• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
In a very Machiavellian way, Putin will have won even if Trump is defenestrated. His main goal is to break America and the NATO from within by seeding distrust against the system, and he greatly succeeded at it.

Of course, the worst possible outcome of this mess is Trump remaining in the WH while the American political landscape balkanizes.

And if this turns out to be a bunch of BS (which seems incredibly far fetched at this point), mainstream media will have committed seppuku and given the reigns of the fourth estate to Breit Bart.

CNN's article on this story also includes a solid video that goes into the background of the report and its sources, distribution and timeline here.

One tidbit I got from it is that the former MI-6 agent and his sources for the report have already been vetted by the FBI. And that it originated in Trump opposition research initiated by both Republicans and Democrats.

Also, McCain didn't receive this information until after the election. Harry Reid had already had this information and made a big stink about it in October publicly demanding FBI Director Comey make these allegations known to the voters before the election.

Its a good watch to see why this report is making headlines now, and why the heads of all of the intelligence agencies are taking it seriously.

Edit: Mark Armbinder of USA Today also tweeted that the 35 page dossier (that Buzzfeed released) is not the only source of information used in the two page summary provided to Obama, Trump and the Gang of Eight (the senior leaders of Congress for both parties).

Thanks for this update. A lot of info in this thread

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
In a very Machiavellian way, Putin will have won even if Trump is defenestrated. His main goal is to break America and the NATO from within by seeding distrust against the system, and he greatly succeeded at it.

Of course, the worst possible outcome of this mess is Trump remaining in the WH while the American political landscape balkanizes.

And if this turns out to be a bunch of BS (which seems incredibly far fetched at this point), mainstream media will have committed seppuku and given the reigns of the fourth estate to Breit Bart.

How come the US let itself be played so overwhelmingly by Putin?

Unbelievable.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
On the plus side, maybe Europe will get its shit together and realise that making deals with Putin is not unlike dealing with the mob.

You ain't getting shit out of his goodwill and you are not a partner to him. He owns you.

How come the US let itself be played so overwhelmingly by Putin?

Unbelievable.
It's not just the US. Le Pen, FPÖ,... parties all across europe are receiving funding by Putin and the EU had to set up a site and program to combat fake news spread by Russia.
People acting like golden showers are a bad thing. smh

Few people really are, aside from predatory practices, gaf is pretty welcoming to all fetishes and kinks. There's even a pegging OT, unless that was closed in the meantime.

Uhyve

I don't expect republicans to impeach the guy anytime soon unless incriminating evidence is found. I do expect this russia story to haunt trump and his administration for the next four years or so.
This will be his Bengazi. The only difference is, this will actually matter and Fox News probably won't cover it that much, for some reason.

kmag

They don't need to admit it, if any of it is confirmed the damage is already done, the fact that there's a lot of confidence in this report and everyone is running with it means the cracks will start to show. McCain especially is a big player in this along with many other Republicans disliking Trump. This gives them an opportunity to drop Trump and his fanatics and move the party back a bit by denouncing Trump and his crazies.

McCain also almost certainly won't run for Senate again at the end of his 6 year term. He'd be 86. it gives up a lot of latitude most republicans don't have, of course it's in the within the framework of his own beliefs and wanting to keep his committee positions so it's not like he's going to be a pseudo-democrat.

preta

I'm a bit confused - how did the report get from the ex-MI6 agent into McCain's hands? Did it go through anyone else in between? Do we know?

mo60

On the plus side, maybe Europe will get its shit together and realise that making deals with Putin is not unlike dealing with the mob.

You ain't getting shit out of his goodwill and you are not a partner to him. He owns you.

I hope francois fillion recognizes eventually that he can't try to be buddies with Putin.

I'm a bit confused - how did the report get from the ex-MI6 agent into McCain's hands? Did it go through anyone else in between? Do we know?

It was handed by the freelance ex agent to an ex american Russian emabssy rep in Italy (i think?) who passed it to maccain. It's in the guardian article.

Steel

Banned
Honestly, Trump doing weird sex stuff with hookers is pretty expected.

Having said hookers pee in a bed once occupied by the Obamas, though... That's just mentally fucked up

It's expected on one hand, but on the other hand that's precisely why it's so absurd he got away with blaming Hillary for her husbands affairs... When he's getting his kinks out with Hookers.

jelly

Russia said they have no personally compromising information on Donald Trump calling claims 'total nonsense'

BBC News

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Hah! If anything, Europe is also in danger of realigning themselves to suit Putin's needs. One need only see the reemergence of various political parties in various Europe countries that are in line with how Putin run things. Especially so since the Muslim Boogeyman is something that everyone just love to hate nowadays, and Putin fits perfectly into that/

It's not just the US. Le Pen, FPÖ,... parties all across europe are receiving funding by Putin and the EU had to set up a site and program to combat fake news spread by Russia.

Yeah, if Europe is not careful, things will be really bleak in the future.

Russians are good at psyops.

Watch Hypernormalization if you want to know more about how this fucked up landscape came to be.

Thanks!

It was a report commissioned by Democrats and later on also by some Republicans. Many people didn't want Trump to ascend to presidency on both sides.

jelly

Yeah, well just an update.

The thing about impeachment, would they really vote on it if the wrath of voters makes them lose their job, they are career scum.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
People acting like golden showers are a bad thing. smh
It's not really that though. It's basically Trump doing this to Obama:

ZYuiWN0l.jpg

Except making it weird because he's doing the equivalent of hatefucking a bed that Obama slept on. lol

Russia said they have no personally compromising information on Donald Trump calling claims 'total nonsense'

BBC News

Russia still denies it was their Anti Air unit, given to pro Russian rebels, who shot down the passenger plane. Killing hundreds of people and being incriminated by the official investigation half a dozen times.

RinsFury

BBC News

Because they'd ever admit having it. If anything, this makes it all even more true, all the big players are rushing out to deny it.

It doesn't matter how the media looks, what leaks, or anything else. Those are all issues during a campaign in a court of public opinion. What matters now is investigators and other branches of government investigate and find some answers.

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah, well just an update.

The thing about impeachment, would they really vote on it if the wrath of voters makes them lose their job, they are career scum.

The republicans in congress would vote on impeachment if that's what their base wanted. The important thing to remember about nearly all republicans in office (there may be some exceptions if they represent a more moderate district) is that they are afraid of their big, loud, stupid base.

The big, loud, stupid base is unlikely to ever believe these claims regardless of proof, because there is really no such things as fact or proof anymore... And if they did believe it, they wouldn't care, because at least it's not Hillary.

My prediction is that nothing comes of it regardless of the evidence.

What's the actual likelihood of Trump losing the presidency over this?

IMO very very low -- Unless you mean when the voters speak again in 4 years, in which case there's a decent chance

This feels like a movie.

And I find it fitting that Obama's original political rival, John McCain - the last GOP candidate I respected, could end up being such a key asset in this. In a way in warms my heart.

A majority of the members of the House must vote for these charges in order to impeach the president. After the charges of misconduct are filed, the Senate has the power to try impeachment cases like a court. Two-thirds of the senators must vote for conviction.

if i'm reading this correctly, the vote would need support of 10% of the house GOP and 37% of the senate GOP

I don't understand how anyone who lived through 2016 can ever say there's a zero percent chance of something happening/not happening.

For the rest of my life, that is the one and only lesson I will carry with me from that year. That nothing is certain or predictable and trying to engage in that stuff is a waste of time.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I wonder how the American people will handle the next four or eight years, given that one side of the populace will deny the president his basic legitimacy (in addition to all the other problems this man has), while the other side will see this as a conspiracy. How can you even possibly hope to have a functioning political culture and discourse in this situation.

I wonder how the American people will handle the next four or eight years, given that one side of the populace will deny the president his basic legitimacy (in addition to all the other problems this man has), while the other side will see this as a conspiracy. How can you even possibly hope to have a functioning political culture and discourse in this situation.

I believe this was the goal all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom