• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
X26 said:
I like how you take a post about reach not looking "epic" (which it turns out it wasn't compared to halo 3) months ago and somehow attribute it to hating bungie or whatever. You're one of the few here that go rabid about anything negative said about halo that give the entire fanbase the rep of being oversensitve fanboys.

I think just about everyone whos a regular HaloGaffer has had bad things to say about Halo at one point or another, including Dax. Bungie.net is full of the rabid fanboys, not this place.

Reach has its problems, but your post was so useless its laughable, you basically just wrote "cant wait for Black Ops, Reach sucks". And now your saying Dax is the person making stupid comments? :lol

bobs99 ... said:
Im shocked at Bungies decision to make it so that you HAVE to play matchmaking co op to earn Gold or Onyx commendations in Campaign. This thread on HBO is why:

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1024641

So if I ever want to play Solo Campaign ever again, ill be burning out Commendations without earning anything for them?

Campaign solo is how I enjoy it most, playing with others ruins the immersion. Playing with randoms is just frustrating.
That sucks. My I-Net connections isnt great for Coop action. So every MM-coop game is laggy than hell for me. That means for me: I never have the chance to get 100% commendations :(

Somnid

bobs99 ... said:
Im glad your tag says "Ignore everything I say". :lol

Ive been playing a lot of Firefight with friends today, simply because I know I keep getting called away from the Xbox. If I was playing with friends and had to go AFK im not hurting anyone (that isnt already cool with it), so the system shouldnt auto boot me.

Its tough, but to be fair I think everyones missing the point a bit, if your really struggling with quitters, play with people you know. Sure its not always easy to get people on, but add some Gaffers, playing with randoms sucks.

Actually that's the point. If you stay then it queues up the next match automatically, I don't want it to do that if I have to step away. An inactivity wouldn't penalize because your effective penalty would be lowering your K/D ratio, not being able to rejoin matchmaking etc. If you can't/don't play the game there's nothing Bungie can do to stop you and for reasons mentioned they shouldn't. But quitting less than a minute because you don't like it is definitely something that can be mitigated.

Numpt3

Neuromancer said:
Revenge is a dish best served cold. Go to his gamer card in your recently played friends list and report him for a code of conduct violation (inappropriate gamertag). He'll have to change his tag and if you're really lucky, he could get a 24 hour Xbox Live suspension.
That's exactly what I did. :D

X26

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
I think just about everyone whos a regular HaloGaffer has had bad things to say about Halo at one point or another, including Dax. Bungie.net is full of the rabid fanboys, not this place.

Reach has its problems, but your post was so useless its laughable, you basically just wrote "cant wait for Black Ops, Reach sucks". And now your saying Dax is the person making stupid comments? :lol

Useless post? People were talking about quitting, I said why I felt the lack of a real penalty is good. Yes real useless, that or you're ust a bit mad due to the negativity, I wonder (not really) which.

MrBig

I'm not saying that the guy they got to do all the forge world modeling is bad, I've seen his portfolio, but they really should have checked his work. There are quite a few objects with flipped faces, messed up chamfers, and terrible uv's.

Somnid said:
Actually that's the point. If you stay then it queues up the next match automatically, I don't want it to do that if I have to step away. An inactivity wouldn't penalize because your effective penalty would be lowering your K/D ratio, not being able to rejoin matchmaking etc. If you can't/don't play the game there's nothing Bungie can do to stop you and for reasons mentioned they shouldn't. But quitting less than a minute because you don't like it is definitely something that can be mitigated.

I agree, the amount of games ive been AFK at the start of because of auto matchmaking is annoying.

X26 said:
Useless post? People were talking about quitting, I said why I felt the lack of a real penalty is good. Yes real useless, that or you're ust a bit mad due to the negativity, I wonder (not really) which.

Dude, you mentioned drop in drop out matchmaking which I HATE, and 'rewards' which would suck in a game like Halo.

I hate drop out drop in, because it messes with the whole feel of playing against a team, if I had more time I would try and explain this more, but Halo feels more like a competative game, if your gonna trash talk me at the start of a match your gonna be there at the end after I kick your ass type thing. :D Getting rewarded guns and stuff as you rank up is silly.

Dont get me wrong, these things work in CoD and im looking forward to Black Ops, but those things would be bad in Halo.

Ramirez

X26 said:

You've figured them all out, well done.

Sai-kun

Banned
X26 said:
I'm glad the quitting penalty is so minimal given how much of the game consists of being forced into gametypes you hate and getting griefed

Even with a bigger penalty it wouldn't change much, the game is just a stopgap until black ops for a lot of people anyways (you know, that game with drop in/drop out, the ability to play whatever gametype you want, and meaningful rewards?)

meaningful rewards like a pot leaf next to your gamertag, and the title of high command? Yeah. Real meaningful :lol

NZNova

Finally got back into my legendary playthrough. The end of Nightfall... elites, elites everywhere... there's only so much you can do with active camo and assassination :lol

X26

Banned
Ramirez said:
You've figured them all out, well done.

looks like ultra-cliquey and defensive HaloGAF in full force this afternoon, time to leave the thread (which seems to operate on a bizarre hierarchy anyways)

NZNova said:
Finally got back into my legendary playthrough. The end of Nightfall... elites, elites everywhere... there's only so much you can do with active camo and assassination :lol
What worked for me (eventually) was just avoiding the main buildings and hiding outside, closer to the bridge. Those spec op elites tend to keep to the structures.

And yeah, your active camo won't save you from them. They can see right through it if they're close enough. :(

theultimo

NullPointer said:
What worked for me (eventually) was just avoiding the main buildings and hiding out closer to the bridge. Those spec op elites tend to keep to those areas.

And yeah, your active camo won't save you from them. They can see right through it if they're close enough. :(
Yup, I played it safe and kept reloading my sniper rifle on the drops and made it through slowly.

Kuroyume

Banned
I think the penalty should be worse. The quitting in the game feels worse than what happened in Halo 3. It's probably the same but it does feel worse... The game is only a month old and quitting is so rampant. I expected that 3 months into not 1. That said, I agree that there's nothing worse than being forced to play something you don't want but that's 99% of console gaming now so... Yeah, thanks matchmaking. It's not going to change at least not with Halo...

X26 said:
I like how you take a post about reach not looking "epic" (which it turns out it wasn't compared to halo 3) months ago and somehow attribute it to hating bungie or whatever. You're one of the few here that go rabid about anything negative said about halo that give the entire fanbase the rep of being oversensitve fanboys.
Ha. I've lobbied numerous complaints of the game in this OT and the last one, whether it be playlists, the campaign, some design decisions (*cough* pro-pipe *cough*), Firefight, and Forge.

As for how epic Reach is compared to Halo 3, Reach beats Halo 3 in terms of epicness. There are a lot more moments in Reach that help demonstrate planet-wide invasion, along with open battlefields and huge environments, than Halo 3.

szaromir said:
Does anyone know when is the next Halo novel coming out? This year?
The Greg Bear novel is coming out in January. The updated versions of The Flood and First Strike are still coming out later this year. Not sure where the updated Evolutions novel will fall.

feel

vp91yx.jpg

Dax01 said:
As for how epic Reach is compared to Halo 3, Reach beats Halo 3 in terms of epicness. There are a lot more moments in Reach that help demonstrate planet-wide invasion, along with open battlefields and huge environments, than Halo 3.
I have to disagree. There is nothing in Reach that comes close to "The Covenant" in Halo 3. Still my favorite FPS level ever.

lol letters
NullPointer said:
I have to disagree. There is nothing in Reach that comes close to "The Covenant" in Halo 3. Still my favorite FPS level ever.
The quality of the levels in Reach never approach the highs of Halo 1 or Halo 3, but if we're defining epic in terms of "how much shit is going on around the player at once and how big the shit is," then I think Reach takes the cake.

NZNova

theultimo said:
Yup, I played it safe and kept reloading my sniper rifle on the drops and made it through slowly.

I burned through all of my sniper rifle ammo clearing the area out before the drops started. (isn't it funny how on legendary you come to learn exactly how much ammo you have and where every drop on the map is, simply as a survival mechanism). I think I might hoof it back to the start of the level and pick up some of those covenant sniper rifles that I left back there, because I only have 11 DMR rounds and the assault rifle left.

Actually, maybe I can wreak some havoc with the rocket launcher before I trek all the way back for those sniper rifles... and I'm sure there's a few plasma grenades I can use with stealth for some easy kills.

This game is so much fun :D

szaromir

Banned
Dax01 said:
The Greg Bear novel is coming out in January. The updated versions of The Flood and First Strike are still coming out later this year. Not sure where the updated Evolutions novel will fall.
Evolutions needs updating? OK, I'll wait with my purchases until all the updates are done. Greg Bear and Karen Traviss are the only announced authors for Halo at this point? I think they're both going to write trilogies, could be interesting (I expect Traviss' novels to bridge all the events so far and Halo 4... Can't wait).

szaromir said:
Does anyone know when is the next Halo novel coming out? This year?
The Reissue of "The Flood" was released last week. The next one will be the Reissue of "First Strike" and "Evolutions"(Spliited in 2 parts). If you are looking for a completly new one that will be the first book of the Forenrunner trilogy "Cryptum" and it is coming out January 2011.

Edit.: Beaten.

Kuroyume said:
I think the penalty should be worse. The quitting in the game feels worse than what happened in Halo 3. It's probably the same but it does feel worse... The game is only a month old and quitting is so rampant. I expected that 3 months into not 1. That said, I agree that there's nothing worse than being forced to play something you don't want but that's 99% of console gaming now so... Yeah, thanks matchmaking. It's not going to change at least not with Halo...

I've been in games in which my random team mates must have voted for a gametype and still quit. Honestly matchmaking isn't worth it unless one has pals with them, and not because randoms are shit, but because a voting bloc is necessary to stem the tide of stupid.

NZNova said:
I think I might hoof it back to the start of the level and pick up some of those covenant sniper rifles that I left back there, because I only have 11 DMR rounds and the assault rifle left.
I think those covenant sniper rifles have some kind of "Elites Only" switch that turns them from annoying flashlights (in the hands of humans) to zorch-sabers-of-doom in the hands of the enemy.

The concussion rifle must have the same damn switch on it too.

Dax01 said:
The quality of the levels in Reach never approach the highs of Halo 1 or Halo 3, but if we're defining epic in terms of "how much shit is going on around the player at once and how big the shit is," then I think Reach takes the cake.
True. But in previous Halo games you were right in the middle of it, not just watching it happen from a distance. I'm still bummed that the beginning of Tip of the Spear was just a cut-scene. I had high hopes that we'd actually be playing that scene out.

Thagomizer said:
This is actually pretty funny for the mental image.

"Oh, a Spartan. Whatever." *Stick* "Back to the patrol."
:lol :lol :lol :lol

szaromir said:
Evolutions needs updating? OK, I'll wait with my purchases until all the updates are done. Greg Bear and Karen Traviss are the only announced authors for Halo at this point? I think they're both going to write trilogies, could be interesting (I expect Traviss' novels to bridge all the events so far and Halo 4... Can't wait).
The only announced people who are going to write more books.

Circle T said:
A single Grunt walked in the room, stopped, looked right at me, stuck me with a Grenade, and walked out.

NZNova

NullPointer said:
I think those covenant sniper rifles have some kind of "Elites Only" switch that turns them from annoying flashlights (in the hands of humans) to zorch-sabers-of-doom in the hands of the enemy.

The concussion rifle must have the same damn switch on it too.

lol. Tell me about it, I spent a long time getting ripped apart by the jetpacking snipers at the first big encounter of the level. Luckily I had Jun "helping". If it wasn't for the hologram I'd probably still be stuck there.

Blueblur1

Ramirez said:
What's funny about the AI is that they put up that story about how the driving AI had been fixed for Reach, and it's just as bad if not worse than the past games. :lol
Yep. Especially the Marine AI on the ONI: Sword Base level.

Most irritating friendly AI traits:

1. Refusal to fire the gauss hog at anything further than five feet away.
2. Firing the Warthog's chain gun in dainty, couple-second bursts.
3. Getting in the Warthog and driving off with it when you are trying to snipe with the gauss turret because of 1.

X26 said:
looks like ultra-cliquey and defensive HaloGAF in full force this afternoon, time to leave the thread (which seems to operate on a bizarre hierarchy anyways)

Meh, im not defensive of Reach at all, but I hate people who post a bunch of gibberish and call it a well written argument.

Personally im getting bored of Reach myself, check my game history, ive been on 3 more than ive been on Reach lately. The difference between me and you is that youve basically posted your opinion like its fact. Your saying a lack of drop in drop out is a bad thing, but I disagree. Everyone is going to have different opinions on stuff. I could try and write a well written argument on why I have problems with Reach, but its easier to just live and let live and play the game with friends (because its not aweful). If im not gonna write a good argument though im sure as hell not gonna write lots of useless stuff.

As for Gaf being a strange Heirarchy I think:

bobs99 > AR Crowd == BR Crowd > Monolith Gui.

The part about getting screwed over in Campaign unless in MM games is complete bullshit. Are Bungie planning on fucking everyone over for daring to not play MM?

I'm just really baffled at this mindset. You've had the entire studio work for years on making the most customisable game around, and encouraging players to play how they want, and then Reach comes along and you decide to fuck everyone over, or at least actively discourage this?

Custom games? Nope, no credits for you. Get your ass in matchmaking.
Forge? Hah, yeah like we're giving you credits for that.
Firefight? Tough shit, play the limited versions in matchmaking.

And now Campaign? "Play in matchmaking or fuck off"

The offline system for credits actually works pretty well, when you consider you can play whatever game mode you want and still earn credits. It's still a complete grindfest and far too excessive to rank up and unlock stuff, but at least you can play the game how you want. Well, until you connect to Xbox Live at any rate...

Overall, this seems to be a major problem with Reach. The core gameplay is solid. Multiplayer is generally excellent. The netcode is superb. But the experience is dragged down and ruined in places by subsystems. Whether it's the arena rating, assist system, challenges/commendations/credits, weird map design/balance.

It's a real shame because the core part of the product is so polished. But all the other stuff really detracts from that.

--------------------------------

The telepathic AI is also complete bullshit and far below the standard I expect of Bungie AI. I've read the presentations on the AI, and how there's a perception system built in to it... why has that been disregarded in favour of Wraiths that always know where you are, and Elites that magically know when you're aiming a Sniper Rifle at them

Gui_PT

bobs99 ... said:
As for Gaf being a strange Heirarchy I think:

bobs99 > AR Crowd == BR Crowd > Monolith Gui.

Whoa there, I see serious flaws in that. I remember you getting your ass kicked last time we played? Yeah, totally.

Magni

Dax01 said:
Ha. I've lobbied numerous complaints of the game in this OT and the last one, whether it be playlists, the campaign, some design decisions (*cough* pro-pipe *cough*), Firefight, and Forge.

Wait, what?

Circle T

NOKYARD said:
You were supposed to hide inside the provided cardboard box.

:D
OH, duh, I knew I was forgetting something. :lol

Thagomizer said:

Pretty much. He didn't even do the startled Grunt jump/yell thing like they do sometimes. He just walked through the door, paused, stuck a grenade to my invisible face, and left. He even turned around and started walking away before the grenade blew up. It was quite hilarious. I was seething with rage, but I couldn't stop laughing about how cheap the game can be at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom