• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

I just played some AC4 on my vita during my lunch break at work. I am seriously astonished. Everyone at my studio was trying to wrap their heads around what I meant when I was explaining it to them. lol. I figured it would just work on LAN.

Definitely noticed input lag but that is all to be expected. AC isn't the sort of game where you need twitch like reflexes. The image quality was awesome too.

Tested my Vita at work today:

~7 miles from my house.

I have FIOS Quantum at home with their Wireless N Gigabit router and get about 80-100 down and 30-50 up depending on the test. Router has uPnP enabled by default. So didn't change anything from the default.

Played over visitor wifi at work. The closest access point is down the hallway but my signal on the vita gives me two bars. Speed test from here (using iphone on same network) was above 10 down. Couldnt get any speed tests to work on the Vita browser. I also disabled the wifi network power saving option on the vita (thanks GAF!)

It took quite a while to connect, but this was the first time connecting over the internet. It worked amazingly well. I played NFS and Resogun and they were very fun and playable. COD worked too. The latency and screen quality were amazing. This is truly next gen. Because this works so well I have decided to go fully digital for all my games going forward on PS4. Ironically Ill stay disc based for my XboxOne. Its yet another reason to buy all my multiplatform games on PS4 though. I am so excited right now. Cant wait to try this at my parents house where I spend alot of time.

This is a game changer!! Sounds like as long as you have great connection, it works really well. Awesome.

Waiting for PS4+Vita bundle...do it Sony!!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I just played some AC4 on my vita during my lunch break at work. I am seriously astonished. Everyone at my studio was trying to wrap their heads around what I meant when I was explaining it to them. lol. I figured it would just work on LAN.

Definitely noticed input lag but that is all to be expected. AC isn't the sort of game where you need twitch like reflexes. The image quality was awesome too.

This is what makes RP an amazing feature. To do this in your house is one thing. To do it in another part of the world is another.

DBT85

Waiting for PS4+Vita bundle...do it Sony!!

Not seeing it happen just yet tbh. They need to buy software not hardware. Selling two bits of hardware bundled together at likely a loss to make it attractive benefits them in no way.

Even more so considering the Vita is having some crazy sales in some places right now like that £140 one the other day.

BigDug13

I don't get it..for optimal signal strength shouldn't both channels be the same? (3,3) where as he has 6 and 3?

I think he was trying to get the Vita to PS4 direct connection over wireless to not interfere with the household wireless router and general network communications by forcing them both into different channels.

Not that he was using his router as part of his communications with his PS4 for remote play locally.

Not seeing it happen just yet tbh. They need to buy software not hardware. Selling two bits of hardware bundled together at likely a loss to make it attractive benefits them in no way.

Even more so considering the Vita is having some crazy sales in some places right now like that £140 one the other day.

well I am hoping :) .. but if not, I'll buy both anyways

So what's the farthest anyone's tried RP away from their PS4's?

I've heard a couple of times it said that the most probably areas are the first and last mile of internet connectivity so would be interested how far away it might be passable

Aiii

So not worth it
So what's the farthest anyone's tried RP away from their PS4's?

I've heard a couple of times it said that the most probably areas are the first and last mile of internet connectivity so would be interested how far away it might be passable

Distance plays no factor at all, it's the internet. Your upload at home and download at your remote location are what matters. You can have real shitty Remote Play 1 mile from home and real good Remote Play 100 miles away.

plainr_

Both Vita and PS4 needs to have same account for RP to work. VitaTV for now works only with JP account. As for logging in JP account on PS4, it should work even though japanese PSN store is still not up and running. Maybe.

That's a bummer. I don't care about about trophies so maybe I can live with this limitation for now.

Can anyone that has it working over the internet try the following test for me when they're at home?

Turn off direct connect. Power on PS4. Disconnect the network cable. Start remote play on Vita, wait until it starts trying to connect via internet, reconnect network cable. Report if it connects or not.

I can't connect doing that, but I don't know if that's normal or not. I had upnp enabled and I tried to connect from work today (on the same connection I was previously able to connect to my PS3 via). all equipment hasn't changed.

I was trying to test out if manually setting up the port forwarding solved my problem. I don't know right now if my test is valid or not. I can't figure out why else it wouldn't be working. I've activated my PS4 as my primary PS4, etc etc,.

Just tried it at home. My internet connection is crap so I was shocked at how well it worked. Wasn't getting above 30fps much on Knack but it was still playable. Going out of town on Saturday and I'm gonna try it then.

DieH@rd

Banned
I have 10Mb/s up. What kind of experience can I expect outside of my local network?

You have more than enough upload. Experience will be impacted by the internet infrastructure and quality of the WiFi router at your location. All in all, at sub 50km it will work fine.

Tried out remote play for the first time yesterday.

Fucking game changer. Direct connect was next to perfect, and I just tried it halfway across the country and it still worked well. There was noticeable lag but Assassin's Creed 4 was more than playable. Image quality was great too. People need to get on this, this isn't a gimmick. And sony needs to advertise this feature too.

zreese

Neo Member
I've been having terrible luck with this. My PS4 consistently freezes when I try to initiate remote play from standby mode. No video output, power button doesn't work, controllers won't connect... I have to unplug the console. Remote play while the console is on doesn't connect consistently, and often drops after a few minutes. When it does connect, the image is so heavy with artifacts that it's impossible to read any text (I'm testing it with NFS Rivals). I've followed all the tips in this thread and they don't seem to make a difference, so I'm not sure what the deal is. This is all with direct remote play, too.

I've been having terrible luck with this. My PS4 consistently freezes when I try to initiate remote play from standby mode. No video output, power button doesn't work, controllers won't connect... I have to unplug the console. Remote play while the console is on doesn't connect consistently, and often drops after a few minutes. When it does connect, the image is so heavy with artifacts that it's impossible to read any text (I'm testing it with NFS Rivals). I've followed all the tips in this thread and they don't seem to make a difference, so I'm not sure what the deal is. This is all with direct remote play, too.

Looks like your consoles fucked...I don't get it. Seems you got software/OS problem. Maybe reboot the system in safe mode, factory restore, and redownload the 1.50 patch. I'm not sure.

DieH@rd

Banned

Fucking game changer. Direct connect was next to perfect, and I just tried it halfway across the country and it still worked well. There was noticeable lag but Assassin's Creed 4 was more than playable. Image quality was great too. People need to get on this, this isn't a gimmick. And sony needs to advertise this feature too.

Distance pls?

StaSeb

How much impact has the emulation of L2,R2,L3,R3-buttons via the back-touchpad have on the overall feel of gaming. I am very interested in the impressions on how the different titles feel on vita. I reckon, knack will be exactly the same. But AC4 is a bit more complex. I imagine sea fights to be quite a hassle with the touch-implementation.

Thanks in advance!

melman101

I'm having serious problems with my FiOS router and Remote Play over Internet. I put it in the DMZ, still no good.

Any advice? Thinking about putting the firewall on the router to low. Any suggestions on why I should or shouldn't do that?

Geengrenzuh

Neo Member
Great reading all your impressions. Makes the euro-wait a bit more bearable.. (only slightly though!)

Is it possible to have a ps4 game displayed on vita via remote play on while controlling the game with a ds4?

DieH@rd

Banned
Is it possible to have a ps4 game displayed on vita via remote play on while controlling the game with a ds4?

No. Each controller/Vita requires an account to be binded with it, and one account can be active only on one location. If you are playing RP and then you want to use that same account on DS4 [it will prompt you to log in], then RP stream will end.

Ran rp

Great reading all your impressions. Makes the euro-wait a bit more bearable.. (only slightly though!)

Only if you're using two accounts. If someone is playing on the PS4 you can connect via Remote Play and watch them on your Vita. You do have a little bit of control though. You can't control the game with the Vita while they're playing but you can return to the menu and start up any other game or application. A notification will pop up in the corner saying which person currently has control.

But yeah, it is possible to play with a DS4 over remote play if you're RP'ng from a different account and are in range of the PS4.

I'm having serious problems with my FiOS router and Remote Play over Internet. I put it in the DMZ, still no good.

Any advice? Thinking about putting the firewall on the router to low. Any suggestions on why I should or shouldn't do that?

Make sure you have uPnP enabled. A lot of Fios routers have a version of the firmware that doesn't even support uPnP. So try to turn the feature on, if it's not there, get a version of the firmware that supports it.

melman101

Make sure you have uPnP enabled. A lot of Fios routers have a version of the firmware that doesn't even support uPnP. So try to turn the feature on, if it's not there, get a version of the firmware that supports it.

Yea, apparently they have pulled the link to the uPnP page off the router. But you can still access it.

Both boxes are checked:
Allow Other Network Users to Control Wireless Broadband Router's Network Features
Enable Automatic Cleanup of Old Unused UPnP Services

WAN Connection Publication: Only publish main WAN connection

Still no good. That was how it was by default

jkh33

Remote Play works like a dream locally. But I can't get it to work over the internet. Tried giving it a static IP, enabling UPnP, putting it in a DMZ, and port forwarding using the ports numbers on Sony's support site for Remote Play to still not work over the internet.

melman101

Remote Play works like a dream locally. But I can't get it to work over the internet. Tried giving it a static IP, enabling UPnP, putting it in a DMZ, and port forwarding using the ports numbers on Sony's support site for Remote Play to still not work over the internet.

Well, at least I'm not the only one now. What kind of internet router do you have? I have Verizon FiOS with an Actiontec MI424WR Rev. F.

I might just be too picky to be 100% happy with remote play. Connecting directly 10ft from the system and there's still this subtle "hitching" and terrible screen tearing. Good example is scrolling up/down on the What's New page, bad vertical tearing tracking across the screen.

Using a Vita TV as a ps4 "extender" in another room is no longer seeming viable to me.

Edit: What games if any use the Second Screen feature in PS4 Link?

I can't connect via internet either, but it works pretty good in my house. I have no clue how to assign a static IP, enable UPnP, put it in DMZ or port forward. Is there a FAQ? I have a pretty basic belkin wifi router

I feel like we must be missing something obvious. I didn't have to do anything special on my network in order to get the PS3 working through the internet with remote play.

melman101

I feel like we must be missing something obvious. I didn't have to do anything special on my network in order to get the PS3 working through the internet with remote play.

My PS3 remote play also works no problem. Maybe the PS4 remote play over internet has to do with the PSN being flaky? But I did "activate" the PS4 again today. But still no good.

Mel

My PS3 remote play also works no problem. Maybe the PS4 remote play over internet has to do with the PSN being flaky? But I did "activate" the PS4 again today. But still no good.

Mel

I've also tried restarting all my networking equipment and reregistering the Vita with the PS4, to no dice.

jwk94

Well dam. So if I'm away from my PS4, like miles away, should I leave Direct Connect ticked?

melman101

Huh, I turned off direct connect, and it works so much better for me now.

Direct connect enables the PS4 to output it's own wifi SSID so the Vita connects to that instead of your homes wifi router. If you are miles away you are using remote play over the internet which would not connect or use the direct connect ssid because it would be no where in sight.

If you are in your house, it may work better if you turn off direct connect because you are connecting to your homes wifi instead of the PS4

Can you customise the controls in RP? I know it says in the OP that you can but it is weird that no video shows that. At least I've not been able to find any that does.

VanWinkle

So disappointed it doesn't work for me. First day it worked PRETTY well, and now every time as soon as I connect and on it CONSTANTLY messes up and glitches. About three to five feet away from the ps4. Was hoping this was a game changer, and was hoping to give my Vitabros tons of impressions and tests, but its a complete failure for me. As such, and because quality and whether it even works varies so much, I can't remotely recommend anybody with a PS4 buy a Vita for this, or anybody with a Vita buy a PS4 for it unless they somehow KNOW it works in their set up. Wii U Off-TV this is NOT.

For the people that it works perfectly for, that's awesome. For me, its one of my biggest disappointments.

Edit: Sorry, I was mad. That sounded harsh. I really hope it gets better and starts working more seamlessly. I am looking forward to its future.

jkh33

Well, at least I'm not the only one now. What kind of internet router do you have? I have Verizon FiOS with an Actiontec MI424WR Rev. F.

I have an at&t uverse 2wire 3801HGV modem/router (disabled the wireless feature, so I'm just using wired LAN part) and a Linksys EA3500 wireless router connected to the modem.

Ok so it works perfectly for me at home but I'm at work now and can't connect. Guess I'll have to fiddle with some router settings, but it seems wifi tethering isn't working from my phone so I have no way to test online RP at home ><

Sorry to be dense, but could someone break down how it works that I can be miles away? I mean, yeah, the internet, but how? I'm assuming I have to get a static IP or something? Is this going to be automatic and I don't have to do anything? Sorcery, I tell ya!

ZeroAKA

Does direct link allow me to connect my PS4 to my Vita without having Wifi/internet enabled on either system? If so, how do I set it up? I keep getting some error message about my connection speed being too slow when I try to play Resogun on my Vita.

Moozo

Since I realised you can do this on different networks I am now really interested in getting a Vita in future. Kicking myself for not ticking the Vita boxes with my PS Plus sub.

Is it recommended to have the power save feature on the vita off? Does it make any difference in streaming quality if you have it on?

Top Bottom