• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

Very interesting interview. Ryan is definitely taking our insights seriously.

TS: What were some of your expectations when you launched?

RP: To be completely honest we had no idea what to expect. There were very well known people in the industry, very smart people being paid a lot of money for their opinions, who told us we were crazy for coming up with the $500K for the goal. We should be asking for $900,000. We should be asking for a million, for the full budget, because the trailer’s so good. The game is so solid. The reputation of the team and Logan is so strong that we’d be crazy not to ask for more money.

I honestly didn’t have anyone approach us and say that we were being too aggressive. A friend of mine told me recently that I’m kind of guilty of wearing my heart on my sleeve, and I make myself vulnerable. I think that’s probably true. I speak my mind. I was disappointed coming out of the gate, I thought we’d be stronger and I spent about three days talking to anybody who would listen or who would give me their opinion about what they thought was missing from the campaign. Why were we not stronger out of the gate?

What we’ve settled on as a team, is that it comes down to platform.

TS: The fact that it’s on iOS?

RP: We went into a space that up till now has only funded big PC games, and PC gamers are really excited and they’re being empowered. We went into that space and said ‘We know you guys love PC, but can you fund our iPad and iPhone game.’

The thing that’s frustrating to me is that there are people in the past week or so who’ve said ‘Hey Ryan, you’re an idiot because clearly Kickstarter is only for PC.’ I think it could have easily could have gone the other way and people would have been saying ‘You guys are really smart and really brave for being the first one’s out of the gate on iOS.’

TS: It’s still an untested…

RP: Exactly. Who knew?

There’s a lot of resistance to iOS and there’s a lot of resistance to touch based devices, and I totally empathize with people who are worried about their favorite game developers abandoning consoles or abandoning PC to work on throw away iPhone games. Some pretty terrible titles have been released for the App Store.

What we’re trying to do is make games that we would like to play on the iOS platform and really deign the game and write the game for that platform. I think that’s one of the hallmarks of a high quality studio is that they make games specifically for the platform. I think you see a lot of game studios getting in trouble becasue they port really good games to platforms that aren’t appropriate to them.

I’ve just been trying to appeal to the community and say: ‘We have a vision of the game. We’re with you. We don’t like what’s on iOS right now but we want to help provide that. We want to change the way that games are played.’

DiscoJer

There’s a lot of resistance to iOS and there’s a lot of resistance to touch based devices, and I totally empathize with people who are worried about their favorite game developers abandoning consoles or abandoning PC to work on throw away iPhone games. Some pretty terrible titles have been released for the App Store.

I think he's taking away the wrong message, though.

It's the first part of the statement that is the important one..."empathize with people who are worried about their favorite game developers abandoning consoles or abandoning PC"

Not so much the "to work on throw away iPhone games. Some pretty terrible titles have been released for the App Store."

I mean, smartphone gaming probably is the future - not of games like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope or Fruit Ninja, but AAA games, too. Probably 20 years from now, we'll be plugging them into a TV (or some sort of screen). If they aren't implanted into us or something.

But getting people who currently game on other devices to rush to embrace that future (and subsidize it, in this case) is a hard sale. It's not the quality of the games, it's the platform that I think many people simply object to. PC gamers in particular, have seen some of their favorite games get consolized, so they have to put up with them getting mobilized now.

And right now, there probably aren't enough smartphone owners willing to fund the development. I'm sure once the game is made, it will sell extremely well. But kickstarter is really about donations, not even pre-purchases.

volturnus

Banned
I think he's taking away the wrong message, though.

It's the first part of the statement that is the important one..."empathize with people who are worried about their favorite game developers abandoning consoles or abandoning PC"

Not so much the "to work on throw away iPhone games. Some pretty terrible titles have been released for the App Store."

I mean, smartphone gaming probably is the future - not of games like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope or Fruit Ninja, but AAA games, too. Probably 20 years from now, we'll be plugging them into a TV (or some sort of screen). If they aren't implanted into us or something.

But getting people who currently game on other devices to rush to embrace that future (and subsidize it, in this case) is a hard sale. It's not the quality of the games, it's the platform that I think many people simply object to. PC gamers in particular, have seen some of their favorite games get consolized, so they have to put up with them getting mobilized now.

And right now, there probably aren't enough smartphone owners willing to fund the development. I'm sure once the game is made, it will sell extremely well. But kickstarter is really about donations, not even pre-purchases.
Perhaps the ''one device does it all'' way could be the future indeed, but I can't see it happening, and it's for one reason and one reason only: it's bad for business.
Things were going down this path, but then Apple came with the iPad. We all know it's the iPod Touch with a bigger screen (and now better specs), but Apple had the money and the influence to make people want it, even though not a single person ever needed it.
The Asus Pad Transformer combo is more logical and cheaper, but they're no Apple.

Plus, you can change the way a device works and what it offers, but you can't suddenly change its audience without creating a new one.

Have people really called him an idiot? Well, I'm sure some have, but the majority of comments I have seen is: "Great idea for a game, but I really don't want to play it on a phone."

Then again GAF is not the world, though it is one of the places Ryan clearly sources for feedback.

I admire his seal, but I don't think the world is ready, and evidently Kickstarter is not the place to try untested idea, at least not when they require $500.000.

Maybe it's the same reason Vita is struggling. It's trying to be a Phone (in terms of games) and a console at the same time, and the audience who want those two combined simply does not exist to a large enough extend. I love the Uncharted Games myself, and borrowed a friends Vita to play its version of Uncharted, but the touch stuff has totally put me off. I also don't play games on my phone, despite being a pretty good one.

So while the premises for this game really sounds very very interesting, even if it came out for my phone, I would be unlikely to play it, so I'm even less likely to gamble a pledge, even a modest one, on this project.

Anyway, I do wish Ryan the best of luck, and maybe he will manage to beat the current and put out a great game, but I think he so far has shown that he is not reading his audience and the audience for the device he wants to develop for very well, which does not give me great confidence in his future endeavours (sorry for the harshness of this). I think at the moment he is risking more than the project, he's also risking to some extend his reputation.

border

The Asus Pad Transformer combo is more logical and cheaper, but they're no Apple.

Apple is a weird bird, in that they are oftentimes years ahead of the curve, but once they've set the curve they lag way behind competitors in terms of features. Think of how long it took them to put up the App Store or even adopt 3G. They could have gone 4G with the iPhone 4S, but still stuck to supporting a slower, more outdated standard. They didn't have a decent solution for Copy/Paste until several iterations of iOS. People scoffed at the iPad because "You could do so much more with a much cheaper netbook!", but didn't recognize that using a netbook was just a shitty experience. Apple recognizes a lot of good ideas, but don't explore them until the technology has matured enough to make for a good user experience.

In a surprisingly short amount of time, your phone is going to be as powerful as your laptop today. And in only a slightly longer amount of time, your phone will be as powerful as your desktop today. At that point you will just hook your phone up to a monitor, pair it will a bluetooth mouse/keyboard, and you won't own a desktop/laptop at all unless you are a serious power user. You might say that "Well the desktops and laptops of tomorrow will be much more powerful than the phones of tomorrow". This is undoubtedly true, but at some point the phone will be powerful enough for 90% of users that aren't interested in gaming or high-end photo editing or other very technical applications.

While it might be fun to pretend that your tablet can really be a computer by hooking an Asus Transformer up to a keyboard, it's still a pretty poor substitute. Once the technology is developed enough for phones and tablets to seriously allow them to be desktop/laptop substitutes, Apple will be ready to strike. Microsoft is trying to beat them to the punch by putting Windows 8 on tablets, but we'll see how that pans out.

Mario007

Apple is a weird bird, in that they are oftentimes years ahead of the curve, but once they've set the curve they lag way behind competitors in terms of features. Think of how long it took them to put up the App Store or even adopt 3G. They could have gone 4G with the iPhone 4S, but still stuck to supporting a slower, more outdated standard. They didn't have a decent solution for Copy/Paste until several iterations of iOS. People scoffed at the iPad because "You could do so much more with a much cheaper netbook!", but didn't recognize that using a netbook was just a shitty experience. Apple recognizes a lot of good ideas, but don't explore them until the technology has matured enough to make for a good user experience.

In a surprisingly short amount of time, your phone is going to be as powerful as your laptop today. And in only a slightly longer amount of time, your phone will be as powerful as your desktop today. At that point you will just hook your phone up to a monitor, pair it will a bluetooth mouse/keyboard, and you won't own a desktop/laptop at all unless you are a serious power user. You might say that "Well the desktops and laptops of tomorrow will be much more powerful than the phones of tomorrow". This is undoubtedly true, but at some point the phone will be powerful enough for 90% of users that aren't interested in gaming or high-end photo editing or other very technical applications.

While it might be fun to pretend that your tablet can really be a computer by hooking an Asus Transformer up to a keyboard, it's still a pretty poor substitute. Once the technology is developed enough for phones and tablets to seriously allow them to be desktop/laptop substitutes, Apple will be ready to strike. Microsoft is trying to beat them to the punch by putting Windows 8 on tablets, but we'll see how that pans out.

Asus Padfone says hello :)

szaromir

Banned
In a surprisingly short amount of time, your phone is going to be as powerful as your laptop today. And in only a slightly longer amount of time, your phone will be as powerful as your desktop today.

No, I don't think so. Scaling transistors isn't progressing as fast as it used to and there's simply no way you could include processing power of a modern 500W desktop PC in a phone 5 years from now.

Mobile devices are still veeeery inferior to my 2006 desktop PC. The progress is going to get even slower.

border

No, I don't think so. Scaling transistors isn't progressing as fast as it used to and there's simply no way you could include processing power of a modern 500W desktop PC in a phone 5 years from now.

Mobile devices are still veeeery inferior to my 2006 desktop PC. The progress is going to get even slower.

The iPad's already outputting better-than-HD resolutions and running stuff like Infinity Blade Dungeons. Where will it be in a few years?

We can argue about the timeline if you want, but it's going to happen sooner or later.

Most people don't even need a desktop that's all that powerful. The just want the internet, the email, and a few lightweight apps and games.

diffusionx

Gold Member

... and that 2006 desktop was still overkill for what most people do with their computers.

We hit the point of diminishing returns, in what people actually used their computers for, probably somewhere around 2003. Nowadays, powerful machines are important for high-end gaming (a niche), parallel computing (a niche), graphics work modeling (a niche), financial modeling (a niche), etc.

I actually think the issue is less the platform and more the lack of nostalgia. These large kickstarter projects have been fueled by nostalgia many long time gamers have for certain types of games. Even banner saga is fueled by a love for that art style and game type. If Schaefer had made an iOS game he still would have gotten a large amount of funding I think, maybe not as much but still very significant. This game looks very interesting but it doesn't stir the kind of nostalgic love that get a lot of people to sit up and donate beofore the game is even done.

HoodWinked

was anyone else reminded of that naomi hunter teaser when they saw republique's trailer?

they sorta copied the original promo materials for mgs4 where naomi was asking snake for help. yes he worked on mgs but still.

Not to mention that the 'As powerful as your desktop!' benchmark isn't static. Home/Work PCs will continue to develop, and probably faster than smartphones since they don't face the same size limitations.

We should be asking for $900,000. We should be asking for a million, for the full budget, because the trailer’s so good. The game is so solid. The reputation of the team and Logan is so strong that we’d be crazy not to ask for more money.

Good to see that the customer-blaming trend is extending into this new business model.

I actually think the issue is less the platform and more the lack of nostalgia. These large kickstarter projects have been fueled by nostalgia many long time gamers have for certain types of games. Even banner saga is fueled by a love for that art style and game type. If Schaefer had made an iOS game he still would have gotten a large amount of funding I think, maybe not as much but still very significant. This game looks very interesting but it doesn't stir the kind of nostalgic love that get a lot of people to sit up and donate beofore the game is even done.

I agree. There's little question that Camouflaj would be closer to their goal if the game were on PC, but as far as Kickstarter in general is concerned, Republique's problem is that it's too unique for its own good. There simply isn't a large audience clamoring for a stealth game with highly abstracted point-and-swipe controls on any platform.

How on earth are you reading that as blaming the customers? He's being candid about what his friends in the industry told him beforehand.

Reading the quote again I think I misread the fact "we should be asking for x dollars" were things being said to him, not being said by him.

At the same time I still get a "we're doing everything we can, we're just not being understood by gamers" vibe from the interview.

Also this:

‘You guys are really smart and really brave for being the first one’s out of the gate on iOS.’

Wot? How about Star Command? That project was even pre-Double Fine.

volturnus

Banned
Not to mention that the 'As powerful as your desktop!' benchmark isn't static. Home/Work PCs will continue to develop, and probably faster than smartphones since they don't face the same size limitations.
Not mention how lazy most people are. Most iPad owners use it to do things they could be doing on their desktop, i.e., browsing facebook, twitter and playing games that play just as well on a regular PC, but they'd rather do it laying on the couch.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Not mention how lazy most people are. Most iPad owners use it to do things they could be doing on their desktop, i.e., browsing facebook, twitter and playing games that play just as well on a regular PC, but they'd rather do it laying on the couch.

Yeah, wasting time is fine, wasting time while on your couch just makes you a lazy slob.

Jeff-DSA

I kicked in $10 even though I don't own an iOS device and I'm not a fan of mobile gaming aside from a few minutes here and there. If this was a 3DS/Vita/PC release, I'd be dropping down significantly more.

I actually don't think that the game even looks all that great, but I'm all for supporting developers who are trying to do something new and unique in any space, be it a platform I support or not.

novery

Are you sure about that? Is HL2 not amongst the best games on 360 despite being designed for a wholly different control interface? There are design decisions which resonate with the player regardless of the interface. Canabalt is amongst the best games on iOS, and it's equally good on PSP and PS3.

I'm completely sure about this. Isn't that why there's so much controversy anytime Blizzard hints about Diablo III on console? Whenever I jump into those threads, I see consistent messaging from the community that they'd want the game to be different and custom tailored for the console.

I also think back to when Invisible War and Thief III were designed for consoles first and PC second, and what we got was a pretty strange and inconsistent experience on both. More recently, I've been playing Snake Eater 3DS (the original is my favorite game of all-time) but just doesn't translate well to portable play because, obviously, it wasn't designed for the system.

I think there are exceptions to the rule though. Portal 2 was pretty awesome on both.

Interesting enough for some reason the Kickstarter has some traction again, almost 4k in the last day, the best day since the first four days.
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/486250632/republique-by-camouflaj-logan/

Yeah, the team's really excited! We're hoping the videos we've got planned for today, tomorrow and Friday will continue the momentum.

border

Home/Work PCs will continue to develop, and probably faster than smartphones since they don't face the same size limitations.

Doesn't really matter though. As pointed out earlier, nobody really needs a more powerful PC besides enthusiasts. Unless there is some new, broadly adopted technology that requires continuing leaps in power there is no reason to buy a new computer. I imagine most people at this point only get new laptops because the old one breaks or Windows has turned into the slow, bloated mess that it normally does after years of use and/or misuse.

The computer is going to be an appliance, for all intents and purposes. Maybe the oven you bought 5 years ago isn't as awesome and powerful as the ovens of today, but you don't feel like you need to buy a new oven because of it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The iPad's already outputting better-than-HD resolutions and running stuff like Infinity Blade Dungeons. Where will it be in a few years?

We can argue about the timeline if you want, but it's going to happen sooner or later.

Most people don't even need a desktop that's all that powerful. The just want the internet, the email, and a few lightweight apps and games.
"Outputting", yes, but not doing it well. The massive jump in resolution has actually ruined performance in a lot of games that attempt to target the native resolution. I'm sure things will continue to improve, but mobile 3D chipsets simply weren't ready for such a high resolution.

Hell, even my GTX580 takes a pretty significant hit when jumping from 1080p to iPad resolution. For tablet computing, the high resolution is awesome, but it's actually a bit of a downer for games.

I'll be eager to see if IB Dungeons actually runs at native resolution. All of the UE3 games with new iPad support CLAIM to render in high resolution but they actually just upscale from a resolution slightly higher than 1024x768. I'd be willing to be that Dungeons will either do the same or run at a very poor framerate (probably the former).

Still, you're point about visual quality increases dramatically on the mobile side seems true. Things have been improving dramatically each year.

I only mention this as I've been very disappointed with these performance issues. They updated Aquaria to native resolution, for instance, which as crippled the framerate (used to be a smooth 60 fps now it dips constantly). For such a simplistic 2D game that's pretty disappointing.

Hari Seldon

Should have led with PC. iOS games are for entertaining my baby or a newspaper substitute in the crapper. Lead on PC, get your funding and satisfy your core audience, and then port to iOS to capture extra monies.

You can bump up resolution all you want but screen size is a factor when you are making a game this detailed for a iPhone screen.

I see this as great looking on an iPad but a super squinty affair on my iTouch.

Einbroch

Banned
TS: What were some of your expectations when you launched?

RP: To be completely honest we had no idea what to expect. There were very well known people in the industry, very smart people being paid a lot of money for their opinions, who told us we were crazy for coming up with the $500K for the goal. We should be asking for $900,000. We should be asking for a million, for the full budget, because the trailer’s so good. The game is so solid. The reputation of the team and Logan is so strong that we’d be crazy not to ask for more money.

Seriously? Wow. Way to be humble.

Edit: Reread, but it does can come across as if he saying that he should be entitled to more. I take back what I said, but it is poorly worded.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm completely sure about this. Isn't that why there's so much controversy anytime Blizzard hints about Diablo III on console? Whenever I jump into those threads, I see consistent messaging from the community that they'd want the game to be different and custom tailored for the console.

I also think back to when Invisible War and Thief III were designed for consoles first and PC second, and what we got was a pretty strange and inconsistent experience on both. More recently, I've been playing Snake Eater 3DS (the original is my favorite game of all-time) but just doesn't translate well to portable play because, obviously, it wasn't designed for the system.

I think there are exceptions to the rule though. Portal 2 was pretty awesome on both.
People are concerned about the inevitable Diablo 3 port because they want to believe that the few remaining kings of PC gaming are slowly moving to consoles and they want to retain an air of elitism around certain developers. Lots of people loved Diablo on PS1, and Torchlight on 360, and the console port of Diablo 3 will be very well received, and most likely an excellent product. Certainly it will be different, and yes, people want that, require it even, Diablo needs fairly precise attack positioning, but the game's qualities will translate.

Invisible War is shit on Xbox, so I don't really see the logic of that inclusion, it's shit on both platforms, it wasn't an excellent game that lost it's quality in transition, I don't think that's the generally accepted belief either. Snake Eater is an interesting one, there are significant performance issues with that port, there are perception issues with the scope in regards to handhelds too for many people, myself included. Can you realistically say PO is a better portable game though? I realize it would be difficult to hold an objective stance on that, but it was (as far as I know) convinced specifically for the PSP.

Not all games can be moved to any interface of course, what makes people enjoy WiiBoxing would, without question, be lost moving it to almost any other form of interface. But I would say for the most part, great games are great despite the interface. All a joypad, or a keyboard/mouse, or a Wiimote, or a Kinect is trying to do is allow you to interact with the simulation with as little cognitive dissonance they can muster. There are even games which have been notably improved with movements to different interfaces, FPS's initially played solely with a keyboard were instantly improved with mouse implementation, improved further with full mouse look.

The system may well be capable of many touches and various sweeping motions, things that make it fairly unique in terms of gaming devices, however the most loved games have in common simplicity of control. Angry Birds could perfectly be played on a mouse, Jetpack Joyride could be played on anything people game on. The chances are, if this game is impossible on another platform, it's too involved to be great for the form factor itself.

Embracing everything a platform offers is honorable, but it's also sophomoric.

Doesn't really matter though. As pointed out earlier, nobody really needs a more powerful PC besides enthusiasts.

But isn't it the enthusiasts who clamour to purchase these latest and greatest smartphones? The normal consumer may collect one from the buffet of choices, but they only really move on to a new model once their old one has stopped working (manufactured obsolescence?), just like they do when their home computer/car/tv/random product starts to fail. Put another way, smartphones are for most people mere appliances.

M3d10n

The iPad is not a smartphone. It's a netbook without a keyboard, a touch screen and a bigger battery. The first iPad was a low-risk affair using straight-on smartphone hardware, yes, but with the iPad 2 Apple made better use of the available volume and TDP. The power increase of the new iPad is pathetic in comparison: the GPU power was doubled (probably matching the GPU on the Vita), but running at native res would require quadruple the fillrate.

Also, memory bandwidth is hardly increasing in mobile space, and this is the crucial difference between a shitty and a godlike GPU. Clever tricks like deferred rasterizing and unified shader processors can only push things so far.

Since it uses a completely custom OS, it can use ARM instead of X86 and do away with several standard PC components found in netbooks and feature a slightly smaller motherboard and increased battery life. But don't be fooled: the raw specs are still in netbook-range, regardless of retina-display or not.

However, the iPad gets games made specifically for it's hardware, so they can both look and run better than PC games running on netbooks. I'm sure any NVidia netbook would be able to run Infinity Blade 2 at 30fps 1080p if it were given the chance, but nobody makes PC games like that.

numble

But isn't it the enthusiasts who clamour to purchase these latest and greatest smartphones? The normal consumer may collect one from the buffet of choices, but they only really move on to a new model once their old one has stopped working (manufactured obsolescence?), just like they do when their home computer/car/tv/random product starts to fail. Put another way, smartphones are for most people mere appliances.
No, they'll switch phones when the carrier offers an upgrade. If I sign up for a free iPhone 3GS today, and in 18-24 months my carrier says, "Hey, you can now get a free iPhone 4S," I'm switching right up. The iPhone 3GS was the 3rd most popular iPhone bought last quarter, and it's not enthusiasts gobbling up those sales.

border

The iPad is not a smartphone. It's a netbook without a keyboard, a touch screen and a bigger battery.

The iPad is still pretty indicative of where smartphones are going, I'd say.

I don't think tablets and phones will really cut it as enthusiast gaming devices for a long while, but it will be interesting to see what happens to PC gaming when most people won't own a desktop or even a laptop.

What about watching HD video on your computer? Most people probably needed a hardware power increase for that.

I can already play back HD video on a smartphone. My HTPC is from 2007 and it plays back HD content without a hitch.

Cool video. So how much of the game is actually done already? He was talking about things being up and running and it confused me.

Well he keeps describing it as a Metroidvania style of exploration, and the trailer only showed one room that looked finished as far as I could tell. He mentioned they were working on another and that we might get to see it, so I'm guessing they're still fairly early on in creating the actual content.

Anyways, they breached 90k today. I attribute the boost to the plug from Penny Arcade:

Then you have projects like Republique, which are simply too beautiful to live; I mean, that’s not getting kicked, right? Unbelievably professional pitch, strong concept, but this is the opposite of a Kickstarter, and might actually be a Kickstopper.
Ryan, I really think it's not too late. If you want to make the Kickstarter goal just give us the good news about the platforms!

Sallokin

Ryan, I really think it's not too late. If you want to make the Kickstarter goal just give us the good news about the platforms!

They're saying on FB that they have a "BIG" announcement tomorrow. It can only be what you're referring to right? I'm genuinely excited to hear it.

I (and a few others) have said this before, but I think you're being very naive.

I don't recall anyone telling me that before. If it had launched as a PC game from the beginning I'm certain it would have made the goal on the strength of its pitch and the uniqueness of the concept. If something like FTL can pull 200k and if The Banner Saga could pull over 700k, I see no reason to believe that Republique could not do 500k. The level of interest is high. They had a million hits on the page, media coverage across the web, and this thread is packed with posts saying they want the game, just not on the present platform.

I'm under no illusions about the uphill battle the project will now face, especially since a lot of people have already written it off as a phone game. The well has been poisoned to some extent, no doubt. The clock is also running out. However the simple fact is that if they want any hope of making their goal, a PC announcement is required. The sooner, the better. And yes, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that they can still make their goal.

I (and a few others) have said this before, but I think you're being very naive.

Yup.

I'll just repeat myself: I like the concept of a story-driven stealth game with abstracted tap-and-swipe controls - I put in my $10, after all - but I don't believe there's $500,000 worth of an audience clamoring for that, regardless of platform. PC is simply not the only common denominator of the other successful six/seven-figure gaming Kickstarters.

If it had launched as a PC game from the beginning I'm certain it would have made the goal on the strength of its pitch and the uniqueness of the concept.

Agree to disagree. One can never prove or disprove a counterfactual, but I think it would have failed precisely because of the uniqueness of the concept.

Yup.

I'll just repeat myself: I like the concept of a story-driven stealth game with abstracted tap-and-swipe controls - I put in my $10, after all - but I don't believe there's $500,000 worth of an audience clamoring for that, regardless of platform. PC is simply not the only common denominator of the other successful six/seven-figure gaming Kickstarters.

Would you have foreseen $200,000 worth of interest in FTL? $700,000 worth of interest in The Banner Saga? Two things sell on Kickstarter: uniqueness and nostalgia.

Would you have foreseen $200,000 worth of interest in FTL? $700,000 worth of interest in The Banner Saga? Two things sell on Kickstarter: uniqueness and nostalgia.

Admittedly, probably not in both cases, but both titles (particularly TBS) adhere far more closely to existing genres that have already proven popular on PC than does Republique.

I'm a funder. I honestly hope I'm wrong on this one.

Top Bottom