• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohwiseone

Looks like NBC News has just debunked the report.

I'm paraphrasing, but they said they spoke to a senior intelligence official who was involved with briefing Trump said that the 2 page appendix on this report was never actually given to the Trump team. The intelligence agencies briefed Trump orally and never handed them the documents that contained the 2 page appendixes. And the reason they included the two page appendix was to demonstrate an example of "unvetted disinformation" and compare it with information that is actually vetted.

So it seems at least for now the US intelligence agencies are saying the report is bunk. Trump might have dodged a bullet if the intelligence agencies release an official statement saying the same thing.

Oh Jesus Christ, and here I was thinking I was going to watch the second shortest presidency in U.S. History.

Bellamin

A variety of reporters on twitter are saying that they heard about this but couldn't verify the claims. In my cursory review it seems like they are split on if they believe Buzzfeed should have released the document the way they did.

I don't doubt that 4chan is "taking credit to discredit" because /pol/ is Pro Trump. However, just because we all really want Trump to be discredited to high-heavens, that doesn't make the handling of this information wise. Buzzfeed leaking the details sets a disturbing precedent because it's signal boosting something they haven't independently verified--this is definitely something most people would shit on Breitbart or something for doing.

Definitely. It's the journalist's job to cut through the BS before reporting. Buzzfeed just got lazy.

Knoxcore

How would Pence not be tied to this as well? It appears to have been the entire game plan of the campaign to use Russian influence. Everyone involved in the campaign can be tied to this.
The focus seems to be on Trump right now. But if Pence was involved then we get President Ryan, which given Trump and Pence, I much rather have.

Jakoo

I'm paraphrasing, but they said they spoke to a senior intelligence official who was involved with briefing Trump said that the 2 page appendix on this report was never actually given to the Trump team. The intelligence agencies briefed Trump orally and never handed them the documents that contained the 2 page appendixes. And the reason they included the two page appendix was to demonstrate an example of "unvetted disinformation" and compare it with information that is actually vetted.

So it seems at least for now the US intelligence agencies are saying the report is bunk. Trump might have dodged a bullet if the intelligence agencies release an official statement saying the same thing.

Link? I can't find one...was it live on the air or...?

TyrantII

A variety of reporters on twitter are saying that they heard about this but couldn't verify the claims. In my cursory review it seems like they are split on if they believe Buzzfeed should have released the document the way they did.

True, but its coming out now because the new development is it's credible enough that the intelligence community briefed both the POTUS and PEOTUS on it. That directly lends credibility to it. There also word now it's actively being investigated.

For that to happen, the sources and circles this info is coming from have to be known well to the intelligence community. They don't breif the president on something pulled from an anon on 4Chan.

So, it makes it reportable news when the CIA and FBI says there might be something to this.

Zyae

this completely contradicts CNNs initial report

Audioboxer

Michael Cohen was telling the truth about not being in Prague.

Jake Tapper: Trump's Michael Cohen was not in Prague. A different Michael Cohen was (born the same year but don't share the same birthday). Media needs to not dive into the specifics until those specifics are confirmed. Should be careful with the press conference today.

Sorry, cheers, couldn't watch the video.

I mean I have believed all along if there is truths in here, it's not some arbitrary 100% of the document or nothing.

It'll be pretty hilarious though if they've found someone with the same name and just went "it's him!". For all the wrong reasons, hilarious :(

Kyzer

Banned
True, but its coming out now because the new development is it's credible enough that the intelligence community briefed both the POTUS and PEOTUS on it. That directly lends credibility to it. There also word now it's actively being investigated.

For that to happen, the sources and circles this info is coming from have to be known well to the intelligence community. They don't breif the president on something pulled from an anon on 4Chan.

So, it makes it reportable news when the CIA and FBI says there might be something to this.

we never knew the contents of the report to trump. the only news really reported by good media sources was that trump was presented info on russia having compromising info on him.

this completely contradicts CNNs initial report

not really. all they reported was that they confirmed trump was really presented info on russia having compromising info on him. thats it.

BriGuy

And the clusterfuck begins.

The way this is being handled is positively noxious and has the potential to fireback like nothing else.
Yep, Trump's surrogates have their out now. Anything short of irrefutable video evidence will now just be deflected with "well they said Cohen was in Prague and it wasn't even the same guy so you know their intel is all bunk designed to smear the incoming President."

And that will be the end of it.

How can they say the 2 page appendix was never given to Trump, then say it was given to Trump for a specific reason? Doesn't make a lot of sense. Also doesn't debunk anything. You have a link?

I'm watching MSNBC, so no link. But I'm sure it'll pop up on NBC's website pretty soon.

As for your question, they said Trump Tower isn't equipped to hold highly classified documents. So they couldn't leave the report there. It was prepped, but not presented.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Wait. Those saying a different Michael was in Prague, are they talking about passport travel? Because someone having secret meetings wouldnt have passport travel straight in to prague.

Jakoo

I'm not discounting it, but I'm also not counting it. Just because Trump is a disaster doesn't mean his critics should assume every negative story about him if you want to be treated credibly.

The media should take individual threads from the report, drill into them, and independently verify them. Report THAT as news.

Instead Buzzfeed was like "we can't be the judge, so we will let you guys decide!". It was a power-play for hits and the off-chance that they might be on to something. And heck, maybe they are on to something, but I think it's wayyyy too early to judge, and people are getting whipped up in a fury about it.

BFIB

Welp, if this ends up being a hoax, Trump will basically be immune to anything further.

It sounded too good to be true, and now we will really suffer for it.

WedgeX

Banned

Link?

NBC news' website is saying:

NBC News said:
Two U.S. officials told NBC News that briefing materials prepared for Trump included damaging allegations, which have not been verified by American intelligence agencies, about his dealings with Russians.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The documents specifically call out that the Prague information they have a low confidence on. So it's not surprising that's the first thread they'll pull at.

Boke1879

People the CNN report is being investigated by the FBI, CIA and other intelligence agencies. That's literally the whole point.

Even idiot Comey won't speak on it because it's an "ongoing" investigation.

Grug

Are 4chan going to pretend they knew a different Michael Cohen was in Prague all along and slipped it into the report to catch everyone out?

I'm watching MSNBC, so no link. But I'm sure it'll pop up on NBC's website pretty soon.

As for your question, they said Trump Tower isn't equipped to hold highly classified documents. So they couldn't leave the report there. It was prepped, but not presented.

Okay, I'm still not sure I understand how this leads to debunking the story, or how Trump wasn't presented with the report (even if it was orally given, it was still given?). I feel like maybe I'm just misunderstanding.

TS-08

Yes? The way he wrote it totally contradicted itself, unless I'm misunderstanding something?

The poster said that the report (the actual document) was not given to him but that Trump was briefed orally on it, and the reason why was to let him know of unvetted information circulating around about him. I have no opinion on whether or not that poster is legitimately summarizing a source, but I don't see a contradiction.

The GOP are opportunists, they knew Russia was using Trump and rode the coat-tails.

If Trump is removed they will not be buddy buddy with Russia, they will absolutely keep sanctions and most likely increase them.

This isn't going to be some major save for liberals, but this is going to be a major save for Europe if Trump is removed and we hold firm with out commitments to NATO.

That's exactly what I want, NATO is the foundation of global peace and stability. It cannot be allowed to falter.

E-Cat

People the CNN report is being investigated by the FBI, CIA and other intelligence agencies. That's literally the whole point.

Even idiot Comey won't speak on it because it's an "ongoing" investigation.
Yeah, he really hates commenting on those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom