• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOONAMI

It is time for peaceful mass protest.

The most impactful time for that is obviously the inauguration.

A weeklong protest isn't going to stop the the inauguration.

An arrest of Trump or someone in his inner circle might.

There is a 200,000 strong woman's protest the day after (I have no idea why they picked the day after).

I'd imagine of the million + spectators at least 200k will be protesting the day of.

Raven117

As a side note, I wish the "internet" was around in 2000 (yes, I know it was...I meant social media), to see how crazy this was with Bush and Gore.

We are all in dangerous water right now. I don't know what the outcome will be if things truly went South, but between Russia hacking the DNC, between Trump being a yahoo at best (and compromised by Russia at worst), the nation as a whole not trusting traditional institutions such as the FBI, our own leadership publically bashing our Foreign Intelligence....The foundation is certainly shaking.

The only think that lifts my eyes is hope that America, the country, us, we, are stronger than this. In the words of Obama, Fear can cripple a democracy. Unqualified statement.

Fear of Trump and using "All means necessary" out of fear is as dangerous to democracy as Trump may very well turn out to be.

The miracle of Western Democracy was the PROCESS in which we govern ourselves. You have to believe in the Process more so than the ends of that process.

Long way of saying. Use protests, use freedom of speech, and most importantly grab a clipboard and start getting involved. In other words, see what the Tea Party did after Obama got elected? That...do that.

Gutek

We need more than protest, we need organizing. Protests are good, but then everyone goes home and feels good about themselves. Lasting power comes from organizations.

You need someone to organize behind for that. I don't see anyone stepping up. Bernie could be it. But he is more concerned with his campaign talking points than this attack on our democratic order.

Michael Moore could be the guy, but he lacks charisma and credibility.

America: "Yuck! I accidentally used salt instead of sugar when I baked this cake."

The Rest of the World: "Then why are you still eating it? Why not throw it out and bake another cake?"

America: "THAT'S NOT HOW WE DO THINGS! WE BAKE A CAKE AT 2PM ON SATURDAYS AND THAT CAN NEVER, EVER CHANGE!"

If your oven was sentient and grew antsy if it didn't run every Saturday, then you might do the same.

You need someone to organize behind for that. I don't see anyone stepping up. Bernie could be it. But he is more concerned with his campaign talking points than this attack on our democratic order.

probably would have to be a POC for maximum effect

IMO, we're not going to have a national organization in the short term. Local municipal offices are winnable as Kshama Sawant has done in Seattle, which could form the basis for a party of the working class. Local organizations based around issues (affordable housing, immigrant rights, anti-gentrification, etc) can be effective. Efforts to rejuvenate the labor movement are also necessary. It would be an absolute breakthrough if a political party was significant enough to get the support of labor unions over Democrats (not talking about the presidency right now).

Aka "We ain't telling you piss-all."

LFPi8ui.jpg

America: "Yuck! I accidentally used salt instead of sugar when I baked this cake."

The Rest of the World: "Then why are you still eating it? Why not throw it out and bake another cake?"

America: "THAT'S NOT HOW WE DO THINGS! WE BAKE A CAKE AT 2PM ON SATURDAYS AND THAT CAN NEVER, EVER CHANGE!"

I heard this in John Oliver's voice.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-trump-russia-james-comey-congress?CMP=twt_gu

"n that earlier hearing, Comey said he would “never comment” on a potential FBI investigation “in an open forum like this”, raising expectations among some attendees of Friday’s briefing that Comey would put the issue to rest in a classified setting.

But according to sources attending the closed-door Friday morning meeting, that was not the case. As such, frustration with Comey was bipartisan and heated, adding to intense pressure on the director of the FBI, whose conduct in the 2016 election itself is now being investigated by an independent US justice department watchdog.

One source in the meeting said Comey would not answer “basic questions” about the FBI’s current investigative activities. The FBI chief was grilled “over and over again”, according to the source, about his standards for acknowledging FBI investigations, with legislators repeatedly bringing up Comey’s dramatic public confirmation that the bureau was revisiting classification issues with Hillary Clinton’s private email server days before the election, as well as his summer press conference announcing that he would not seek indictment."

Is this a real debate? Pence actually has years of political experience and seems to be level-headed and not apt to fly off the handle. This isn't even close.

Mike Pence sucks and is a loon. The country would be in poor shape if we actually had to turn to him to lead the country.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-trump-russia-james-comey-congress?CMP=twt_gu

"n that earlier hearing, Comey said he would “never comment” on a potential FBI investigation “in an open forum like this”, raising expectations among some attendees of Friday’s briefing that Comey would put the issue to rest in a classified setting.

But according to sources attending the closed-door Friday morning meeting, that was not the case. As such, frustration with Comey was bipartisan and heated, adding to intense pressure on the director of the FBI, whose conduct in the 2016 election itself is now being investigated by an independent US justice department watchdog.

One source in the meeting said Comey would not answer “basic questions” about the FBI’s current investigative activities. The FBI chief was grilled “over and over again”, according to the source, about his standards for acknowledging FBI investigations, with legislators repeatedly bringing up Comey’s dramatic public confirmation that the bureau was revisiting classification issues with Hillary Clinton’s private email server days before the election, as well as his summer press conference announcing that he would not seek indictment."

Comey gettin' it from both exits

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Wasserman Schultz confronted Comey about Russian hacking

http://thehill.com/policy/national-...chultz-confronted-comey-about-russian-hacking

The former head of the Democratic National Committee (DNC) confronted FBI Director James Comey on Friday during a confidential briefing on Russian hacking that left many Democrats calling for Comey's scalp, several lawmakers told The Hill.

Rep. Elijah Cummings (Md.), senior Democrat on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, delivered a similar condemnation: "I'm extremely concerned — extremely."

Gutek

http://thehill.com/policy/national-...chultz-confronted-comey-about-russian-hacking

The former head of the Democratic National Committee (DNC) confronted FBI Director James Comey on Friday during a confidential briefing on Russian hacking that left many Democrats calling for Comey’s scalp, several lawmakers told The Hill.

Rep. Elijah Cummings (Md.), senior Democrat on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, delivered a similar condemnation: "I'm extremely concerned — extremely."

What's Comey's fucking endgame here? I just don't understand.

ZOONAMI

The former head of the Democratic National Committee (DNC) confronted FBI Director James Comey on Friday during a confidential briefing on Russian hacking that left many Democrats calling for Comey’s scalp, several lawmakers told The Hill.

Can Obama fire Comey?

If he can, why hasn't he?

jelly

Bet he can't wait for the next 7 days to pass. A very long 7 days.

There must be an investigation if he's not saying anything. He just doesn't want it to leak so it doesn't cause panic before the inauguration. I can only assume Obama opened up the channels so that multiple members of the IC can have adequate information in the event Trump tries to bury it. The IC is likely working around the clock in utmost secrecy to confirm or deny the allegations in the report.

All comin' together, boys.

Nafai1123

Banned
What's the difference?

If I were Obama I would have canned his ass months ago.

The difference is instead of having an idiot in charge who has made some questionable and arguably partisan decisions, we'll have an idiot in charge who is guaranteed to make questionable and partisan decisions.

Just saying, between Comey and whoever Trump picks, I'll take Comey, even if I hate his guts and blame him in part for Hillary losing.

Mully

Just remember guys, if Comey resigns Trump gets to choose his own guy to put in charge of the FBI.

That's Christie's long game. Lol.

As compelling as the memo is, I'm definitely put off by how similar the reactions are in this thread to how Republicans reacted in 2012-2013 to Benghazi.

The difference is there is a lot of circumstantial evidence which, without the memo still leaves a lot of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom