• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
People are blaming toucharcade in earlier parts of this thread? LOLWUT?

There are literally almost 100 ios kickstarters, after sites got spammed by people jumping on the double fine wagon they didn't want to keep covering them. It's not that complicated and it's happened on plenty of sites. Giantbomb is another example, they covered a bunch right after double fine then realized oh wait fuck this nonsense.
I don't care about TA, I just thought those quotes people posted show the writer is a childish ass. It's one thing to not cover something, it's another thing to take opportunities to trash them and misrepresent what they stand for and project your feelings over their potential as fact and so on and so forth. Still not kickstarting this, just not gonna trash them like that or liken them to nobodies that show a piece of concept art (if that) and may want to potentially run away with people's money. As for GiantBomb, I never liked them, I don't see why any outlet like that would refuse to cover legitimately interesting for gamers stuff like Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns, or whatever is next, just because they start off Kickstarter. I mean, not even posting they're planned and in development after they've been funded (even if Kickstarter is still open)? I'm sure if Activision was sending out PR about one of these games coming to a platform they're more intro they'd jump on it, how is this so different? It's not like people would want to see every random project pimped, much like they don't expect them to cover every single game release that occurs either.

Wow, this thing just isn't picking up any steam.
ibksmBDjDyDF6q.gif

Kusagari

Most are front loaded, yes, but I can't recall any other kickstarter that raised so much in its first day only to utterly collapse like this afterward.

Compare Republique to something like Leisure Suit Larry or Jane Jensen's product, and the first day wasn't that different. They just didn't absolutely collapse afterward.

Most are front loaded, yes, but I can't recall any other kickstarter that raised so much in its first day only to utterly collapse like this afterward.

Compare Republique to something like Leisure Suit Larry or Jane Jensen's product, and the first day wasn't that different. They just didn't absolutely collapse afterward.
Considering the limited audience, it makes sense to me. Have their been any successful Kickstarters that are iOS only?

Edit: Bleh. Kickstarter doesn't have any search refinement options.

Edit #2:
RoboArena - $1,406
Prof. Cat's Mazing Machine - $3,438
God of Blades - $4,851
Pota-Toss - $14,273
Turf Geography Club - $17,375
Hadean Lands - $31,337

So that Touch Arcade guy who made those comments about Kickstarter previously has made a GAF account but has to be approved. I wonder if it's to address what he said and has been said in this thread?

Considering the limited audience, it makes sense to me. Have their been any successful Kickstarters that are iOS only?

Edit: Bleh. Kickstarter doesn't have any search refinement options.

Edit #2:
RoboArena - $1,406
Prof. Cat's Mazing Machine - $3,438
God of Blades - $4,851
Pota-Toss - $14,273
Turf Geography Club - $17,375
Hadean Lands - $31,337

From a post I made 4 pages back

STAR COMMAND: Sci-Fi meets GameDev Story for iOS and Android
$36,967 made on a
$20,000 goal
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-sci-fi-meets-gamedev-story-for-ios-an

From a post I made 4 pages back.

Proppa(プロッパ)
$6,186 made on a
$5,000 goal
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1256521023/proppa

Prof. Cat's Mazing Machine

$3,438 made on a
$3,000 goal
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcadetale/prof-cats-mazing-machine?ref=search

Crowman & Wolfboy - iOS Adventure
$6,124 made on a
$4,000 goal
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079929955/crowman-and-wolfboy-ios-adventure?ref=search

$36,967 made on a
$20,000 goal
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-sci-fi-meets-gamedev-story-for-ios-an

Proppa(プロッパ)
$6,186 made on a
$5,000 goal

$3,438 made on a
$3,000 goal
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcadetale/prof-cats-mazing-machine?ref=search

$6,124 made on a
$4,000 goal
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079929955/crowman-and-wolfboy-ios-adventure?ref=search

See?

This Kickstarter BLEW THE DOORS OFF. It just is asking for too much.

szaromir

Banned
I think the pitch focused too much on AAA tangent. When players have been hearing publishers boasting about their AAA lineup, publishers focusing on AAA titles, they are now mute to funds asking for money for AAA development - it's a domain of publishers and should stay that way. And there are plenty of AAA games out there (not on iOS, but those interested in such games can find them somewhere else), so it's not like the market is underserved, which is the case for other successful KS campaigns.

This, plus when the potential donators ask for PC version and the developer is not willing to make any concessions whatsoever, it's no wonder people are put off by this project and are not willing to donate.

So that Touch Arcade guy who made those comments about Kickstarter previously has made a GAF account but has to be approved. I wonder if it's to address what he said and has been said in this thread?

Watch his account get approved a few days after the Kickstarter ends, and he shows just up to say: "I told you so!".

See?

This Kickstarter BLEW THE DOORS OFF. It just is asking for too much.

Yeah, this project might be doable if he was asking for $200,000, but $500,000 is really stretching it for an iOS game. I do respect the developers for wanting to make an original AAA game for the iOS. But so far it has been nothing but an uphill battle for them. I think there might have been a little better chance if they offered an Android version as well, or even a PC/ Mac port (there are quite a few iOS games that have been ported to Mac OSX). But I guess that wasn't the intention of this project.

Where did it say that the developers are adamantly opposed to a PC version? I've only seen comments in which there are some backers that are against it..

Where specifically did he say it then? Just skimmed through his posts in this thread (I haven't been following this myself...other than the first couple of days where there was momentum so I'm a bit surprised to see the funding stagnate).

He said it several times.

It's a strange spot to be in, because it's so cool to get email from people saying that they love the game and want it to be the platform of their choice, but we're just not designing the game for a mouse and keyboard right now. But I know a lot of you understand this. I think GAF has always been really good about calling out games with ports not specifically tailor made for the platform. If we were to do a PC version, I would want to spend months adjusting the story and designing the gameplay all around the idea that the player is viewing into the world with a PC, not a mobile device.
We've received hundreds of requests from the community asking for Republique on PC, Mac, Android, Windows Phone, PlayStation Vita...so our team is currently investigating all of above that have touch screens. You could say that's because we're stubborn, and maybe there's some truth to that -- we designed and wrote Republique for mobile, touch devices and I don't know what else to say. We want to be as many platforms as possible, as long as we have the budget to support them properly and they make sense for the player experience.

But recently, after much of our bitching, there has been a ray of hope:

No need to be worried, Ignis. I think the game is going to do great on iOS.

With that said, we're listening to the feedback and reevaluating our strategy. More on this soon...

Haunted

There are tons of million+ projects.
Well, not tons. A 500k goal definitely puts you in the very highest tier of Kickstarter projects. It's the second highest goal anyone's ever [seriously] asked for in the games section.

It's definitely ambitious, maybe overly so looking at the turnout so far and the things working against it (or rather, not for it like they do for the other Kickstarters who've been so successful lately).

volturnus

Banned
Wow, this thing just isn't picking up any steam.
And the guys seems to learn nothing from it.
People try to make the reaction seem overwhelmingly complex, but I just can't see it being any more simple. The 500k budget doesn't make sense to a lot of people, I mean, even Shadowrun had a 400k goal, and it's a much bigger project.
Plus, most of the audience that could appreciate it is not on that platform or doesn't enjoy playing such games on it.

To fail in such projects is normal, no problem with that.
I understand he must love the idea, but to insist in such way just to prove people wrong while ''scrapping by'' and hurting his own reputation in the process is just stupid.

The 500k budget doesn't make sense to a lot of people, I mean, even Shadowrun had a 400k goal, and it's a much bigger project.

How exactly is Shadowrun, a 2D scion of the 16bit era, a bigger project than a 3D motion capture title with high production values?

No one is making the reaction complex, it's simply the wrong platform. However, the reaction also says a lot of interesting things about different gaming demographics and the state of this industry and hobby.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Judging by his gloating Twitter updates, I guess so. <_<

It seems he's actually glad it's failing. What an asshole.

Lol, what a fucking cocksucker. Wasn't his whole reasoning for not covering this Kickstarter on his website because he didn't think it was worthy of coverage? Yet he goes and makes petty insults about the project on his Twitter feed?

I've tried to figure out why I have no interest in this at all. I'm not a metal gear fan, I'd say that's a good start.

Maybe this kickstarter is a little too slick for it's own good. Maybe I don't think that being a part of AAA game dev and partnering with a cinematics guy is a solid starting point for an iOS game, especially since they wish to stick to that format and no others.

I could see a publisher throwing them a half mil if the kickstarter doesn't work. Clearly they have some kind of bankroll, with the prototype they are showing and the motion cap work being done already.

Are they transparent about how the game has been funded so far?

I dunno what it is, I find the trailer appealing and I would put it on my buy when on sale list (like 99% of iOS games) but I have no interest in funding it. Maybe it's just that I've kickstarted 6-7 things in the last couple months and am waiting for my chicks to come home and roost.

Good luck to em!

Kusagari

There's a fucking iphone auto move time lapse cradle that's in the millions, as a whole plenty of things get way past 500k.

No, they don't. There are 12 things total that have broken 500k - with Leisure Suit Larry about to join them within 2-3 days.

And the fact that remains that video game wise only historic franchises/or having extremely notable people behind them have broken 500k. The only exception is The Banner Saga.

$36,967 made on a
$20,000 goal

Proppa&#65288;&#12503;&#12525;&#12483;&#12497;&#65289;
$6,186 made on a
$5,000 goal

$3,438 made on a
$3,000 goal

$6,124 made on a
$4,000 goal
Only two of those are iOS exclusive.

I asked Payton about identifying which part of the iOS user base is his targeted marketeariler in the thread, but never got an answer. Does anyone know? I'd just really like to know what gaming sub-group his company identified with test-marketing and focus-groups.

It kinds of feels like this kickstarter was their one and only identification attempt.

How exactly is Shadowrun, a 2D scion of the 16bit era, a bigger project than a 3D motion capture title with high production values?

Well, Shadowrun was always more known as a pen and paper RPG series, than it's 16bit games. But that is really hard to say on Shadowrun's part. It really all comes down to things like voice talent, soundtrack composer, and game artists. It really depends on how they distribute the budget for the game.

But Shadowrun is already based on a recognizable name, has a pretty well respected game designer helming it. He created the Battletech board game series (the Mech Warrior series was a spinoff of this) As well as the Shadowrun P&P series and worked at Microsoft game studios on games like Crimson Skies.

Also, Shadowrun is being Targeted for Windows and Mac (and Possibly Linux).

Now, Republique is a game that is being developed by a group of fresh young developers who were underlings at Kojipro. Their project is very ambitious, but they are aiming it at a platform that is making this a very hard sell. If this game was a aimed at PC/ Mac, I believe they could've gotten as much funding as the Banner Saga did. But it seems like there are quite a few factors working against them.

Top Bottom