally Human vs Covenant.

Wow, how do you do that? Looks like a blast.

It made me so sad when I heard that they had cut space MP. I know they never announced it, but after seeing space in e3 it really seemed like a great route. It seems the basics are there, I would really pay a lot for a Space MP expansion DLC. Just like one or two maps, its own playlist, and like 2 or so gametypes. It looks like all they would need to do would be make a map that supported the vehicles, the code seems to be there in full force.

Please Bungie? It would be such a missed opportunity not to. Whether Starwars Battlefront inspired, or just pure space vehicle combat, it would be really nice, and refreshing.

I wonder, was the Seraph the vehicle "powered by a thunderstorm"? I always thought it was the Revenant, but maybe it was in reference to this.

MrBig

Demoncarnotaur said:
Wow, how do you do that? Looks like a blast.

It made me so sad when I heard that they had cut space MP. I know they never announced it, but after seeing space in e3 it really seemed like a great route. It seems the basics are there, I would really pay a lot for a Space MP expansion DLC. Just like one or two maps, its own playlist, and like 2 or so gametypes. It looks like all they would need to do would be make a map that supported the vehicles, the code seems to be there in full force.

Please Bungie? It would be such a missed opportunity not to. Whether Starwars Battlefront inspired, or just pure space vehicle combat, it would be really nice, and refreshing.
It's a gamesave you can download from a modding site.

Thagomizer said:
This is an awful idea. Every objective game would turn into "betray the flag carrier"
Then that person should get booted from the match and a Cr penalty for being a dirty teamkiller. I wouldn't mind a slight Cr penalty per betrayal either.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Had one hell of a game last night. Elite Slayer Had two guys on my team spend the first 2-3 minutes just jumping off the side of the map suiciding, and then quitting. So down 2 players and down in score me and the other guy kept on trucking.

Ended up winning the 2v4 match 49-43. Saved a clip of it because I felt so badass after that. Not bungie pro so I haven't rendered it yet though.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Default.aspx?player=Zerokku

Hey You

Alienshogun said:
It's a shame there isn't a "social" playlist where it's just a "fun" hopper and people can join in progress or quit whenever, quitters are really ruining this game for me.

Here's hoping the next iteration of Halo, whatever we get, has better thought out multiplayer in terms of drop in drop out.
We need some sort of Custom Game Search/MM thing. Just select which Game Type you want to jump into, and it will try to put you into any open game thats playing the gametype.

It would be a pretty cool addition when Bungie's done and moved on.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
m0ngo said:
Why can't we just have a play list for each game type?
I like it better where you can vote and continually switch up gametypes/maps within the same circumstances of players (4v4, 8v8, 2v2v2v2v2v2).

vatstep said:
Yeah and I don't know what the solution is. I like the flexibility playlists give Bungie and how easy it is (or appears to be) for them to change things up. But on the other hand the playlist system does force people into playing game types they don't want to play.

It's a tough call, but I think they're heading in the right direction (making SWAT and Infection their own playlists, for example). I think it's safe to say that the more control people have over what modes they play, the less people will quit out.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Raide said:
It splits the player base too thin and some gametypes end up with 3 people playing it...like Team Snipers. :lol

I never understood this, if the mode isn't popular, then why keep it?

I'm one of those people who think CTF/territories/Death match should have their own playlist.

There is no reason to subject those who don't want to play oddball, or other objective games, to them, if the mode isn't popular, that's for a reason.

Raide

Alienshogun said:
I never understood this, if the mode isn't popular, then why keep it?

I'm one of those people who think CTF/territories/Death match should have their own playlist.

There is no reason to subject those who don't want to play oddball, or other objective games, to them, if the mode isn't popular, that's for a reason.

Thats why they tend to keep certain modes lumped together. I like Bungie and the Community coming up with new gametypes but they do not always replace Slayer, which is the standard game for just about everyone.

If nobody plays it, then Bungie will either move it to another playlist that suits the gametype, or remove it all together.

xxjuicesxx said:
Wheres this piece of data from? Team Snipers has always been pretty popular...

Mainly people here moaning about Snipers or SWAT. :lol

GhaleonEB

Letters said:
I grabbed a warthog, gave the Sgt Major dude an FRG, he hopped on and then we got this badass looking soldier that was walking around without a helmet to jump on the turret and we destroyed the covenant in that area.

The final run up to the button that activates the AA guns was a bitch though since I was on foot and had to do that section a bunch of times because I kept getting oneshot killed by the FRG chieftain in the last room.
My troubles on Exodus were really three parts.

The first was a series of very bad checkpoints. In general, the checkpoint system in Reach has been pretty good to me, but I've definitely had more terrible or skipped ones than the last couple outings. Not frequent, but they really jump out when they happen. The example I mentioned before was the worst: the Chieftain toward the end of the jetpacking sequence, where he's overlooking the area from a balcony, a pack of Grunts below. Took me forever to kill him - it's Legendary, it should - and no checkpoint. Then I clear out the area after that of Grunts and Jackals. No checkpoint. Then the long surrounding balcony of a few Brutes. No checkpoint. Then I engage the huge Brute pack down in the center of the building, and die, and am back facing the Chieftain. It's a YMMV situation, but when it happens, it 's really frustrating.

Wrath Rant

The Wraith AI in Reach lets them know where you are, exactly, and shell that location even though you are 1) not in their line of sight and 2) have never been in their line of sight.

This was one of my 20 deaths to the Wraiths on the last section of Exodus, approaching the area where you are arming the AA guns. At that point I didn't even know there was a Wraith over the hill.

The Wraith's perspective on the shot:

reach_6890364_Full.jpg

And the hill it fired over:

reach_6890307_Full.jpg

They have the ability to track your exact location from anywhere in this area. Later (around 15 Wraith deaths in) I find a partly used Spartan Laser. Huzzah! I take the long way around the back of the area, out of line of sight, to ambush it with a long shot. This was the result:

reach_6890359_Full.jpg

The Wraith had been pivoting slowly on its axis, tracking my exact location. The second I stepped out for the shot, it fired and tagged me.

So I took the VERY long way around next time.

reach_6890371_Full.jpg

reach_6890375_Full.jpg

The blue poof on the bridge is the shot it took; it knew where I was, naturally.

This is the kind of enemy AI that other games do; it's not what Halo has done and I'm disappointed to see something so cheap in the game. It's a poor way to balance Legendary.

As for why I wasn't using the Warthog: my friendly AI had been, shall we say, less than helpful to that point. Plus, I don't really like using the Warthog when I don't have to. Having the option of doing an encounter on foot is one of the great things about Halo's design, usually. And by the time I realized what was up with the Wraith AI, the 'Hog was toast and I'd hit a checkpoint.

Finally, thing #3, most of the level, my Marines were acting like this. It didn't capture the feeling of storming the enemy entrenchments with a pack of soldiers when they were all disconnected from the action.

[/end rant]

There are big sections of the campaign on Legendary I'll be playing again solo, but Nightfall and Exodus will prevent me from doing a solo run through the entire game again. This last mission was a miserable experience. And again, on Heroic, I think it's an excellent mission.

Ramirez

It's sad to me how popular all of the spin off gametypes are compared to the real Halo stuff, it's like people don't want to play actual core Halo at all, they want to play garbage like Swat, Snipers, Grifball, Rocket Race, & Infection. I would almost guarantee that if each of those gametypes had a playlist dedicated to it, they would be more popular than everything aside from Slayer, and some of them might even beat or match slayer. :(

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Fancy a sneak peak at the next FUD article?

watside.jpg

My next article is a look at the Datapads and is the first in a series that covers Reach's secondary narrative.

I'm looking for proofreaders with a good eye to spot any potential factual, spelling or grammatical errors. If English and spelling are important to you, I'd like to borrow your time!

I appreciate any and all help offered so if you have some time to spare today I'd like to know. =)

If interested, send me a PM and I'll back to you.

MrBig

Ramirez said:
It's sad to me how popular all of the spin off gametypes are compared to the real Halo stuff, it's like people don't want to play actual core Halo at all, they want to play garbage like Swat, Snipers, Grifball, Rocket Race, & Infection. I would almost guarantee that if each of those gametypes had a playlist dedicated to it, they would be more popular than everything aside from Slayer, and some of them might even beat or match slayer. :(
Because certain modern shooters have taken over a lot of peoples mind, so they expect killing someone to be easy. Gametypes like that allow people who aren't good at Halo's gameplay to just rack up ranks and kills as quickly as they like.

wwm0nkey

Hey You said:
We need some sort of Custom Game Search/MM thing. Just select which Game Type you want to jump into, and it will try to put you into any open game thats playing the gametype.

It would be a pretty cool addition when Bungie's done and moved on.
They removed it in Halo 3 because it didnt make the cut, I wonder why they didnt put it in reach.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Devin Olsen said:
A couple clips from the customs last night...

Gunner Escape
:lol

I remember that, I was like: "WTF, Why is our guy driving the enemy around!?" (I had assumed that this may have been happening for a while.) Then I see him drive off into the water, so I assumed you were dead.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Raide said:
Thats why they tend to keep certain modes lumped together. I like Bungie and the Community coming up with new gametypes but they do not always replace Slayer, which is the standard game for just about everyone.

If nobody plays it, then Bungie will either move it to another playlist that suits the gametype, or remove it all together.

l

I don't think you are quite understanding me. You seem to be disagreeing with me, while restating what I said.

If it isn't a popular mode, then it should be removed, people shouldn't be forced to play it.

Lumping less popular modes into popular gametypes is idiotic IMO. If people weren't forced to play gametypes they don't want to play I'm betting quitting would occur less.

Some people want to JUST play CTF, some people JUST want to play SWAT, some people JUST want to play what they want to play. The play list should reflect that. Lumping a bunch of crap into one play list doesn't do anyone favors.

If 30 people like race, then maybe that mode should be removed, not lumped into a playlist in which people are looking for slayer.

Deware80

Banned
Alienshogun said:
I don't think you are quite understanding me. You seem to be disagreeing with me, while restating what I said.

If it isn't a popular mode, then it should be removed, people shouldn't be forced to play it.

Lumping less popular modes into popular gametypes is idiotic IMO. If people weren't forced to play gametypes they don't want to play I'm betting quitting would occur less.

Some people want to JUST play CTF, some people JUST want to play SWAT, some people JUST want to play what they want to play. The play list should reflect that. Lumping a bunch of crap into one play list doesn't do anyone favors.

If 30 people like race, then maybe that mode should be removed, not lumped into a playlist in which people are looking for slayer.

I agree to a certain extent. I don't know how many times I have to put up with sniperfight instead of regular firefight.

Raide said:
Mainly people here moaning about Snipers or SWAT. :lol

That was just people not wanting to be forced to play it. The fact that it was getting the majority vote means more people wanted to play it than didn't. Plus a lot of players on GAF can't aim Snipers or DMR's that well so they prefer AR and vehicle playlists.

I think SWAT and Snipers is just as much Halo as Slayer is Ramirez its been there in MM since I started. Now if Infection or Rocket Race had higher numbers then I would be worried.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Deware80 said:
I agree to a certain extent. I don't know how many times I have to put up with sniperfight instead of regular firefight.
I felt this way at first until I realized that you can just pick up any weapon and it'll have unlimited ammo — fuel rod gun madness! Looks like they're rectifying this in Sniper Attack (in Score Attack) with this week's playlist update, but not Sniperfight, so if people want to keep voting for it, I don't really mind.

Ramirez

xxjuicesxx said:
That was just people not wanting to be forced to play it. The fact that it was getting the majority vote means more people wanted to play it than didn't. Plus a lot of players on GAF can't aim Snipers or DMR's that well so they prefer AR and vehicle playlists.

I think SWAT and Snipers is just as much Halo as Slayer is Ramirez its been there in MM since I started. Now if Infection or Rocket Race had higher numbers then I would be worried.

Infection is getting its on playlist, you couldn't even get a FFA slayer match in RP because everyone always chose Infection. :lol

Swat is a poor mans CoD, and Snipers is hide enough of your body so that only the tip of your head is visible, but you can still shoot your gun (still can't believe that after 4 games this is still a problem). They're polar opposites of a real Halo match.

Sai-kun

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
My troubles on Exodus were really three parts.

The first was a series of very bad checkpoints. In general, the checkpoint system in Reach has been pretty good to me, but I've definitely had more terrible or skipped ones than the last couple outings. Not frequent, but they really jump out when they happen. The example I mentioned before was the worst: the Chieftain toward the end of the jetpacking sequence, where he's overlooking the area from a balcony, a pack of Grunts below. Took me forever to kill him - it's Legendary, it should - and no checkpoint. Then I clear out the area after that of Grunts and Jackals. No checkpoint. Then the long surrounding balcony of a few Brutes. No checkpoint. Then I engage the huge Brute pack down in the center of the building, and die, and am back facing the Chieftain. It's a YMMV situation, but when it happens, it 's really frustrating.

Wrath Rant

The Wraith AI in Reach lets them know where you are, exactly, and shell that location even though you are 1) not in their line of sight and 2) have never been in their line of sight.

This was one of my 20 deaths to the Wraiths on the last section of Exodus, approaching the area where you are arming the AA guns. At that point I didn't even know there was a Wraith over the hill.

The blue poof on the bridge is the shot it took; it knew where I was, naturally.

This is the kind of enemy AI that other games do; it's not what Halo has done and I'm disappointed to see something so cheap in the game. It's a poor way to balance Legendary.

As for why I wasn't using the Warthog: my friendly AI had been, shall we say, less than helpful to that point. Plus, I don't really like using the Warthog when I don't have to. Having the option of doing an encounter on foot is one of the great things about Halo's design, usually. And by the time I realized what was up with the Wraith AI, the 'Hog was toast and I'd hit a checkpoint.

Finally, thing #3, most of the level, my Marines were acting like this. It didn't capture the feeling of storming the enemy entrenchments with a pack of soldiers when they were all disconnected from the action.

[/end rant]

There are big sections of the campaign on Legendary I'll be playing again solo, but Nightfall and Exodus will prevent me from doing a solo run through the entire game again. This last mission was a miserable experience. And again, on Heroic, I think it's an excellent mission.

I cheesed the FUCK outta this part. Jetpack? Check :lol Mongoose for fast travel? Check. 'goose it over to the first AA thing, jetpack up, activate, jetpack down, goose it over to the second, jetpack up, activate, jetpack down, then goose it over back to where you started and then to the big red button, jetpack into the room, bam. I tried what you did for a long time and eventually I was like "screw it"

Raide said:
It splits the player base too thin and some gametypes end up with 3 people playing it...like Team Snipers. :lol

3 people play Snipers? Are you sure, because im pretty sure everyone I know is more than 3 people. :lol

As far as I know Snipers is one of the more popular playlists, and I cant wait for the 19th for it.

Gui_PT

I just got the assist challenge in the luckiest way possible.

While playing Invasion, everyone on the other team but one guy quit. Everyone spawn camped. I just used the plasma pistol as soon as he spawned :lol

tkfhU.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gui_PT said:

While playing Invasion, everyone on the other team but one guy quit. Everyone spawn camped. I just used the plasma pistol as soon as he spawned :lol

tkfhU.jpg

Good to see the rampant quitting is good for something.

feel

Ghal, you had to kill the pair of jackals with the designators on top of the hills, they are telling the wraith where to shoot!! (not really, that kind of cheap AI does suck, but you should leave the on-foot heroics for, well, Heroic :p)

There's a rocket launcher somewhere in that FRG chieftain area you mention (no idea where, maybe some odst was carrying it and died), I just flew straight up with the jetpack and sent two the chieftain's way, easy kill, then came back down and played the rest of that climb normally on foot so that some friendly NPCs could survive. Hopefully you'll give this level another try in the future and get better luck with the checkpoints and random weapon pickups.

Unrelated:

Holy shit at the orgasmic visual feast that is an invincible/infinite-rockets Firefight Bonus Round against all Elites, in the middle of Corvette... my eyes were about to start bleeding. So good.

Raide

Alienshogun said:

Ahh, sorry, I miss-understood you. I see what you're saying now.

Alucrid

Banned
Gui_PT said:

http://imgur.com/tkfhU.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Whata champ.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Raide said:
Ahh, sorry, I miss-understood you. I see what you're saying now.

It's all good, I'm sure everyone is tired of my bitching about Halo of late anyway. Just thought it would be better to articulate part of what I think is the problem.

Sai-kun said:
I cheesed the FUCK outta this part. Jetpack? Check :lol Mongoose for fast travel? Check. 'goose it over to the first AA thing, jetpack up, activate, jetpack down, goose it over to the second, jetpack up, activate, jetpack down, then goose it over back to where you started and then to the big red button, jetpack into the room, bam. I tried what you did for a long time and eventually I was like "screw it"
Great minds think alike. As if we want to torture ourselves with an AI wraith without using the jet-pack. :lol

Mr. Sam

GhaleonEB said:

I played Exodus just now and I was pulling my hair out too. If I remember correctly, there were actually two wraiths. I may have just been seeing double from how hard the first one was kicking my ass. Though, as Sai-kun points out, there is a much easier method to complete it - one I only realised when the FRG/Hammer brute couple had made me its bitch about four times in a row.

Somnid

I think the credit system should award you with extra points for finishing a match short handed. I'm sure some people would try to abuse it but it should be pretty easy to catch and ban them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom