• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

I mean, the Michael Cohen thing is the one thing on the report that was already said to be one of the more dubious parts about it and that was the first thing they doubled down on to debunk, which isn't particularly super reassuring if that's going to be their main play.

Focusing on that alone seems to play into the distraction game, and this is ignoring the fact that there actually was a Michael Cohen there, so it's not so simple that the entire report is just fabrication.

Boke1879

Guys, NBC didn't "debunk" the story.

They reported that Trump was not given a copy of the report because Trump Tower is not equipped to store confidential information. But the report exists and, more importantly to the story, the source of the report (M16 agent) has not been debunked. In fact, at this point he's been labeled as credible by multiple sources.

Yea I have no idea what the hell people are talking about this being debunked.

Hold on here.

One bullet point of the document is wrong. And it's not totally wrong. I mean, there was a Michael Cohen in Prague.

The report was prepared allegedly by a former MI6 operative who was hired by a private firm to investigate stuff. If this was actually created by a US intelligence agency, they would have easily verified who traveled when and where.

This was all based on someone talking to people and compiling an oppo report and being unable to verify any of the claims. It's why most of the media sat on it. Do you really think this would be a report created by a US intelligence agency when many of the points are incredibly easy for them to verify?

I agree that this doesn't necessarily debunk the story, but there's no confusion. Trump wasn't handed the document. It was summarized for him. What aren't you getting?

I just said, but looking back at his post, I do think I just misread. He didn't say Trump didn't receive the report like I thought he did. He did, just orally. He didn't see the 2 page appendix. I guess I'm also confused about him claiming this 'debunks' the story.

marrec

Banned

They reported that Trump was not given a copy of the report because Trump Tower is not equipped to store confidential information. But the report exists and, more importantly to the story, the source of the report (M16 agent) has not been debunked. In fact, at this point he's been labeled as credible by multiple sources.

That's why I was laughing at the whiplash.

Folks ITT apparently didn't know how to read from the beginning, and are continuing to make reading mistakes going forward.

That's why I said last night that piss jokes are all fine and well but nothing about this is verified, one way or another, so lets keep it in check.

Zyae

They reported that Trump was not given a copy of the report because Trump Tower is not equipped to store confidential information. But the report exists and, more importantly to the story, the source of the report (M16 agent) has not been debunked. In fact, at this point he's been labeled as credible by multiple sources. The claims are still being investigated and are considered unverified, but that was never the question.

Yup.

Audioboxer

I mean, the Michael Cohen thing is the one thing on the report that was already said to be one of the more dubious parts about it and that was the first thing they doubled down on to debunk, which isn't particularly super reassuring if that's going to be their main play.

Focusing on that alone seems to play into the distraction game, and this is ignoring the fact that there actually was a Michael Cohen there, so it wasn't just fabrication.

It's one of the easiest things to dispute right off the bat to be fair. Person x was in location y in or around date z. It literally takes a minute to dispute that if you remember where you were, and probably just hours of investigating for 3rd parties to confirm.

Jakoo

CNN was the first to report on this, not Buzzfeed. Buzzfeed just leaked the report in question.

I don't have an issue with CNN's reporting though, because (IIRC) they reported on the fact that this existed and was shown to Trump and Obama. That much is true.

The fact Buzzfeed leaked the contents of the report without verifying it though is a bridge too far.

Bellamin

Yep. If you're reading this, stop speculating. All you're doing is spreading false info.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, the only thing about the original report that may be wrong is whether or not Trump was actually handed the report. Obama being presented with it, may still be true?

Also, did they say anything about the sources being no longer being credible? The contents of the document being unvetted is something that's been made clear since the initial report.

That's a good point. The segment on MSNBC didn't mention anything about why the report was given to Obama (has that even been confirmed?).

No they didn't speak on the sources. They simply said they classified it as "unvetted disinformation" when they put together the presentation.

Hoping NBCNews puts together a full article online of their findings. They basically just did a 1 minute segment live on MSNBC about it, so it's not too much to go on. But it seemed like the intelligence agencies were dismissing it. But we'll see.

Grug

Jeezus this place is bipolar.

Again, it bears repeating... one piece in the report (that the report itself identified as sketchy) turned out to be an error (different from a fabrication).

Just chill a bit. It could all be bullplop, or parts of it might be bullplop). The one thing it was never going to be was 100 percent accurate, that was the only certainty. Now when people find that out they abandon ship?

That's why I was laughing at the whiplash.

Folks ITT apparently didn't know how to read from the beginning, and are continuing to make reading mistakes going forward.

That's why I said last night that piss jokes are all fine and well but nothing about this is verified, one way or another, so lets keep it in check.

Michael Cohen is a clone!?! Wait, what?

That was the FBI alone, right? The same FBI that refused to confirm what other intelligence agencies had confirmed weeks before. The same FBI whose director decided to comment on an investigation openly, which he conspicuously isnt doing now.

Not to speak for the poster you quoted, but I thought that was the sarcastic joke. That Comey commented, when he shouldnt have and when there is actually a rule to not comment in a window, on the fact that emails came in that might relate to Hillary.

CNN reported that Trump was actually presented info about Russians having compromising info on him. not that it was confirmed he was a russian puppet that likes prostitutes. we dont even know which parts of these memos the intelligence community decided are worth investigating.

Stop putting words in my mouth, that isn't what I said.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
It's not that it's true or false, it's that it's impossible to verify.

Many reporters were approached with this story and many refused to run it.

There's a reason it's on Buzzfeed

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

They reported that Trump was not given a copy of the report because Trump Tower is not equipped to store confidential information. But the report exists and, more importantly to the story, the source of the report (M16 agent) has not been debunked. In fact, at this point he's been labeled as credible by multiple sources. The claims are still being investigated and are considered unverified, but that was never the question.

This. The MI-6 agent is the one who holds this all together. With McCain statement confirming his part as well.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

It's not confidential. It came from a third-party and was circulated among the media as well as intelligence agencies.

also you're mixing what is credible with what can be verified. The actual document might be credible in that it was is a real document someone in the FBI or CIA knew about but it's not credible in that anyone can actually verify the information.

still, let's keep the dream alive because the tweets from Trump can only get better.

gaugebozo

Doesn't your passport only get stamped when you enter or leave the Schengen zone, not when you cross country borders? So he could have entered elsewhere.

Trump's Twitter outrage may not be damning, but it doesn't make his side of the story look any more believable.

And yeah, the Michael Cohen stuff seems like the one thing of the report that can't debunk the whole thing if proven false. It still hurts the report's credibility, though.

That's a good point. The segment on MSNBC didn't mention anything about why the report was given to Obama (has that even been confirmed?).

No they didn't speak on the sources. They simply said they classified it as "unvetted disinformation" when they put together the presentation.

Hoping NBCNews puts together a full article online of their findings. They basically just did a 1 minute segment live on MSNBC about it, so it's not too much to go on. But it seemed like the intelligence agencies were dismissing it. But we'll see.

How are they dismissing it, though? This is part that's really confusing me about what you're saying.

Yeah. It's getting tricky to tell who doesn't get it but acts dramatic anyway, and who is purposefully trying to obfuscate things.

Audioboxer

It's not that it's true or false, it's that it's impossible to verify.

Many reporters were approached with this story and many refused to run it.

There's a reason it's on Buzzfeed

Give Trump's hair a sniff when walking passed him and see if you smell piss. If you do, run the story.

Focusing on that alone seems to play into the distraction game, and this is ignoring the fact that there actually was a Michael Cohen there, so it's not so simple that the entire report is just fabrication.

All of the contents of the report are based on hearsay and there is no way to validate any of it. The stuff that can be easily validated has been debunked. The entire report reads like a game of telephone where someone compiled all the stuff they heard and typed it up. Someone actually in a position of power within the intelligence agencies would never have made that type of mistake. It is incredibly easy for them to check if X person traveled out of the country and where they went.

I mean, I could have typed up this report if I wanted. No need to validate claims. The fact that the report included the Golden Shower thing should indicate how absurd the entire report is.

Zereta

Jake Tapper saying a different Michael Cohen was in Prague means one of those things is not wrong. The report said Michael Cohen was in Prague. Doesn't the fact that a Michael Cohen was in Prague add some sort of legitimacy to that report then?

Who knows how that intelligence was obtained? MI6 guy might have heard the name Michael Cohen and linked it (irresponsibly) to the investigation he was already doing.

I picture agents sweating at computers and in the field with a giant red clock that is counting down to January 20th.

Foggy

I agree, whats really disappointing to me is how quick many on the left are to jump to crazy conclusions because it confirms their political bias. like we were JUST making fun of/lamenting the shame of pizzagate.

LOL your point can stand on its own without your lustful desire to compare it to pizzagate. Pizzagate is on a different planet of absurdity compared to what's developing now.

when did I say you said that? no need to be defensive

The fact that you quoted me without the context of the reply implies that's what I was saying. Not to mention almost all your posts have been going on about 'confirmed' this and 'confirmed' this and comparing this to pizzagate when no one is saying that anything has been confirmed. You know what you're doing.

Thaedolus

So assuming some of this stuff sticks, what happens next? Can we count on a republican congress to impeach their own guy? There'll never be a second elections, even though the first was a fucking sham. I feel like this country is bent over and has no choice but to get fucked in the ass for the next four years and deal with the consequences for the next 40.

CNN reported that Trump was actually presented info about Russians having compromising info on him. not that it was confirmed he was a russian puppet that likes prostitutes. we dont even know which parts of these memos the intelligence community decided are worth investigating.

Right, and all BuzzFeed did was say "here's the report you've been reading about in the news".

Other people rain with the claim of it being real

Boke1879

You're going to see a lot of junior and dusty dormant accounts suddenly wake up and "debunk" things in this thread.

I mean I get it. People want proof when it doesn't fit what they want. But that's not how things work. Hell the media posted about emails that weren't even interesting like it was some big conspiracy.

From the get go people who have paid attention and aren't trying to troll knew this was unverified. I think hearings need to be had. Obviously investigations are still underway which is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom