• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

linkboy

I didn't realize succession was in place prior to being sworn in. He's not technically president so I would not have thought that was the case.

It's not due to him, it's the general order, no matter who is president. This is how it currently breaks down.

1 Vice President Joe Biden (D)
2 Speaker of the House of Representatives Paul Ryan (R)
3 President pro tempore of the Senate Orrin Hatch (R)
4 Secretary of State John Kerry (D)
5 Secretary of the Treasury Jack Lew (D)
6 Secretary of Defense Ash Carter (D)
7 Attorney General Loretta Lynch (D)
— Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell (D)[a]
8 Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack (D)
9 Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker (D)
10 Secretary of Labor Tom Perez (D)
11 Secretary of Health and Human Services Sylvia Mathews Burwell (D)
12 Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Julián Castro (D)
13 Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx (D)
14 Secretary of Energy Ernest Moniz (D)
15 Secretary of Education John King (D)
16 Secretary of Veterans Affairs Bob McDonald (R)
17 Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson (D)

Sally Jewell was born in London and thus isn't a natural born citizen, so she isn't eligible for the office, which is why she's skipped.

Patryn

I mean, at a bare minimum we'd have to hold another election almost immediately in that scenario.

Under what authority? Again, the succession is clearly laid out and holding another election would be a violation of a host of laws, most notably the Constitution.

cyba89

With all the shit he said and did during the campaign what the hell would be comprimising for a Donald J. Trump?

brau

Trump is going to be president, DeVos will destroy public schools, Pruitt destroys the EPA, Tillerson will lift sanctions on Russia, Polio is going to return to the US, and less people will have health care.

So nothing really will change? even if this gets confirmed?

Hahaha, you're joking, right?

Nothing will come of this.

I dunno.. these claims seem to be pretty serious. The implications of this is true are pretty big as well. If all of this is confirmed then its easy to justify something happening. What? and how ? i have no idea. But if this is just waived after being confirmed would be probably just as bad as the next 8 years. no?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm sure vlad would stay out of that one

What other choice is there?

Under what authority? Again, the succession is clearly laid out and holding another election would be a violation of a host of laws, most notably the Constitution.

Well, if Trump is arrested on treason before getting elected then Pence will never have taken office so Ryan will take control. How well do you think that's going to go over given no one voted for him?

Demy

This is treason, right? I'm really asking. I don't know the specific details on how we lawfully define it.

SRG01

I don't even know what would happen if the president-elect got arrested. It's unthinkable. Faith in the American democratic system would at minimum be torpedoed not just in America but around the world. I don't mean some abstract "oh no how could American democracy elect that terrible man" way, I mean arresting the opposition to stop them getting into government (regardless of whether or not there are valid reasons behind it) looks superficially like the intelligence organizations playing kingmaker as it might in any two bit dictatorship. The American right will further burrow into conspiratorial thinking, demand a purge of the intelligence apparatus and in a worst case scenario, start them down the path where they become unwilling to work inside of the democratic system, wishing to take control through other means.

This was probably the game plan all along: If Trump stays on, American power goes down. If Trump goes down, American power goes down too.

I mean, at a bare minimum we'd have to hold another election almost immediately in that scenario.

Not really. Pence just becomes president. What I'm fuzzy on is whether or not Ryan becomes VP.

kamakazi5

succession is based on position. it's not like they get to make up their own.

I understand the succession part, I just didn't realize it was in place before being sworn in as the actual president.

Edit: I must be wording things terribly so I apologize. Succession is in place right now for the current President (Obama). My main question was if, hypothetically, Trump and Pence both resigned right this moment (before inaugration) then what would happen? Paul Ryan would automatically be sworn in as president come Jan 20?

I don't even know what would happen if the president-elect got arrested. It's unthinkable. Faith in the American democratic system would at minimum be torpedoed not just in America but around the world. I don't mean some abstract "oh no how could American democracy elect that terrible man" way, I mean arresting the opposition to stop them getting into government (regardless of whether or not there are valid reasons behind it) looks superficially like the intelligence organizations playing kingmaker as it might in any two bit dictatorship. The American right will further burrow into conspiratorial thinking, demand a purge of the intelligence apparatus and in a worst case scenario, start them down the path where they become unwilling to work inside of the democratic system, wishing to take control through other means.

But, in the end, if the President-Elect is 100% confirmed to be compromised and won't step down on his own, it has to be done. We can't have that. I don't know what the middle ground is, though, if there is any. What we really need is a new election, but ultimately, it won't happen, and I don't think it would really sidestep this issue. If this is proven, and something ends up having to be done, it's a tight spot. And that may very well have been Putin's plan in the end. The whole damn thing was so fucking transparent, it almost seems flaunted in a lot of ways.

Chumley

Banned
Oh my god. Either way Putin won.

Now this will happen for real

russia-soviet-union-simpsons-laughing-reaction-1380821531m.gif

tbm24

Sure, I can see a scenario where this all plays out. I'd like to think this whole thing would play out publically in courts with trump and co being unable to successfully defend themselves along with who knows what retaliation against Russia. Conspiracies would run wild either way.

WedgeX

Banned
Its been nice having a country.

If this led to Trump's immediate impeachment some faith might be restored.

But after last year?

I have zero hope.

ezekial45

Banned
Do liberals actually want president Pence?

There is the argument that the GOP will be in a much weaker position under Pence than Trump. Trump has a rabid and dedicated following, and he's able to attract a lot of attention with everything he does. Pence does not have that, and if we were to take on the Presidency, much of Trump's base would not follow him.

With that said, he's a far more conservative individual and knows the game more than Trump, which makes him just as dangerous. So really, this is more of a pick your poison type situation.

Patryn

Not really. Pence just becomes president. What I'm fuzzy on is whether or not Ryan becomes VP.

He does not. The position remains open until a new Vice President is confirmed by the Senate.

Look at what happened when Spiro Agnew, Nixon's VP, resigned prior to Nixon resigning, leading to the appointment of Gerald Ford, who would late become president when Nixon resigned.

Alucrid

Banned
I understand the succession part, I just didn't realize it was in place before being sworn in as the actual president.

oh, you mean if the president elect was removed before inauguration? yeah no idea how that would work. would be one for the books.

sphagnum

Banned
This was probably the game plan all along: If Trump stays on, American power goes down. If Trump goes down, American power goes down too.

I believe Pence would get to pick the VP, wouldn't he? I don't think everyone bumps up one point in the chain just because one spot opens.

Kathian

Banned
What is great news for Americans in all the is that clearly people not happy with Trumps post-briefing tweets and claims are now briefing against him in the press and leaking.

FUCK EVERYTHING. Great timing.

Thanks, Obama.

Thanks, Comey.

Holy hell.

(initial reaction to excerpts, I reserve the right to retract after reading it in full...)

Veelk

Banned
At some point, I expect a news story of Trump having kissed Putin's ring godfather style, and people will still see no reason to not keep him as president.

It's really comedic at this point. Not that it wasn't before, but still. At some point, he's straight up going to commit actual treason and people will go "how could we have seen this coming?!"

Sounds like Putin's checkmate

Horns

Exactly what Russia wants to happen. To the day I die I will blame stupid people for voting for Trump. How stupid could they be?

Syncytia

There is the argument that the GOP will be in a much weaker position under Pence than Trump. Trump has a rabid and dedicated following, and he's able to attract a lot of attention with everything he does. Pence does not have that, and if we were to take on the Presidency, much of Trump's base would not follow him.

With that said, he's a far more conservative individual and knows the game more than Trump, which makes him just as dangerous. So really, this is more of a pick your poison type situation.

Interesting scenario is what would happen in the 2020 election. If things are going decent I don't see the establishment GOP trying to primary him but surely there will be a lot of noise from the alt-right. And Pence was always kind of awkward in a way... well I guess very stiff. I don't think he's generally likable enough to run up against a decent Democrat opponent.

Edit: Also, this chaos you guys are talking about probably wouldn't happen. If anything happens Trump isn't getting arrested before he's impeached. Trump will be out, Pence will be Pres and if there's anything to prosecute Trump on, that will happen after.

Zophar

Trump voluntarily stepping down or declining to assume office would mitigate a lot of this, though. Faith would be shaken but it wouldn't look overtly like anti-democratic shenanigans.

Obama and co. are playing things business like usual because they know they can't do anything else; they have to trust that if this indeed a threat to the nation it has to be resolved organically, either by the GOP obeying the impeachment process or through Trump retracting his own election.

SRG01

He does not. The position remains open until a new Vice President is confirmed by the Senate.

Look at what happened when Spiro Agnew, Nixon's VP, resigned prior to Nixon resigning, leading to the appointment of Gerald Ford, who would late become president when Nixon resigned.

Oh right, I momentarily forgot about Ford, thanks!

Its been nice having a country.

If this led to Trump's immediate impeachment some faith might be restored.

But after last year?

I have zero hope.

That's why this breaking news is so important. If arrests for treason were to be made, it has be done before inauguration. Otherwise, the chances of Trump being impeached are next to none... unless the intelligence apparatus want to arrest an actual sitting president.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom