• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugbot

Vigilant Walrus said:
what are the chances of more campaign?
Zilch.

Also, I think
GDJustin said:
My DLC prediction:

1 new vehicle-centric Firefight map
2 new Invasion / Big Team maps
1 new smaller MP map
1 Remade MP map (fucking Zanzibar pls!)
is dead on, except maybe switch an Invasion over to general MP map.

LAUGHTREY said:
Honestly the only thing I see them doing is making a smaller area so there can be more item budget with more items.

But the geometry pieces are so detailed you can make any shape you want within reason on Forge World now.

And really, Snow map? Another map on Halo? Are these really the things you base your purchases on?
Yep. The Reach environments feel dull. This is a Halo game afterall, and I want a big ass ring in the sky, dammit.

(and more beautiful vistas)

Magni

^ I'd guessed we'd get Halo: Reach: Blue Team, on March 13th 2012; we'll see whose right :lol

Shake Appeal said:

You guys pronounce "ma'am" "mom" and "mom" "mum". You guys are weird :p

I heard "mom" but read "ma'am" while playing that part, was pretty jarring, as Carter IIRC had pronounced "ma'am" correctly just before.

TheOddOne

MagniHarvald said:
You guys pronounce "ma'am" "mom" and "mom" "mum". You guys are weird :p

I heard "mom" but read "ma'am" while playing that part, was pretty jarring, as Carter IIRC had pronounced "ma'am" correctly just before.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
We're missing Halo Reach: Greatest hits mixtape with Hang 'em High, Prisoner, Derelict, Battle Creek, Wizard/Warlock, Lockout, Midship, Pit and Valhalla. I'd pay 60 for those maps in a pack.

Sill4 said:
Not everybody relies on characters to enjoy a story, and I hate so much when I read reviews, from media or people on forums, that totally glaze over an amazing background and atmosphere and focus on characters. Maybe it's the artist in me, or maybe I'm just an uncultured heathen.
Edit: didn't mean to sound to harsh.

Background and atmosphere give framework to a story. They are not the story being told - they are a huge part, yes, but they are not the story.

Here's a sample story -

It was me and Frankie. We walked into Safeway and there were some bitches who were fiiiine. We never really cared about talkin' to grocery store hoes, but we had to. So we did, got their numbers and they never called back.

Atmosphere - bald thugs in Safeway
Background - Never really talked to grocery store hoes.
Story - 2 guys talked to girls, got their number, never called back.

They are separate but all tied together.

feel

Firefight is fine as it is for now, and they should forget Invasion exists (ok, at least for now too).

I'd want:
3 medium size maps
2 properly crafted BTB maps (if possible one of them a Valhalla remake with a total new look, ala Reflection)

Would pay 1200pts

Wizman23

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
Any bets on DLC content? $15 is a given, pretty much, but as far as maps I'm going to guess...

- 1 New Firefight Map
- 2 Forge World Multiplayer Maps
- 2 "New" Maps
How about just making some of the current firefight maps competitive maps?? I still think Overlook with a few changes would be a kick ass BTB map and I'm sure minor changes to FF maps to ready them for competitive play would be a hell of a lot easier then making brand spanking new maps.

Sill4

Major Williams said:

Background and atmosphere give framework to a story. They are not the story being told - they are a huge part, yes, but they are not the story.
You don't sound harsh, man, I cherish civil conversation, especially on gaf :D

I honestly think the same way about characters. Imo, it's the plot that is essential to a story. I mean, in ancient times stories wereoften devoid of character development. When Beowulf battled Grendel's mother, did people find no entertainment in the story due to Beowulf not having his life story told prior to the battle?

May not be the best example, but Ithink it still works.

Popeck

Lt. Colonel & Mark V YEAAAAAAH!
DAWGYlennys.jpg

DAWGYlennys1.jpg

Victrix

*beard*
Major Williams said:

Dear Bungie: Your story problems have been solved. Please implement.

Victrix said:
Dear Bungie: Your story problems have been solved. Please implement.
Yes. Safeway Hoes.

It was an analogy to highlight different aspects of storytelling. It has no bearing on Reach's story whatsoever, more just to clarify what Sill4 was talking about.

Raide

spermatic cord said:
if they package any forge world maps into paid dlc i'm blowing up bungie

I think Bungie knew really early on that it would be the Community that would make the best ForgeWorld maps. Bungie just need to keep adding things that let the Community keep on making awesome.

Gui_PT

Major Williams said:
It was me and Frankie. We walked into Safeway and there were some bitches who were fiiiine. We never really cared about talkin' to grocery store hoes, but we had to. So we did, got their numbers and they never called back.

Halo 4 plot right here people.

panda21

i think a lot of what i would like from DLC could be fixed by changing the playlists/voting somehow

i mean apparently there are 4 maps for invasion but i've only ever seen spire and boneyard even appear in the voting, and its almost always spire.

apart from that just more big team battle maps and valhalla please. oh and maybe sandtrap including elephants if such things exist in reach, and added falcons.

infact just add falcons to everything. sniper, with falcons. swat, in falcons with the guns taken out.

Veelk

Banned
Major Williams said:

Here's a sample story -

That's not the story, that's the plot. The story is a combination of all everything that tells the narrative. If the story had gone into greater depth about why you never talked to grocery store hoes and the motivation for why further contact was never established, that would have been a character driven story. If you had gone into the notions of why grocery hoes are bad, it would have been a commentary on modern culture, thus a story setting driven story.

In my personal opinion, you need a little bit of everything to make a story work, but the emphasis doesn't necessarily have to be on characters.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Metalic Sand said:
Way too similar to zealot, No thanks.

Im with zanzibar coming back. Perfect objective map.

But a million times better. :D

Zanzibar is pretty fun but played it too much in H2 and 3. Midhsip was barely played in H3 Mythic, I missed it. :(

Striker

Kuroyume said:
I don't think Firefight needs any more new maps. Honestly, when I play Firefight it doesn't feel like I'm using the maps. Just pop out of a corner blew shit up and then run back to let health recharge.
Yeah, I've hardly played on half the maps. One in particular hasn't even showed up, probably due to location spoilers. Beachhead, while my favorite, can last quite a while. The only people I think that should be hoping for Firefight maps are die-hard FF fans, not ones who want new landscapes to look at while playing Gruntpocalypse twenty times a day.

If we EVER get another Forge-World-esqe map, my desired locations would be:

- Covenant themed, with parts that can be in a ship (Coliseum), forest themed (think Truth & Reconciliation), and of course a wide open area for larger scales.
- Desert themed, think Halo 2's Burial Mounds and Reach's FF map, Outpost.
- Urban/Metropolis themed, think Turf, Headlong, Longshore (so-so map, but I liked some of its design).
- Snowfall themed, mostly featuring areas similar to the current Forge World, but built using grey-light blue looking structures (think highly of Halo 2's Lockout and Containment); true remakes of Sidewinder and Lockout can be remade.

Of course, they need to add a new Big Team map pronto. Hemorrhage and Paradiso are nice, but neither are great asymmetrical, 1-side maps. Also would love new map that's 4v4 symmetrical, or if there's another remake -- please, for the love of God, remake Beaver Creek. :)

TheOddOne

Striker said:
Yeah, I've hardly played on half the maps. One in particular hasn't even showed up, probably due to location spoilers. Beachhead, while my favorite, can last quite a while. The only people I think that should be hoping for Firefight maps are die-hard FF fans, not ones who want new landscapes to look at while playing Gruntpocalypse twenty times a day.

If we EVER get another Forge-World-esqe map, my desired locations would be:

- Covenant themed, with parts that can be in a ship (Coliseum), forest themed (think Truth & Reconciliation), and of course a wide open area for larger scales.
- Desert themed, think Halo 2's Burial Mounds and Reach's FF map, Outpost.
- Urban/Metropolis themed, think Turf, Headlong, Longshore (so-so map, but I liked some of its design).
- Snowfall themed, mostly featuring areas similar to the current Forge World, but built using grey-light blue looking structures (think highly of Halo 2's Lockout and Containment); true remakes of Sidewinder and Lockout can be remade.

Of course, they need to add a new Big Team map pronto. Hemorrhage and Paradiso are nice, but neither are great asymmetrical, 1-side maps. Also would love new map that's 4v4 symmetrical, or if there's another remake -- please, for the love of God, remake Beaver Creek. :)
Bungie listen to this man.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Metalic Sand said:

The only thing similar is the décor. Midship in Halo 2/3 plays so much better than Zealot.

And Zanibar? Really? I've had enough Last Resort to do me a lifetime.

Bring back The Pit and Valhalla and save us all.

This is going to sound very stupid, but is there a good non-online multiplayer mode to get credits fast? I have tried almost all firefight scenarios. I have gotten challenges here and there. But almost always only receive 50c for my work. (Except challenges).

Any other methods?

For DLC I'm hoping for 5 maps.

One all new Invasion map.
One BTB map, preferably a Waterworks or Headlong remake.
One medium sized map like Last Resort or Burial Mounds(not a remake of those but a similar sized map).
2 small Guardian/Lockout sized maps.

Generic said:
That's not the story, that's the plot. The story is a combination of all everything that tells the narrative. If the story had gone into greater depth about why you never talked to grocery store hoes and the motivation for why further contact was never established, that would have been a character driven story. If you had gone into the notions of why grocery hoes are bad, it would have been a commentary on modern culture, thus a story setting driven story.

In my personal opinion, you need a little bit of everything to make a story work, but the emphasis doesn't necessarily have to be on characters.
I agree with you! :D

It was a poor illustration that really was hastily made to get a laugh. As we talked about in PMs though, I'll play through campaign a few times more and get you a detailed reply why I think the story telling falls short, and how it could have been possibly improved. It won't be for a bit though.

Achievement Unlocked: Make It Rain.

I have played this game too much.

Oh man, it is taunting me with Commando helmet and shoulder pads. :(

They are all I have wanted since day one.

Can someone point me to a post on here that a Bungie employee made saying that there will be an MLG playlist? A guy in a chat room wants "proof".

I mean, it has been widely said by Bungie that there WILL be one.

Sheesh.

Man, the Arena is so fucked up.

More than any other Halo, the mechanics in Reach reward teams that play well together. There's simply no way for a player to defend themselves effectively against a coordinated teamshot when they have to slow down their firing speed for the sake of accuracy.

But the Arena says 'fuck that' and rewards players for individual efforts. Winning doesnt give enough of a bonus and assists are broken, so there's no benefit to being a team player. Every encounter is a race against your own teammates for the kill shot.

I get that they want to reward players on the losing team for playing well in a losing effort, but I think the bonus for winning needs to be higher. Plus, obviously, the assist system needs to be UNFUCKED.

Remakes I would like: Lockout, The Pit, Standoff, Valhalla, Heretic, Citadel.

But really, new maps please. Symmetrical 4v4 maps, and one good BTB map (Valhalla remake?).

Valhalla remake with Reach scenery would be so beautiful. Winter Contingency style setting.

Shake Appeal said:
Remakes I would like: Lockout, The Pit, Standoff, Valhalla, Heretic, Citadel.

But really, new maps please. Symmetrical 4v4 maps, and one good BTB map (Valhalla remake?).

Dax01 said:
Zanzibar was a terrible map.

Bring back Valhalla. Enough of this Hemorrhage stuff.

I love you both, so very very much.

Even if you don't like Zanzibar, which is honestly nuts to me.

My picks:

Valhalla
Last Resort
Headlong
Containment
Terminal
Relic
Uplift

What can I say, I'm a BTB and Invasion whore. I want more big maps. :D

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Metalic Sand said:

:lol :lol :lol

Have you played either maps? That statement makes me think you haven't.

Dax01 said:
Zanzibar was a terrible map.

Bring back Valhalla. Enough of this Hemorrhage stuff.
Agree 100% with the bolded. Hemorrhage SWAT, snipers and invasion sucks. A lot.

And if you have a Lockout remake, none of this 're-imagined' stuff either please. Blackout was the red-headed step child of what could have been awesome. Ivory tower remake is more along the lines of which I'd like to see it done.

Sill4

Generic said:

Again,this is what my point has been. Lamonster's gripes with things like Halsey behind glass during a cutscene and Spartans having different accents area bout as irrelevant to the story as seeing the skeleton of a Krait dragon on Tattoine during A New Hope or asking "Why is Darth Vader all mechanical, nobody explained it omg bad story".

The character interaction in the SW prequels,especially between Anakin and Padme was pretty subpar, but I still love those movies because of
a) the settings and the anal retentive way that the film makers attempt to give each environment a purpose, as if it's a real place. This alone immerses me into a story far more effectively than some character droning on about his feelings so we can "care about him".
b)the social commentary. You take away the sci-fi setting, and the prequels areso close to actual history that it's almost disturbing. One man manipulating entire bodies of government? check. Meaningless wars engineered to accomplish sinister means? check. Men and women who are held on a pedestool as heros when in fact their organization is so corrupt and arrogant that they are littlemore than puppets being controlled by shadowy behind the scenes tricksters? check.

There's more, but my point should be clear. I can get all of this information without in depth character reviews.

zumphry

Banned
Hmm, Firefight challenges today?

Come here Grunties
emot-unsmigghh.gif

Anyway,

Tanks a Tank, Lightbulb: -All Credits Cr

Get killed 30 times in the same Scarves Custom Game match while trying to get into the Tanks.

Awesomeness Would've Ensued: 0 Cr
Lag out into your own matchmaking game by yourself when playing Invasion or Big Team Battle, with your previous matchmaking party winning by over 20 points.

Spazeroids R Us: 300 Cr
Die to the first Grunt in the epilogue mission on Easy.

Yoink, bitch!: 7777 Cr

Get killed and have any weapon you have taken from you while being called a bitch by a Jetpacking teammate called Sai_kun in any Team oriented playlist.

Go ly dwn: 10,000 Cr
Yoink, bitch! required. Boot Sai_kun and have him get a temporary ban from matchmaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom