• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how the American people will handle the next four or eight years, given that one side of the populace will deny the president his basic legitimacy (in addition to all the other problems this man has), while the other side will see this as a conspiracy. How can you even possibly hope to have a functioning political culture and discourse in this situation.

The same way we have the last 8 years.

I wonder how the American people will handle the next four or eight years, given that one side of the populace will deny the president his basic legitimacy (in addition to all the other problems this man has), while the other side will see this as a conspiracy. How can you even possibly hope to have a functioning political culture and discourse in this situation.
This is Putin's goal, and he has won.

Jobbs

Banned

We just went through this with Obama. A lot of the GOP base didn't consider him legitimate and the republicans in congress were only set on obstructing any and everything he wanted to do regardless of merit.

Republicans control everything for now, so I guess the best we can hope for is they own and pay for all the damage they cause (though with their own base it's hopeless, they'll still blame Obama somehow).

Nodnol

You know the craziest part of this entire rollercoaster?

Watching so many people endorse Trump with their votes, whilst so many people have turned a blind eye or sat on information and let it all carry on. It's snowballed to a point where I don't know what the fuck is going on anymore.

There's a tremendous irony to all this, in the fact that everything the USA is meant to represent is being utterly tarnished by someone who wants to "Make America Great Again".

It's like a bad fanfic based around Jack Ryan. Only it's real. I find it phenomenal that these sort of allegations can be made and it's not thoroughly looked into. It should be the most American of Americanisms to want to get to the facts. If Trump gets into office, you've kinda got to ask "what's the point?".

I feel sorry for the average American, much like the average Brit like me, or average European, that are sat scratching their heads, feeling dejected, thinking "what the fuck is going on?".

Oersted

We just went through this with Obama. A lot of the GOP base didn't consider him legitimate and the republicans in congress were only set on obstructing any and everything he wanted to do regardless of merit.

Republicans control everything for now, so I guess the best we can hope for is they own and pay for all the damage they cause (though with their own base it's hopeless, they'll still blame Obama somehow).

More People are a bit more positive towards Obama than Trump. A bit more people.

preta

It was a report commissioned by Democrats and later on also by some Republicans. Many people didn't want Trump to ascend to presidency on both sides.

No, I meant, do we know any info about the middleman between the ex-MI6 agent and McCain? Or is "an intermediary from a western allied state" (from the Guardian article) all we have?

Forkball

Honestly will this information change anything? Trump supporters won't turn on him for this and will circumnavigate the globe via backpedalling if they have to.

I've been listening to NPR/BBC News at work and the story has gone from the 4th thing vaguely mentioned to the headline story in the past 5 hours. They are now opening the hour with a 5 minute blurb saying Russia is denying it and avoiding talking about the details. Obama's farewell speech has slipped from first mention to second. I imagine by the time the morning news shows start this story is going to be the headline with 10+ minutes coverage.

Uhyve

Granted, we can't verify the document but the way they have swarmed Twitter declaring it 'fake news' is incredible.
Yeah, they're just trying to lend legitimacy to their usual conspiratorial claims by labeling it with labels created by the sane/left. I tried not to be depressed by this obvious reaction from the "right" earlier in the thread, didn't work. Urgh.

Chumley

Banned
What's the actual likelihood of Trump losing the presidency over this?

It's all up in the fucking air, completely. There is zero reason to even make guesses. We're in uncharted territory, people saying "nothing will happen because GOP" apparently don't realize this could lead to treason in which case nothing else matters.

So organization is hired by dems and Anti trump repubs to look closely for skeletons in closet trump

Huge issues are found by ex mi6 guy who is so disturbed he hands the info independently to FBI station office and later, perhaps because not enough was done, he hands it to McCain who immediately also passes it to FBI

Why didn't the clients who paid for this report actually get to use any of it? Like why didn't they bring it up during the campaign was it just too bad they didn't even know what to do with it? I mean it's the motherlode, and what they paid for.
Why just hand it to the FBI And watch as the FBI sits on it but find some reason to shaft Hillary in public again?
What is going on!!

It seems that some of the big newspapers/networks have been sitting on this for a while and have been quietly trying to vet sources and information.

Either Buzzfeed will have accelerated the whole process, or may have put this all back a few years. Guess we will find out in the coming days.

On the other hand if unsubstantiated Buzzfeed is going to be on the end of a very big libel court case.

Chumley

Banned
Russia said they have no personally compromising information on Donald Trump calling claims 'total nonsense'

BBC News

Of course they did. Putin still wants to simultaneously destabilize the U.S. and get those sanctions lifted. As long as he thinks Trump can skate out of this shitstorm and appoint people like Tillerson, he'll get what he wants.

If things somehow go truly nuclear and Trump goes to prison, the Kremlin will just go radio silent. New Cold War only much, much worse.

faisal233

It seems that some of the big newspapers/networks have been sitting on this for a while and have been quietly trying to vet sources and information.

Either Buzzfeed will have accelerated the whole process, or may have put this all back a few years. Guess we will find out in the coming days.

On the other hand if unsubstantiated Buzzfeed is going to be on the end of a very big libel court case.

I'm sure buzzfeed would love to drag Trump through a libel case.

Anyway I don't think anything will happen unless... the tapes get leaked.

okdakor

Now we have to add a new word to the urban dictionnary ?

Russian trumpet : having golden showers with russian prositutes on the bed of your rival

Chumley

Banned
Other thing to remember is that Trump has been nicer to Putin than anyone else alive barring his own family over the last year or so. Not a single bad word. Not one.

The song and dance he put on for SoS was also a total ruse. He wanted Tillerson from the start because Tillerson is by far the most pro-Russia candidate he could have picked.

It's all so god damn obvious. If Trump ever decided to pull a U-Turn and not push for appointments like that, or to start bad mouthing Putin, the Kremlin would just release the tapes. That's the only way they would ever do that. As long as they have a chance at getting the sanctions lifted, they'll play ball, but if that goes off the table they'll double down on trying to get America to tear itself in half.

Steel

Banned
This is Trump equivalent to Pizzagate. Don't be stupid guys.

Eh. Could be false, but the fact is Pizzagate was started by 4chan and only circulated in crazy far-right sources. This is something with far more credible sources backing it.

Marz

Is this is true, just how fucking stupid are Republicans? Like just think of what these clowns allowed to happen to our democratic process and our goddamn country.

I hope McCain eats Trump and the Russians alive.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
This is nowhere near fake news.
The NEWS is that senior intelligence officials briefed him and President Obama on Russians attempting to compromise Trump, alleging Trump staff has been in collusion with Russians for YEARS.

This isnt fake news. This is something thst happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom