• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinAmano

I loved FFA...it is what I spent much of my time in Halo 3 in...ended up with a 46 in it...only played because I never had reliable/consistent teammates...I am fearing the same will happen in Reach...I only have three or four players that play on a regular basis on my list.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
FFA Objective playlist might give Team Control/Tactical from Halo 3 a run for it's money as most worthless playlist ever.
Yup. I can't see it being populated. FFA Slayer I understand a bit, but FFA Objective I don't.

MMaRsu said:
I'm playing rumble pit trying to play a game of SLAYER and all these fucking idiots are voting for are Infection, Safe Haven, Oddball and KOTH.

FUCK YOU and this fucking game for forcing me to play gametypes I don't WANT to play. How fucking hard is it to understand Bungie?

If I want to play a game of slayer, since 20 minutes ago I've been playing bullshit gametypes and quitting out of matches. Now I don't like to quit, however if I'm forced to play some shit I don't feel like playing I'll quit

Ehh I just want to play some FFA, you know.

But fine I'll go to Team Slayer just because I can't get a FFA going at all which imo is fucking garbage. Don't force me to play these shitty fucking modes Bungie.
At least in TS you get some satisfaction of helping someone get a kill. Ffa has always just been cherry picking heaven.

Hugbot

Trasher said:
Yup. I can't see it being populated. FFA Slayer I understand a bit, but FFA Objective I don't.
Well, my primary point was that the month of release was the time to have more playlists so that playlists that withered could be rolled into other playlists at an appropriately lowered rate. It might've surprised people and carried a population for awhile and if it didn't then it wouldn't pop up too much at all when it got rolled in.

J-Roderton

Hey You said:
Hurry up and launch the Playlist Update. I want to play Infection, not this bullshit Slayer. :lol

2lc1vd2.jpg

GhaleonEB

I'm looking forward to Mythic Score Attack on the update the most, and the extension of that mode to 15 minutes. I could only finish the Round on two of the maps consistantly.

I'm glad to see default Firefight going to a full Set, but I will probably hold off on playing it much until there are limited lives. Without the tension of finite lives, it's just not the same as death has no consequence. I really would like to see limited lives added in.

Chorazin

StUnNeR H2K said:
How FFA lovers are out there? I've played it some(H2, H3 & Reach) but don't care for it. Maybe my Halo CE lan party days has me biased towards team games, but just about any gametype is better when you play as a team. This is my opinion of course, but I'm just not able to wrap my head around FFA, it has always just been chaos.

I absolutely love FFA, and I'm almost always in the top half when I play FFA Slayer modes. I mean, team is fine, but I love just diving in to the chaos and shooting everything that moves.

Rumble Pit, IMO, should be: Slayer, Elite Slayer, Classic Slayer, King of the Hill, and Crazy King. The only reason the Kings are in there is because Bungie doesn't seem to want objective games out of the playlist, and they are the most FFA of all the objective modes.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm looking forward to Mythic Score Attack on the update the most, and the extension of that mode to 15 minutes. I could only finish the Round on two of the maps consistantly.

I'm glad to see default Firefight going to a full Set, but I will probably hold off on playing it much until there are limited lives. Without the tension of finite lives, it's just not the same as death has no consequence. I really would like to see limited lives added in.
Absolutely. I think limited lives are needed as well.

GhaleonEB said:

I agree with you but there are some potential issues.

If there's a pool of lives for the team, you know people would grief by getting killed on purpose. And then if you have individual lives, what happens to people that die early? Do they have to spectate until the end? Currently this game isn't set up to let people leave matches gracefully.

StUnNeR H2K

Chorazin said:
I absolutely love FFA, and I'm almost always in the top half when I play FFA Slayer modes. I mean, team is fine, but I love just diving in to the chaos and shooting everything that moves.

Rumble Pit, IMO, should be: Slayer, Elite Slayer, Classic Slayer, King of the Hill, and Crazy King. The only reason the Kings are in there is because Bungie doesn't seem to want objective games out of the playlist, and they are the most FFA of all the objective modes.

I did decent in it in Halo 3, finished with a high 30, but didn't play much. I guess my reasoning is that if I'm going to play a game by myself I'm more interested in something like a single player RPG then Halo. Always associated Halo with friends since thats how I got hooked into it, just most of them don't play on XBOX Live. Everyone has a niche they fit into the Halo online multi-player experience... mines obviously team based games.

GhaleonEB

Neuromancer said:
I agree with you but there are some potential issues.

If there's a pool of lives for the team, you know people would grief by getting killed on purpose. And then if you have individual lives, what happens to people that die early? Do they have to spectate until the end? Currently this game isn't set up to let people leave matches gracefully.
They way Firefight works, if you exhaust your pool of lives, you are put on viewing mode until the start of the next Wave, which usually isn't very long with multiplier players. When "Reinforcements" is announced, players who exhausted their lives respawn. So worst-case scenario, if they get crushed early on, they have to watch for a little while and then be careful.

With team killing turned off and player lives segmented rather than pooled, individual players will have a hard time griefing their team mates. (There are ways, but none very consequential.)

GhaleonEB said:
They way Firefight works, if you exhaust your pool of lives, you are put on viewing mode until the start of the next Wave, which usually isn't very long with multiplier players. When "Reinforcements" is announced, players who exhausted their lives respawn. So worst-case scenario, if they get crushed early on, they have to watch for a little while and then be careful.

With team killing turned off and player lives segmented rather than pooled, individual players will have a hard time griefing their team mates. (There are ways, but none very consequential.)
Oh OK that would work then. I'd be all for it.

GhaleonEB said:

Wat? I think he just illustrated what the problem would be. Griefers getting killed on purpose. You get a whopping single life back after the round is completed. A pool of lives is negated by griefers. It'd be better to just assign each player their own set of lives which would instantly fix this problem. You still have the issue of griefers running out of lives and not having sufficient help, but that can't be addressed, sadly.

I just hope if they do limited lives, they make it a seperate option. I personally see FF as a nice relaxing reprieve with friends from MP at times and having unlimited lives allows it to remain that way. I also can appreciate the competative side where you'd want limited lives so I support your wish, just want both worlds.

Edit: Didn't see you mention segmented lives, my bad.

GhaleonEB

SquallASF said:
Wat? I think he just illustrated what the problem would be. Grifers getting killed on purpose. You get a whopping single life back after the round is completed. A pool of lives is negated by griefers. It'd be better to just assign each player their own set of lives which would instantly fix this problem. You still have the issue of griefers running out of lives and not having sufficient help, but that can't be addressed, sadly.
That's exactly what I was arguing for:

GhaleonEB said:
With team killing turned off and player lives segmented rather than pooled, individual players will have a hard time griefing their team mates.

SquallASF said:
I just hope if they do limited lives, they make it a seperate option. I personally see FF as a nice relaxing reprieve with friends from MP at times and having unlimited lives allows it to remain that way. I also can appreciate the competative side where you'd want limited lives so I support your wish, just want both worlds.
I'm fine with that. There's no reason to eliminate an infinite lives mode, just add in a "Firefight Challenge" playlist with limited lives, Legendary options, etc.

Firefight matchmaking right now is a fun, brief blast, but it's devoid of challenge. My preferred flavor of Firefight is one where survival is the goal. The skull progression doesn't really matter with infinite lives. When stuff like Generator Defense, Versus and finite lives kick in, that's when Firefight will consume me.

Hugbot

SquallASF said:
Wat? I think he just illustrated what the problem would be. Grifers getting killed on purpose. You get a whopping single life back after the round is completed. A pool of lives is negated by griefers. It'd be better to just assign each player their own set of lives which would instantly fix this problem. You still have the issue of griefers running out of lives and not having sufficient help, but that can't be addressed, sadly.

Edit: Didn't see you mention segmented lives, my bad.
Most of my Firefight time is spent with a few people who tend to die a lot and they would be bummed if there wasn't at least a mode with unlimited lives. I'd like to see a limited mode too, but the option should stay.

GhaleonEB said:
That's exactly what I was arguing for:

I'm fine with that. There's no reason to eliminate an infinate lives mode, just add in a "Firefight Challenge" playlist with finite lives, Legendary options, etc.

Firefight matchmaking right now is a fun, brief blast, but it's devoid of challenge. My preferred flavor of Firefight is one where survival is the goal. The skull progression doesn't really matter with infinite lives. When stuff like Generator Defense, Versus and finite lives kick in, that's when Firefight will consume me.

Indeed, hopefully they give us the best of both worlds which shouldn't be hard to do.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just matched a group of Japanese guys. They pulled host and they were eating shots like crazy.

We still beat them

Kind of a bummer to hear that weapon pickup is disabled in Sniper Attack. I know why they did it (and I'm guilty of grabbing the FRG first chance I get), but not being able to pick up the Face Melter makes it that much more of a useless weapon in Reach. :-(

GhaleonEB

Mythic Score Attack, here I come. *rubs hands*

Is is correct that in Score Attack, there are no spare weapons on the map? I've never found any, but I'd like to rock Armor Lock for Mythic, but the DMR is essential.

Chorazin

cuevas said:
This means nothing.

It means a lot to me because when I'm winning or doing well I have more fun. I'm not trying to say I'm some sort of Halo god, or that I'm all that good really, I was just stating a reason I like FFA.

I thrive on the chaos of combat where everyone is trying to kill everyone else.

GhaleonEB said:

Is is correct that in Score Attack, there are no spare weapons on the map? I've never found any, but I'd like to rock Armor Lock for Mythic, but the DMR is essential.

Oops you meant in general, not the update change. Yeah, I haven't found any lying around in any maps.

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

Yeah, no Spare Weapons. I'd just pick Sprint at first, kill yourself in the safe room, then choose Armor Lock. Yes, you lose a life, but you get your armor ability and DMR*.

*and a shotgun for the Brutes unless you do what I do and get all of the Needler Rifles so I can see the dumb space rhino apes blow up in pink explosions

GhaleonEB

ZayneH said:
Yeah, no Spare Weapons. I'd just pick Sprint at first, kill yourself in the safe room, then choose Armor Lock. Yes, you lose a life, but you get your armor ability and DMR*.

*and a shotgun for the Brutes unless you do what I do and get all of the Needler Rifles so I can see the dumb space rhino apes blow up in pink explosions
I do the Needle Rifle thing for the Brutes, but the problem is about half the time I run out due to not snagging enough before they show up. Which makes taking them out when a squad of 4-6 charge the stairs trick - I go down to a sticky grenade (half the time theirs, half the time mine returned). So Armor Lock would let me survive those moments.

On the other hand, Sprint is mighty handy for gettng me out of the open when a flock of Skirmishers show up. Decisions, decisions. I'll try both tonight.

Lazslo

cuevas said:
why did this website crash my computer? I haven't gotten a bluescreen since like 02' till I went there.
Whoa I don't know, worked fine for me. It's only a game informer site, sorry bro.

GhaleonEB said:

So Mythic is all skulls on right from the start? *shivers*

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I do the Needle Rifle thing for the Brutes, but the problem is about half the time I run out due to not snagging enough before they show up. Which makes taking them out when a squad of 4-6 charge the stairs trick - I go down to a sticky grenade (half the time theirs, half the time mine returned). So Armor Lock would let me survive those moments.

On the other hand, Sprint is mighty handy for gettng me out of the open when a flock of Skirmishers show up. Decisions, decisions. I'll try both tonight.

Usually my maps of choice for Score Attack are either Corvette or Courtyard. For Courtyard, I take out the Jackals with the Needler Rifle first (well after the ones with the annoying Focus Rifle), and pick up all of the ammo. Sometimes I can get all of the Brutes with all of the ammo, but most of the time I forget a dropped weapon or two so I have to rely on Plasma Repeaters or the Assault Rifle for the Brutes. By the time I have to do that, they're too close to the Safe Room's doors for me to use the DMR.

I usually just lead the Skirmishers to the front of the door or into the safe house so I can easily take care of them and so I have a nice supply of Plasma Pistols for the Elites.

Kuroyume

Banned
I wish there was a FFA Slayer playlist... Would have liked Halo 3 more if that was the case but no they had to shoehorn KOTH, Oddball, and other awful stuff in there. I want FFA Arena. Slayer only. I would actually bother with Arena if it was there.

Numpt3

I got a new 250gb slim today. Copied my saved games and stuff across, installed Reach and had a bash at the campaign again. The fr is choppy as hell compared to what it was like on my old 360 :/

ZayneH said:
Usually my maps of choice for Score Attack are either Corvette or Courtyard. For Courtyard, I take out the Jackals with the Needler Rifle first (well after the ones with the annoying Focus Rifle), and pick up all of the ammo. Sometimes I can get all of the Brutes with all of the ammo, but most of the time I forget a dropped weapon or two so I have to rely on Plasma Repeaters or the Assault Rifle for the Brutes. By the time I have to do that, they're too close to the Safe Room's doors for me to use the DMR.

I usually just lead the Skirmishers to the front of the door or into the safe house so I can easily take care of them and so I have a nice supply of Plasma Pistols for the Elites.
the Spiker is a much better weapon against the Brutes. It's a great fallback weapon once you run out of the Nerfles, since they're pretty much everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom