• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

novery

Lots of good discussion at Camouflaj HQ about platforms today. We're shooting a team video that'll address a lot of the feedback we've received from you guys and alter the strategy moving forward. Really excited to see everyone's reaction!

Haunted

Lots of good discussion at Camouflaj HQ about platforms today. We're shooting a team video that'll address a lot of the feedback we've received from you guys and alter the strategy moving forward. Really excited to see everyone's reaction!
Sounds good. There's no shame in adapting a different strategy if the initial pitch didn't connect optimally.

Fuck. Yes.

I only hope there's still enough time left to make the goal once the word gets out. In this case it might even be a smart idea to cancel the current Kickstarter and start a new one in a week after announcing new platforms.

Whatever happens, whether it's starting a new Kickstarter or pushing this one on, I hope the rewards stay the same. :p

I've had my eye on that journal and book.

Video update on Kickstarter, this was filmed last week so I assume it's not the one Ryan is talking about up there.

Watching now...

They'll be providing new images of the rewards, very good. That's something that I think really benefited The Banner Saga.

And future version retooled for PC and Mac sort of confirmed? I assume this will be clarified later and put front and center.

lol @ Vita.

FoneBone

I don't think it's a given that this project would make it on PC. It has an extremely high goal, a relatively thin pedigree, and the design doesn't match up well with any pools of burning passion waiting to be ignited. I don't have any stake in this project though so if I'm way off base I'd like to hear about it.

I have to be a buzzkill and agree with this. I'm doubtful that $500K is feasible regardless of the platform.

Excited to hear about a potential PC version.

It'll be a damn shame if this doesn't make it though... Ryan, can't you get your old buddy Hideo to help you out?

Basch

fuck. I'd pledge $200+ if I could. sometimes i hate college. i hope $10 helps. :'( If only the campaign lasted through May-June.

szaromir

Banned
"We wrote the story specifically for iOS devices"

What kind of tool would say something like that? Anyway, Steve Jobs would definitely be proud.

a story can be device-specific if the writer takes into the account how the player interacts with the game.
Yep, that's it. If you go in with the mentality that the story and "game" elements of a game are completely separate then I could understand why you would find the statement in question to be a bit pretentious. However, that's not how you should look at it because that doesn't appear to be how the team is looking at it. Ideally, the story in a game should be an integrated part of the total experience, not something completely separate. Journey is a good example of this. In that way a story can be shaped around how a player interacts with the game, at least to some extent.

In other news, I'm ready to come out and say this kickstarter has no chance of success without a platform change (and even then I'm skeptical).

EXGN

I have to be a buzzkill and agree with this. I'm doubtful that $500K is feasible regardless of the platform.

It is a lofty goal, regardless. But I know there have to be some people like me who don't own iOS devices but really want to play the game. This would be the first KS I throw down for if it came to a device I own (PC, Android, PS3, etc.).

szaromir

Banned
a story can be device-specific if the writer takes into the account how the player interacts with the game.

Even if that was true, there's a big range of devices that feature the same user input interface as iOS.

Of course, there's also an issue of it being a good story in any way whatsoever if it's a huge deal if you swipe a touch screen or a mouse. For me it sounds like "this book is on good if read on Kindle".

How a story is delivered, is intrinsically linked to the story itself. If it's a different device, medium then you're talking about a different story ultimately. Maybe they worded it poorly, but I can see where they're coming from. I still don't think this'll get funded.

Mario007

How a story is delivered, is intrinsically linked to the story itself. If it's a different device, medium then you're talking about a different story ultimately. Maybe they worded it poorly, but I can see where they're coming from. I still don't think this'll get funded.

Yep, that's it. If you go in with the mentality that the story and "game" elements of a game are completely separate then I could understand why you would find the statement in question to be a bit pretentious. However, that's not how you should look at it because that doesn't appear to be how the team is looking at it. Ideally, the story in a game should be an integrated part of the total experience, not something completely separate. Journey is a good example of this. In that way a story can be shaped around how a player interacts with the game, at least to some extent.

In other news, I'm ready to come out and say this kickstarter has no chance of success without a platform change (and even then I'm skeptical).

I'd understand all these sentiments if iOS was the only platform with touch input.

I'd understand all these sentiments if iOS was the only platform with touch input.

Then why don't you read?

We've received hundreds of requests from the community asking for Republique on PC, Mac, Android, Windows Phone, PlayStation Vita...so our team is currently investigating all of above that have touch screens. You could say that's because we're stubborn, and maybe there's some truth to that -- we designed and wrote Republique for mobile, touch devices and I don't know what else to say. We want to be as many platforms as possible, as long as we have the budget to support them properly and they make sense for the player experience.

It's a portable, with a particular screen format, probably played in a specific setting for specific periods of times. These are all considered when you design a game. In the same way a graphic novelist would, compared to any other visual storyteller.

Chinner

Banned
Even if that was true, there's a big range of devices that feature the same user input interface as iOS.

Of course, there's also an issue of it being a good story in any way whatsoever if it's a huge deal if you swipe a touch screen or a mouse. For me it sounds like "this book is on good if read on Kindle".

Kickstarter page:
You receive a desperate phone call from Hope, a young woman trapped within a shadowy totalitarian state. Using a stolen phone, she calls and begs you to hack into the nation’s surveillance system, assume control, and help her escape from the clutches of the omnipresent Overseer.

From the media we've seen, it looks like the game and story revolves around the player's direct relationship with Hope. So because the player is communicating using the phone, and helping Hope with the touch screen, it means the story is designed around that interface.

Although I think you're taking conflict with the fact that it's iOS platform. I agree it could work on Andriod, although I'm guessing the fragmented audience is an issue for Camoflaj.

Mario007

Then why don't you read?

I will admit I did not notice and I applaud them for actually evaluating other platforms.

It's a portable, with a particular screen format, probably played in a specific setting for specific periods of times. These are all considered when you design a game. In the same way a graphic novelist would, compared to any other visual storyteller.

Same can be said about Android (maybe excluding the screen size) and Vita and 3DS (though the touchscreen here is a bit different, I admit).

Omikaru

What if it's part of the story that the player is using a phone? That writes off PC and consoles immediately (though I appreciate they're not touch devices, and isn't directly linked to your point). Now, onto touch devices specifically:

I guess Vita is acceptable, inasmuch as you could imagine the Vita as a smartphone as much as you could imagine the sideways-positioned DS as a book in Hotel Dusk. But getting stuff on Vita is pretty much Sony's call as much as Camouflaj's at this point. Plus I don't even know if Unity can compile for Vita just yet...

Android brings up its own host of problems, namely device diversity (isn't it more diverse in terms of hardware standards than PC?) plus piracy is pretty bad on it. I can see why the Camouflaj folks are reluctant to release the game for that platform, considering it probably wouldn't be worth the effort in terms of returns.

Chinner

Banned
Same can be said about Android (maybe excluding the screen size) and Vita and 3DS (though the touchscreen here is a bit different, I admit).

They're aiming for phones because thats how Hope communicates with the player, I think. I talk, text, email through my phone, not my videogame consoles.

I think it's good that they want to adapt the game if it were to come to other consoles, especially because in today's industry most people would take it how it is, but vague answers of commitment really don't mean anything.

zroid

Banned
From what it sounds like, the text and dialogue of the game are both specifically tailored around the idea that the player is holding a phone or tablet device. It's very interesting as it might be among the few games that actually treats the player as a "player" (to use theatre lingo); there is no avatar.

I think this could be adapted fairly easily for something like a Vita -- maybe change a few words here and there -- but to bring the game to PC would be an endeavour. It's hard to know just how much would need to be altered, but if what RP says is true, they are in pretty deep here.

Massa

What if it's part of the story that the player is using a phone? That writes off PC and consoles immediately (though I appreciate they're not touch devices, and isn't directly linked to your point).

The game will be playable on iPad, won't it? Unless it requires actual phone functionality or maybe GPS there's no reason it can't be on other devices.

For example there are games that go for an old school approach apply filters to simulate the CRT TV look on high definition displays - the developers of these games didn't refuse to make them for anything that's not an old school arcade machine. No reason you can't emulate a phone screen on a PC, or let players feel like they're talking over the phone on an iPod Touch or Vita. It's a game.

Omikaru

The game will be playable on iPad, won't it? Unless it requires actual phone functionality or maybe GPS there's no reason it can't be on other devices.

For example there are games that apply filters to simulate the CRT TV look on high definition displays - no reason you can't emulate a phone screen on a PC, or let players feel like they're talking over the phone on an iPod Touch or Vita. It's a game.

I see your point, I guess. I still think PC/Mac/console isn't ideal due to the lack of touch. Anything with a large or widescreen touch display (such as a phone, tablet, Vita) seems like a good fit, though. Having it on iPad certainly deconstructs the "phone only" argument, but then I suppose you could argue that people would play the iPhone version on their tablet anyway, so they may as well make it Universal and let the people who would play it on iPad anyway utilise the game full screen, instead of being a blurry zoomed-in mess.

But honestly, I'm really not opposed to this game being on other platforms. If Camouflaj find a way to make it work on one platform or another, cool. The game looks ace, and if it turns out as well as I'd hope, I'd want as many people as possible to play it. If it does go multiplat I'd get the superior version, whatever that is.

szaromir

Banned
They're aiming for phones because thats how Hope communicates with the player, I think. I talk, text, email through my phone, not my videogame consoles.

I think it's good that they want to adapt the game if it were to come to other consoles, especially because in today's industry most people would take it how it is, but vague answers of commitment really don't mean anything.

Somehow I get a feeling this game will require a lot more suspension of disbelief from its actual story (setting & plot) than pretending my PC is a phone ever would.

Chinner

Banned
Somehow I get a feeling this game will require a lot more suspension of disbelief from its actual story (setting & plot) than pretending my PC is a phone ever would.

I don't know. We've probably seen about 30 seconds of footage and a few paragraphs of the premises. It's hard to make any strong assumptions at this point.

Vyer

Hopefully that gives it a nice boost with the Kickstarter community.

How is the Vita's touchscreen? I was under the impression not many games utilize it.

Ryan talked on Weekend Confirmed how since the platform is a phone they wanted the game to start off with you receiving a phone call from Hope and to make the game centered on using a phone. But its not like I've never received a phone call in a game before. I've picked up plenty of calls before; I don't think making the call go to my actual phone adds anything to the story (if anything it adds an extra layer of cheese making the whole thing harder to take seriously)

I understand, but don't agree with the story only working on iOS. Instead of me playing a game on my phone, on the PC (or wherever) I would just play a guy playing a game on his phone. I don't think that extra level of abstraction takes anything away

If anything it could actually improve the story because I know what my phone does and how it works and the moment the game challenges that knowledge my immersion will be broken. Using some fake phone interface on a different device sidesteps this problem IMO

Anyway I hope the game pulls through in the end. I have an ipod touch but rarely play games on it, in part because few games appeal to my tastes

diffusionx

Gold Member
I've tried to figure out why I have no interest in this at all. I'm not a metal gear fan, I'd say that's a good start.

Maybe this kickstarter is a little too slick for it's own good. Maybe I don't think that being a part of AAA game dev and partnering with a cinematics guy is a solid starting point for an iOS game, especially since they wish to stick to that format and no others.

It's not the starting point for any game. The fact that they proudly proclaim it is from "Camouflaj + Logan" was my first tip-off, because I was like, "who the fuck is Camouflaj + Logan"? Then I learned it was from Ryan Payton, and I see no reason to care. I am sure he is a nice guy, but his name on a game isn't drawing me to it.

Epic did Infinity Blade and brought a lot of attention to iOS because they are Epic and have been making cool games for almost two decades. Not because they said they would do a AAA game if, you know, you chip in half of it and here's a CG video and a bunch of preorder junk. They just did it. And let's be honest here, there's a gulf between Epic and Camouflaj + Logan as wide as the ocean.

Basch

It's not the starting point for any game. The fact that they proudly proclaim it is from "Camouflaj + Logan" was my first tip-off, because I was like, "who the fuck is Camouflaj + Logan"? Then I learned it was from Ryan Payton, and I see no reason to care. I am sure he is a nice guy, but his name on a game isn't drawing me to it.

Epic did Infinity Blade and brought a lot of attention to iOS because they are Epic and have been making cool games for almost two decades. Not because they said they would do a AAA game if, you know, you chip in half of it and here's a CG video and a bunch of preorder junk. They just did it. And let's be honest here, there's a gulf between Epic and Camouflaj + Logan as wide as the ocean.

Infinity Blade was made by the core team that made Advent Rising. Just so you know. While technically, a subsidiary of Epic, it's still a team most people before Shadow Complex were unaware of.

numble

New interview on Gamezone. It sounds like they can get funding from outside sources but will give up IP ownership:
http://www.gamezone.com/editorials/...uncovers-the-aaa-ios-experience-of-republique

Ryan Payton said:
Back in February, we were in the middle of a short tour to secure a funding deal for République which led to a critical internal meeting that left us scratching our heads as we tried to figure out how to find funding for the game without losing creative and IP control, which, as you can imagine, is difficult. On that very day, Tim Schafer and Double Fine launched their Kickstarter campaign. We noticed a revolution happening and wanted to be a part of it! We knew from the very beginning that these projects live and die on the honesty and integrity of the people behind them. This is why we set an aggressive goal of $500,000. Friends told us to just ask for $200,000 because it would be more likely to get the money, but that just seems wrong to me. It’s not just about getting money from the community — it’s about sharing your creative vision and financial situation with people and then handing over your fate for them to decide. We need to raise half of our budget through Kickstarter in order to secure the other half without losing creative control. We have a number of local investors willing to meet us half way and make République a reality in the event we find success on Kickstarter. We’re really excited to see where the remaining three weeks take us!

volturnus

Banned
They wrote the story specifically for iOS devices? Sorry, but there is no way that sentence could even begin to make sense.
I thought the guy would back down, change plans and all, but a possible PC release doesn't cut it.

They wrote the story specifically for iOS devices? Sorry, but there is no way that sentence could even begin to make sense.
I thought the guy would back down, change plans and all, but a possible PC release doesn't cut it.

Maybe they have a fake IOS interface in the game, where you go for email and to search mini websits, that would be a little awkward if brought onto PC.

novery

Not sure what the issue here is. If you want to make the best game possible, you need to design and write specifically for the platforms you're targeting, wouldn't you agree?

I don't know. We've probably seen about 30 seconds of footage and a few paragraphs of the premises. It's hard to make any strong assumptions at this point.

No promises, but the team is working on a new gameplay space that we're thinking of showing off before our Kickstarter campaign ends. It won't be rated up, but should give you guys a much better idea of the moment-to-moment.

Not sure what the issue here is. If you want to make the best game possible, you need to design and write specifically for the platforms you're targeting, wouldn't you agree?
I think people are interpreting it as "I am writing something that can only work on iOS" instead of "I am targeting iOS, therefore I wrote a story that would suit it."

By the way, have you heard back from the podcast? :p

StuBurns

Banned
Are you sure about that? Is HL2 not amongst the best games on 360 despite being designed for a wholly different control interface?

There are design decisions which resonate with the player regardless of the interface. Canabalt is amongst the best games on iOS, and it's equally good on PSP and PS3.

volturnus

Banned

No promises, but the team is working on a new gameplay space that we're thinking of showing off before our Kickstarter campaign ends. It won't be rated up, but should give you guys a much better idea of the moment-to-moment.
I agree, but a story is good or bad regardless of the platform. If I take Planescape: Torment and make it a text adventure on the PC Engine, the story will be just as good, the other elements that make it a fantastic will be what's missing, not the story.
I must be just a regular gaming message board user to you, and that's true, but perhaps you should listen to experienced people.

Basch

I agree, but a story is good or bad regardless of the platform. If I take Planescape: Torment and make it a text adventure on the PC Engine, the story will be just as good, the other elements that make it a fantastic will be what's missing, not the story.
I must be just a regular gaming message board user to you, and that's true, but perhaps you should listen to experienced people.

Maybe, you think, you shouldn't take what some developers say as the word of God. Seriously, everyone's different. It's nice to listen to what others have to offer, but if you fundamentally disagree don't expect them to break down and admit faults where there are none. It's completely subjective, and everyone tries different things. For some, focus is on the fun factor, for others the storytelling or emotion, for others the universe, world setting, or symbolism. It doesn't matter. Each contributes to their craft and you shouldn't ask for an artist to do something they don't want to do. Just saying, you know, respect and all that...

BTW: For what it's worth, from what we've seen so far, if I was in charge I'd try to port it to Vita and the 3DS at the very least as well, but I'm not in charge. It's their call. If they think they need the iOS for some reason or another, that's their call. Even if it was for other systems though, I don't know if anything would even change. They'd probably still have a hard time getting funding. Sadly. Great game idea!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Maybe they have a fake IOS interface in the game, where you go for email and to search mini websits, that would be a little awkward if brought onto PC.
If that's it then all they'd really need to do is reskin it into a faux desktop a la Uplink. Replace calling with a Skype-like app, have e-mail or messenger apps, etc. It'd all be superficial differences. Anything an iThing can do (and more), a PC can do. Even be on the go, if it's a laptop, though I somehow doubt the scope of the game includes it knowing if you're still at home or on a train, and even if it does, well, you might never be on a train while playing even if you do get it on iOS...

Top Bottom