• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinjo

NameGenerated said:
Same.

I wish Bungie would put some old Halo maps that were remade in Forge World into the matchmaking. I don't see why they haven't done that yet, just adjust some settings to make it so the jetpack doesn't break it or whatever.

I don't really see how armor lock is broken at all. It's slightly annoying when someone uses it effectively, but there are many times where people use it and it just does nothing but delay their demise.

Yeah, I played a very nice Lockout remake that definitely has its place in matchmaking, but instead we get shit like Atom and Cliffhanger. Or the lack of Bart's manor in infection. Those maps should be no-brainers to immediately incorporate into matchmaking, but apparently I'm missing something here.

I don't really have a problem with armor lock users, I use it myself fairly often and when someone locks I usually ignore him. I treat a lock the same as someone sprinting away from me. I'm not going to wait that shit out when there's other victims walking around. If I'm in the vicinity I'll finish the job, but I rarely wait out the entire lock unless there's no one else nearby.

I'm with the people who think Reach doesn't have the staying power. I really don't know what it is, but every time I play online, I want to stop 1 or 2 matches in. It just doesn't keep me interested. However, if I'm playing with a full party, then yeah I'll have a great time. I hope Bungie does something with the playlists to make them more enjoyable (Ahem, no Armor Lock), and I really hope these new maps are actually good.

So, I guess for now I'm sticking to Black Ops. It's definitely gonna keep me occupied for a while.

-Yeti said:
I'm with the people who think Reach doesn't have the staying power. I really don't know what it is, but every time I play online, I want to stop 1 or 2 matches in. It just doesn't keep me interested. However, if I'm playing with a full party, then yeah I'll have a great time. I hope Bungie does something with the playlists to make them more enjoyable (Ahem, no Armor Lock), and I really hope these new maps are actually good.

So, I guess for now I'm sticking to Black Ops. It's definitely gonna keep me occupied for a while.

AL aside, I think the core gameplay in Reach is pretty good, though a few weapon tweaks are needed. The main problem is the maps.

I also find myself wishing for a few new Firefight maps. The Reach ones are good, don't get me wrong, but I find quite a few of them feel a bit too similar. I felt ODST's maps had larger variety. I'd love to see a Crater / Windward / Chasm Ten remake. I'm sure the first two could be easily fit in to Reach's setting too.

Jinjo said:

Just Hold On... 3000cR

Complete 20 Rounds in Firefight Matchmaking without dying.

Good lord I could see doing that if it was 20 reinforcements, but that is absurd for rounds even if I can pretty much beat Beachhead every time without dying by using the Warthog. That would make a much better weekly challenge so you could split the games up, that I would not mind.

Falt

Zeouterlimits said:
And most of the people here are.
Could have fooled me!
Just a marred experience.
I know and completely understand where a lot of the woes in this thread are coming from. I've shouted "Mother fuckin' Armour Locking bitch!" more times than any man should have to. I've cursed out the cluster fuck that is Elite Slayer. Stuck fingers up at Pinnacle for being well, Pinnacle.

I did the same in Halo 1, 2 and 3. Be it Isolation in H3, BXR whores from H2 or getting 3 shotted from 2000 yards out on Sidewinder in H1. In my opinion, the little things don't detract from the bigger picture here. They never have.

Gui_PT

Evil Benius said:
Good lord I could see doing that if it was 20 reinforcements, but that is absurd for rounds even if I can pretty much beat Beachhead every time without dying by using the Warthog. That would make a much better weekly challenge so you could split the games up, that I would not mind.

Gruntpocalypse. And it's depressing that this'd make a better weekly that the current one =\

GM Bullfrog said:
I got it in Gruntpocalypse. I usually only play Gruntpocalypse and Sniper Attack.
Ah, a kindred spirit. I accepted an invite to some custom games yesterday right before a game of Sniper Attack started, so I guess that counts as a quit. :-(

Louis Wu

NameGenerated said:
I don't really see how armor lock is broken at all. It's slightly annoying when someone uses it effectively, but there are many times where people use it and it just does nothing but delay their demise.
I vacillate between this and the more common "omg Armor Lock is overpowered!" view, depending on how my last few games went. :lol

I will say, though, that there's hardly anything more satisfying than sticking someone who just used up the last of their armor lock...

As far as Reach being tired - I've played 600 games of it in the past 2 months. I had 5500 Halo 3 games under my belt when Reach came out - that's an average of about 150/month. (It's even worse when you look at Halo 3's launch - I was so busy that at this stage in its lifetime, I'd played fewer than 50 multiplayer games.) There are certainly gametypes that get old (I'm getting tired of Elite Slayer), and there are plenty of small problems that I wish would get fixed... but on the whole, I find time to play every day, and that says something to me.

::shrug::

To each, his own, I guess.

Photolysis said:
I'd love to see a Crater / Windward / Chasm Ten remake. I'm sure the first two could be easily fit in to Reach's setting too.
lol - Crater's already IN Reach! (Well, in the Campaign, anyway - it's just called Club Errera.)

You're right - that could DEFINITELY be released as a Firefight map.

Falt said:
Stuck fingers up at Pinnacle for being well, Pinnacle.
I'm pretty sure the only consistent fun I've had on Pinnacle has been SWAT Magnums. Not sure why - it's a gametype I generally dislike, and it's a MAP I generally dislike, but when they're combined, I have a blast. :lol

Problem with Reach is that no one cares about any of this shit...who cares if you are onyx... you didn't play 5 flag on Midship to get it so it doesn't mean shit.

Where the fuck is Midship? Is this not a Halo Game?

I'll go further...

Where the hell is the greatest neutral assault gametype ever made?

Midship! Better Playlists!

Where the hell is a really good FFA map?

Midship!

Where the hell is a decent Slayer map?

Countdown, Midship!

Screw Reflection that map is a camp noob fest with a trillion powerups and it doesn't reflect any skill...just shit.

Also really really add the no bloom option with a patch... A truely competitive playlist with hitscan and pure aim skill would be the shit. Especially on Midship!

Louis Wu said:
lol - Crater's already IN Reach! (Well, in the Campaign, anyway - it's just called Club Errera.)

You're right - that could DEFINITELY be released as a Firefight map.

It would be much easier to convert the club rather than build a brand new level, but I think the lighting would need to have a significant change. I know I wouldn't be able to stomach fighting wave after wave in there for long with the same lighting as in the campaign.

Falt

xxjuicesxx said:
Problem with Reach is that no one cares about any of this shit...who cares if you are onyx... you didn't play 5 flag on Midship to get it so it doesn't mean shit.

Where the fuck is Midship? Is this not a Halo Game?

I'll go further...

Where the hell is the greatest neutral assault gametype ever made?

Midship! Better Playlists!

Where the hell is a really good FFA map?

Midship!

Where the hell is a decent Slayer map?

Countdown, Midship!

Screw Reflection that map is a camp noob fest with a trillion powerups and it doesn't reflect any skill...just shit.

Also really really add the no bloom option with a patch... A truely competitive playlist with hitscan and pure aim skill would be the shit. Especially on Midship!

All midship and no midship makes midship a midship midship?

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
Didn't work. She had ~28,000 credits before the game, and 30,000 after, since she got some other Challenges, etc. But the b.net one alone should have put her at 31,000 cR. She's linked up to b.net so she should have been good. But it shows as not completed in game and on b.net for her.

Very frustrating, she was disappointed, but we had time for one game before her bedtime. The b.net Challenged didn't work for me the first time it rolled around, and it didn't work this time either. A lot of the Challenges seem broken lately. :\
You get the credits before you even start the game, as soon as it starts searching for players from the lobby.

Whats a Midship?

I dont think midship would work with Reachs gameplay personally, Jetpackers armour lockers etc etc in that small space wouldnt be fun. If they made it specifically for classic mode that would be great, but Bungie arent gonna neglect the armour abilities. :(

Jinjo

Grimm Fandango said:
Does this mean you can play 4 perfect games of Score Attack?

No, it means you need to play 20 perfect games of Score Attack. If only it were waves instead of rounds. That'd make the challenge actually do-able.

bobs99 ... said:
Whats a Midship?

I dont think midship would work with Reachs gameplay personally, Jetpackers armour lockers etc etc in that small space wouldnt be fun. If they made it specifically for classic mode that would be great, but Bungie arent gonna neglect the armour abilities. :(

Meh people said that shit about Halo 3...but it did work. Midship ALWAYS WORKS.

Any fucking game in the world could add Midship and it would work.

Hell I want to play Starcraft on Midship

Okay, THAT challenge is some bullshit. :lol

I'm pretty much with Wu's oppinion on Reach, I'm finding more time to play it every day than I did with H3, though probably not more than H2, since H2 came out when I was in college and had a ton of free time.

I actually enjoy competitive reach way more than competitive H3. I think that's because I really disliked MLG in H3, but I've enjoyed the Reach arena gametypes quite a bit, this season is definitely the best iteration, cept, I'd probably switch out AL for jetpack. Objective modes are also fantastic (cept for WHY THE FUCK IS THE FUCKING DROP SHIELD STILL IN ASSAULT). I love the 4 vs 4 map selection, and I think invasion is the fucking shit.

The one thing that really falls apart is classic BTB IMO, and as others have said, that's basically a function of the maps. Hemorrage is just stalemates in objective, and "Get sniped" in slayer, Invasion maps don't work all that great fot it, and i haven't even seen Paradiso come up.

Have we heard anything about playlist updates for november yet? I'm really hoping they drop Cliffhanger, drop the weighting on Elite slayer, and just fricken remove the drop shield from objective.

Pete Rock

They need to hurry up with the MLG, Grifball & Rocket Race playlists because currently this game is awfully boring with the available selections. BTB sucks, Invasion is a snorefest, the supposed classic 4v4 slayer/objective scenarios are largely neutered by garbage AA offerings, Multiteam is a travesty of either nade/AL spam, and I couldn't care less about Arena but I hear significant complaints about its implementation as well. Not pleasing the casuals or the hardcore, pretty amazing really.

Firefight was fun for a few hours here and there the first month but now it's just AFK boosters and bad connections left and right. I could wade through the insanely lagged games when they occured maybe 25% of the time and only lasted 10 minutes. Now I'm strapped in for 30 if I get a shitty host? Hilarious :lol

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ramirez said:
Nope, not joking. BO is in another universe compared to MW2, that game was a steaming pile.

I'm not even that excited for the map pack, mainly because I hate Invasion and don't really like BTB in Reach. Anchor 9 looks like the biggest gimmick of a map ever known to man with all of the shield doors and zero G fighting. :| The game needs maps like Midship, Beaver Creek, Pit, etc.
I would seriously be all over a giant remake map pack, but I know people don't want Bungie wasting their time on remakes. Heck, get someone else to do them. I'd still buy them.
xxjuicesxx said:
Meh people said that shit about Halo 3...but it did work. Midship ALWAYS WORKS.

Any fucking game in the world could add Midship and it would work.

Hell I want to play Starcraft on Midship
While sniping with an AR across nine Valhalla's?

Falt

Plywood said:
I would seriously be all over a giant remake map pack, but I know people don't want Bungie wasting their time on remakes. Heck, get someone else to do them. I'd still buy them.

This is where I think 343i might step in, a la Certain Affinity. Have 343i even announced they're working on an actual game?

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
You get the credits before you even start the game, as soon as it starts searching for players from the lobby.
We checked how many credits she had as soon as the menu screen came up, before we entered Matchmaking. The Challenge didn't work.

And yeah, that last daily today is clearly meant to be a weekly. I read it three times before grogging on to what it meant. Been some programming glitches this week. Same one with 100 and 150 kill thresholds on the same day, ones that don't work, a weekly as a daily. Whoops!

GhaleonEB said:
We checked how many credits she had as soon as the menu screen came up, before we entered Matchmaking. The Challenge didn't work.

And yeah, that last daily today is clearly meant to be a weekly. I read it three times before grogging on to what it meant. Been some programming glitches this week. Same one with 100 and 150 kill thresholds on the same day, ones that don't work, a weekly as a daily. Whoops!
And people questioned why I thought this game was unpolished at times :/

Still though, I'll be hopping on later.

The challenges are so inconsistent, and lots of people complain about them (I know I do). This seems like a big fuck you by Bungie. Wasn't there a weekly challenge a few weeks ago that said complete 50 rounds of firefight? This 20 perfect rounds shit seems like it should be a weekly. The credit payout does not justify the amount of work put into it.

LosDaddie

Banned
Wow, fuck those challenges :lol I guess Bungie wanted to make up for yesterday's incredibly easy ones.

I think I'll be playing NCAA 11 tonight.

Raide

I wonder when Bungie will talk about any Forge updates? New maps are coming, new playlists as well but Forge is still being suspiciously left out. :lol

Gui_PT

cool_dude_2049 said:
The challenges are so inconsistent, and lots of people complain about them (I know I do). This seems like a big fuck you by Bungie. Wasn't there a weekly challenge a few weeks ago that said complete 50 rounds of firefight? This 20 perfect rounds shit seems like it should be a weekly. The credit payout does not justify the amount of work put into it.

I agree that it should be a weekly, and that the challenges have been rather inconsistent lately. But I'm halfway through and I will earn at least 30k cR for getting this challenge

feel

After waiting for hundreds of games for a huge jackpot that never came, I just got disconnected randomly from a match (it said game complete, got the proper end credits, it showed as everyone else dropping, but I know better...), raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage!!!

So about the daily challenges. Ehm... yeah It should be a weekly challenge or daily challenge for the weekend.(Saturday or sunday). I have no time to play 20firefight games today. I could play normal FF and not Score Attack but it will take time, too.

Btw. I reached Commander yesterday *woot*

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I love Reach but there are some things that make me wonder if it was ever tested. They're slowly getting tweaked and fixed though so that's cool I guess.

barney_stinson.jpg

Challenge accepted!

Striker

Tashi0106 said:
I love Reach but there are some things that make me wonder if it was ever tested. They're slowly getting tweaked and fixed though so that's cool I guess.
Halo 1 was bugged, Halo 2 was bugged up the ass but still my most favorite online MP game, Halo 3 was probably the least bugged off the three, but still became my least enjoyable for single player and MP. I haven't had many issues with any problems really. They could make Arena more like Slayer Pro in how it originally was, no radar with DMR/Needle Rifle start. Put something in the code so people don't boost Firefight where they're idle for 25 mins., stop adding Cliffhanger when they can add better maps, etc.

Basically, I love the gameplay. It's really the behind the scenes stuff that needs adjusted.

Teknoman said:
I'm just glad Reach isnt a 1-2 weapon game. Halo 3 seemed like it was just BR wars for awhile.
Halo 2 was the same way, except at least then players could dual wield. The AR in 3 was just a steaming pile of trash. Reach has tons of guns that can work.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Oh I didn't mean tested in the sense that the game is buggy because I haven't come across anything really. I mean testing for design purposes.

MrBig

Kuroyume said:
Have they talked about another update to the game? Firefight Vs. still needs to go up.
November update is already out, so I'd hope its going to be next month since they were talking about having in October.

MrBig said:
November update is already out, so I'd hope its going to be next month since they were talking about having in October.

I think the likelihood of a mid-November update is moderately high, some of the stuff they said about the early Nov. update made it sound like it was just a quick stopgap for Arena, but more was coming.

That's how they did October, at least.

Zel3

I sometimes wonder how much play testing goes into these playlists.

Playing CTF on Zealot with the other team using nothing but Drop Shields has to be one of the worst Reach experiences I've had so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom