• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

TouchArcade covers shit like Marvel VS Capcom 2 which is one of the worst ports I've ever seen and designed explicitly to exploit the iOS community..

They cover much, much worse than that yet they can't give a single article to a game that, chances are, will be pretty good.

It really saddens me, how many people are "donating" just because it is now coming to the computer. If they really wanted to fund the project, they just would have donated before all of this.

pakkit

Banned
Thread title is a bit misleading...100K Funded could lead people to assume the project is fully funded. There's no longer any mention of the 500K goal.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It really saddens me, how many people are "donating" just because it is now coming to the computer. If they really wanted to fund the project, they just would have donated before all of this.

Huh?

You're saying that people should have funded the project out of good will even if it wasn't going to appear on a platform they owned/wanted to play the game on?

Thread title is a bit misleading...100K Funded could lead people to assume the project is fully funded. There's no longer any mention of the 500K goal.

All of the Kickstarter threads have had similar wording, I think. Of course, they all quickly surpassed their original goals, so for the most part "funded" was completely accurate. Oh well, 100k sounds a lot better than "20% of the goal met!"

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

I think I'm past the looking glass now. I honestly can't tell if this is trolling.

Brak

I have no Idevices, now I'm backing the project. You've made me realize what a horrible person I am.

Mrbob

This game is getting made regardless, so I wouldn't worry about a release.

Just pledged my 20 bucks towards the project!

Do you work for Touch Arcade? If not, you should. I hear they are always hiring for smart people like you.

Chinner

Banned
im sure platform did play a role in this, but I still reckon the lack of an established fan-base played a bigger role. shadowrun and wasteland both succeeded with concept art and simple promises, while republique is actually real.

basically, I blame everybody for playing it safe.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kickstarter is not a charity, it's a middleman for investment opportunities.
im sure platform did play a role in this, but I still reckon the lack of an established fan-base played a bigger role. shadowrun and wasteland both succeeded with concept art and simple promises, while republique is actually real.

Banner Saga says otherwise.

A successful kickstarter is a mix of concept, credentials, rewards, timing, and exposure, among other things. Having an established fanbase helps but it's possible to get something funded provided you do your research.

Nohar

You can't blame them. You can't ignore the player-base on computers (PC & Mac). Some people don't consider seriously iOS games (which is kind of ridiculous, when you take into account the huge potential player-base). In my case, I pledged thanks to the last "The Banner Saga" update, since I never heard of the game before.

Honestly, I think that limiting the game to iOS devices was a mistake from their part. The market is there, but the mentality hasn't evolved yet to that point (though I could be mistaken).

Alright it looks like we're getting some traction here:

If we can pull about $20k a day leading up to the final hours, this thing still has a legitimate chance.

I think your math is off. With 14 days, 1 hour, and 20 minutes left as I post this, a 20K/day average from here on out would total a bit over $280K, leaving time running out at right around $400K.

They needed an absolutely massive boost from the PC/Mac announcement, not a merely decent one. Unfortunately, it appears they're receiving the latter.

I think your math is off. With 14 days, 1 hour, and 20 minutes left as I post this, a 20K/day average from here on out would have the time running out at right around $400K.

I'm accounting for the ending spike. If we're in the realm of 400k with a couple days to go, I believe the project will make it.

You can't blame them. You can't ignore the player-base on computers (PC & Mac). Some people don't consider seriously iOS games (which is kind of ridiculous, when you take into account the huge potential player-base). In my case, I pledged thanks to the last "The Banner Saga" update, since I never heard of the game before.

Honestly, I think that limiting the game to iOS devices was a mistake from their part. The market is there, but the mentality hasn't evolved yet to that point (though I could be mistaken).

That's what I was thinking. I know the iOS market is massive but how many of those people boought their device with gaming as one of their two or three intended purposes? I can't even think of a reason to buy an iPAD and I have a pretty powerful Android phone that I use only for calling people and browsing the internet when I don't have a computer in hand. I'm not particularly interested in games on either platform. I don't even have games on my laptop.

I'm accounting for the ending spike. If we're in the realm of 400k with a couple days to go, I believe the project will make it.

I hope you're right, but they're unlikely to get to $400K, let alone make $33-50K/day in the final few days, if the post-PC/Mac spike is only tracking toward the low $20K range for the first full day.

PaulLFC

There are a lot of reasons why TouchArcade doesn't cover Kickstarter games anymore. One of them is that creators can make sudden changes to goals and platforms. If we had covered Republique, for example, we would have been funneling money into an exciting mobile project that has now become multi-platform as it struggles to hit its funding goals. What this is now isn't what early pledgers threw money at.
Er... you do know you can remove pledges? Given that, your point makes no sense. Game changes, if you're not happy, remove pledge if it bothers you that much, there, problem solved.

I hope you're right, but they're unlikely to get to $400K, let make $33-50K/day in the final few days, if the post-PC/Mac spike is only tracking toward the low $20K range for the first full day.

The outcome will likely hinge on further coverage and spread via the grassroots. Today has been bigger than yesterday since a couple PC sites picked it up. If there's more coverage tomorrow, tomorrow might be even bigger. Who knows? It's absolutely a challenge but I'm not writing it off as dead just yet.

sixghost

There have been some new IPs that have done very well on Kickstarter. Banner Saga raised $720,000ish and FTL raised about 200,000 despite asking for $10,000 originally.

At the moment, Kickstarting is a very PC centric place when it comes to gaming. Most likely because of Doublefine and Wasteland being the first two huge games to be funded.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

This also might be a big part of it. With Shadowrun and Wasteland, those guys were all very honest that their games would simply not be getting made if their Kickstarters weren't successful. Same with Double Fine. Not only was it cool games and goodies to buy, it was a chance to fund something that otherwise simply wouldn't have happened.

With Republique, the way they positioned it was quite different. They had a polished demo of the game to show off. They were obviously already quite a ways a long in the development, and they hinted at turning to outside investors/publishers was completely an option or was going to happen to some extent regardless of the Kickstarter's success. Why did they turn to Kickstarter? So they wouldn't have to depend on any single investor as much and thus could keep the IP rights and complete creative control.

Definitely a less exciting proposition for a lot of people, in my opinion. Less urgency.

i usually buy games for platforms i don't own. it's a thing i have, some people say it's weird.

Derrick01

Banned

There was no way in hell I was going to fund an ios game, even more so when I don't even have an ipad or iphone. The RPS article has me considering it now though, but I still have concerns.

Kyoufu

This really makes no sense, and this comes from someone who did back the project as a non-iOS gamer.

kase23

Threw in my 15 bucks, the doco sounds interesting though so I may up my pledge later on when more information is/if released.

Hodapp is just a childish brat who can't deal with criticism.
Lost any respect for him the moment "shitfarter" left his brain and drooled onto the keyboard.

It's funny how he complains about NeoGAF being cynical about "casual" games and yet has been nothing but cynical about this project since Day 1, now feeling further empowered in his cynicism because it's coming to the PC.

ArjanN

I'm still confused over this whole thing. People are actually mad that more platforms will get to play this neat-looking game? I just can't comprehend how this is a bad thing in any way. You have to be really selfish to think like that.

It's like the people who complained about Dark Souls showing up on PC, but a million times worse. Very bizarre.

Reminds me of The Fanboy's Lament, the Idle Thumbs song about the Tekken going multiplatform "scandal".

Top Bottom