• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

Banned
How explosive would you folks think this could be *if* Trump is taken down by this? Wow, can't imagine the reaction his supporters would have.

It's interesting to imagine. Riots in the streets would be my guess. Which would be ironic after all those same Trump supporters were decrying people protesting Trump's election.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Why this story is so much explosive is that whatever happens, someone goes down. If it's true, Trump goes down in epic flames. If it's fake, Buzzfeed goes down. Hulk Hogan sex tapes (which were real afair) took down Gawker, and this is many orders of magnitude more damaging.

Jobbs

Banned
How explosive would you folks think this could be *if* Trump is taken down by this? Wow, can't imagine the reaction his supporters would have.

If it's true, Trump goes down in epic flames.

The GOP wouldn't impeach Trump if this was proven true, because there's no such thing as true. GOP base will continue to read and believe fake news, they wouldn't buy this as being true no matter what--- and remember, one of the most core, elemental facts about the GOP is that they are terrified of their base. It'll never happen.

Cartman86

Banned
It's not a surprise but I love how the audience is having absolutely none of what Conway is saying on Seth Meyers. You can just feel them wanting to call out the bullshit. We are really living in two different countries.

RawNuts

Gotta chime in again and say that people shouldn't jump to conclusions. Stay skeptical, especially when the news you're reading matches what you want to be true to a tee.

Check out the Wired article below. It will give more context and again stresses that information like this should be viewed with caution.

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/spy-agency-vets-read-bombshell-trump-report-caution/
I wholeheartedly agree. While I remain incredibly interested in how this develops, I don't want to fall for any fake news like the right has done so often.

BowieZ

Banned
Why this story is so much explosive is that whatever happens, someone goes down. If it's true, Trump goes down in epic flames. If it's fake, Buzzfeed goes down. Hulk Hogan sex tapes (which were real afair) took down Gawker, and this is many orders of magnitude more damaging.
That's alright, Russia can kidnap the Buzzfeed guy and turn him into another puppet in exchange for asylum.

Steel

Banned
I wholeheartedly agree. While I remain incredibly interested in how this develops, I don't want to fall for any fake news like the right has done so often.

Yeah. I want this to be true though.

That being said I'm not even sure Trump would be ousted even if this were true.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's interesting to imagine. Riots in the streets would be my guess. Which would be ironic after all those same Trump supporters were decrying people protesting Trump's election.

They'll blame Obama and try to elect another charismatic Russian shill in four years 'cause lol humanity.

Putin is such a masterful arsehole.

Whether Trump is taken down or not, he's winning either way. Damn the US get outplayed real bad by him.

royalan

You'll fall for fake news everytime if you don't have some basic foundation of belief to go by. Me? I choose to hang on to the idea if that our Intelligence finds enough merit in the M-16 source to label him "credible" that this is a few steps higher than potential "fake news."

Grug

As a non-American, I'm curious how it must feel as an American to see your country so comprehensively tactically beaten by Putin. I mean he played you guys right in your most sacred institution... your democracy.

faisal233

You'll fall for fake news everytime if you don't have some basic foundation of belief to go by. Me? I choose to hang on to the idea that our Intelligence finds enough merit in the M-16 source to label him "credible" that this is a few steps higher than potential "fake news."

There has been too much chatter in IC twitter for this all to be nothing. I mean, hardcore GOP, fuck hillary, obama and every other dem president kind of guys.

if it's fake no confidential data was shared and Buzzfeed did due diligence in stating these are unverified as far as I can tell. Gawker defied court orders and shared factual but private videos. They themselves hosted it and that's why they went under.

Uhyve

That being said I'm not even sure Trump would be ousted even if this were true.
He is rubber, facts are glue. I don't know what can be done at this point. It's just another thing that doesn't affect the lives of ordinary Americans, so it doesn't matter.

Seriously, I think the Obamacare/AMA stuff has more of a chance of turning people against Trump. Even then, I just find it hard to believe that things could be righted in any meaningful way.

The crazy thing is that they aren't wrong. I don't think enough Gaffers spend enough time talking to these Republicans, but I do. And, that is exactly how they think, everything justifies the end goals. I've heard people literally say, "so what if Trump is in league with the Russians? It's better than corrupt Hillary and at least he might turn them into an ally."

To them its pretty simple, all this Russian stuff is foreign shit that doesn't affect their daily lives along with Trump's personal indiscretions. Who cares about Russia or Trump's taxes? If the Dems get back in more babies will be killed, my taxes will go through the roof, my healthcare premiums will double, the gays will be able to run amok, I won't know which bathroom to go in, Mexicans will take every last job in America, Christianity will be replaced with secular and/or Muslim rule, and I won't even be able to speak my mind without being labeled a racist or homophobe thanks to PC culture.

That is who is supporting these Republicans.

The Attorney General. Of course, he/she can decide not to.
Yup, I've heard the "don't we want allies with russia?" in real life as well. Not even from like evangelicals or vocal racists or anything. Then the topic switches to how at least Trump will make health care affordable (uhhhh), didn't commit treason (uhhhh), and won't take our guns away.

He is rubber, facts are glue. I don't know what can be done at this point. It's just another thing that doesn't affect the lives of ordinary Americans, so it doesn't matter.

Seriously, I think the Obamacare/AMA stuff has more of a chance of turning people against Trump. Even then, I just find it hard to believe that things could be righted in any meaningful way.
This makes a lot of sense to me.

Zereta

So, more and more outlets are picking this story up.

What if this is fake? What if it's all fake or enough holes are poked into it to discredit it?

That gives Trump and his dudes all the ammunition they need to basically delegitimize mainstream media outlets, or at least do more damage on their perception to a wider base of people.

I think enough of this is true, coming from the Mother Jones article from last October and how all of this lines up in some way. But what if it isn't? The media gets dealt a hell of a blow, maybe too much of one.

MBison

Was this news broken by Buzzfeed?

Like the same place I go if I want to find out which Buffy the Vampire Slayer character my zodiac sign says I am?

As a non-American, I'm curious how it must feel as an American to see your country so comprehensively tactically beaten by Putin. I mean he played you guys right in your most sacred institution... your democracy.

It's the American public's fault as much as it is Putin's. There are citizens either willfully ignoring this connection or outright supporting it simply because this all falls within the Republican umbrella.

Uhyve

Yup, I've heard the "don't we want allies with russia?" in real life as well. Not even from like evangelicals or vocal racists or anything. Then the topic switches to how at least Trump will make health care affordable (uhhhh), didn't commit treason (uhhhh), and won't take our guns away.
At least they'll be down to "won't take our guns away" within the next few weeks.

I can't imagine people will continue believing in him in the long term, he betrays their interests at every turn.

MBison

What if this is fake? What if it's all fake or enough holes are poked into it to discredit it?

That gives Trump and his dudes all the ammunition they need to basically delegitimize mainstream media outlets, or at least do more damage on their perception to a wider base of people.

I think enough of this is true, coming from the Mother Jones article from last October and how all of this lines up in some way. But what if it isn't? The media gets dealt a hell of a blow, maybe too much of one.

Yeah, what if Trump's team leaked false information just to see the MSM go nuts broadcasting unsourced, unverified information. Would be troll level 9000.

Chumley

Banned

You're confusing the Buzzfeed story with the collusion story.

CNN and MSNBC have not uttered a word about the Buzzfeed story because it's unverified.

The Lamp

Do you guys not understand the most important thing here?

If this is all true. Trump committed a federal crime if he knew about all this.

No amount of GOP trying to deny it and protect him changes that.

Hes done.

My brain cannot process such a convenient narrative for all of this as non-fiction.

And Trump has already proven he's above the law, truth, and precedent. He's done tons of illegal shit that the government already knows about related to his finances and they didn't do anything about it. Money = power, and he's legitimized by the electoral vote. I don't have any hope that anything will happen to him. If anything is at risk, he will just hire the best lawyers and sneak out of it while saying he didn't do anything.

Ac30

You're confusing the Buzzfeed story with the collusion story.

CNN and MSNBC have not uttered a word about the Buzzfeed story because it's unverified.

BuzzFeed releasing that report was fucking dumb - the CNN/MSM reports would be far more damaging.

Tall4Life

Like the same place I go if I want to find out which Buffy the Vampire Slayer character my zodiac sign says I am?
Yes, because the same people who write those pieces made this one. Yep. It's not like this was put out by a Pulitzer winner.

Think before you shitpost like this next time.

Yeah, what if Trump's team leaked false information just to see the MSM go nuts broadcasting unsourced, unverified information. Would be troll level 9000.

The timeline for this doesn't match up. This information has been circulating around for months, with McCain getting ahold of these memos first. There's really no timing in which they could've "leaked" this just to spite the media.

It's the American public's fault as much as it is Putin's. There are citizens either willfully ignoring this connection or outright supporting it simply because this all falls within the Republican umbrella.

To be fair a good majority of the public didn't vote for Trump (a good majority didn't vote in general, but that's aside the point).

VariantX

Putin didn't do anything that segment of America wasn't already doing to themselves. He just took advantage of it, and plenty of people who knew enough to be in a position to stop it let it happen because it was convenient to them in some way, whether it was money, clicks, ratings, or political power.

Kathian

Banned
You'll fall for fake news everytime if you don't have some basic foundation of belief to go by. Me? I choose to hang on to the idea that our Intelligence finds enough merit in the M-16 source to label him "credible" that this is a few steps higher than potential "fake news."

Nah nah. It's clearly a false document posted by 4chan without any detail and the CUCKS fell for it!

Can't believe how many idiots are spouting this shit. The fact it's a verified credible source that created the report lends it currency. Doesn't mean the sources sources were speaking the truth but I believe this was information gathered from Russian sources. Some people's inability for critical thought is astounding.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

That is why there are some in the media regrets Buzzfeed's decision to release the document, with good reason. Real journalism shouldn't be about releasing unverifiable information to the public and let the public decide whether it is true or not, that's not how real journalism should work. Because if it is, then we would be facing a deluge of speculative unverified rumor-like news about everything in every moment of our life.

teepo

the leak is way too convenient and makes too much sense strategically. they've probably rattled enough cages that they won't need to spend years collecting hard evidence. with the threat of being charged with treason, someone will crack and start talking. nobody wants to get caught up in this shit and someone will attempt a plea deal. at least that's what im wishing as i sit here drawing up simple game theory models

or maybe buzzfeed just pulled a gawker

Pretty sure that the MJ article was based on this exact report, so it's not convergent evidence, just redundant. It lines up with the DNI report released last week though.

MBison

Yes, because the same people who write those pieces made this one. Yep. It's not like this was put out by a Pulitzer winner.

Think before you shitpost like this next time.

Huh? That wasnt a shit post. Like seriously, this is Buzzfeed. Nothing legitimate or meaningful has ever come out of Buzzfeed. Let's look at current Buzzfeed headlines.

"People are wondering where TF Kim Kardashian is taking all her new photos."

"27 Impossibly cute pets that will make you question what's real"

"26 Questions Southerners need to answer."

"24 Examples of Corinne Being the Greatest 'Bachelor' Villain Yet"

It's hardly a shitpost to question the substance of the source of this leak, which basically builds itself on sensationalist clickbaiting.

Can we have a real discussion about that without accusing people of shitposting? like geez man.

It was broken by CNN, they didn't want to provide the full report because they had not yet verified by their standards what was in the document was 100% true. BF said fuck it, we're going to print it.

Then the guardian ran with it basically saying it's credible due to McCain sending people across the world to verify this report and then having a one on one with FBI director.

CNN decided to run with it when they found out that both Obama and trump was briefed on the report.

The report originally came out in October, but MSM didn't want to cover it due to their thought it not being credible

Tahnit

Banned
It doesn't matter. If it's true trump commited a crime. The FBI will arrest him. He will be charged. At that point he can not serve as President.

If this is all true and becomes verified he and his entire campaign and cabinet are done. End of story

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ok, CNN. Better than Buzzfeed, all I saw in this thread was talk about Buzzfeed.

Well Buzzfeed only reported it. The intelligence community at the very least considered it important enough to brief both Obama and Trump about it.

However it must be noted that the intelligence community is being cautious about its veracity.

syllogism

That is why there are some in the media regrets Buzzfeed's decision to release the document, with good reason. Real journalism shouldn't be about releasing unverifiable information to the public and let the public decide whether it is true or not, that's not how real journalism should work. Because if it is, then we would be facing a deluge of speculative unverified rumor-like news about everything in every moment of our life.
It's newsworthy if this third party intelligence report was included in the classified briefings. It's not rumor-like news if U.S. intelligence officials found the source credible enough to include the allegations. It may turn out to be inaccurate, but that does not mean it wasn't newsworthy given the context.

Lautaro

People here should be discussing the document more instead of wishful thinking, pee jokes and bs. Taken from Reddit:

In page 30 there's some info that connects Trump to Rosfnet and therefore to Rex Tillerson (some context).

It doesn't matter. If it's true trump commited a crime. The FBI will arrest him. He will be charged. At that point he can not serve as President.

If this is all true and becomes verified he and his entire campaign and cabinet are done. End of story

Do you have any idea what that would look like on the world stage? To have the president elect dragged out of the white house in cuffs? When literally half of the population doesn't believe or doesn't care about the allegations?

There would be civil war. I don't think it's as easy as you make it sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom