• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't recall anyone telling me that before. If it had launched as a PC game from the beginning I'm certain it would have made the goal on the strength of its pitch and the uniqueness of the concept. If something like FTL can pull 200k and if The Banner Saga could pull over 700k, I see no reason to believe that Republique could not do 500k. The level of interest is high. They had a million hits on the page, media coverage across the web, and this thread is packed with posts saying they want the game, just not on the present platform.

I'm under no illusions about the uphill battle the project will now face, especially since a lot of people have already written it off as a phone game. The well has been poisoned to some extent, no doubt. The clock is also running out. However the simple fact is that if they want any hope of making their goal, a PC announcement is required. The sooner, the better. And yes, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that they can still make their goal.

The well has been poisoned, but not due to the Kickstarter's lack of success. It was their dedication to the iOS platform, in my opinion. Even if they come and say they'll develop it for the PC, it's pretty clear to everyone who paid attention to this at all that their hearts wouldn't be in it. They want to make in iOS game, but would be promising some kind of PC version just to get funding. I wouldn't be confident in that, personally. Plus, those who are excited for the iOS version would then have to worry about their preferred version getting compromised due to the development of a PC version.

I think turning this around is going to be very difficult. I like the concept a lot, but I don't like the platform. Even if they announced a PC version now, I'd be very suspicious of it.

FoneBone

Still think that the platform issue isn't really the crux of it at all. What this guy said a few pages back:
My problem, Payton, is that anyone can pitch an idea. The sort of people who can sell a game are those that didn't strive for the glamorous and grandiose when they first started earning their stripes, but rather earnt their stripes but working their asses off proving some basic skills to their audience. They created something that proves that they're more than ideas-men. They're more than a story in a video game. They're more than throwing money at motion-capture sessions. They're more than "emotionally-moving" cutscenes. They're more than expensive voice-acting. They're more than the topic-of-the-month in the news. They're more than a stringer at the end of a trailer. They proved that they can get shit done, on-time, on-target to a relevant audience and on-budget (else have a firm understanding of why they weren't and can demonstrate how they'll avoid it in the future).

I haven't seen any real evidence that there's much of a strategy for getting people interested in this game other than "I know there's people who want AAA games on the iOS platform and I know people would play more games if they were more readily accessible, and I want to be the one to prove it". That's not something I can get behind. It feels like team of creators who want to make something because it's sexy, rather than practical. A top-down, concept-driven approach to design is all well and good if you're either working with a proven team or a very-low-budget (indie, for lack of a better word) title, but I struggle to get behind it when I'm being pitched that sort of thing from people that haven't earnt their stripes as a team. I'm much more impressed when I see a damn solid bottom-up, design-driven pitch from new teams. It tells me that the team has their priorities in order. It tells me that they'll be able to reasonably budget and schedule the project. It tells me that they're not in it for the sexiness of the project, they're in it because they have some solid, fleshed-out gameplay-driven ideas that they believe they can implement 'better' (or at least differently) than anyone else.

The iOS thing is probably a problem, but I feel like it's only a symptom of the larger problem with the pitch, and perhaps even the project in general. I'd hope that moving forward, successful or not, that larger-lessons are learnt. If not just for this team, than certainly for others looking to start projects on Kickstarter.

Admittedly, probably not in both cases, but both titles (particularly TBS) adhere far more closely to existing genres that have already proven popular on PC than does Republique.

I'm a funder. I honestly hope I'm wrong on this one.

I don't know about that. PC gamers are pretty much willing to play anything from broken console ports (Saints Row 2) to ultra hardcore flight sims (A-10 Warthog). The mindset of a PC gamer is just different, even if you release a broken game, there's usually a willingness in the community to fix it as long as the concept is interesting. A game like Republique would have easily been a best seller on Steam.

I don't understand why the guy decided to make it an iOS exclusive unless there were specific features of an iPhone/iPad that required it. If you're going to do a Kickstarter for a video game, wouldn't it make sense to do it for a platform that would have the widest audience of hardcore gamers?

It was their dedication to the iOS platform, in my opinion. Even if they come and say they'll develop it for the PC, it's pretty clear to everyone who paid attention to this at all that their hearts wouldn't be in it.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Ryan has said consistently that if they were to make a PC version, they would want to retool the story and the interface to fit and take advantage of the platform. If it were really a sloppy endeavor they could just port the game straight up and make us pretend that we're still on a phone. It's true that they've put a lot of emphasis on what they plan to do with touch controls, but one of the reasons we never gave up hounding Ryan for a port was because it was originally announced for Steam a long time ago before they decided they didn't have the resources. I have no doubt that a PC version would be up to snuff.

FoneBone

I don't know about that. PC gamers are pretty much willing to play anything from broken console ports (Saints Row 2) to ultra hardcore flight sims (A-10 Warthog). The mindset of a PC gamer is just different, even if you release a broken game, there's usually a willingness in the community to fix it as long as the concept is interesting. A game like Republique would have easily been a best seller on Steam.

I don't understand why the guy decided to make it an iOS exclusive unless there were specific features of an iPhone/iPad that required it. If you're going to do a Kickstarter for a video game, wouldn't it make sense to do it for a platform that would have the widest audience of hardcore gamers?

I think he's just talking about it in terms of the Kickstarter. Whether the game itself could succeed commercially is another matter.

I think he's just talking about it in terms of the Kickstarter. Whether the game itself could succeed commercially is another matter.

Oh, I guess that makes a little more sense with that clarification.

But even then, is there a huge audience for iOS games beyond the standard pick up and play types? (not an insulting question, I'm genuinely curious)

Basch

Cheers. I'm glad someone read it.

I couldn't find your post to quote, but I tried. So this will have to do, but I disagree with many of your assertions. You're assuming the general public who help kickstart these games actually recognize not only the teams but the talent behind them. This is bogus. Most people have no idea who the people are that make their games or why they should care. Most can't even appreciate what they have to offer. All they really have to go off of is an idea.

Proving yourself from the bottom-up can help for the hardcore audience. For example let's say Naughty Dog or Epic tried to kickstart a couple of their projects. Wouldn't ever happen, but I'm sure they'd easily reach their goals regardless of the concept. They're a well known studio, and the label sells a lot. If someone who remembers Uncharted 2 happens upon Naughty Dog's page, they might be more willing to kickstart the project.

The problem comes in when you assume a team that has a certain reputation is the same team that is now kickstarting that specific project. Teams don't stay the same. People leave, quit, resign, whatever. There's all sorts of factors that can change the dynamic of a team. Often times with new projects comes new members. The teams are generally never the same.

For instance people will cheer when Persona 5 is announced, but what if the director nor writer of Persona 3/4 was on board. The vast majority of people wouldn't care. They'd probably have someone new at the helm. Just take Zwei as an example. Shinji Mikami is a God, yet he's only the executive producer for the game yet people are celebrating as if he was the director himself. No, some other guy is directing Zwei, a relatively new guy. Just like the director for Bayonetta (more to do with his affiliation than directing credentials, which were insanely good), yet we all know how that turned out (one of the best action games of all-time).

So yeah, a label helps, but don't kid yourself thinking that people care about the staff. It's a sad truth. But with more exposure comes more appreciation. In other words, give these guys a chance. They might be green, relatively speaking, but they deserve the chance to prove themselves, especially with such a great idea. I love how artistic the project sounds. I love their sources of inspiration and their focus. The philosophy is mostly align with my own, and I think that is enough to drop at least $10 on.

The ambition is half the fight, IMO. You might be one of the best teams ever and are well known for meeting your deadlines, excellence in engineering, and all sorts of other technicalities, but if you don't have a great idea. It's worthless. Take Gears of War for example, the game is really fun and brilliantly designed if you ignore everything that's being said throughout the game. The story was so bad. The dialogue even worse. It was one of the first games I considered muting my TV for--and turning off subtitles! I was so annoyed. How could a game be so terrible in terms of writing and execution? My enjoyment of the game dropped considerably, that's how much story, writing, and ideas can affect a game.

And you're going to find as this market expands for the same truth to hold as well for millions of other people. People who read books, watch movies, and/or listen to music have the same expectations. The idea or the ambition is just as important as the game mechanics. All of these aesthetics contribute to the overall enjoyment of said game/book/movie/tv show/song etc. Game mechanics mean nothing without a nicely laid out story/idea/group of characters. For some, I suppose the mechanics is everything, which would be why games like Gears of War sell so well, but keep in mind that there are others out there that completely disagree and have different expectations. So don't act like the problem lies in the philosophy. Most people will not notice or care, in fact, if people did know I'd bet the majority would love it.

No, I'm sure the problem has more to do with exposure, the typical iOS customer not being accustomed to such games or what they have to offer, etc. Anyways, I said my piece. I probably come across as a little crazy, but I'm an aspiring designer as well so game design philosophy is a pretty big deal to me.

/rant

Also worth noting, the campaign received over $7,000 in pledges over the last three days, I think... going off primarily estimations. But that seems to be a lot better than the week before. Maybe it's just me, but it looks like the project is getting a lot of traction now.

numble

I couldn't find your post to quote, but I tried. So this will have to do, but I disagree with many of your assertions. You're assuming the general public who help kickstart these games actually recognize not only the teams but the talent behind them. This is bogus. Most people have no idea who the people are that make their games or why they should care. Most can't even appreciate what they have to offer. All they really have to go off of is an idea.

Proving yourself from the bottom-up can help for the hardcore audience. For example let's say Naughty Dog or Epic tried to kickstart a couple of their projects. Wouldn't ever happen, but I'm sure they'd easily reach their goals regardless of the concept. They're a well known studio, and the label sells a lot. If someone who remembers Uncharted 2 happens upon Naughty Dog's page, they might be more willing to kickstart the project.

The problem comes in when you assume a team that has a certain reputation is the same team that is now kickstarting that specific project. Teams don't stay the same. People leave, quit, resign, whatever. There's all sorts of factors that can change the dynamic of a team. Often times with new projects comes new members. The teams are generally never the same.

For instance people will cheer when Persona 5 is announced, but what if the director nor writer of Persona 3/4 was on board. The vast majority of people wouldn't care. They'd probably have someone new at the helm. Just take Zwei as an example. Shinji Mikami is a God, yet he's only the executive producer for the game yet people are celebrating as if he was the director himself. No, some other guy is directing Zwei, a relatively new guy. Just like the director for Bayonetta (more to do with his affiliation than directing credentials, which were insanely good), yet we all know how that turned out (one of the best action games of all-time).

So yeah, a label helps, but don't kid yourself thinking that people care about the staff. It's a sad truth. But with more exposure comes more appreciation. In other words, give these guys a chance. They might be green, relatively speaking, but they deserve the chance to prove themselves, especially with such a great idea. I love how artistic the project sounds. I love their sources of inspiration and their focus. The philosophy is mostly align with my own, and I think that is enough to drop at least $10 on.

The ambition is half the fight, IMO. You might be one of the best teams ever and are well known for meeting your deadlines, excellence in engineering, and all sorts of other technicalities, but if you don't have a great idea. It's worthless. Take Gears of War for example, the game is really fun and brilliantly designed if you ignore everything that's being said throughout the game. The story was so bad. The dialogue even worse. It was one of the first games I considered muting my TV for--and turning off subtitles! I was so annoyed. How could a game be so terrible in terms of writing and execution? My enjoyment of the game dropped considerably, that's how much story, writing, and ideas can affect a story.

And you're going to find as this market expands for the same truth to hold as well for millions of other people. People who read books, watch movies, and/or listen to music have the same expectations. The idea or the ambition is just as important as the game mechanics. All of these aesthetics contribute to the overall enjoyment of said game/book/movie/tv show/song etc. Game mechanics mean nothing without a nicely laid out story/idea/group of characters. For some, I suppose the mechanics is everything, which would be why games like Gears of War sell so well, but keep in mind that there are others out there that completely disagree and have different expectations. So don't act like the problem lies in the philosophy. Most people will not notice or care, in fact, if people did know I'd bet the majority would love it.

No, I'm sure the problem has more to do with exposure, the typical iOS customer not being accustomed to such games or what they have to offer, etc. Anyways, I said my peace. I probably come across as a little crazy, but I'm an aspiring designer as well so game design philosophy is a pretty big deal to me.

/rant

Also worth noting, the campaign received over $7,000 in pledges over the last three days, I think... going off primarily estimations. But that seems to be a lot better than the week before. Maybe it's just me, but it looks like the project is getting a lot of traction now.

Tim Schafer.

Basch

Tim Schafer.

Understandable, but even with as much as he raised that was 88,000 pledges. 88,000 people. In order to turn profit, which if they afforded the whole budget would be easy, they'd need to sell to a lot more people. That is mostly the hardcore who know of him pledging. I'm sure there are some casuals, but the market camoflag is targeting probably hasn't or won't kickstart many projects and if they do it'd be stuff the hardcore iOS user is more accustomed to or is desirable. This is a semi-new approach to the market (Infinity Blade), with a much more artistic and subtle direction. Audience and all that, but I agree that that project's response in particular is astonishing and shows just how much the hardcore care.

"Said my piece".

/asshole mode off, sorry

No, it's okay. I'm a grammar nazi, myself. I typed that up in 15 minutes and am spending 30+ minutes correcting it. lol Nice catch! I could never figure out that idiom.

You're assuming the general public who help kickstart these games actually recognize not only the teams but the talent behind them. This is bogus.

No, it isn't. The most successful projects have seen the name mean as much as the product being pitched.

Most people have no idea who the people are that make their games or why they should care. Most can't even appreciate what they have to offer. All they really have to go off of is an idea.

Kickstarter folks do. If the name is obscure, the pitch itself is more deeply scrutinized. FTL didn't have the name, but they had a solid production plan and a demo to showcase. Banner Saga had something similar.

dLMN8R

holy crap 500k for a iOS game... what the hell is this guy thinking

There are many issues with this game's proposal, but the budget is not one of them. What, exactly, do you think other iOS games cost to create? What specific games, and how did you determine how much you thought they took to make?

500k would barely fund a team of 5-6 people to work for decent wages for a year, especially after the usual business costs of office space, lawyers, and other stuff.

Are you trying to say that 5-6 people working for a year on an iOS game is unreasonable or at all unrealistic?

You, thecommunity have spoken and we have listened! Today Camouflaj and Logan are proudto announce that we’re now prepping a unique version of République for both thePC and Mac platforms, alongside the originally announced iOS version of the game.
This won’tbe some basic, simple port. No copy-paste. The team has spent the past weekdrafting up a smart plan to deliver a special version of République featuring newgameplay, controls and story elements tailored to the strengths of the PC andMac platforms.
We’vealtered some of the tiers and added some new ones to give you more pledgingoptions based on what platform you prefer. Cool, huh?!
On behalf ofeveryone here at Camouflaj, we thank you for your support, feedback, andsuggestions in helping…
Keep HopeAlive.
B
no excuse now gaf. Throw the money!

FoneBone

Welp. Prove me wrong. While I know the "put-this-on-PC" crowd has been extremely vocal, I think it's far from the biggest impediment to $500K.

novery

Thanks, guys. We're pretty excited!

One cool thing we did yesterday was film the team decision to go PC and Mac (in a coffee shop with screaming babies in the background, no less). Really good discussion. I'm editing that vid tonight and hoping to post that sometime next week.

novery

I'm missing the part of the video where you explain why you have to charge more for the PC version...

More features. We cover some of that in the video coming next week. Ezra (the guy near the end of the video) talks about some of the things we'll be adding to the game. Gonna be good.

One cool thing we did yesterday was film the team decision to go PC and Mac (in a coffee shop with screaming babies in the background, no less). Really good discussion. I'm editing that vid tonight and hoping to post that sometime next week.

Are you going to be showing the iPhone case, t-shirt, and hoodie?

zroid

Banned
Well, I promised! Will increase my pledge shortly ^_^

Hmmm... now the thread title might be interpreted as if the game were only for PC + Mac. :(

Why isn't there like a $20 pledge that gets you both versions now?

PaulLFC

I may be mistaken, but I think I've seen some other Kickstarters increase the time left before the end of donations after they've begun - could this be done here to give people more time to pledge and reach 500k maybe?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Now we're talking, Ryan!

Now, my only question before pledging is: In the scenario that the game gets published into Steam, is it granted that you will handle keys and the game is gonna be Steamplay supported, right?

Omikaru

Good god, I'm so tempted to up my pledge so I can get both versions, but to get there is $60 + $10 for international shipping. I'd have to find a way to budget for that (and honestly, I'm a broke-ass student). A big shame that you can't create a $25 option that nets us both editions of the game. I may just add $5 to my pledge, get the PC version and buy the iOS version if/when it comes out if that's the case, but I'd really like to help the Kickstarter along with a significantly bigger pledge.

I'm glad you guys went to PC though. I know it must've been a tough decision, but I'm thinking it'll pay off. Good luck guys! :)

I think we just announced PC and Mac...

Really hope I'm wrong, that the platform choice was the only major issue with this pitch after all, and that this works out for you guys; right now, I predict it'll stall out again after a few days of contributions in the low five figures. Good luck.

Fantastic news. There's still a chance for this to hit its goal but the word needs to get around everywhere.

Somebody needs to change the title of this thread. There's a lot of unregistered lurkers here who use NeoGAF as a gaming news site. That's what I have been using this site for, before I ever made an account.

snaffles

I think we just announced PC and Mac...

Do you feel that you will have to change the scope of your original project because of this? How do you plan to make three versions of the game using the same budget that you had previously allocated to making one version?

Mrbob

How does that 15 dollar tier work? Do you just get the PC version?

Can I recommend a 20 dollar tier to get both the PC and ios standard versions.

Gonna pledge 15 bucks later tonight when I get home.

Welp. Prove me wrong. While I know the "put-this-on-PC" crowd has been extremely vocal, I think it's far from the biggest impediment to $500K.

I agree at this point it is going to be tough. This is an announcement midway through the kickstarter. It will depend on how word gets out on various PC sites and forums.

boingball

Removed my pledge. The original appeal of the pledge is gone and the Kickstarter has failed.

And anyone, since now the millions will be pouring in (as we learned in this thread), it doesn't need my money anymore and I can wait until becomes free app of the day on the app store.

Removed my pledge. The original appeal of the pledge is gone and the Kickstarter has failed.

And anyone, since now the millions will be pouring in (as we learned in this thread), it doesn't need my money anymore and I can wait until becomes free app of the day on the app store.

You phone gamers are so salty.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.

I said wow.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Do you feel that you will have to change the scope of your original project because of this? How do you plan to make three versions of the game using the same budget that you had previously allocated to making one version?

The engine is multi-platform, IIRC.

Top Bottom