• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PopeReal

Comrade Comey is questionable at best. I mean I prefer him over a pile of dog shit. Barely.

But you guys are right, Trump picks are worse than dog shit.

ZOONAMI

The difference is instead of having an idiot in charge who has made some questionable and arguably partisan decisions, we'll have an idiot in charge who is guaranteed to make questionable and partisan decisions.

Just saying, between Comey and whoever Trump picks, I'll take Comey, even if I hate his guts and blame him in part for Hillary losing.

In part?

He sat on trumps Russia ties for months and kept pushing a false email narrative, publicly.

Fuck him.

He already is 100% trumps guy.

Ultimate vindication would be for trump to can him anyway lol

That's Christie's long game. Lol.

As compelling as the memo is, I'm definitely put off by how similar the reactions are in this thread to how Republicans reacted in 2012-2013 to

The difference is there is a lot of circumstantial evidence which, without the memo still leaves a lot of questions.

I know things are kind of crazy in the world right now, but some of these comments still seem a bit off the handle.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Are you kidding? Every political and investigative journalist will be chasing this story until it's settled on way or another. This is a career defining story, whoever breaks it will be a legend.

That's not even considering foreign governments who really don't want the US to be a Russian puppet.

yeah, this is why it seems if its real we'll find out sooner or latter (assuming its true). hopefully ASAP

Gutek

That's Christie's long game. Lol.

As compelling as the memo is, I'm definitely put off by how similar the reactions are in this thread to how Republicans reacted in 2012-2013 to

The difference is there is a lot of circumstantial evidence which, without the memo still leaves a lot of questions.

The fact that Trump openly asked Russia to "find" Hillary's emails in a press conference should've been enough to warrant an investigation and disqualify him from being president. This all is so much bigger than just that dossier. Trump is unfit, has fascist/authoritarian world views, and shows complete and utter disregard for the democratic process.

I just have a hard time seeing how a guy who was willing to resign in protest of Bush's warrant-less wiretapping program has now turned into a partisan Trump supporter.

Gutek

That's Michele, but it does make me think of Star Wars.

Obama: it's over Trump! I have the high ground!

Trump: You underestimate my power!

and then Trump proceeds to fuck up and get burned

I just want to ask Obama this: Do you honestly believe we should have a peaceful transition of power, even if the successor is a strongman authoritarian with utter disregard for our constitution?

Jan 20

gK4SNu8.gif

There truly is a Simpsons gif for everything.

KHarvey16

The difference is instead of having an idiot in charge who has made some questionable and arguably partisan decisions, we'll have an idiot in charge who is guaranteed to make questionable and partisan decisions.

Just saying, between Comey and whoever Trump picks, I'll take Comey, even if I hate his guts and blame him in part for Hillary losing.

Wait...Trump can just fire Comey himself once he takes office if he wants to replace him. I don't understand this.

There must be an investigation if he's not saying anything. He just doesn't want it to leak so it doesn't cause panic before the inauguration. I can only assume Obama opened up the channels so that multiple members of the IC can have adequate information in the event Trump tries to bury it. The IC is likely working around the clock in utmost secrecy to confirm or deny the allegations in the report.

All comin' together, boys.

That's what I'm thinking as well.

There are too many pieces available for them NOT to be trying to put shit together.

If I were to guess, I would say that they are looking to see if they can first pin something on Flynn and then use Flynn's guilt to get substantial warrants to search everything on Trump's inner circle.

My only worry is that we know there's a pro Trump portion of the FBI. Will they desperately try to undermine the investigation?

I just want to ask Obama this: Do you honestly believe we should have a peaceful transition of power, even if the successor is a strongman authoritarian with utter disregard for our constitution?

Stop assuming that Obama is doing nothing. He just gave a directive to let the NSA share their foreign intercepts with the rest of the intelligence community.

Obama has to be subtle about this or else he'll be accused of blatantly undermining the incoming POTUS.

Nafai1123

Banned
In part?

He sat on trumps Russia ties for months and kept pushing a false email narrative, publicly.

Fuck him.

He already is 100% trumps guy.

Fuck him indeed, I'm just not sure he's 100% Trumps guy, whereas whoever Trump puts in his place will be.

I think Comey's motivation was preventing a landslide mandate victory for Clinton. I do not think that he believed it would get Trump elected, nor do I think that he would willingly jeopardize national security. I mean the very fact that the FBI is investigating the Trump/Russia ties and Comey ain't saying shit to anyone tells you they aren't all Trumpsters.

Wait...Trump can just fire Comey himself once he takes office if he wants to replace him. I don't understand this.

Her certainly can, but that puts the onus of the change on Trump and the increased scrutiny that will go along with it.

Mully

I just have a hard time seeing how a guy who was willing to resign in protest of Bush's warrant-less wiretapping program has now turned into a partisan Trump supporter.

Who knows what happened between Clinton and Comey when she was head of the State Department? They could have butted heads over an investigation, and his press conference and the Weimer emails announcement could have been his way to get back at her.

This is all pure speculation.

Odrion

Banned
i mean if you're going to compare this situation to star wars it's more like the scene in the new hope where obi wan turns off his lightsaber and gets murdered by darth vader

Nafai1123

Banned
Clearly he fears scrutiny.

Lol, I mean I have no delusions about him giving a shit. I'm just saying there will be lots of questions about why he was fired. Trump praised him for the shit he is now being investigated for openly on the stump. Firing him because of his interference with the election is admission that he interfered with the election, delegitimizing Trumps win even more. Trump wants to avoid that.

Vixdean

i mean if you're going to compare this situation to star wars it's more like the scene in the new hope where obi wan turns off his lightsaber and gets murdered by darth vader

Politics isn't Star Wars. The loser doesn't become a benevolent force for good more powerful than before. They're just dead and gone. Forever.

Never thought Trump was gonna be president anything can happen.

He could be the worst President for the next 4 years and then 10 days before the election, something comes out about his opponent that makes the choice difficult again for all those people out there.

This is why predictions are a waste of time. The future is as uncertain as ever.

Odrion

Banned
Politics isn't Star Wars. The loser doesn't become a benevolent force for good more powerful than before. They're just dead and gone. Forever.
obama is still going to be a ghostly guiding voice

except he keeps saying "fuck the rebels" over and over, and some idiot keeps telling you that's just him playing 12th dimensional dejarik

Arkeband

Banned
Stop assuming that Obama is doing nothing. He just gave a directive to let the NSA share their foreign intercepts with the rest of the intelligence community.

Obama expanding the powers of the NSA once again is not a good thing, people. Don't let hate from Trump handwave yet another nail in the coffin for a chance at privacy.

It'd take a pretty big turnaround from here to now for me to think 8 years is happening
Honestly... I think people need to approach this as doing whatever is necessary to make sure it's only 4 years. If we just assume that he won't get reelected, he'll have a greater shot at getting reelected.

That Onion article once again comes to mind.

Obama expanding the powers of the NSA once again is not a good thing, people. Don't let hate from Trump handwave yet another nail in the coffin for a chance at privacy.

Sorry, but if it turns out that NSA Intel takes down Trump, I'm gonna be fucking glad that they spy on everyone.

Honestly... I think people need to approach this as doing whatever is necessary to make sure it's only 4 years. If we just assume that he won't get reelected, he'll have a greater shot at getting reelected.

If anything, I see most people writing 8 years as though re-election is some kind of formality. Possibly because they haven't been alive to see one termers before.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I will take that then being ruled by a Russian puppet government. It isn't like Trump can't do worse to us anyway

It will be worse. People will doubt every piece of news if he gets booted. It is gonna be fucking scary. No matter what it is gonna be a lose-lose but a little winning in the middle.

It's going to be 8 years. People will screw up just like last time.

Negaduck

Everytime I check in these reports and shit feel like the secret bad guy opening to DC has fallen or whatever Gerard butler action movie is next.

Like the plan got foiled right before election day.

What a time to be alive

So, in absence of developments, we return to a debate between "we can't predict anything" and "we can only predict bad things". Also, I don't think the writer of the Onion article takes it to be a rule of thumb.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Bush also had the 9/11 argument.
There was a terrorist attack, he went to war, albeit the wrong country. That's why people voted for him.

Bush at least did relatively well in uniting the country after 9/11. He did an awful job after that with the Iraq War, but by that time, the seeds had already been sown and the Democrats had really weak opposition. There can be no event that would unite the country behind Trump. Nothing will change the doubt that many people already have for him. Even if he managed to stay the entire 4 years, he'd have to somehow improve the Rust Belt situation significantly for people to not become disenchanted with him.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Bush at least did relatively well in uniting the country after 9/11. He did an awful job after that with the Iraq War, but by that time, the seeds had already been sown and the Democrats had really weak opposition. There can be no event that would unite the country behind Trump. Nothing will change the doubt that many people already have for him. Even if he managed to stay the entire 4 years, he'd have to somehow improve the Rust Belt situation significantly for people to not become disenchanted with him.

Step 1. He could let a terrorist attack happen.
Step 2. Go to war with a country.
Step 3. Have Russia help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom