• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

Man if this shit turns out to be wrong or without a hint of proof it'll just solidify Trumps reign of stupidity and his followers will trust the crooked media even less (if that's even possible anymore).

You expect the Birther guy to need solidification for his actions? Did I read this correctly?

If trump honest to god..... if this turned out to be true. 2 things have to happen
1. He can't be president, and this step has to happen for step 2
2. I will become a religious man and I will literally have children just so I can tell them this story.

JackDT

BuzzFeed is just saying, "This is a report being passed around."

A dossier, compiled by a person who has claimed to be a former British intelligence official, alleges Russia has compromising information on Trump. The allegations are unverified, and the report contains errors.

Can you really sue over that?

Chumley

Banned
Nothing will change. Buzzfeed will be sued. They should have waited for the claims to be substantiated.

I don't think Buzzfeed would risk cratering the journalism arm of their website without knowing there's other stuff yet to drop backing them up. There's more going on.

Mawnster

Always the same defeatist attitude.
Nothing will change. Nothing will change. Nothing will change...

giphy.gif

Always the same defeatist attitude.
Nothing will change. Nothing will change. Nothing will change...

giphy.gif
It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy once the defeatist shit starts kicking in. That's how the right keeps strong, they don't stick their heads under the Earth when they lose. They raise Hell no matter what their situation is and that gets them onto news outlets, which results in public recognition. This then leads to them gaining a platform where they'll stay relevant and find an audience. Time for the left to start energizing themselves and making noise

He'll probably get away with it because it's really difficult to verify things like that report and you can't arrest/impeach a president with that.

Also polygraph tests are bullshit, come on.

Very true, but the upside is that I wouldn't be surprised if the FBI or CIA opens an investigation of their own and that would probably be the best thing to come out of this.

You expect the Birther guy to need solidification for his actions? Did I read this correctly?

No he doesn't need it but it would solidify his "media is the devil, establishment wants to bring me (the champion of the 'merican people) down, we need to drain the swamp yaddayadda stance"

Haunted

Allegations of treason (this is what this basically amounts to) are too big and too important to be made from the unverified claims of an anonymous source (especially if the source is a foreign agency, even if it's an allied one).

This will be fairly difficult to prove. Here's hoping it's big enough to start a fire.

CNN's article on this story also includes a solid video that goes into the background of the report and its sources, distribution and timeline here.

One tidbit I got from it is that the former MI-6 agent and his sources for the report have already been vetted by the FBI. And that it originated in Trump opposition research initiated by both Republicans and Democrats.

Also, McCain didn't receive this information until after the election. Harry Reid had already had this information and made a big stink about it in October publicly demanding FBI Director Comey make these allegations known to the voters before the election.

Its a good watch to see why this report is making headlines now, and why the heads of all of the intelligence agencies are taking it seriously.

Edit: Mark Armbinder of USA Today also tweeted that the 35 page dossier (that Buzzfeed released) is not the only source of information used in the two page summary provided to Obama, Trump and the Gang of Eight (the senior leaders of Congress for both parties).

Now we know why Trump wants to gut the NSA and CIA. Hopefully something comes of this, but I doubt it. With partisan politics, republicans don't care what Trump does as long as he keeps them in office.

mo60

Isn't this enough to arrest him? For something? Anything? How is this happening?

There is not enough solid evidence yet to arrest or impeach him. If a lot of what is in that 35 page document is true trump is probably not going to be president for long.

CNN's article on this story also includes a solid video that goes into the background of the report and its sources, distribution and timeline here.

One tidbit I got from it is that the former MI-6 agent and his sources for the report have already been vetted by the FBI. And that it originated in Trump opposition research initiated by both Republicans and Democrats.

Also, McCain didn't receive this information until after the election. Harry Reid had already had this information and made a big stink about it in October publicly demanding FBI Director Comey to make these allegations available to the voters before the election.

Its a good watch to see why this report is making headlines now, and why the heads of all of the intelligence agencies are taking it seriously.

Edit: Mark Armbinder of USA Today also tweeted that the 35 page dossier (that Buzzfeed released) is not the only source of information used in the two page summary provided to Obama, Trump and the Gang of Eight (the senior leaders of Congress for both parties).

So there is more to this story?

Kathian

Banned
There is not enough solid evidence yet to arrest or impeach him. If a lot of what is in that 35 page document is true trump is probably not going to be president for long.

Summary was on general Russian compromise efforts. Says so in the tweets so this was just included as part of that.

Oersted

No he doesn't need it but it would solidify his "media is the devil, establishment wants to bring me (the champion of the 'merican people) down, we need to drain the swamp yaddayadda stance"

He is already doing with a fakenews source. He and his plattform don't need truth and reality. They run on lies.

Sure looks that way.

Summary was on general Russian compromise efforts. Says so in the tweets so this was just included as part of that.
According to the CNN video I posted above, the two page summary with all the bombshells was an addendum, not included in the core briefing on Russian interference in the election. That larger report was widely distributed, but the summary was kept close to the chest and only provided to the Gang of Eight, POTUS and PEEOTUS because it was considered too sensitive.

spekkeh

Banned

The Republican controlled senate will never impeach Trump. The damage done to the party if they admit they would get a Russian crony in the White House is exponentially larger than when they waffle about a political process and leave the actual impeachment hanging.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Now we know why Trump wants to gut the NSA and CIA. Hopefully something comes of this, but I doubt it. With partisan politics, republicans don't care what Trump does as long as he keeps them in office.

Deliberately provoking intelligence agencies seem like such a counterintuitive thing to do if you want people not to know your secrets, lol.

You know who else liked having women piss on him?

Adolf Hitler.

People have their kinks and fetishes but this is just one thing I don't understand >____< Just why?

Anyways, the report didn't say the women pissed on him, right? But rather on the bed used by Obama and Michelle? Ewwwwwwwwwwwww regardless if that's true >_________________________<

The Republican controlled senate will never impeach Trump. The damage done to the party if they admit they would get a Russian crony in the White House is exponentially larger than when they waffle about a political process and leave the actual impeachment hanging.

Don't be so sure about that. Trump is unique in that he is most probably hated in equal measure by both Republicans and Democrats (well, okay, the latter more than the former, but still.) Many in the Republicans party would be more than glad to arrange his downfall, I imagine, especially if they can make it so that it's the fault of the Russians and not them.

They don't need to admit it, if any of it is confirmed the damage is already done, the fact that there's a lot of confidence in this report and everyone is running with it means the cracks will start to show. McCain especially is a big player in this along with many other Republicans disliking Trump. This gives them an opportunity to drop Trump and his fanatics and move the party back a bit by denouncing Trump and his crazies.

Chumley

Banned

McCain will make sure it happens. There's nothing he hates more than Putin.

mo60

I don't expect republicans to impeach the guy anytime soon unless incriminating evidence is found. I do expect this russia story to haunt trump and his administration for the next four years or so.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
You know who else liked having women piss on him?

Adolf Hitler.

Actually, history knows very little about Hitler's sexuality, apart from the fact that he was (or pretended to be) a prude. Stories about his alleged sexual deviances are not based on any historical evidence. (Not that I really care, and it's also off-topic, but I read a biography of Hitler recently which discussed this topic.)

faisal233

how many GOP senators are needed to pass an impeachment vote (assuming 100% of everyone else is in favor)?

A majority of the members of the House must vote for these charges in order to impeach the president. After the charges of misconduct are filed, the Senate has the power to try impeachment cases like a court. Two-thirds of the senators must vote for conviction.

Let's just retire the word "never" for awhile. Let's see how bad this gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom