• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, considering neoGaf was in the top (was it?) 3 sites that brought traffick to Clinton's campaign site, is it really out of the realm to consider a few Russian trolls took notice and made accounts here? Jesus what's happened to me 😂

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Well, the very first thing I said was that I was speaking in generalities, so there's no point in championing the fact that I was painting the users of the board in large strokes, I already said that was what I was doing.
Saying you were doing it and being accurate in doing it are two different things.

I disagree with your premise that the forum by and large accepts it as unverifiable and unactionable, and posit that there are many, regardless of whether or not it is specifically the majority, who are calling for him to pay the consequences for treason...
First that's not my premise. My premise is that the forum largely accepts this report as unverified and therefore not actionable at this time. Many are certainly hoping it is verifiable but that's hardly irrational in and of itself. Second you're grossly trying to overstate the number of treason accusations esp. when there are plenty more who remind anyone claiming treason that legal definition of treason in the US would not correspond to Trump's action, if verified as true (sedition would though). It doesn't even need to be treason or sedition for a president to be impeached and most of this forum knows this.

The rest of your post is a bit more rambling to attempt to stitch together enough people as overreacting to justify your original claim. Like people pointing out actual evidence is somehow an irrational thing to try and do in the attempt to verify this report or not. Or Like pointing out that other reports have said similar things about Trump or that Trump himself has said and done things that corroborate parts of these reports is somehow an irrational thing to do.

MUnited83

For you.
I do think we should stop assuming everyone's a paid troll though. His whataboutism is stupid but he could just be deluded. Us assuming they're all Russian trolls kinda makes us look like conspiracy theorists :/
I would have more respect for them if they were paid Russian trolls though. At least they do it to get paid and probably don't believe most of the shit they say.

It takes a special kind of idiot to do it for free.

That protest is actually being planned by me
so I can capture as many Canadians as humanly possible

Evil+genie+he+doesn+t+like+canadian+bacon_a45570_4890976.jpg

Link

The Autumn Wind
guys im really worried about the current state of critical thinking in America

why can't people just accept Trump? We're all becoming Trump Truthers!!

You've got to be kidding. I will never accept the man and what he stands for. I respect the Presidency, I don't respect him, nor do I respect the type of people he surrounds himself with. Sure, in the process of trying to miraculously change, or cope with, the fact that this man won the Presidency, we may go a little too far in some of our attempts to reject not only him, but his agenda. However, even accounting for the percentage of time in which all of this happens, there are many legitimate reasons to not accept the man and to be suspicious of his ties to Russia, the degree of influence that country may have over him, and really stop to consider just what his true objectives might be.

I haven't bothered with cable news since the election, so somebody fill me in. Does CNN still pay Trump surrogates to be on every panel and spew talking points that are treated as legitimate arguments? Because if so, whatever statement they put out means fuck all. They brought all this on themselves.

I agree totally with this view. CNN as an organization has absolutely no credibility in my eyes because of things such as this. I haven't been watching them as a channel very much, if at all, ever since they cut away from coverage about President Obama, when he was first elected, to show an entire speech where Rush Limbaugh's main message was basically that he wants President Obama to fail. It was disgusting to see them legitimizing him, as if he were anyone actually deserving of such a national spotlight.

For people who do watch CNN, do they even bother to occasionally reinforce to viewers who these people are, and why their view on things are not to be taken at face value, because they have a vested interest in things turning out a certain way for a particular person or candidate? Not like if I hear a good answer I'll all of a sudden start taking them more seriously again, but I will at least respect the fact that they do that much.

I haven't bothered with cable news since the election, so somebody fill me in. Does CNN still pay Trump surrogates to be on every panel and spew talking points that are treated as legitimate arguments? Because if so, whatever statement they put out means fuck all. They brought all this on themselves.

Yes they do. It's a joke. They even have Rick Santorum on there as a new one now.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Just saw Hidden Figures with my wife. Beyond typical thoughts about the movie, it really highlighted how as a nation, we were near 100% united for our country, and now it really feels like 45% are oblivious about the high likelihood that our intelligence and security is completely compromised because of a sports fan application to politics.

I really don't believe the state of things right now. Really Russia is onto something in that if minds can be fooled so egregiously in ww2, how do you do it today?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
What did Spicer say to warrant that response from CNN?
Spicer said this yesterday on Fox News: "The idea that he took no responsibility for his behavior was highly unacceptable and inappropriate, and he does owe us and his fellow members of the press corps an apology for his behavior."

Spicer said this yesterday on Fox News: "The idea that he took no responsibility for his behavior was highly unacceptable and inappropriate, and he does owe us and his fellow members of the press corps an apology for his behavior."
Jeez what an infantile spokesperson. Great response from CNN.

Trouble

Banned

Was he talking about Trump?

Kyzer

Banned
Saying you were doing it and being accurate in doing it are two different things.

First that's not my premise. My premise is that the forum largely accepts this report as unverified and therefore not actionable at this time. Many are certainly hoping it is verifiable but that's hardly irrational in and of itself. Second you're grossly trying to overstate the number of treason accusations esp. when there are plenty more who remind anyone claiming treason that legal definition of treason in the US would not correspond to Trump's action, if verified as true (sedition would though). It doesn't even need to be treason or sedition for a president to be impeached and most of this forum knows this.

The rest of your post is a bit more rambling to attempt to stitch together enough people as overreacting to justify your original claim. Like people pointing out actual evidence is somehow an irrational thing to try and do in the attempt to verify this report or not. Or Like pointing out that other reports have said similar things about Trump or that Trump himself has said and done things that corroborate parts of these reports is somehow an irrational thing to do.

It seems like youre sidestepping any sort of compromise or attempt at understanding or empathizing with my argument for the sake of continuing to argue so whats the point. Do you not get what im saying or are you simply stating something in tandem with it? Is this entire argument simply whether or not there are a large number of people specificially claiming this report to be absolutely unequivocally real? You win, no one is saying that.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Guys, I'm going to DC this week to protest. Took the day off work. Can someone link me to a good summary article detailing the possible Trump/Russia ties? I'm going to print it out/make copies and leave it for my classes to read and answer questions about for Friday. These are high schoolers, btw. Thanks in advance.

Just saw Hidden Figures with my wife. Beyond typical thoughts about the movie, it really highlighted how as a nation, we were near 100% united for our country, and now it really feels like 45% are oblivious about the high likelihood that our intelligence and security is completely compromised because of a sports fan application to politics.

I really don't believe the state of things right now. Really Russia is onto something in that if minds can be fooled so egregiously in ww2, how do you do it today?

I just watched it also. Fantastic movie! How awesome was "that scene?"

When Costner asked her why she's always not where he wants her to be?

Didn't they already confirm that it was two different people?
They said it was a different Cohen, but the odds of two Cohen's with the exact same birthday being in the same general region of the world seems way too suspect.

If it was a different passport(like the twitter suggests) it could be something.

I'm not getting my hopes up though.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
They said it was a different Cohen, but the odds of two Cohen's with the exact same birthday being in the same general region of the world seems way too suspect.

If it was a different passport(like the twitter suggests) it could be something.

I'm not getting my hopes up though.

Yeah, the tweet is referencing known info.. a Michael Cohen DID travel to Prague on a foreign passport.. and this Cohen has the same birthday as Trump's Cohen.

The thing is the dates Cohen says he was in the US DO leave a gap.. and the chances there's 2 Cohen's with the same birthday tied to Prague is interesting...

but then again it's not a completely uncommon name and there could be 2 different guys.. and the memoes could have gotten intel that a Michael Cohen went to Prague and they just didn't know it wasn't Trump's Cohen.. so again this might not be sinister at all.. but just bad intel in the memos as far as who the person was at what they did there.

RDreamer

Yeah, the tweet is referencing known info.. a Michael Cohen DID travel to Prague on a foreign passport.. and this Cohen has the same birthday as Trump's Cohen.

The thing is the dates Cohen says he was in the US DO leave a gap.. and the chances there's 2 Cohen's with the same birthday tied to Prague is interesting...

but then again it's not a completely uncommon name and there could be 2 different guys.. and the memoes could have gotten intel that a Michael Cohen went to Prague and they just didn't know it wasn't Trump's Cohen.. so again this might not be sinister at all.. but just bad intel in the memos as far as who the person was at what they did there.

The Michael Cohen thing proves that Steele (obviously) wasn't pulling shit out of his ass. The chances of the rest of the info being untrue and yet this close to the truth is almost nil. To me the fact that there really was a Michael Cohen with the same birthday shows that at least some of the stuff in the Dossier is true.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
The Michael Cohen thing proves that Steele (obviously) wasn't pulling shit out of his ass. The chances of the rest of the info being untrue and yet this close to the truth is almost nil. To me the fact that there really was a Michael Cohen with the same birthday shows that at least some of the stuff in the Dossier is true.

Oh, I'm sure some of it is. Just saying it's a lot of stuff that is VERY hard to verify which is why it's been sat on for so long.. it was only brought to light because the US IC formally admitted to it being a thing.

Guy.brush

I mean we knew the same name and same birthday thing

I thought it was same birth year, but different date before.

The news that it was two Michael Cohen's came very fast after the dossier got public and Michael Cohen had twittered a picture of the front cover of his US passport as proof he had not been in Prague.
Can't remember them ever saying anything about having same identical day and month on top of same birth year.
Something smells fishy.

Xtyle

Those clowns. What do they know about apology.

Ac30

That was already discovered when the dossier was made public by Buzzfeed and they dismissed it because he showed his passport as proof that wasn't there...easy to fake though, right?

He literally showed the front of his passport, and he was in Italy in July - could have just taken the train.

Then again the burden of proof is not on him.

The news that it was two Michael Cohen's came very fast after the dossier got public and Michael Cohen had twittered a picture of the front cover of his US passport as proof he had not been in Prague.
Can't remember them ever saying anything about having same identical day and month on top of same birth year.
Something smells fishy.

If the birther movement could be dragged out as fucking long and hard as it was, I refuse to believe any 'proof' that disproves Christopher Steele's dossier.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It seems like youre sidestepping any sort of compromise or attempt at understanding or empathizing with my argument for the sake of continuing to argue so whats the point. Do you not get what im saying or are you simply stating something in tandem with it? Is this entire argument simply whether or not there are a large number of people specificially claiming this report to be absolutely unequivocally real? You win, no one is saying that.
Sidestep? I'm not the one who decided to criticize a large cross-section of this forum over unsubstantiated claims by making unsubstantiated claims themself. I'm not really sure what there is to "empathize" about in that sort of scenario.

Something smells fishy.

The thing, EU is free travel from country to country. He was in Italy at the time, which means he could have easily traveled to Prague during the dates without it being on the passport.

Xtyle

Something smells fishy.

Front of passport as proof..this is fishy and WTF, whether it is true or not, are they playing people like idiots with that proof.

ZOONAMI

I don't think we can trust random twitter guy without some receipts.

Jake trapper CNN said us official said cohen was different cohen with same birth year.

If there is anything to this twitter post nothing was ever said about exact same birth date.

Even if meeting didn't happen in Prague it may have happened at a different time and place, as Steele explicitly pointed out his confidence was low on date and location of meeting.

Also this disproves nothing else in the dossier.

It was also strange how quickly trump camp zeroed in on that and posted a pic of the front of a passport, which proves nothing, and at the press conference they brought up the passport again, which even the inside of would prove nothing.

Seemed like hey what can we quickly cling onto that dumb people will buy and just agree with us that this is fake (even though many things in the dossier are real).

Mully

The Cohen stuff was considered to be of low credibility in the dossier, I really doubt Cohen was in Prague with an Israeli passport with his name and birthday on it. I don't care if you're a Trump campaign member or not, no one is that stupid.

The discussion from the last few pages really comes off as a screenshot from AboveTopSecret. Let the professionals investigate it. This is not going to get truly solved for months/years. Just know that the information we have right is circumstantially compelling enough for major news outlets and the Western intelligence community to investigate it seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom