• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

wrowa

They waited for too long imo. Announcing a PC version was the right thing to do, but at this point the general atmosphere surrounding this project is already too negative and its hard to change the way people regard it this late into the kickstarter. I believe it might be a lost cause at this point, to be honest.

Seeing this graph and seeing how the PC/Mac announcement spike is probably almost over it still doesn't look like this will come even close to 500k.

I have to wonder how much of this boost comes directly from NeoGAF? Have there been other gaming sites that picked this news up?

Also, I wonder what caused it to generate $35k so fast on day one, and why did it drop so quickly? Was it just blind pledging on the first day?

Welp, guess I'll get in on it now... altho, might want to wait to see some more details about PC control ideas.

There's really no harm in pledging. Kickstarter won't take any money out of your bank account until after the Kickstarter has ended and the project has met its goal. If the project doesn't meet it's goal before the cut off date, then nothing is going to happen to your money.

Apple discussion on this forum has become worse than it ever has.

That post wasn't from this forum, it was from the comment section on the Kickstarter page.

Tell me about it. It gets worse with each Apple thread. Arguments become more baseless and escalate to blatant hate.

I don't think that's an accurate representation of the arguments in this thread before the announcement.

numble

Are you trying to defend Touch Arcade? If so then you should be unsurprised by any hate you receive.

You seemed to be talking about the demographic of iOS gamers when you made that remark.

IF said:
And that illustrates perfectly the difference in how the two demographics think. One is awash in mediocrity and content to wallow in it, turning their nose up at anything that is not delivered to them on a silver platter. The other will fly to the moon and back for you if only they could get a shot at excellence. If Ryan ever chooses to come home to the community he belongs to, I have no doubt that we would prove it.

To Ryan I say again: Do not cast pearls before swine. Come home. We're waiting.

SmokyDave

Are you trying to defend Touch Arcade? If so then you should be unsurprised by any hate you receive.
Ah, you were talking about Touch Arcade. Didn't seem that way in the context of your posts, but fair enough.

Edit: Oh, no, there we go. Thanks numble, I thought I'd read that correctly.

Ah, you were talking about Touch Arcade. Didn't seem that way in the context of your posts, but fair enough.

Edit: Oh, no, there we go. Thanks numble, I thought I'd read that correctly.

Numble has been on my ignore list for the majority of the thread for a reason. Read the entire post again, then go back and look at the context where I first used it. Then think about what it means to "say again". It's absolutely ridiculous that I have to spell this out, but Numble gonna Numble.

SmokyDave

Numble has been on my ignore list for the majority of the thread for a reason. Read the entire post again, then go back and look at the context where I first used it. Then think about what it means to "say again". It's absolutely ridiculous that I have to spell this out, but Numble gonna Numble.

Actually, numble gonna quote the relevant post:

And that illustrates perfectly the difference in how the two demographics think. One is awash in mediocrity and content to wallow in it, turning their nose up at anything that is not delivered to them on a silver platter. The other will fly to the moon and back for you if only they could get a shot at excellence. If Ryan ever chooses to come home to the community he belongs to, I have no doubt that we would prove it.

It really doesn't matter though, you're in good company. I love the use of 'again' because it could well mean you're technically talking about Touch Arcade, but with some totally disjointed paragraph about demographics just above it.

So what does "home" mean --- respected media outlets? Come on man, you were clearly talking about the iOS demographic.

numble

Okay, you can split hairs and say pearls before swine is specifically about Touch Arcade, but the first paragraph that I quoted, about the iOS demographic content to be wallowing in mediocrity, is just as bad.

That's not the entire post, and he avoided linking back to it for a reason. Tell me again that the subject of that post is not Touch Arcade. It was literally part of an argument about Touch Arcade's coverage. If you don't want to read I can't help you, but don't ever fall for Numble's shit.
So are you saying that the "two demographics" you're referring to here are demographics of the gaming press? That seems a little... odd.

And if that's the case, I'm assuming "the community" is talking about the same group. You went on to say "we," which implies that you are part of that community. Do you work for the gaming press?

So are you saying that the "two demographics" you're referring to here are demographics of the gaming press? That seems a little... odd.

I'm saying that the pearls before swine comment was referring to Touch Arcade and Ryan's misguided attempts to reach out to them, and that much should be obvious to anyone with adequate reading comprehension. My observations about the two demographics are something I absolutely stand behind, and something that the people who matter (developers) found compelling.

SmokyDave

I'm saying that the pearls before swine comment was referring to Touch Arcade and Ryan's misguided attempts to reach out to them, and that much should be obvious to anyone with adequate reading comprehension. My observations about the two demographics are something I absolutely stand behind, and something that the people who matter (developers) found compelling.

Obvious linguistic ambiguity aside, I really hope the bolded is just in your head. You're just one guy on a forum that put forward a speculative opinion, not the gospel truth.

numble

That's not the entire post, and he avoided linking back to it for a reason. Tell me again that the subject of that post is not Touch Arcade. It was literally part of an argument about Touch Arcade's coverage. If you don't want to read I can't help you, but don't ever fall for Numble's shit.
An argument that TouchArcade's coverage reflects the iOS demographic. You followed it up by saying Hodapp has a big following (he has less than 5000 followers).

If I am misreading your writing, than I misread, but I'm not trying to mislead. When you talk about "two demographics" it sounds like you're talking about iOS gamers vs PC/core gamers. I never interpreted as gaming press demographics of iOS gaming press vs the core gaming press (it's odd since IGN mobile's coverage has been pretty good).

So adequate reading comprehension should compel me to completely disconnect this:

from the statement that directly follows it:

Just because the Touch Arcade debacle sparked your comment doesn't mean it's impossible for you to expand the scope of it, which you clearly did in the comments everyone is quoting.

Anyway, you seem convinced that you can defend this so I'll drop it, but it seems very dishonest on your part to act like the connection we're commenting on isn't an easy one to make.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Have zero issue with them deciding not to cover kick-starters. If any of the gaming sites I follow started to/continued to post about every damn kickstarter I'd stop reading their news sections.

The editor being a jerk on twitter, well yeah he was a jerk.

numble

If your paragraph immediately preceding the "pears before swine" comment is about iOS gamers content to wallow in mediocrity, it's not a stretch for people to interpret that comment as concluding the previous paragraph (talking about iOS gamers). Especially when you contrast that with telling them to "come home."

Leave TouchArcade and come home to us core gamers, we're waiting.
Leave iOS gamers and come home to us core gamers, we're waiting.

Which one is a better/plausible interpretation? I guess I just interpreted it wrong. No need to go on an ad hominem attack.

Crub

Pledged $20.

Sadly I think it's too late for them too reach the goal. They really shot themself in the foot by not having a PC version from the get-go.

Pledged $20.

Sadly I think it's too late for them too reach the goal. They really shot themself in the foot by not having a PC version from the get-go.

It was unfortunate, two weeks is just such a small amount of time and the well was poisoned from the start. Regardless, today there's already more new backers than yesterday so word is spreading. If they had set a more modest goal like 250k they could've reached it easily.

jett

D-Member
So there's a PC version now? Payton finally realized the futility in his crusade? :p Unfortunately it is too little too late for them now. I wonder if the project will carry on without kickstarter funds.

EXGN

I have to wonder how much of this boost comes directly from NeoGAF? Have there been other gaming sites that picked this news up?

Several PC sites - notably Rock Paper Shotgun - are now providing coverage on Repub now. Probably not enough to push it to $500K, but it definitely helps.

Does anyone know if it would be possible, say if this hits the $300,000 mark, if Camoflaj could just kick in the remaining $200K to ensure they get the money?

Several PC sites - notably Rock Paper Shotgun - are now providing coverage on Repub now. Probably not enough to push it to $500K, but it definitely helps.

I just read that article. Good stuff.

Does anyone know if it would be possible, say if this hits the $300,000 mark, if Camoflaj could just kick in the remaining $200K to ensure they get the money?

My understanding is that Amazon prohibits this if you're using your own card, and that it would actually violate the policies of the credit card agencies. Theoretically I guess you could have a friend throw in the money. It would have to be a very good friend though. Note that Kickstarter donations are capped at $10k, so you'd need 20 different accounts to make $200k.

numble

That actually sounds like a neat Kickstarter trick. If you're 80% to your funding goal on the last day, if you personally pay the 20%, you get the 80% funding. Otherwise the entire Kickstarter is unfounded and you get 0%.

LuchaShaq

Banned
That actually sounds like a neat Kickstarter trick. If you're 80% to your funding goal on the last day, if you personally pay the 20%, you get the 80% funding. Otherwise the entire Kickstarter is unfounded and you get 0%.

The taxes + amazon/kickstarter cuts are so cumulatively high that paying 200k to get 300k might be a complete waste of money.

sixghost

The taxes + amazon/kickstarter cuts are so cumulatively high that paying 200k to get 300k might be a complete waste of money.

Not to mention completely against Kickstarters ToS. They will kill the whole project if they can trace any amount to an account of someone involved.

This comes up in every single Kickstarter thread.

That's not true, Double Fine's haul was still massive after the cuts. I don't remember the precise numbers but it was more than everyone expected. Producing the goods to send people is actually where the most cost comes in.

numble

The Amazon and Kickstarter cuts are like 5-10% total right, and you'd get about 90% of your payment back anyway, since you're paying yourself. I don't know where taxes come in. It'd be more like paying $20,000 to get 90% of $300k + $180k of your payment.

BradNicholson

Neo Member
There are a lot of reasons why TouchArcade doesn't cover Kickstarter games anymore. One of them is that creators can make sudden changes to goals and platforms. If we had covered Republique, for example, we would have been funneling money into an exciting mobile project that has now become multi-platform as it struggles to hit its funding goals. What this is now isn't what early pledgers threw money at.

sixghost

There are a lot of reasons why TouchArcade doesn't cover Kickstarter games anymore. One of them is that creators can make sudden changes to goals and platforms. If we had covered Republique, for example, we would have been funneling money into an exciting mobile project that has now become multi-platform as it struggles to hit its funding goals. What this is now isn't what early pledgers threw money at.

How is the bolded bit different from any other game in development?

They're not removing the support for the platform you cover, they're just adding a new one. Pledges can always be cancelled if people feel they no longer want to support the project. You make it sound like this is some insidious bait and switch.

Haunted

I think you mistyped shitfarter.

Lothars

I don't think anyone cares if Toucharcade covers Kickstarters since there is a fair bit of them but it's how the Editor handled himself showing how unprofessional and honestly how ignorant he was.

99%

Too little too late, you can't expect PC folks to have faith in a project that was supposed to be on iOS only.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just saw that this Pebble watch thing is about to approach 7 fucking million dollars. That's pretty insane as far as Kickstarters go.

Wish Republique could get some of that attention. The RPS article comments don't fill me with hope if that's the general atmosphere, though. :/

In the case of the Pebble watch, people are putting up money just to buy the watch. They already have working prototypes, so people are just getting in on the initial batch to buy them before the price rises.

mclem

How is the bolded bit different from any other game in development?

Well, to be fair, other games in development don't ask for money from end consumers until their identity is actually established.

But even so, the Kickstarter premise only permits additions, not removals. As I said regarding linux support for Shadowrun:

Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that, frankly, you've just gotta have a little faith in the devs. Sometimes they'll decide things you don't like because other people want them, and that's okay by me; I donated to the product that was outlined on the page, and I'm still going to get what I donated towards, along with a few extra goals. Those extra goals aren't going away. This hasn't made the product I donated towards *worse* - it's just made it better in a way that doesn't interest me. Those are two *very* different things.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's the same damn game.

No wonder the iOS community has garnered so much hate.

They had to make changes to allow the game to survive. Creating it for two platforms does not compromise the original vision.

TouchArcade covers shit like Marvel VS Capcom 2 which is one of the worst ports I've ever seen and designed explicitly to exploit the iOS community.

It's like a little kid in the school playground, playing with his toys, then complaining because the teacher brought in more of the same toys for other kids to play with.
No, it's like those that declared "betrayal" when Instagram was released for Android. It's pathetic and entitled.

Alright it looks like we're getting some traction here:

If we can pull about $20k a day leading up to the final hours, this thing still has a legitimate chance.

Nohar

Thanks to the last "The Banner Saga" update, I discovered this little gem. I backed the project. I admit that I fear that it's a little late, but I guess there is still hope (though this project will need a lot of advertising - I have to agree with some fellow neogafers here, they really shouldn't have limited themselves to iOS at the beginning, they shoot themselves in the foot).

Mrbob

Yet you posted an article on The Walking Dead today:

http://toucharcade.com/2012/04/27/v...-everything-we-wanted-and-coming-soon-to-ios/

Is this game somehow different on ios than the steam version I bought and played through days ago? Heck you didn't even play this on an ios device but on a mac.

Multi platform is an asinine reason not to cover a game.

Nohar

Well, we saw some projects getting huge amounts of money during the final days/hours, so I don't think that it's hopeless. We don't lose anything by pledging. But, yes, it won't be a trivial matter to get this game funded in time.
Also, $500,000 is quite a juge amount of money from the get-go...

*sigh* Wait and see I guess.

Top Bottom