• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyzer

Banned
people ran with the story, not the media. they confirmed something (that he had some "info" presented to him) and reported that, it didnt mean trump was a confirmed double agent, really had prostitutes pee on a bed, that the story really came from an MI6 agent, or any of that.

Neo_Geo

Banned
The horrifying thing about all of this is, even if there was clear as fucking day 4K video of any of this stuff, his base would still call it a hoax and move on...Get a dark 240p video of Hillary doing ANYTHING and the pitchforks become firmly planted. :|

Kifimbo

Hold on here.

One bullet point of the document is wrong. And it's not totally wrong. I mean, there was a Michael Cohen in Prague.

Grug

The documents specifically call out that the Prague information they have a low confidence on. So it's not surprising that's the first thread they'll pull at.

Yeah I'm surprised to see people bail out so quickly. This is just one detail that even the report itself specifically flags as being sketchy.

A report this detailed is never going to be 100 percent accurate. It's intelligence, not a scientific statement of fact.

In fact, you could point to the mention of a Michael Cohen in Prague as an indication that (despite getting the wrong Michael Cohen), the person compiling the report has access to some sort of meaningful data.

Capella

I'm watching MSNBC, so no link. But I'm sure it'll pop up on NBC's website pretty soon.

As for your question, they said Trump Tower isn't equipped to hold highly classified documents. So they couldn't leave the report there. It was prepped, but not presented.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, the only thing about the original report that may be wrong is whether or not Trump was actually handed the report. Obama being presented with it, may still be true?

Also, did they say anything about the sources being no longer being credible? The contents of the document being unvetted is something that's been made clear since the initial report.

The horrifying thing about all of this is, even if there was clear as fucking day 4K video of any of this stuff, his base would still call it a hoax and move on...Get a dark 240p video of Hillary doing ANYTHING and the pitchforks become firmly planted. :|
1 night of salacious, unverified rumours about trump - the media is over!

12+ months of salacious, unverified rumours about clinton - reporting "fairly"

Pilgrimzero

I think any other person would have quit by now. Even if it's not true this and everything else has tarnished his name and his companies image. Not to mention the effect on his wife and kids.

Audioboxer

All that has changed is that the Michael Cohen being in Prague was not the same one. The document itself declares that this one bullet point was the least reliable of its investigation.

<This post is sarcasm>

Imagine at this point the pissing kink ended up being the only real thing? lol

Looks like NBC News has just debunked the report.

I'm paraphrasing, but they said they spoke to a senior intelligence official who was involved with briefing Trump said that the 2 page appendix on this report was never actually given to the Trump team. The intelligence agencies briefed Trump orally and never handed them the documents that contained the 2 page appendixes. And the reason they included the two page appendix was to demonstrate an example of "unvetted disinformation" and compare it with information that is actually vetted.

So it seems at least for now the US intelligence agencies are saying the report is bunk. Trump might have dodged a bullet if the intelligence agencies release an official statement saying the same thing.

Is there a link on this?

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Yea. People need to calm down on the hoax thing.
CIA and FBI have on going investigations, some reports suggest there are even videos and footage out there, this isnt going anywhere.

LionPride

Banned
So because one source says something that we knew was unverifiable is fake then it's fake. But when 9 sources say there is something there, then all that is disregarded now?

Nope.

The poster said that the report (the actual document) was not given to him but that Trump was briefed orally on it, and the reason why was to let him know of unvetted information circulating around about him. I have no opinion on whether or not that poster is legitimately summarizing a source, but I don't see a contradiction.

The post started out saying he didn't get the report. But even if it was given orally, he still got it. He just didn't get the 2 page appendix being referenced. That's what's confusing to me. I also don't see how it debunks any of the story.

Jakoo

people ran with the story, not the media. they confirmed something (that he had some "info" presented to him) and reported that, it didnt mean trump was a confirmed double agent, really had prostitutes pee on a bed, that the story really came from an MI6 agent, or any of that.

Come on though. You don't think Buzzfeed knew an anti-Trump story with urine play wasn't going to drive the narrative?

They are the masters of clickbait--they published this knowing people would run with it. And if they cannot independently verify any of it or have nothing to add, I think it was an irresponsible move to do so.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I see the neo-nazis are well at work trying to paint this as a 4chan troll on Twitter right now.

Everyone who repeats or talks about it here is helping them. Once and for all: a panicky troll created a fake section of the document and another made the demonstrably false claim that 4chan fabricated the report and sent it to IC. They did not and further their coordinated amplification of this fud strongly suggests someone knows or believes the real report is credible.

I'm just going to wait until, like, 4 days from now until the dusts settles on this one unless something concrete like audio or video comes out. I can't make heads or tails of any of this.

Gutek

BuzzFeed says upfront it's unverified information. They released it because they felt the information should be out there in the public.

Buzzfeed was very clear on the fact that the information was not verified, contained errors, and was nothing but allegations at this point.

zelas

What a clustetfuck. This may backfire like no other.

On who? Pretty much every outlet has referred to the info as unverified. Stating the CIA is looking into it because its their job. The masses can do whatever they want, they're not held to any standards of journalistic integrity.

Kyzer

Banned
Come on though. You don't think Buzzfeed knew an anti-Trump story with urine play wasn't going to drive the narrative?

They are the masters of clickbait--they published this knowing people would run with it. And if they cannot independently verify any of it or have nothing to add, I think it was an irresponsible move to do so.

I agree, whats really disappointing to me is how quick many on the left are to jump to crazy conclusions because it confirms their political bias. like we were JUST making fun of/lamenting the shame of pizzagate.

TS-08

The post started out saying he didn't get the report. But even if it was given orally, he still got it. He just didn't get the 2 page appendix being referenced. That's what's confusing to me. I also don't see how it debunks any of the story.

I agree that this doesn't necessarily debunk the story, but there's no confusion. Trump wasn't handed the document. It was summarized for him. What aren't you getting?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Looks like NBC News has just debunked the report.

I'm paraphrasing, but they said they spoke to a senior intelligence official who was involved with briefing Trump said that the 2 page appendix on this report was never actually given to the Trump team. The intelligence agencies briefed Trump orally and never handed them the documents that contained the 2 page appendixes. And the reason they included the two page appendix was to demonstrate an example of "unvetted disinformation" and compare it with information that is actually vetted.

So it seems at least for now the US intelligence agencies are saying the report is bunk. Trump might have dodged a bullet if the intelligence agencies release an official statement saying the same thing.

Yep. GAF gets excited about another garbage story.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Off topic but my mother has all but moved to Serbia. We'd like for her to transition back to the US (she is a US citizen) but it'll take some time, specifically me getting a better job to support a household with an extra bedroom for her.

How likely is it that Russia would invade Serbia or that there may come a point where she may not be able to travel out due to escalations? How worried should I be?

I think Russia is way too involved in Syria and Ukraine to even begin worrying about Serbia. They only have so many resources.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
They had an ongoing investigation into Clinton's emails too. How'd that turn out?
That was the FBI alone, right? The same FBI that refused to confirm what other intelligence agencies had confirmed weeks before. The same FBI whose director decided to comment on an investigation openly, which he conspicuously isnt doing now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I really don't see anything as having changed

Don't worry. Literally hundreds of other people are too oblivious to understand what's happening and what's going to happen and yet it is all going to continue to happen even if you pristinely remain clueless. You will not be alone.

CNN was the first to report on this, not Buzzfeed. Buzzfeed just leaked the report in question.

Audioboxer

Buzzfeed was very clear on the fact that the information was not verified, contained errors, and was nothing but allegations at this point.

They'll get the backfire of pulling the trigger to "leak" though. They made a judgement to share with the public and while I think the public should know, but arguably AFTER an investigation, they'll potentially face consequences for making their judgement.

If Trump gets cleared of the majority of this, or if it can't stick on him, Buzzfeeds legal department better be ready for the litigation machine. I'm surprised the loudmouth hasn't threatened suing on Twitter already. I guess that is next after he starts tweeting at 2am tonight.

Guevara

Not only will this leave the media with a black eye, it will give Trump an excuse to gut our intelligence apparatus if they get this wrong.

Buzzfeed was a mistake.

I feel like we've all slipped into some weird Assassins Creed reality. Trump/4chan/et al are Templars. Buzzfeed is Haytham.

royalan

Guys, NBC didn't "debunk" the story.

They reported that Trump was not given a copy of the report because Trump Tower is not equipped to store confidential information. But the report exists and, more importantly to the story, the source of the report (M16 agent) has not been debunked. In fact, at this point he's been labeled as credible by multiple sources. The claims are still being investigated and are considered unverified, but that was never the question.

Boke1879

Also I said earlier in this thread, but Trump could very well be innocent in all of this. An investigation should be had.

But this is why you stay in contact with the ethics committee. This is why you fucking release your taxing so people aren't even questioning this shit.

It's why you should lie about having business in Russia when you're own fucking son says you do.

And just a note. True or not. These allegations have done their job. People will believe them if they want to. People already thought he was a Russian stooge and these claims bolster that.

Just like people wanted to believe Clinton was the devil incarnate.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, NBC didn't "debunk" the story.

They reported that Trump was not given a copy of the report because Trump Tower is not equipped to store confidential information. But the report exists and, more importantly to the story, the source of the report (M16 agent) has not been debunked. In fact, at this point he's been labeled as credible by multiple sources.

Someone sticky this.

Kyzer

Banned
CNN was the first to report on this, not Buzzfeed. Buzzfeed just leaked the report in question.

CNN reported that Trump was actually presented info about Russians having compromising info on him. not that it was confirmed he was a russian puppet that likes prostitutes. we dont even know which parts of these memos the intelligence community decided are worth investigating.

also to the people saying , just because something hasnt been verified doesnt mean its not true, or that this hasnt been debunked yet, do you not see the problem with believing stories until they are debunked or assuming it might be true until proven otherwise, for no reason other than political bias? thats dangerous, hypocritical (coming from the people who could dissect the nuances of all of hillary's situations to see how in truth she was actually a great person) and kinda dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom