• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
SailorDaravon said:
? The map seems at least level (with both "bases" being equal height) and there's the bottom-level part as well. Actually probably the one map I've had the least spawn-killing issue with :lol

That aside, we did play one match where this guy on the other team was freaking wrecking us with the Focus Rifle, which was actually pretty amazing.
Damn business trips keeping me away from reach.

New maps sound good to me. Any map that can make that gun work must be good :lol

leng jai

Over a month later and I still haven't finished the campaign. As someone who predominately bought Reach for its singleplayer, I can't say I'm pleased with the purchase. The biggest problem for me is the borderline rubbish framerate. I don't know what happened with Bungie here but its just atrocious. The game can barely obtain a stable 30fps during fights with more than a few enemies (which is basically 80% of the game) and the constant stuttering is very jarring. Cutscenes constantly suffered as well which makes little sense to me and almost unwatchable. Its not like Bungie's cutscenes are worth suffering over anyway. The level where you're driving a scorpion around is some of the worst framerate I've encountered this gen. Most of the level was sub 20fps and almost a slideshow at times. I might be slightly dramatic about the framerate but I guess that comes down to expectation. All the other triple AAA shooters seem to have rock solid framerates (Gears 2, UC2, KZ2, MW2) and coming from Bungie I expected the same. The gameplay itself was okay, but the bullet sponge enemies are very annoying especially when they're wielding one shot kill fuel rods. It doesn't help when you seem to be stuck with an AR half the time. At the end of the day the game boils down to seeing a drop ship and then having to kill a few waves of enemies. Thats basically the crux of the singleplayer to me and I'm just not having a great time.

I guess starting on heroic was a mistake on my behalf. At this point I'm just going to drop it down to normal and blaze to the end of the game. Never been a huge fan of Halo online and I'm not even on Live Gold at the moment. Don't mind me though, at this point I do realise not many people still care about the campaign.

leng jai said:
Over a month later and I still haven't finished the campaign. As someone who predominately bought Reach for its singleplayer, I can't say I'm pleased with the purchase. The biggest problem for me is the borderline rubbish framerate. I don't know what happened with Bungie here but its just atrocious. The game can barely obtain a stable 30fps during fights with more than a few enemies (which is basically 80% of the game) and the constant stuttering is very jarring. Cutscenes constantly suffered as well which makes little sense to me and almost unwatchable. Its not like Bungie's cutscenes are worth suffering over anyway. The level where you're driving a scorpion around is some of the worst framerate I've encountered this gen. Most of the level was sub 20fps and almost a slideshow at times. I might be slightly dramatic about the framerate but I guess that comes down to expectation. All the other triple AAA shooters seem to have rock solid framerates (Gears 2, UC2, KZ2, MW2) and coming from Bungie I expected the same. The gameplay itself was okay, but the bullet sponge enemies are very annoying especially when they're wielding one shot kill fuel rods. It doesn't help when you seem to be stuck with an AR half the time. At the end of the day the game boils down to seeing a drop ship and then having to kill a few waves of enemies. Thats basically the crux of the singleplayer to me and I'm just not having a great time.

I guess starting on heroic was a mistake on my behalf. At this point I'm just going to drop it down to normal and blaze to the end of the game. Never been a huge fan of Halo online and I'm not even on Live Gold at the moment. Don't mind me though, at this point I do realise not many people still care about the campaign.

Find a plasma pistol. Profit. Elites really don't take much on Heroic.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
SailorDaravon said:
NameGenerated, that just encourages that shit. If I actually have Team and Party turned off and I start hearing that you have to either roll straight with it, OR alternatively just start spewing madness. Some people will still go off no matter what, but a lot of the time you can shut them up and/or confuse them. For example:

xXKidXx: You're gay!
Daravon: Totally, I love mancannons. Wanna hook up? No seriously, I'm in Virginia, let's do this.

Or

xXKidXx: You're gay!
Daravon: I KNOW YOUR FATHER'S NAME
Yeah, I occasionally do that too. My friend and I got into an conversation with this one guy in Invasion. It somehow ended up where the dude was going to do a bombing-run with airplanes, but instead of bombs it was going to be him dropping dicks on our houses and we were going to be there ready to receive them.
A lot of the conversion contained racial slurs which I have left out. :lol

MrDaravon

NameGenerated said:
Yeah, I occasionally do that too. My friend and I got into an conversation with this one guy in Invasion. It somehow ended up where the dude was going to do a bombing-run with airplanes, but instead of bombs it was going to be him dropping dicks on our houses and we were going to be there ready to receive them.
A lot of the conversion contained racial slurs which I have left out. :lol

:lol :lol :lol

Fuck, I'm going to have to remember that one. One of the best was in Halo 2 one of my friends was really drunk, and he kept asking one of our teammates if he was "one of those guys who beats his wife, but then feels bad about it afterwards."

Thagomizer said:
While effective, this is also one of the most boring ways to fight imo, and on harder difficulties you're pushed more and more into using this combo. It got to the point where I was looking for any way to avoid using it.

Instead of plasma pistol to drop their shields, you can use the AR as well. It takes a little longer, but controlled bursts will work. Once their shields pop switch to the DMR or pistol for the headshot, or stick their flesh with a few needles to drop them quick. That is, if you're looking for other alternatives.

I've actually just hit my burnout point with Reach. I still love the campaign, firefight, etc. but its been pretty much the only game in my xbox since launch, so it was only a matter of time. The multiplayer, while great for tossing you into varied game modes, just doesnt provide the high points I get from other games - but what it does provide is solid, across the board.

I'll be back at some point - haven't finished it on Legendary yet and that's just not right.

Cocopjojo said:
With the new complaining rules, this is the best thread yet.
That thread is gold.
53613314aeat.jpg

Red

I know a couple kids who've been resetting challenges and haven't had their credits set back. How often does a player need to reset before they can be detected?

leng jai said:

Is it seriously like this for people? That's pretty sad. Glad I don't get that shit. :lol

leng jai

Thagomizer said:

Does the plasma pistol fix the framerate too?

I'm aware of this tactic but personally the plasma pistol is one of my least preferred weapons.

MrDaravon

Crunched said:
I know a couple kids who've been resetting challenges and haven't had their credits set back. How often does a player need to reset before they can be detected?

Dunno, but they have to give people at least a few freebies due to unintentional disconnects. Kinda sucks, since the one that I got by accident twice counted twice in my total Daily Challenges completed on bnet :( They're probably still working out how to get it fully automated, they may just be pulling data on the most blatant offenders manually or something.

Red

PsychoRaven said:
To me it sounds like a dying 360 if it's that bad.
Reach dips to 20 fps universally, across all 360s, at a pretty consistent rate (campaign, anyway). Whether or not you notice it, or whether or not it bothers you is a different issue. To deny that it happens is just wrong.

Still, calling it a slideshow is exaggerating. It's not that bad, and ~20 fps is about the lowest it gets. It chugs, but it doesn't perceptibly move frame-by-frame.
SailorDaravon said:
Dunno, but they have to give people at least a few freebies due to unintentional disconnects. Kinda sucks, since the one that I got by accident twice counted twice in my total Daily Challenges completed on bnet :( They're probably still working out how to get it fully automated, they may just be pulling data on the most blatant offenders manually or something.
That's what I was wondering. There's one guy specifically who boosted to Lt. Colonel grade 3 a couple weeks after launch. I assumed he'd get picked up and have his credits reset, but I guess not.

leng jai

Crunched said:
Reach dips to 20 fps universally, across all 360s, at a pretty consistent rate (campaign, anyway). Whether or not you notice it, or whether or not it bothers you is a different issue. To deny that it happens is just wrong.

Still, calling it a slideshow is exaggerating. It's not that bad, and ~20 fps is about the lowest it gets. It chugs, but it doesn't perceptibly move frame-by-frame.

FYI this is on a new Slim 360. I didn't the slideshow was a regular occurrence, just on the level when you're in the Scorpion. My game literally paused (for slightly longer than what you would class as a stutter) when the shit hit the fan during the sequence.

Sobriquet

Crunched said:

Just a few times, apparently. It'll be automated soon, so all of those that were missed will eventually get the reset and two-week cR ban.

Red

leng jai said:
FYI this is on a new Slim 360. I didn't the slideshow was a regular occurrence, just on the level when you're in the Scorpion. My game literally paused (for slightly longer than what you would class as a stutter) when the shit hit the fan during the sequence.
It it paused it was probably loading. That happens a few times throughout the game. It's not performance-related in the sense that it's taxing on the console.

ElRenoRaven

Crunched said:

That's what I was wondering. There's one guy specifically who boosted to Lt. Colonel grade 3 a couple weeks after launch. I assumed he'd get picked up and have his credits reset, but I guess not.

No no it clearly doesn't do it on all 360s. There are tons of people who haven't had it do that. Your experience does not mean it's any more fact then my and many others experiences.

Red

PsychoRaven said:
No no it clearly doesn't do it on all 360s. There are tons of people who haven't had it do that. Your experience does not mean it's any more fact then my and many others experiences.
All 360s are made of the same hardware. It is literally the same.

I'm going to link the digital foundry analysis. You can dismiss it, sure, but it only makes you more wrong.

Unless someone can post convincing evidence that a single game would run inconsistently across identical, closed units of hardware, I'm going to assume I'm right.

Honestly, the only, ONLY framerate problem I noticed in Reach was
when fighting right outside the Covenant structure, the same map used for Glacier.
It was smooth all over for everything else.

ElRenoRaven

Crunched said:
All 360s are made of the same hardware. It is literally the same.

I'm going to link the digital foundry analysis. You can dismiss it, sure, but it only makes you more wrong.

Unless someone can post convincing evidence that a single game would run inconsistently across identical, closed units of hardware, I'm going to assume I'm right.

Keep telling yourself that you're right and everyone else is wrong.

ElRenoRaven

NullPointer said:
Framerate issues are definitely there (have a new 250Gig slim), but they didn't affect my gameplay at least.

Exactly nobody is saying there aren't times it doesn't fluctuate. However some seem to have it so massive so often that the game is "unplayable". I can name 3 cutscenes it dropped. I can name one gameplay point it had some framerate issues and that was the mission the glacier map is based on. At no time did it drop to below 20 fps though.

Now firefight wise yes Glacier has some serious slowdown.

Dax01 said:
Honestly, the only, ONLY framerate problem I noticed in Reach was
when fighting right outside the Covenant structure, the same map used for Glacier.
It was smooth all over for everything else.

Interestingly enough, I noticed this on the Firefight map, but not in Campaign. Same for the Holdout area(happened ONCE in a full game of four people, in Rocket Fight). Those are the only two times I've ever had framerate issues.

Red

PsychoRaven said:
Exactly nobody is saying there aren't times it doesn't fluctuate. However some seem to have it so massive so often that the game is "unplayable".

Wait what

AwesomeSyrup said:
I've played on two different 360s and NEVER had framerate issues.
PsychoRaven said:

What are you arguing with me about then?

ElRenoRaven

Platypus said:
the only framerate issues i have encountered have been on glacier. it drops to Perfect Dark N64 levels when there is a ton of action going on.

It really does which is odd because in campaign it does really well until the point you have the banshee and two tanks up along with the ton of enemies. At that point it drops a bit. However when it comes to firefight on the map it's probably a good 25 FPS tops 3/4ths of the time.

Speaking of all this framerate talk I wonder when Bungie is finally going to speak up about it and speak about if they plan to maybe patch it somehow if they can. I would love to see at least the cutscenes and Glacier's fps smoothed out.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
NameGenerated said:
Holy shit, the idiocy of some people on Xbox Live never ceases to amaze me.

This dude in rumble pit was just rambling on complaining about everything from sprinters to armor lockers to people using the AR. About halfway through he was bitching about how nobody was talking because they're "probably 5 year-olds". So I put my mic in (something I regret) and tell him to stop whining and just play the game. No matter what sense I try to talk him into he just say "No, you're bad" non-fucking-stop. I ask him if he has any other insults, more "no, you're bad". I kill him once with the sword and all of the sudden "that's the only weapon I know how to use", which was funny because he was using it like 30 seconds before, so I called him out on it and his excuse was that he didn't get any kills with it. I ended up winning with 25, he only had 20 and no matter what I tried to say he'd just comeback with "you're butthurt and can't think of anything good to say". Also, I'm a kid apparently, and I learned some new Halo slang in "randy" which I guess mean random people you fight in rumble pit.

Sorry for the pointless post, I just hate people like this.
Eh, today I entered a new level of XBL silence, I set it so everyone was muted, teammates and enemies after two games of Team Snipers, the first one I had a drunken british guy who claimed to not know how to play the game, yet he did just fine, the other I had two idiotic kids act like rednecks.

Also I've been getting this for awhile, but since people are talking up framerate issues and the like, whenever there is a host switch in a match (doesn't matter when) and the new host is picked when I play, the game will stutter up and then go back to normal then stutter up, the whole thing lasts for at least 15 to 30 seconds, still annoying though.

And if anyone thinks there aren't any framerate issues then either they're lying or their pc is masquerading around as a 360.

PsychoRaven said:
Speaking of all this framerate talk I wonder when Bungie is finally going to speak up about it and speak about if they plan to maybe patch it somehow if they can. I would love to see at least the cutscenes and Glacier's fps smoothed out.
Has there ever been a patch for a console game that helped framerate issues?

And from the feeling I get around these parts there's no use hoping for any kind of Reach DLC outside of map packs.

ElRenoRaven

NullPointer said:
Has there ever been a patch for a console game that helped framerate issues?

And from the feeling I get around these parts there's no use hoping for any kind of Reach DLC outside of map packs.

There have been a couple. The most recent one I can think of off the top of my head was the original Bioshock.

GhaleonEB

That new credit reset thread is freaking gold. Ferrex's "don't waste my time any more" bit just made it even better. My how the banhammer has evolved. :D

I played two Score Attack games to knock off the two Firefight Challenges today. The new time limit of 15 minutes definitely helps wrap up a full Round much more easily. Using the suggested approach of killing myself with grenades while holding the DMR, then respawning with Armor Lock, I was able to get through the Round on Holdout pretty easily by holding up in the starting box, and locking up whenever grenades got into the room.

Glacier was fun, and I also finished the round on there. But about halfway through my match the framerate did take an epic dive, and didn't recover very well. I had more slowdown in that Firefight game than in my entire first campaign play through. If that's the reason it wasn't in matchmaking, it's a good one. I can't imagine it with four players.

I'm wiped out tonight and have some housework to do, so I'll save Mythic Score Attack for another night. But just the bump to 15 minutes alone makes all of the maps better.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
That new credit reset thread is freaking gold. Ferrex's "don't waste my time any more" bit just made it even better. My how the banhammer has evolved. :D

I played two Score Attack games to knock off the two Firefight Challenges today. The new time limit of 15 minutes definitely helps wrap up a full Round much more easily. Using the suggested approach of killing myself with grenades while holding the DMR, then respawning with Armor Lock, I was able to get through the Round on Holdout pretty easily by holding up in the starting box, and locking up whenever grenades got into the room.

Glacier was fun, and I also finished the round on there. But about halfway through my match the framerate did take an epic dive, and didn't recover very well. I had more slowdown in that Firefight game than in my entire first campaign play through. If that's the reason it wasn't in matchmaking, it's a good one. I can't imagine it with four players.

I'm wiped out tonight and have some housework to do, so I'll save Mythic Score Attack for another night. But just the bump to 15 minutes alone makes all of the maps better.

Yup. Ferrex always cracks me up. Well his replies and all the tears the cheating children let flood the forum.

equil

Crunched said:

You're aloud to boost, your just not allowed to reset your challenges by pulling out your network cable.

PsychoRaven said:
Yup. Ferrex always cracks me up. Well his replies and all the tears the cheating children let flood the forum.

Well I'm glad they're having fun with non issues instead of fixing actual game issues.

Evade does not need to be a spartan armor ability.
Certain Objective Maps and Gametypes are broken; as well as respawn timers for some gametypes.
Living Dead; as always, is a great idea with horrible execution.
Arena involves way too much a time commitment for most people; hence why the population is so low.

The core mechanics are there, but there are so many, and i mean so many head scratching decisions in these playlists that I thought would be fixed since it had already happened in Halo 3.

Once again I will sit here and wait for the changes to come or not come.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
7 down, 2 more to go for Solo Legendary.

And I have to replay 8. Got through the tank part, cleared up to the spiral hallway. Was deciding what I want between my Fuel Rod(Full ammo), Needler Rifle, and BR. Ended up forgetting about the very top and got sticky. Took a break and forgot to hit quit/save. I think I did the same thing in Halo 3. =[

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Lead Based Paint said:
Well I'm glad they're having fun with non issues instead of fixing actual game issues.

Certain Objective Maps and Gametypes are broken; as well as respawn timers for some gametypes.
Living Dead; as always, is a great idea with horrible execution.
Arena involves way too much a time commitment for most people; hence why the population is so low.

The core mechanics are there, but there are so many, and i mean so many head scratching decisions in these playlists that I thought would be fixed since it had already happened in Halo 3.

Once again I will sit here and wait for the changes to come or not come.

I don't understand why everyone identifies evade so much as an elite thing. It's probably the best AA.

Does anyone know where to find the most recent iteration of Grifball? I downloaded some versions today and I have a feeling there are more maps out there with some more variation.

Ramirez

Evade is the best AA at making the game a joke, I agree. It's not a big deal on large maps, but seeing guys roll across half the map on stuff like Asylum and the like is lame. Not to mention CQC becomes an even bigger mess with evade.

Finally got to play Cliffhanger, it's ok, I like it better than Atom, but that's not saying much. All 3 structures are way too close to each other, and the bottoms of them are grenade death traps.

Is there any time table on when MLG's playlist might go up? I know it won't be for at least a month, if not longer...not even sure I'll care anymore by the time it hits. -_-

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Lead Based Paint said:
It doesn't feel right as a spartan ability and it replaces better AA's in objective.

It replaced the drop shield in the objective gametypes where dropshield was heavily exploited.

You're not the first though, there was a big misunderstanding even since the beta that sprint would be spartan only and evade would be elite only, I never got why.

Ramirez said:
Evade is the best AA at making the game a joke, I agree. It's not a big deal on large maps, but seeing guys roll across half the map on stuff like Asylum and the like is lame. Not to mention CQC becomes an even bigger mess with evade.

Finally got to play Cliffhanger, it's ok, I like it better than Atom, but that's not saying much. All 3 structures are way too close to each other, and the bottoms of them are grenade death traps.

Is there any time table on when MLG's playlist might go up? I know it won't be for at least a month, if not longer...not even sure I'll care anymore by the time it hits. -_-

I don't know about MLG, they keep changing their gametypes up. But if they're going to update the gametypes once a month then they may be able to get early versions in MM. You don't wanna stick something in there that's broken though. If not I'd really like to play some Grifball.

Slayer Pro back in Arena should hold us over, if it makes it back in before MLG anyway.

Ramirez

LAUGHTREY said:
It replaced the drop shield in the objective gametypes where dropshield was heavily exploited.

You're not the first though, there was a big misunderstanding even since the beta that sprint would be spartan only and evade would be elite only, I never got why.

No, it replaced Hologram...

Striker

Lead Based Paint said:

Already took note on comment one, but what are you referring to in #2? I do hope they move the flag and spawns back to the normal areas in Powerhouse. It's really different now, and I don't like the spawns initially for Team Slayer.

LAUGHTREY said:
I don't understand why everyone identifies evade so much as an elite thing. It's probably the best AA.
It is a fast-paced movement AA, and that should be Sprint for Spartans. Why there's both in Objective, or where-ever else is unknown to me. The five primary abilities for Objective should be, as followed: Sprint, Armor Lock, Camo, Hologram, Jetpack

None of this Evade and Drop Shield BS. 1-flag on Sword Base, cool, I don't mind the new changes. But why isn't Jetpack available for a map it's defined by?

On that note, has anybody actually played Cliffhanger in Team Slayer or Team Objective, yet? I downloaded it via the Reach in-game search, and ran through it. Looks, as expected, relatively small with little room for actual coverage. The bases seem rather confined. Just wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom