• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oozer3993 said:
I was a 45 in Halo 3 and got placed in Bronze last season :(
Yup.

Bronze this season, too (and I've placed top four in three quarters of my games, with a K/D of 1.27), though that's up from Iron yesterday without playing a game, so I suspect it's just because not many people have a placement yet?

I doubt Bungie would ever release it, but it would be nice to know the number of people who actually place each season.

GhaleonEB

Shawn128 said:
Blah. I can't get the linked up challenge to work again.

Been linked since Halo 2 days, I have the nameplate set, even tried changing it. No dice...can't get this challenge to register for me.
It didn't work for me either. My kid is going to be pissed, I told her she could get 3,000 easy credits today. :(
Dax01 said:
Bnet challenge worked for me this time. I checked the number of credits I had on hand before I searched for a match. When the challenge popped up as completed, I checked my credits again and three thousand had been added to my account.
I'll do the same with her, hopefully it works out.

Bnet challenge worked for me this time. I checked the number of credits I had on hand before I searched for a match. When the challenge popped up as completed, I checked my credits again and three thousand had been added to my account.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Does anyone else feel like this game doesn't have much going for it? I'm honestly just not feeling it lately, those new maps can't come soon enough. I just wish there was more of them.

Plywood said:
Does anyone else feel like this game doesn't have much going for it? I'm honestly just not feeling it lately, those new maps can't come soon enough. I just wish there was more of them.
I was playing earlier today... The MLG, Griffball, Action Sack playlists cannot come soon enough.

We need more 'Arena'-esque maps. The Pit, Narrows, Construct, Midship etc. Countdown is the closest thing we have. Reflection... I just can't wrap my head around that map. It just gravitates too heavily to the top. I just want some nicely mirrored maps that have maybe 3 different elevations and various routes to the bases...

Plywood said:

I just went back to halo 3 and I might stick to that until I get bored of it (or the MLG playlist comes out or they remove AL from arena). The controls feel more responsive for some reason, the game feels faster (with the exception of spring of course), the nades have more weight to them, kills feel more rewarding, dueling multiple enemies at once is satisfying and less annoying since they can't just use an AA to get out of it, and the BR is awesome.

cuevas said:
I just went back to halo 3 and I might stick to that until I get bored of it (or the MLG playlist comes out or they remove AL from arena). The controls feel more responsive for some reason, the game feels faster (with the exception of spring of course), the nades have more weight to them, kills feel more rewarding, dueling multiple enemies at once is satisfying and less annoying since they can't just use an AA to get out of it, and the BR is awesome.
The pace of Reach really bothers me. Is it the FOV or is it just a bit slower than 3?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hydranockz said:
I was playing earlier today... The MLG, Griffball, Action Sack playlists cannot come soon enough.

We need more 'Arena'-esque maps. The Pit, Narrows, Construct, Midship etc. Countdown is the closest thing we have. Reflection... I just can't wrap my head around that map. It just gravitates too heavily to the top. I just want some nicely mirrored maps that have maybe 3 different elevations and various routes to the bases...
Yeah those play list will help, I'm just seriously hoping their next map pack has more maps I mean come on the game shipped with 9 maps and all you come out with is a 3 map, map-pack. Disappointing.
cuevas said:
That too, the recoil is annoying as hell, I would've taken a reduced firing rate over this crap.

Ive been avoiding posting if im just being negative but I echo those sentiments, im just gonna hold out for the MLG playlist. The thing is for me that even if the maps were quality, its ultimately the gameplay that turns me off.

As unreasonable as this sounds I REALLY hope Bungie go all out with a Title Update. I know that would be unfair to the dudes that really enjoy Reach, but im just saying it could be a possibility.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Have to agree with the negative comments.

Reach has had no staying power for me, doesn't help that most of my friends list had no interest in it. Halo 3 > Reach. Still love the universe though.

Veelk

Banned
MrBig said:
Post game kill counter is broken, we've known this since launch.
News to me. This is the first time I've noticed it. Well, not entirely true, there were a few times where it was off, but I thought that was a glitch because I got one last kill after the game ended those times.

Willeth

GM Bullfrog said:
Not sure if anyone else has hit it yet in Score Attack, but I just got a 7,882 jackpot in it!
Damn. As great as it is that you can get the jackpot in Score Attack, it most likely means that quits in Score Attack count against the jackpot, which is really irritating.

Hydranockz said:
The pace of Reach really bothers me. Is it the FOV or is it just a bit slower than 3?

I think it's just a combination of a lot of things. FOV, Shooting speed, and moving speed that just gave Halo 3 a better feel.

Ramirez

Plywood said:

I played close to 20K games of Halo 2/3 combined, and a couple of months after Reach's release I can't even be bothered to turn it on to get an easy 3K credit challenge. :lol I'm not done with the game by any means, but there is no way I'm going to play this as much as the past two games. Were those V2 MLG changes for real Tashi? If they're allowing Sprint/Evade setups I really don't even think I'm gonna be interested in their playlist. I was hopeful that they would strip the game of all the BS, and try to get it back to a core Halo experience. =\

Doesn't help that Black Ops is the real deal Holyfield.
opinion subject to change in a few weeks

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:
I played close to 20K games of Halo 2/3 combined, and a couple of months after Reach's release I can't even be bothered to turn it on to get an easy 3K credit challenge. :lol I'm not done with the game by any means, but there is no way I'm going to play this as much as the past two games. Were those V2 MLG changes for real Tashi? If they're allowing Sprint/Evade setups I really don't even think I'm gonna be interested in their playlist. I was hopeful that they would strip the game of all the BS, and try to get it back to a core Halo experience. =\

It seems so but I don't think it's 100% official yet. I'm hearing that some of the gametypes that leaked were being tested and may or not be included (1 flag Countdown, Territories) I hope we find out soon though. Also, Evade is a pick up and not a loadout. There are loadouts though that allow you to choose a Needle Rifle.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Ramirez said:

The V2s were taken from Ninja 0n Fires fileshare, I assume they may be working on them still but as far as I know they hadn't released them because of the Recent MLG was still going to be V1 gametypes and they didn't want confusion.

Don't know why they haven't released them now though...

Presco

Plywood said:

I can't really believe it but I'm considering skipping the maps. After the new shine of Black Ops wears off, I think I'll be heading back to Halo 3 for competitive multi and attempt to fight through the netcode. I played a bunch a few weeks ago and the magic was still there. Reach will still get a spin for firefight here and there but unless there's a major playlist overhaul / fun injection, I don't really see myself spending a ton more time with the multiplayer. 1 week before the beta I saw myself playing little else for the next three years.

Striker

I've been mostly doing Team Slayer and did bits of Snipers, with randoms and I'm having fun. Some here might not like the map quality, but I find Asylum, Pinnacle, and Reflection far above what I played in Halo 3's launch for 4v4. Powerhouse is another I like, but there's too much voting for Elite Slayer on it. Would love for Elite Slayer weighting to be lowered.

Also Cliffhanger stinks. It's this game's version of Halo 3's Smashed.

Falagard

A lot of people seem to be hating on Reach.

Personally, I love the game and think it could be the best of the Halos with a little tweaking.

Now, back to playing Reach. See you online, jerks.

GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB said:
It didn't work for me either. My kid is going to be pissed, I told her she could get 3,000 easy credits today. :(

I'll do the same with her, hopefully it works out.
Didn't work. She had ~28,000 credits before the game, and 30,000 after, since she got some other Challenges, etc. But the b.net one alone should have put her at 31,000 cR. She's linked up to b.net so she should have been good. But it shows as not completed in game and on b.net for her.

Very frustrating, she was disappointed, but we had time for one game before her bedtime. The b.net Challenged didn't work for me the first time it rolled around, and it didn't work this time either. A lot of the Challenges seem broken lately. :\

Azar

GhaleonEB said:
A lot of the Challenges seem broken lately. :\
Reach feels like an example of initiative overstepping means. Bungie had a lot of great ideas that made it into the game, but a good many of them aren't working quite right. Bungie.net connectivity is amazing, but still isn't working fully two months after launch. Little things like the post-game score being messed up and some challenges not working are bummers. I don't remember Halo 3 launch too well, but the melee system is all that stands out in my mind. Reach, by contrast, seems like it could've used another month in the oven.

Oozer3993

Tashi0106 said:
Quit slackin Oozer :p

Ok maybe MLG playlist then. What were you in MLG?

lol I was a 20 in MLG. I didn't play it much & always went in alone though. I just wanted Silver. Of course, it doesn't help that I played the absolute minimum number of games needed to be placed :lol

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ramirez said:

I really only seem to turn it on for the challenges and even then there are times where I can't push myself to play it. Hell the main reason anyone really even bothers to earn/grind credits is for the armory, which I thought would have had a lot more pieces, but no when I hit the next "rank" I unlock one measly helmet or shoulder pad and the game isn't exactly the fun that H3 was for me to say "screw the armor, let me just play", which I did while others went off unlocking every achievement to get their Recon helmets.
Falagard said:
A lot of people seem to be hating on Reach.

Personally, I love the game and think it could be the best of the Halos with a little tweaking.

Now, back to playing Reach. See you online, jerks.
No one is hating on it, just expressing disappointment with it. But I think the only thing which could make me care or give me enthusiasm at this point is a title update.

edit: Also the Jackpot has not deterred quitters.

Kuroyume

Banned
My problem with the game are the maps. Since it shipped with so few maps I figured that getting those Forge maps out quickly was going to be a priority, but it hasn't happened with the exception of two. I've only managed to play one of those so far btw, and it (Atom) is easily the worst map in the game. I still have a lot of other problems with the game including the nerfed pistol, AL in Multi Team, beefed up AR that can shoot across maps, Invasion problems, and being forced to play stupid shit like Rocket Race and Headhunter among other things but the map problem is the worst problem of all. I'm not so sure three new maps is going to help much there.

A lot of you have gone on about how much you've burned out on it already, but I'm not so sure it's so much due to the differences between this Halo and the others but rather series fatigue. The game isn't really a big depature from the past games as much as you guys like to think. Killzone to Killzone 2 was a big depature. Super Metroid to Metroid Prime was a big departure. Resident Evil 0 to Resident Evil 4 was a big departure. Halo Reach isn't in that same league at all. It still plays like Halo, it's just not exactly Halo:CE, 2, or 3. 343 could make Halo 4 play exactly like Halo 3 and the feeling around here will still remain the same.

GhaleonEB

Azar said:
Reach feels like an example of initiative overstepping means. Bungie had a lot of great ideas that made it into the game, but a good many of them aren't working quite right. Bungie.net connectivity is amazing, but still isn't working fully two months after launch. Little things like the post-game score being messed up and some challenges not working are bummers. I don't remember Halo 3 launch too well, but the melee system is all that stands out in my mind. Reach, by contrast, seems like it could've used another month in the oven.
I believe this to be correct. It shows in a lot of little places, from Revenants launching to the initial state of the matchmaking playlists to the campaign slowdown, to the things you listed. It's more feature-rich than Halo 3, but more of those features have issues. And I think the MP map set at launch weren't quite there, especially in the BTB space.

Hopefully the Forgetacular contest yields good things. I put in my best effort.

(Made some nice progress on map #2 tonight. For all the flaws, one of the nice things at the end of a day is sitting down and just building something that's fun to run around in.)

Trasher

Ramirez said:
You are joking right? I'd rather play MW2. I'll give it a chance though. That's just my opinion after a few hours of online play.

I'm really happy that I never played on Cliffhanger. When I'm reading through the impression of many users that Map is really awful. Only 19days till the new Noble map pack is coming out and I cant wait to play on Tempest or Breakdown.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Assassinations are such bullshit. I wish I could just disable them. I never care to do them, but always hold the button down for a split second too long and get sucked out into the animation. God, it's so frustrating. Best case scenario it breaks my concentration, worst case it gets me killed.

Played some more matches tonight, and one of my worst nights in a while. Tons of quitters, and of course people voting for Elite Slayer which might as well be titled "Armor Lock Bonanza!"

Man, I just can't get over how broken Armor Lock is :lol
I mean, it's just baffling to me that it would be included in the game as it is.

Raide

timetokill said:
Played some more matches tonight, and one of my worst nights in a while. Tons of quitters, and of course people voting for Elite Slayer which might as well be titled "Armor Lock Bonanza!"

Man, I just can't get over how broken Armor Lock is :lol
I mean, it's just baffling to me that it would be included in the game as it is.

Take AL out of Elite Slayer and all will be good. Having Plasma Grenades from the off, does mean everyone is going for sticks. The only defence for that is AL.

One of the things that annoys me more in Halo than any other game is people quitting even before a game starts. Then within 1 or 2 seconds of spawning, more quit, which leaves you staring at that leader-board screen more than you actually play the game. Nothing ruins my enjoyment more than having a good few games in a row and then a laggy quit-fest.

For their next game, Bungie need to move away from the P2P stuff and get dedicated servers.

Ramirez

Trasher said:
You are joking right? I'd rather play MW2. I'll give it a chance though. That's just my opinion after a few hours of online play.

Nope, not joking. BO is in another universe compared to MW2, that game was a steaming pile.

I'm not even that excited for the map pack, mainly because I hate Invasion and don't really like BTB in Reach. Anchor 9 looks like the biggest gimmick of a map ever known to man with all of the shield doors and zero G fighting. :| The game needs maps like Midship, Beaver Creek, Pit, etc.

Finally made it to Lt. Colonel and unlocked the only armor I'll need until Security. :D

With the Mk V and MC's voice, Firefight is automatically twice, maybe three times, as awesome. Now to finish the look with the Mk V shoulders and gold visor.

JX6y7l.jpg

As far as competitive MP is concerned, I appreciate most of the changes Bungie has made to the core gameplay, including the armor abilities, but like so many, the extremely limited map selection as of now really sours me on the experience. The Forge World maps don't solve the problem, and the Forerunner aesthetic has really worn on me-- much more than I thought it would.

I'm glad Invasion and BTB are getting new maps with Breakpoint and Tempest, and Anchor 9 looks like it'll be fun for Slayer, but the current map selection is so poor that I can't help but feel that 3 maps won't be enough. With any luck, additional map packs from either Bungie or 343 will come with a frequency similar to Halo 3, which suffered from a similar, but not as severe, shortage of good maps at launch but was ultimately bolstered rather nicely by the end.

Nothing will ever top Halo 2's map lineup, though. Now those were the days.

Raide said:
Take AL out of Elite Slayer and all will be good. Having Plasma Grenades from the off, does mean everyone is going for sticks. The only defence for that is AL.

One of the things that annoys me more in Halo than any other game is people quitting even before a game starts. Then within 1 or 2 seconds of spawning, more quit, which leaves you staring at that leader-board screen more than you actually play the game. Nothing ruins my enjoyment more than having a good few games in a row and then a laggy quit-fest.

For their next game, Bungie need to move away from the P2P stuff and get dedicated servers.

Sure, I understand why people pick AL -- it's already overpowered as it is, and adding in the fact that everybody is using stickies means there's even less reason to use anything else.

Elite Slayer coupled with AL really just highlights the worst of Reach, though. Tons of kills are taken away, the game slows down a bunch as everyone has to wait for everyone else to come out of armor lock. Maps like Sword Base, which are already completely about dominating one small part of the map (the area at the top of the yellow lift) -- get even worse, as people sit in the room and spam plasma grenades and everyone keeps pulsing armor lock.

I agree though, the quitting is still very yawn-inducing. The bonuses/penalties are clearly not enough.

Jinjo

timetokill said:
I agree though, the quitting is still very yawn-inducing. The bonuses/penalties are clearly not enough.

No shit. I have quit no more than 10 games out of a few hundred played and I've only hit the 777 jackpot once. Let alone the 7.777 Cr one, which I have yet to even see. If players who (almost) never quit rarely get to see it why should a regular quitter stop? You need to give a clear incentive for sticking in games. The Cr jackpot is a step in the right direction but it needs to more regular. Think increasing Cr payouts when you finish your games, or even Cr multipliers when you have a non-quitting streak. (x2 payout when you finish 20 games in a row or something and that keeps on rising the longer the streak lasts.)

Edit: New challenges

Shootin' and Lootin' 2500cR
Kill 250 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

A Friend in Need 1000cR

Earn 10 assists in Firefight Matchmaking.

One Game, One Spawn 800cR

Complete a Firefight Matchmaking game without dying.

Just Hold On... 3000cR

Complete 20 Rounds in Firefight Matchmaking without dying.

Are they for real with the last one? :lol

That last challenge is insane for a daily. With perfect play constantly selecting Gruntpocalypse Corvette (my fastest gametype at ~6.5 minutes) I reckon that would take me ~2.5 hours of non-stop playing.

And in actuality, I'd die on some of those. Factoring in search times and map selection and deaths, it'd probably take about 4 hours of playing. Far more with harder gametypes / maps, or playing Firefight over Score Attack.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Falt said:
Well... I'm having fun.
Same.

I wish Bungie would put some old Halo maps that were remade in Forge World into the matchmaking. I don't see why they haven't done that yet, just adjust some settings to make it so the jetpack doesn't break it or whatever.

I don't really see how armor lock is broken at all. It's slightly annoying when someone uses it effectively, but there are many times where people use it and it just does nothing but delay their demise.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
Nope, not joking. BO is in another universe compared to MW2, that game was a steaming pile.

I'm not even that excited for the map pack, mainly because I hate Invasion and don't really like BTB in Reach. Anchor 9 looks like the biggest gimmick of a map ever known to man with all of the shield doors and zero G fighting. :| The game needs maps like Midship, Beaver Creek, Pit, etc.
Reach > BO

Hitscan actually works in Reach. Feels like my bullets don't hit dudes in BO way too often. Also, I'm not much of a graphics guy, but BO's multiplayer looks like crap compared to MF2 and Reach. I feel like I'm playing a PS2 game sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom