• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

How do I make my forge world map compatible with gametypes besides Slayer? I've added six hills and a flag holder/return for red and blue bases. That didn't work, so I went into advanced options and tagged the flag stuff "CTF" and the hills "KOTH." Still not compatible. Anyone else know?

Also, if anyone would like to test it for Slayer (I've heard of a thing called GAF customs; is that a possibility?) please let me know.

Crunched said:
How do I make my forge world map compatible with gametypes besides Slayer? I've added six hills and a flag holder/return for red and blue bases. That didn't work, so I went into advanced options and tagged the flag stuff "CTF" and the hills "KOTH." Still not compatible. Anyone else know?

Also, if anyone would like to test it for Slayer (I've heard of a thing called GAF customs; is that a possibility?) please let me know.

I know for CTF that the holder and the flag have to be marked with different tags; if you scroll through the tag list, one should obviously be a "return" tag and one as a "flag" tag. Also, make sure that the teams are set properly for each object.

Thagomizer said:
Star Wars? Really :lol

The Forerunner structures have been known to have been on Reach since, literally, 2001. There is no explanation because the characters in the universe have no idea what the hell the Reach structures were for.
2001? Is it even mentioned in Halo 1? We can't all be expected to read the expanded universe shit just to understand the main plotline! Forerunner structures on Reach is far too big of a deal to leave unexplained to 99.99% of it's audience.

Plus, Bungie decided to take a shit on the expanded universe with this game anyway with all the retcons.

Hugbot

Crunched said:

Forge Required Items Guide should help you out.

Sill4

The Lamonster said:
My point is, watch Star Wars or some other sci-fi with good storytelling, and you're not left with all these little unexplained questions and huge plot holes. Shit like Forerunner structures on Reach without any explanation = retarded as hell. That's a huge deal and no one explains it at all, ever.
I agree, but I've come to realize that most non-rpggames, especially halo games, only give you a miniscule amount of story,and that the realmeat is in supplementary stuff.

I'm not defending Bungie's oversights; I have plenty of qualms about Halo 3's story in particular :D

-fake edit- I went on and on about howBungie wasgoing to reveal playable Brutes before Reach launched. I now bear the mark of shame.

I thought that one of the reasons they keep making brutes smaller and more humanoid was to stuff them into multiplayer. They could have traits like Spartan speed, health regen, and very strong melee.

Brute exclusive AA could be some sort of berserk.

-real edit- my space bar is messed up

Sai-kun said:
Today, one of my professors was talking to us about well-designed games, and he went to...guess what website to show us what game? :D

http://web24.twitpic.com/img/170293274-a07932e7dcefcafc3150d1e155470993.4ca4ec40-full.jpg[/mg][/QUOTE]
Is he a halo-nerd? I guess you open this site, because you couldnt find any halo releated stuff on his pc. Then nerdrage and you have to see sth. halo-related stuff to calm down. But this is only a theory.

Sill4 said:
I agree, but I've come to realize that most non-rpggames, especially halo games, only give you a miniscule amount of story,and that the realmeat is in supplementary stuff.

I'm not defending Bungie's oversights; I have plenty of qualms about Halo 3's story in particular :D

-fake edit- I went on and on about howBungie wasgoing to reveal playable Brutes before Reach launched. I now bear the mark of shame.

I thought that one of the reasons they keep making brutes smaller and more humanoid was to stuff them into multiplayer. They could have traits like Spartan speed, health regen, and very strong melee.

Brute exclusive AA could be some sort of berserk.

-real edit- my space bar is messed up
That's exactly what I'm saying. It's a bad idea. They didn't do it in Halo 1 and the storytelling was amazing in that game, especially the Cortana exposition during gameplay. Of course, in the following games she leaves and is kidnapped blah blah blah...nothing from Bungie story guys will ever top Halo 1.

Half way or two-thirds through the last mission on Legendary. Hasn't been too terrible, but...

I'm at a part where three of those white covenant douches are blocking the exit (I tried being
a coward and sprinting past them) and they kill me everytime without fail.

I'm using the BR and Needler Rifle and get a ton of good shots in on them but they bounce about like retarded wallabies and they have the harden shields so I don't know how to kill them. I have 3 grenades, but yeah. The only nearby weapons are the plasma pistols and the AR.

Any tips?

I'm sure I'll play better after my break though.

MrBig

Buckethead said:
Half way or two-thirds through the last mission on Legendary. Hasn't been too terrible, but...

I'm at a part where three of those white covenant douches are blocking the exit (I tried being

I'm using the BR and Needler Rifle and get a ton of good shots in on them but they bounce about like retarded wallabies and they have the harden shields so I don't know how to kill them. I have 3 grenades, but yeah. The only nearby weapons are the plasma pistols and the AR.

Any tips?

Grab the plasma pistol to take out their shields and one shot them with the dmr or nerfle

Sordid said:
After posting in the old thread about someone on my friends list losing his Legendary campaign progress I did my Legendary run offline. I didn't realise 'till near the end that I wasn't getting any commendations though, I got a whopping 60 cR per mission :lol

Captain seems so far away :*(

So that is to say if you've done if offline, do it again to get more credits? I've done most of mine offline and it doesn't show up on Bungie.net =/

Buckethead said:

Any tips?

That's your best friend on Legendary. Hold him close.

Sill4

The Lamonster said:
That's exactly what I'm saying. It's a bad idea. They didn't do it in Halo 1 and the storytelling was amazing in that game, especially the Cortana exposition during gameplay. Of course, in the following games she leaves and is kidnapped blah blah blah...nothing from Bungie story guys will ever top Halo 1.
I don't think it's a bad idea. Most people who play the games don't even care about the story. I think that giving players a bite of it during the game (WITH amazing gameplay) and then offering a vast universe in supplementary media for those who want to actively dwelve deeper into the lore is a godsend for nerds like me.

And honeslty, I'm going to have to call rose tinted glasses on you with CE, man. The major appeal of that game was actually how LIMITED the story was. You got that sense of "WTF is this shit, where am I, omg monsters!" because you had so little information on yourself (chief and the UNSC at large), your surroundings (halo), and your crazy alien enemies.

Now you go and read FoR, and some of this mysterious veil is lifted. You go into the game knowing about the UNSC and knowing partially bout the Covenants reasons for killing humanity.

I actually wish that ALL of the Halo games had been this limited, and that the convoluted story from Halo 2 had been told by other means.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Just had a firefight match where a phantom came to drop guys off and it just stood there for a good 20 seconds with no enemies inside :lol

After that it just disappeared...

The Lamonster said:

There are tons and tons and TONS of unexplained questions, plot holes, and general stupidity for the sake of moving the plot along in Halo 1, mostly because it is so bare-bones. The later games filled in a lot of those cracks, but there was a lot of "WTF?" in Halo 1.

Buckethead said:

Any tips?

That was the worst spot of the entire game when I did it. I eventually just had to rush one with a shotgun and run back to safety as fast as I could. The AI in that part is worthless to put it kindly.

MrBig said:
Grab the plasma pistol to take out their shields and one shot them with the dmr or nerfle
This is always a good plan, plasma pistol for shields + DMR/magnum round to the head is usually a winning combination.

Can anyone explain the Campaign scoring to me. I was playing solo Legendary and ranking up pretty good. I played the next level (Exodus) and had a really high score. When the level ended I only got +60 CR tagged on. I started playing the package and the same thing is going on. I am not getting credit at levels end.

jhferry said:
Can anyone explain the Campaign scoring to me. I was playing solo Legendary and ranking up pretty good. I played the next level (Exodus) and had a really high score. When the level ended I only got +60 CR tagged on. I started playing the package and the same thing is going on. I am not getting credit at levels end.
Score does not translate to credits at all.

What does is completion and challenges earned.

Sucks I know. It's really kind of confusing.

Chorazin

jhferry said:

Unless you have scoring on you won't see the credit between missions, if that's what you mean. It's still added to your total.

ManCannon

zero margin said:
That was the worst spot of the entire game when I did it. I eventually just had to rush one with a shotgun and run back to safety as fast as I could. The AI in that part is worthless to put it kindly.

that's the smelting room where you have a few Marines fighting with you and stuff?
I actually grabbed the shotgun and ran downstairs - creeped up on them from below, near the ramps, and killed them all up close with the shotty and/or a plasma grenade. They generally were busy and distracted fighting my Marine buddies. I had no luck trying to kill them from afar (once in a while I may get lucky and get Needles into one but then they'd just focus fire on me and I'd be screwed).

MrBig said:
Yeah I was using it but it was tough to get a good shot and then kill 'em with the other two bouncing around.

Oh well thanks for the tips everyone.
I'll get it.

Also guy above me, they changed "Bulletproof" to 1 round from an unachievable 3 rounds.

Magni

jhferry said:

You're playing offline, no? Otherwise you should get more than 60cR just from Commendations alone. And as already said, Points != cR.

off topic
since I know you guys are helpful and I need help =)
/off topic

Fixed

The Lamonster said:
Reach storytelling was very good?

Why did all the Spartans have different accents? Were there other Spartans on Reach besides Noble team? Why the hell was Halsey behind a glass wall in that scene? Why did they run out of nukes? Why is Forerunner shit on that planet?????

I have no fucking idea about any of these questions. You guys can answer them for me if you want but my point is that once again, Bungie did a terrible job conveying everything they needed to convey story-wise.

Unfortunately, gameplay in Reach isn't much better :lol
You have this "character driven" story where you know nothing about any of the characters. As Noble6 you fill the shoes of a spartan who died, but he may as well have not existed. We never know who the previous spartan was, how he died, or what he meant to the rest of the group. So it's hard to care that I'm replacing him. We don't know anything about noble 6 or his background, either, and we don't know anything personal about the rest of the noble team. The closest thing we get is when Jorge calls Halsey, mom. But we don't know why they have this apparent closer relationship.

So, I just re-watched one of the vidocs.

"we want to add new things, but we don't want to rough up anybody's baby."
pro tip: leave bloom out. If it's not broken don't fix it. Can you even imagine what bloom would have done to Halo:CE and Halo2?
"we don't ever want to create one super weapon that works in all cases because that tends to make the game fairly dull
- He just single handedly dismissed one of the things that made Halo:CE so awesome in matchmaking and campaign.:lol Many people, including a lot on this forum would consider the pistol from Halo:CE a super weapon. So shit, Halo:CE was dull? Did the developers even play Halo;CE?

So... (plasma launcher, sword, hammer, rocket launcher, sniper rifle, shotgun, grenade launcher, spartan laser, concussion rifle)
... this is how you balance out the weapons? Flood the game with power weapons, while making the lesser weapons less powerful? This is one of my bigger gripes with Reach. I can't compete with everyone running around with power weapons when my "should-be" decent starting weapons suck. And then combining that with bloom AND armor abilites such as armor lock and sprint just multiply the problem exponentially.

"the arena is a really awesome evolution for people who want to play really competitive multiplayer"
Halo has ALWAYS been a competitive game (wtf is going on people?), but I can't be competitive with bloom gimping my every shot. I dont want a game telling me how fast I have to fire a gun to be accurate, and no competitive game should EVER gimp/handicap the player's skill, especially the 4th installment of a game that thrives on precision, accuracy, and quick shots. This is the biggest game ruiner of Reach for me. GAME RUINED!!

What are Halo's 3 golden rules?
Grenades? Broken and unreliable. I suspect the shield mechanics have a big part in this.
Melee? Broken and unreliable. The shield mechanics DEFINITELY have a big part in this.
Weapons? Completely unbalanced and further ruined by bloom

Sill4 said:
I'm not saying Bungie's storytelling is flawless, but this is a pretty half assed post to try and discredit them.

Different accents? they are from different solar systems, brah. Forerunner shit has been confirmed on Reach since First Strike came out. The other stuff is pretty much irrelevant to the story. I mean, why the fuck are moa on Reach?

Sorry if I sound aggressive, not trying to be.
No matter how you cut it, a great story is delivered by the characters, and the audience's ability to identify and struggle with the main characters story arc.

The characters in all of the Halo games have awesome stories, and epic story arcs that happen outside of the games. In the games, the characters feel shallow, emotionless, and hard to even feel remorse for. They feel like static objects just sitting there - and I'm talking about cutscenes and pre-planned dialogue.

Hell, General Knoxx in Borderlands has a better character arc and his is only audio - you actually felt bad for killing him. MW2 - the dialogue between Soap and the main bad guy was intense at the end, and made me feel like I wanted to take down the corrupt general.

Halo has great characters -
  • Arbiter
  • the Chief
  • Cortana
  • Miranda Keyes
  • Jacob Keyes
  • Halsey
  • Johnson
All of these characters are 3-dimensional and have depth, but the video games don't lead you to believe this. Only fragments from text in-game or from the EU will give you that depth and leaves you feeling voided when you play a game.

My own wife doesn't understand Halo when she's playing unless I explain it for a half an hour. How's that for story telling? I watch District 9 and I feel something for the characters' story arcs. Noble 6? Carter? Emile? Who?

Granted I'm comparing film to games, but the audience doesn't feel anything for Noble team's sacrifice, and they should.. I only really said 'wow' in-game to the visuals or seeing something I had only read about show up in the game. Not a 'wow' to what was happening, or even a tinge of emotion. They need to get pixar up in here for the next 343 game. I'm sorry.

/rant.

Edit: Another point to fuel the fire: Lost: Series finale. They never answered some of the biggest questions about the Island/events that happened, but in the end the entire show was well received. Why? Because the characters all completed their story arcs, everyone had accomplished something and you felt something for these people. Some of them new characters, some of them old. Reach didn't do that and I've been playing Halo longer.

Deputy Moonman said:
You have this "character driven" story where you know nothing about any of the characters. As Noble6 you fill the shoes of a spartan who died, but he may as well have not existed. We never know who the previous spartan was, how he died, or what he meant to the rest of the group. So it's hard to care that I'm replacing him. We don't know anything about noble 6 or his background, either, and we don't know anything personal about the rest of the noble team. The closest thing we get is when Jorge calls Halsey, mom. But we don't know why they have this apparent closer relationship.
Personally I'd rather have a story that leaves stuff to the imagination. Not everything has to be "THIS IS WHO YOU ARE AND WHY YOU FEEL THIS WAY ABOUT THIS THING, AND THAT PERSON" in your face kind of exposition. Just my two cents. Since video game stories are horrible most of the time, I'd say less is more in almost every instance.

Hugbot

Deputy Moonman said:
The closest thing we get is when Jorge calls Halsey, mom.
Didn't we confirm via subtitles that he says "Ma'am" with a terrible accent?

Anyway the rest of your post is just rage so maybe just stop playing? Sorry you don't like bloom, buddy.

panda21

get home and think hey lets some halo this evening :)

big team battle and i get:
team snipers (the first fucking game.. everyone but 3 people on my team quit, match lasts a good 15 minutes, ends on 75-26 or something)
team swat
btb classic on countdown
team swat

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Major Williams said:
Hell, General Knoxx in Borderlands has a better character arc and his is only audio - you actually felt bad for killing him. MW2 - the dialogue between Soap and the main bad guy was intense at the end, and made me feel like I wanted to take down the corrupt general.
Funny both those instances are games with incredibly dumb and irritating stories to me (I liked the mainline Borderlands game, actually, but that General Knoxx was really annoying and unfunny). And MW2, give me a break.

Well anyway now that I know what your examples of good storytelling in games are, I know I can completely disregard your opinion on the matter.

Neuromancer said:
Funny both those instances are games with incredibly dumb and irritating stories to me (I liked the mainline Borderlands game, actually, but that General Knoxx was really annoying and unfunny). And MW2, give me a break.

Well anyway now that I know what your examples of better than Halo games storytelling in games are, I know I can completely disregard your opinion on the matter.
Nah, those aren't good by any means - but they're better than the lack of emotion we feel for Noble team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom