• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

smisk

Jesus christ this is insane, if true. Lets hope it results in him being impeached. I don't think anyone can be an effective leader if another country has dirt on them.

Wait, former British intelligence officer doing oppo research for Republicans?

This is the thing Mother Jones was reporting on back in October, a little over a week before the election:

And a former senior intelligence officer for a Western country who specialized in Russian counterintelligence tells Mother Jones that in recent months he provided the bureau with memos, based on his recent interactions with Russian sources, contending the Russian government has for years tried to co-opt and assist Trump—and that the FBI requested more information from him.

In June, the former Western intelligence officer—who spent almost two decades on Russian intelligence matters and who now works with a US firm that gathers information on Russia for corporate clients—was assigned the task of researching Trump's dealings in Russia and elsewhere, according to the former spy and his associates in this American firm. This was for an opposition research project originally financed by a Republican client critical of the celebrity mogul. (Before the former spy was retained, the project's financing switched to a client allied with Democrats.) "It started off as a fairly general inquiry," says the former spook, who asks not to be identified. But when he dug into Trump, he notes, he came across troubling information indicating connections between Trump and the Russian government. According to his sources, he says, "there was an established exchange of information between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin of mutual benefit."

This was, the former spy remarks, "an extraordinary situation." He regularly consults with US government agencies on Russian matters, and near the start of July on his own initiative—without the permission of the US company that hired him—he sent a report he had written for that firm to a contact at the FBI, according to the former intelligence officer and his American associates, who asked not to be identified. (He declines to identify the FBI contact.) The former spy says he concluded that the information he had collected on Trump was "sufficiently serious" to share with the FBI.

Mother Jones has reviewed that report and other memos this former spy wrote. The first memo, based on the former intelligence officer's conversations with Russian sources, noted, "Russian regime has been cultivating, supporting and assisting TRUMP for at least 5 years. Aim, endorsed by PUTIN, has been to encourage splits and divisions in western alliance." It maintained that Trump "and his inner circle have accepted a regular flow of intelligence from the Kremlin, including on his Democratic and other political rivals." It claimed that Russian intelligence had "compromised" Trump during his visits to Moscow and could "blackmail him." It also reported that Russian intelligence had compiled a dossier on Hillary Clinton based on "bugged conversations she had on various visits to Russia and intercepted phone calls."

The former intelligence officer says the response from the FBI was "shock and horror." The FBI, after receiving the first memo, did not immediately request additional material, according to the former intelligence officer and his American associates. Yet in August, they say, the FBI asked him for all information in his possession and for him to explain how the material had been gathered and to identify his sources. The former spy forwarded to the bureau several memos—some of which referred to members of Trump's inner circle. After that point, he continued to share information with the FBI. "It's quite clear there was or is a pretty substantial inquiry going on," he says.

guek

Banned
FWIW 've read rumors that Russians videotaped Trump doing bad things on his many trips to Russia.

Doesn't mean anything except this is standard KGB procedure so it's believable.

They tried with Clinton as well but she was warned in advance that everything will be monitored.
You'd have to be an idiot to assume you weren't being recorded at all times as a prominent foreign figure in Russia. I mean, you'd have to be incompetent, a real boob, a-

Oh.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
lpEDArsl.png

If he's been in contact the whole election cycle, or even on and off, it's more than just light treason.

Yea, but it never picked up traction.

Briarios

What a precedent that would be. Our own intelligence community, agencies, working against the will of the voter to save the country from a compromised president elect.

It's hard to work against the will of the voter when the majority of voters voted AGAINST him. The will of the voters was for Clinton; the vote of the electoral coege was for Trump.

Jeremy

He may not have known until after the election.

I think the point Comey knew was after he released the memo regarding the "discovered" emails but before he publicly agreed that there was some interference, so probably about a gap of 5 days? I may be remembering incorrectly but he backed off hardcore shortly after the memo. If this article is correct and something is afoot, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody drug his ass to the side and said, "well... here's what we actually know."

At this point, who isn't numb at all? It's thier strategy and it's working. You can only get outraged so much. The only thing stopping this train is the saying 'death by a thousand papercuts'. In this case it might take millions.

tbm24

Unless the CIA comes forward and reveals all their sources and all their proof, nothing will happen.

'SAYING' this stuff happened is pointless. They're going to have to name names and get people on record. THEN, they'll have to put them on trial, and get them to contradict themselves against physical evidence - OR- confess for lesser punishment.

Otherwise, this will be looked at as nothing but a circumstantial smear campaign, which is exactly what I expect Trump to Tweet about at 3AM tonight.
Pretty sure if the CIA and FBI come into agreement that this is confirmed, arrests will be made.

Zophar

My tinfoil hat is now wondering if Trump's effort to sabotage our Chinese relationships is due to influence from his Russian handlers.

But, nah, that's just paranoia... isn't it?

I think the two are definitely related. Trade war between China and the USA benefits neither - but it does allow another certain major Asian nation to expand its sphere of influence.

Boke1879

Trump is too dumb to "work with the russians". Dude just got played me thinks.

This is what I think.

Russia has something on Trump. What that is? IDK. Trump is way too gung ho to praise Putin any chance he gets.

Trumps campaign had way too many ties to the Kremlin. Trump was ok with Russia and Wikileaks doing the dirty work.

This is why you don't trust any outside influence. Because more than likely they have something on and the minute you deviate from them. They go from helping you to actively working against you.

If Russia has something on Trump that's fucking dangerous.

blackw0lf

While pretty explosive, in fairness to Trump*, this is pretty vague and more in the vain of "raises questions" rather than strong proof.

Still, it should almost certainly be investigated and Trump needs to be scrutinized heavily on this.

*not that he deserves being treated fairly.

This guy has been posting public info going back decades about Trump and ties to Russia etc.

He just posted this:

4uivfuy.jpg

You can look at his timeline. Lots of info about Trump ties to organized crime.

kamakazi5

Nope, elections don't work like that. If Trump were to resign/be impeached, Pence would become president.

Even if he were part of this? I can't imagine it's just Trump sitting in a dark room by himself speaking with Russia. There had to be some other people on the team involved.

Hypothetically, what would happen in this case prior to inauguration? Obviously, this isn't something even remotely likely but I'm still curious as to what would happen. After inauguration everything is over and they just go down the line of succession.

Wow, This is crazy if they were blackmailing him all that time.

It's obvious they were. You don't say, we're going to make our NATO friends pay their fair share or make them back out of the treaty when Russia is knocking on their door. Trump has been a puppet all along. It's ridiculous no one, politics or press, has called him out on being a puppet. It's obvious.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Surely at this point the GOP must act and move to impeach Trump immediately, I am sure Pence taking his place would satisfy them.

Now of course they will close ranks, reiterate their support for Trump and jam their fingers in their ears.

Guevara

I know I always say "it doesn't matter", but... it doesn't matter.

Maybe Trump can be the First Treasonous President.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Surely at this point the GOP must act and move to impeach Trump immediately, I am sure Pence taking his place would satisfy them.

Now of course they will close ranks, reiterate their support for Trump and jam their fingers in their ears.

pence should be ineligible because he was part of the campaign

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So was the situation:

The Russians had compromising info on Trump, made him do their bidding.

The CIA and FBI knew that the Russians had compromising info on Trump, so they in turn tried to use that against Trump to do THEIR bidding.

And now the whole thing is falling apart because Trump can't do both their biddings?

ultron87

For this to actually take him down, wouldn't they need to prove that he actually was making decisions per Russian wishes because of what they had on him?

Joeku

It's obvious they were. You don't say, we're going to make our NATO friends pay their fair share or make them back out of the treaty when Russia is knocking on their door. Trump has been a puppet all along. It's ridiculous no one, politics or press, has called him out on being a puppet. It's obvious.

FWIW, Hilllary did.

ugh. we are actually in a scenario where the republican party impeaching him and sticking us with president pence is the less-awful potential future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom