• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opto

Banned
It's sad that there's more credible testimony to Trump's sexual assaults than this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this is getting picked up and spread, and could lead to a real investigation that drags him across the coals.

jstripes

Banned
@CJH_News
The BBC's Paul Wood, a respected foreign correspondent, says he has another source claiming multiple #Trump tapes exist. This story has legs

More and more like Rob Ford every day.

If things keep going this way Trump will vehemently deny everything until solid proof comes out, and then he'll apologize/not apologize and clumsily attempt to go on like business as usual. Then everyone will turn on him.

Ac30

If things keep going this way Trump will vehemently deny everything until solid proof comes out, and then he'll apologize/not apologize and clumsily attempt to go on like business as usual. Then everyone will turn on him.

Trump is already hated by a slim majority of the US. His ego won't survive this

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You folks really need to get the timeline right. CNN is simply reporting what was debriefed to Obama/Trump. Intel community thought it was strong enough to present to them. They will of course verify and corroborate more, including Buzzfeed piss details.

I addressed this at a previous edit.

CNN claims that it knows that Trump and Obama were briefed about Trump being potentially susceptible to being blackmailed, among other things. This is fairly credible and I believe that it's extremely newsworthy per se.

CNN also knew that at least part the information provided was unsustained. This puts the entire thing upside down as it makes impossible to ascertain the actual journalistic value of the piece.

This is pretty much the definition of an article that is more trouble than it's worth. The information published by CNN could provide some excellent context to a further article down the line, but it amounts to very little in its current state and it's extremely easy to manipulate the public into believing that it's "fake news" given the significant lack substance behind it, not to mention the completely foreseable escalation (in this case, initiated by Buzzfeed).

This was handled very poorly and it will play straight into Trump's hands unless something meaty comes out it and soon.

Yeah, then they will. Just like last time.

I can already hear that one terrible coworker. "What's wrong with being close to Russia?" "Hey, I'm not big into that stuff, but do you still listen to R Kelley? Hypocrite."

Then someone brings up Hillary Clinton for some reason.

Hari Seldon

The only thing that gives me pause about the credibility of this is how the hell did it leak out of the FSB? If the Russians had blackmail material it would be the #1 most closely guarded secret worthy of Manhattan project levels of security. Those tapes would be on air gap computers deep in the Kremlin. I dunno, this seems like it could go either way to me.

jstripes

Banned
Trump is already hated by a slim majority of the US. His ego won't survive this

He lives in his own universe. He thinks he's loved by all. That's why he goes into a meltdown when someone picks on him: It's a brief glimpse of the cold, hard truth.

Meowster

Hillary was warning everyone to look into Trump's ties to Russia and Putin and everyone looked at her like she was insane and deflecting. Hope something comes out of this (probably not).

That is a superficial reason to dismiss bad journalism. The fact that they were debriefing anyone has absolutely zero relevance. If the intelligence community is not ready to release it to the public, neither should the press. The New York Times said this is exactly why they did not report on it, and the ethical contrast could not be clearer.

The worst part is that the media apparently knew about this before the election. If they genuinely think it's worth discussing now, they had an ethical obligation to release it to the American voter before the election. They can't have it both ways.
CNN simply reported what happened. Thats it. Are we not supposed to report what happened?

cress2000

It's going to take some amazing solid proof to get everyone to agree it's solid proof. :\

Boke1879

The only thing that gives me pause about the credibility of this is how the hell did it leak out of the FSB? If the Russians had blackmail material it would be the #1 most closely guarded secret worthy of Manhattan project levels of security. Those tapes would be on air gap computers deep in the Kremlin. I dunno, this seems like it could go either way to me.

I don't think it's hard to imagine They might have some sort of financial or personal blackmail on Trump.

I mean Trump won't even release his own taxes. And his constant ass kissing of Putin kinda makes people look in that direction.

That said the report that CNN is talking about has credible sources. It's just all about verifying them

jstripes

Banned
Yeah, then they will. Just like last time.

I can already hear that one terrible coworker. "What's wrong with being close to Russia?" "Hey, I'm not big into that stuff, but do you still listen to R Kelley? Hypocrite."

Ford had many conservative allies on council before the crack video was confirmed by the chief of police, and the follow-up "plenty to eat at home" quote related to another scandal. He crossed a line with that, and council went and stripped him of all his powers and duties.

Oriel

It's rather sad seeing the Trumpbots now insisting the published dossier isn't credible when they themselves so eagerly embraced bullshit being spouted by Wikileaks/Russian Intelligence. Even more sad, and deluded, that 4Chan has convinced itself that it manipulated the CIA with some Trump fan-fiction/Hentai.

Kyzer

Banned
How is that "very different"? If you've been groomed and blackmailed by Russia, then you are easily manipulated by Russia. Like... what?

Also, no one said the hooker piss was the most scandalous thing. The poster said it's just the most surprising form that the situation might take. Being a groomed shill is standard corruption fare.

Did you read the report? They were working together. Intentionally. Colluding. And actually , Lord Frieza himself said "other than the golden shower thing, what is absurd?", and others have implied the same, that it is the only thing that is even hard to believe.

Easy strawman, but If everything about Trump's ties to Russia that's been detailed, including financial and staff ties, really just equates 'Trump loves Russia,' and nothing else then you truly don't understand what's being said at all and I don't think there's a point to continuing. You either seriously can't follow what I'm saying (which is insanely simple really, and something you've gleamed in many of your responses), or are intentionally prolonging this because you can't really take that I've cut off your main argument and silly PizzaGate comparisons.

I follow what you're saying. You are not arguing the story is true, merely stating that it is not shocking if true. I disagree. To think Trump's love affair with Russia during the elections were somehow obvious displays of him being a complicit Russian plant and doing illegal deals with them is totally false IMO. You already agreed its crazy as a story but proceeded to rationalize why its actually not because its Trump and somehow its logic to connect those dots and not confirmation bias. My pizzagate comparison stands for as long as people are whipped into a frenzy by outrageous unsubstantiated claims, by news that has not been confirmed; you don't have to agree with the comparison, and of course you wouldn't because you believe it is reasonable to think this report is not that crazy sounding.

As for "Trump loves Russia" as a simple reduction of the report, thats the impression I get of your understanding considering the treasonous accusations within the report itself, and the fact that you somehow think that is par for the course.

ZOONAMI

A Russian intelligence operative essentially being a mole and leaking the information to the British mi6 agent.

It's not that hard to figure out.

A former mi6 agent would potentially have a contact in the FSB.

Makonero

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/craven-reporters-scold-buzzfeed-for-reporting-news-1791071084

Some of the most powerful people in American society have been sharing and reading and discussing a document. We're supposed to be mad at the reporters who decided that everyone else should get a look at it too?

Graham further wrings his hands over Trump—by his own admission a public figure—being forced to respond to the dossier's allegations. That Donald Trump is a public figure is no accident: You may recall him seeking, and winning, election to the presidency of the United States. (Perhaps you additionally remember him flouting the disclosure protocols typically associated with campaigning for that job.) This dossier reportedly has been making the rounds among some of the highest-ranking people in the United States government, including Trump and (presumably) his staff; the discussion about it is happening; and it was already happening before anybody at BuzzFeed clicked a button to publish the thing. Under no set of circumstances would the incoming president of the United States—a figure not just ”public" in the sense of being very famous, but one whose accountability to the public is written into the laws of the land—be able to avoid responding, in some way or another, formally or informally, to a dossier circulating at the highest levels of government alleging that he has troublesome and potentially scandalous ties to a foreign power (and enjoys watching Russian hookers piss on beds in which the Obamas have slept).

All BuzzFeed's reporting has assured is that that response—which, again, never was not going to happen—must include some public component. In short, it has assured that an elected official is forced to answer, however poorly or dishonestly, to the people who elected him. It has fulfilled the highest and most basic purpose of journalism.

And here are reporters, for chrissakes, telling us that a trade interest in controlling the flow of information ought to prevent that from happening. There's been a lot of talk lately about how Donald Trump happened. Here's part of the answer.

I tend to agree. It IS newsworthy to have this dossier out. And now it's finally getting legs because people are able to do public research on it. If this had never been published, it might have just disappeared altogether once Trump was in power.

Boke1879

Did you read the report? They were working together. Intentionally. Colluding. And actually , Lord Frieza himself said "other than the golden shower thing, what is absurd?", and others have implied the same, that it is the only thing that is even hard to believe.

I follow what you're saying. You are not arguing the story is true, merely stating that it is not shocking if true. I disagree. To think Trump's love affair with Russia during the elections were somehow obvious displays of him being a complicit Russian plant and doing illegal deals with them is totally false IMO. You already agreed its crazy as a story but proceeded to rationalize why its actually not because its Trump and somehow its logic to connect those dots and not confirmation bias. My pizzagate comparison stands for as long as people are whipped into a frenzy by outrageous unsubstantiated claims, by news that has not been confirmed; you don't have to agree with the comparison, and of course you wouldn't because you believe it is reasonable to think this report is not that crazy sounding.

As for "Trump loves Russia" as a simple reduction of the report, thats the impression I get of your understanding considering the treasonous accusations within the report itself, and the fact that you somehow think that is par for the course.

If they have incriminating personal and financial info that's blackmail. Trump probably really does like Putin. Trump has surrogates that love Putin so yea they'd love to help him. But if they are dangling this folder with a lot of incriminating shit in front of you. Using it against you if you deviate from a certain platform. That's blackmail. No matter if they "helped" each other.

zethren

Banned
A Russian intelligence operative essentially being a mole and leaking the information to the British mi6 agent.

It's not that hard to figure out.

A former mi6 agent would potentially have a contact in the FSB.

Exactly.
It's honestly not that hard to believe, at all. We just need to substantiate it now.

Boke1879

This is the definition of clutching at straws and it's actually getting embarrassing.

Even if there are Trump sex tapes...So What???
What have these got to do with anything?

And the USA invaded countries to spread democracy.

Who says those are tapes involving sex? Could be audio tapes.

The only thing that can happen at this point is that congress impeaches Trump immediately. Can't stop him from being President without like a constitutional convention or a coup.

Trump is hanging on for his life. Russia, Intel Communities or Republicans might take him out to end this whole charade and thus prevent WW3 and/or Civil War. If Trump is removed from office I do see a bunch on the right making their stands with their doomsday supplies however. That unfortunately is the best case scenario. Best of the worst.

Orbis

This is the definition of clutching at straws and it's actually getting embarrassing.

If tapes exist that confirm what is in the document, then perhaps other parts of the document are also true. That seems obvious, no?

zethren

Banned

Whataboutism is a flimsy argument, and a fallacy.

Also, if the tapes are real it lends credence to the blackmail story. Which lends credence to...oh I don't know, the little bit about Russian influence and possibly treason?

Honestly, the report was part of a chicken-and-egg problem. Can't report on it because the report itself is unsubstantiated, but you can't have the American media motivated enough to dig around to confirm it BECAUSE nobody reported on it.

At least CNN stuck their neck out and basically called out for the media to start digging into this hard.

A deflection followed by another, bigger deflection.

You gotta try harder than this, dude.

Kyzer

Banned
If they have incriminating personal and financial info that's blackmail. Trump probably really does like Putin. Trump has surrogates that love Putin so yea they'd love to help him. But if they are dangling this folder with a lot of incriminating shit in front of you. Using it against you if you deviate from a certain platform. That's blackmail. No matter if they "helped" each other.

Read the report. It says they colluded. On NATO, Ukraine, illegally ascertaining and exchanging info with each other. It is so much deeper than Trump just being a dummy manipulated by Putin.

Trump will be impeached the moment any of these tapes leak.

If I were going to put on a tinfoil hat for a second, I'd say that the Russians didn't mind the information leaking because it accomplishes exactly what they wanted: to further undermine American democracy. What better way to follow a tense and contested election than by having the would-be president undermined and disgraced right before Inauguration Day?

People lose faith in Democrats due to Russian intervention and people lose faith in Republicans due to then letting Russian intervention glide through on their watch. And what's America going to do, go to war with Russia over this? Even if politicians pushed for it, it would be extremely unpopular, thus further weakening people's trust in America's government. Meanwhile, in all the chaos, there are not enough grown-ups with the power needed to stop Putin from creeping into neighboring countries.

So I don't know. I feel like this could be part of Putin's long game or it could just be a couple of people pissing in the pool to see what happens.

ZOONAMI

Wut?

It's hiring prostitutes to piss on a bed used by the obamas. That's fucking nuts.

The bigger story is that it's being used as blackmail to direct Trumps campaign strategy and potentially his policies going forward as president.

Blackmail is serious business as we essentially have a Russian puppet as president.

It would also be treason as trump should have refused to be directed by the Russians and instead allow them to release their compromising intel, instead of willingly becoming an agent for the Russian government.

faisal233

IMO it's over. The deep state has made its decision, just a question of when at this point. Trump chose poorly when he went on the offensive against the IC, they will place self-preservation above his presidency

L1H1kU.png

ZOONAMI

IMO it's over. The deep state has made its decision, just a question of when at this point. Trump chose poorly when he went on the offensive against the IC, they will place self-preservation above his presidency

L1H1kU.png

Shit we need someone to leak a stream of the tapes.

jstripes

Banned

"Hey guys, election's over, don't worry, just let Mother Russia do her thing."

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/craven-reporters-scold-buzzfeed-for-reporting-news-1791071084

I tend to agree. It IS newsworthy to have this dossier out. And now it's finally getting legs because people are able to do public research on it. If this had never been published, it might have just disappeared altogether once Trump was in power.

For what is worth, I think Buzzfeed was kind of right in publishing that document as it provided a lot of context to what amounted to a rather amorphous blob of information. I also think it's not helping the situation at all as it's making things even muddier.

It's a journalistic clusterfuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom