• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ajemsuhgao said:
Okay... I completed both Gunslinger challenges, but in game it still shows that I have 100/150 for the second one. :(
I haven't completed it yet, but from what I've read from others in this thread that just seems to be the case. You get the credits but the counter for the second Gunslinger seems bugged.

Barrow Roll said:
I haven't completed it yet, but from what I've read from others in this thread that just seems to be the case. You get the credits but the counter for the second Gunslinger seems bugged.

Yeah. Oh well, not a big deal at all. Doesn't hurt anything. :lol

Sai-kun

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
Pretty weak sauce challenges though. Just do what you already did 50 more times!

2en810o.gif

Lawl.

So I finally got around to watching the Legendary Edition Commentary and wow, what a let down. I paid for this content, why can't I just download it straight to my hard drive instead of streaming it through Waypoint? Constant buffering sucks. And that wouldn't be so bad if the commentary itself wasn't so friggin boring. Does it get better later? I lost interest after 7 minutes.

I've come to the conclusion that Pinnacle is the worst (my least favorite) map in Reach. The weapon spawns are unbalanced toward the blue team in a big way. Near instant access to the rockets, shotgun and sniper rifle? Oookay.

Also, Elite Slayer is already ruined due to Armor Lock, but Elite Slayer on Multi Team may be the worst experience one can have in Halo.

Falt

Barrow Roll said:
Lawl.

So I finally got around to watching the Legendary Edition Commentary and wow, what a let down. I paid for this content, why can't I just download it straight to my hard drive instead of streaming it through Waypoint? Constant buffering sucks. And that wouldn't be so bad if the commentary itself wasn't so friggin boring. Does it get better later? I lost interest after 7 minutes.

I enjoyed the commentary personally, thought it was very insightful. Completely agree with you though, not having it available to download in favour of streaming is just bizarre.

Falt said:
I enjoyed the commentary personally, thought it was very insightful. Completely agree with you though, not having it available to download in favour of streaming is just bizarre.
Yeah, I poked Frankie about it at launch, he said "they'd look into it, but no promises" and guess it never happened.
Which is why I haven't watched it, which is terrible considering I love the Halo 3 Dev Commentary, is fantastic.

Falt

ZeOuterlimits said:
Yeah, I poked Frankie about it at launch, he said "they'd look into it, but no promises" and guess it never happened.
Which is why I haven't watched it, which is terrible considering I love the Halo 3 Dev Commentary, is fantastic.

That's a pity.

Jason Jones, Joe Staten and Marty O'Donnell ripping on each other for 2+ hours made the H3 commentary. Jason Jones full stop. I don't know why, but I'm facinated by him.

After watching the Reach commentary I went back and watched the H2 and H3 stuff. So much content with H2 and 3. Reach? Not so much. Little disappointing.

Gui_PT said:
Who wants to do the co-op challenge? :D

post dem challenges.

Gui_PT

Blastin' and Relaxin' - 2000cR

Kill 180 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

Where There's Smoke... - 500cR

Kill 50 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking.

Iron With Friends - 750cR

Complete a Campaign mission co-op on Heroic or harder with the Iron Skull on.

Linked Up with Bungie.net - 3000cR

Link your gamertag with Bungie.net and play a game in Halo: Reach Matchmaking.

Shawn128

Gui_PT said:

Great. The linked challenge didn't work for me before, wonder if it'll work this time...

Kajiba

Man... I just had some 3 weird games back to back.

Playing slayer early this morning and I get like 2 minutes in and the game freezes. Then my team and the other team all quit except for me. I'm like "Wow, Not cool." Started playing another slayer game....it happens again. At this point I'm like "hmmmm is this my fault?"
So I load up a Big Team Game and started playing...I get like 40 seconds in and it happens again. I put the controller down and stop playing for awhile :lol. Really weird man... They all quit at the same time too. Not one then two....all the same time.

Gui_PT said:

Mmh. Looks nice. I guess the coop mission will not work or for me, because my connection is too bad for coop modes like firefight or campaign :(
But the other stuff is kind of easy :) Maybe I'll do the 180kills in MM.

Good day for credits sure but why are Bungie so keen on not rewarding players with more credits for more difficult challenges? It seriously feels like they are arbitrary numbers placed next to existing challenges. No consistencies... Game really doesn't feel polished at all :(

Falt

Hydranockz said:
Good day for credits sure but why are Bungie so keen on not rewarding players with more credits for more difficult challenges? It seriously feels like they are arbitrary numbers placed next to existing challenges. No consistencies... Game really doesn't feel polished at all :(

Inconsistent cR for challenges. Sure. Game not being polished because of it? :lol

Louis Wu

Plywood said:
How the fuck does anyone in 20 fucking 10 have a redbar connection?
rofl - I got a phone call this week from a neighbor; they were having trouble getting online, and when they called tech support, they were told that it might be their modem. She asked if I had a spare they could test, so she didn't have to go buy one if that wasn't really the problem.

"Sure, no problem. A cable modem, right?"

"What? No, no - a regular modem. You know... for dialup."

There was total silence from my end - because I didn't realize anyone around here was still USING regular modems, and was too stunned to speak. After about 5 seconds, she laughed and said "we're not THAT far behind the times, are we?"

"I really wish I could help you - but I haven't had a spare modem around in almost 10 years." (I actually still have one - but it's an emergency line that connects my T1 lines to AT&T directly; it's required by my contract with them. It's certainly not something I can yank out and lend to a neighbor for a bit.)

So yeah... redbars aren't COMPLETELY out of the question yet. :D

Louis Wu said:
rofl - I got a phone call this week from a neighbor; they were having trouble getting online, and when they called tech support, they were told that it might be their modem. She asked if I had a spare they could test, so she didn't have to go buy one if that wasn't really the problem.

"Sure, no problem. A cable modem, right?"

"What? No, no - a regular modem. You know... for dialup."

There was total silence from my end - because I didn't realize anyone around here was still USING regular modems, and was too stunned to speak. After about 5 seconds, she laughed and said "we're not THAT far behind the times, are we?"

"I really wish I could help you - but I haven't had a spare modem around in almost 10 years." (I actually still have one - but it's an emergency line that connects my T1 lines to AT&T directly; it's required by my contract with them. It's certainly not something I can yank out and lend to a neighbor for a bit.)

So yeah... redbars aren't COMPLETELY out of the question yet. :D
Would people who have dialup even be allowed to go on XBL?

LosDaddie

Banned
Gui_PT said:

Lovely. :D

Perfect daily challenges for a gamer-dad like myself. About an hour's playtime should be good for over 7k Cr

Dax01 said:

You could theoretically do it if you put your dial up modem on a router, or shared the connection through a normal PC. Though somehow I doubt anyone who is still rocking a 56k modem is going to have the wherewithal to set THAT up.

Dax01 said:

If you really wanted to you could probably spoof it using Internet Connection Sharing or something similar, but I doubt it would be playable. I bet even something like pulling up the dashboard w/all those ads would be an unpleasant experience. But I don't think Live does a generic bandwidth check when it tries to connect, so yes, in theory, possible.

[edit] dammit, beat.

Falt said:
Inconsistent cR for challenges. Sure. Game not being polished because of it? :lol
Because of it and just about every other tidbit of the game that when you pile them up, leave the game feeling very unpolished for a game of this calibre, yes.

Lothars

Hydranockz said:
Because of it and just about every other tidbit of the game that when you pile them up, leave the game feeling very unpolished for a game of this calibre, yes.

I don't think it says anything about polish if anything it says that they haven't go the challenge system perfected but it's definitely a polished game but it's not perfect and can always improve.

It's also kind of a silly comment, because no one complaining ever actually defines a metric to use for assigning the point value of challenges should be. Should it be time to get the challenge? Should it be difficulty (Throwing fireballs as an example of a high difficulty one), should it be that completing it adds value to your experience (see Armoury challenge and todays)? Should co-op challenges be worth more than campaign challenges because you need to be playing with friends?

So basically yea... comments about the inconsistency of an undefined/nebulous concept are basically really silly, so mostly it's just used as a codeword for "The challenge I will do in the course of my standard playsession isn't giving me enough credits."

Quick question about Halo 3, my friend got a new GT on the same Xbox he bought the maps on but when we tried to play it said he didn't have the maps. How does he connect that dlc with his new gt?

electricpirate said:
Should it be difficulty (Throwing fireballs as an example of a high difficulty one), should it be that completing it adds value to your experience (see Armoury challenge and todays)? Should co-op challenges be worth more than campaign challenges because you need to be playing with friends?

It should be a function of both time and difficulty. Why is that hard to understand? Example- Kill 100 enemies in multiplayer matchmaking is not the same as kill 100 enemies in firefight. Yet in the past they have both had the same credit reward.* 100 enemies in firefight will take about 5 minute in 1 game, and 100 enemies in mm will probably take 10 games at 10 minutes each, at least. Does it make sense to reward them the same? No, not really. But is it the end of the world, no not really either. I think there was also weekly one to get 1000 kills in mm, and it was only worth 4000 credits.

electricpirate said:
So basically yea... comments about the inconsistency of an undefined/nebulous concept are basically really silly, so mostly it's just used as a codeword for "The challenge I will do in the course of my standard playsession isn't giving me enough credits."

OK, I guess that's your opinion. I would just like to see it a bit more fair in how much effort goes into getting a challenge being commensurate with the reward. But again, like I said it's just a tiny reward for playing (and the playing is supposed to be what you enjoy, not the credits) that isn't really worth anything, so I don't understand why so many people get really upset about it.

* Maybe the challenges weren't both 100, but if you divided # of kills by credit reward, it came out to 10 always.

Gui_PT

brokenwatch said:
It should be a function of both time and difficulty. Why is that hard to understand? Example- Kill 100 enemies in multiplayer matchmaking is not the same as kill 100 enemies in firefight. Yet in the past they have both had the same credit reward.* 100 enemies in firefight will take about 5 minute in 1 game, and 100 enemies in mm will probably take 10 games at 10 minutes each, at least. Does it make sense to reward them the same? No, not really. But is it the end of the world, no not really either. I think there was also weekly one to get 1000 kills in mm, and it was only worth 4000 credits.

I don't know if this is how Bungie thought when deciding how many credits a challenge is worth, but in my opinion, you'll get way more credits for getting 100 kills in MM because you'll have to play more matches to get those kills than you do in FF.

So, the base credits for both challenges are the same, but you end up getting more for the MM one.

brokenwatch said:

OK, I guess that's your opinion. I would just like to see it a bit more fair in how much effort goes into getting a challenge being commensurate with the reward. But again, like I said it's just a tiny reward for playing (and the playing is supposed to be what you enjoy, not the credits) that isn't really worth anything, so I don't understand why so many people get really upset about it.

* Maybe the challenges weren't both 100, but if you divided # of kills by credit reward, it came out to 10 always.

You'll probably need to be more specific though, credit values have constantly been tweaked along the way, so saying, "It's happened" is much less effective than, "It's happening now."

Onto another subject!

So Reach seems to have lost about ~20% of it's player base from the COD release, (Yesterday at this time the 24 hour rolling count was 920k, today it's 750k). We'll see how the days goes on, but that seems about within expected "Holy shit new game" movement, we'll see how upcoming playlists and map pack releases, affect it.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
electricpirate said:
You'll probably need to be more specific though, credit values have constantly been tweaked along the way, so saying, "It's happened" is much less effective than, "It's happening now."

Onto another subject!

So Reach seems to have lost about ~20% of it's player base from the COD release, (Yesterday at this time the 24 hour rolling count was 920k, today it's 750k). We'll see how the days goes on, but that seems about within expected "Holy shit new game" movement, we'll see how upcoming playlists and map pack releases, affect it.
Where do you see the 24Hr count for Reach, all I see is the current population.

I noticed a big drop in swat too, not surprising just disappointing.

Gui_PT said:
I don't know if this is how Bungie thought when deciding how many credits a challenge is worth, but in my opinion, you'll get way more credits for getting 100 kills in MM because you'll have to play more matches to get those kills than you do in FF.

So, the base credits for both challenges are the same, but you end up getting more for the MM one.

That's a very fair point.

electricpirate said:

Not really check out the history of challenges this month for kill x enemies:

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Challenges/2010-November

Kill 250 enemies in any game mode in Reach. 2500 cR
Kill 125 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking. 1250 cR
Kill 250 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking. 2500 cr
Kill 150 enemies in any game mode in Reach. 1500 cR
Kill 10 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking 100 cR
Kill 40 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking. 400 cR
Kill 150 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking. 1500 cR

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gui_PT said:

I haven't complained in the past but at this point Bungie is just trolling us :lol

TheOddOne said:
Best friends forever :lol
Spartan: "Hey, this is my best and odd friend Mr. Grunt"
Grunt: "Why is there a camera, idiot? I'm really angry right now. Look me into the eyes. LOOK INTO MY DAMN EYES." :lol

I know it isnt funny. :/

Kajiba said:
Man... I just had some 3 weird games back to back.

Playing slayer early this morning and I get like 2 minutes in and the game freezes. Then my team and the other team all quit except for me. I'm like "Wow, Not cool." Started playing another slayer game....it happens again. At this point I'm like "hmmmm is this my fault?"
So I load up a Big Team Game and started playing...I get like 40 seconds in and it happens again. I put the controller down and stop playing for awhile :lol. Really weird man... They all quit at the same time too. Not one then two....all the same time.

Sure you weren't getting disconnected? Everyone quitting except you is what it looks like when you DC, at least it did for the one time it happened to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom