• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit, it's personal now!

Did we hurt your feelings Eli? Thanks again for helping to push Republique to PC. Love you, seriously.

Damn, that guy is a complete drama queen. Yes, NeoGAF, a community of over 75,000 people, are all gathering up against you. Pointing out his hateful, ignorant and immature comments is apparently "hating on him". I really hate people who try to play the victim like this.

It's going to be funny when this game comes out on iOS and draws a lot of attention, but TouchArcade won't be able to cover it without looking like idiots thanks to this Eli guy's tantrum.

zroid

Banned
kcur said:
It is still an iOS game.
Its vision is now compromised in attempt to soak up an additional $400,000 in the next two weeks.

This is a sentiment that keeps getting tossed around, even occasionally in this thread, and it's such tripe that I don't know how anyone can say it with a straight face. The amount of willful ignorance it takes to come up with this is crazy. Either that or you've reached a level of jadedness where there is not one iota of belief in good faith left in you. That's rather depressing.

Did we hurt your feelings Eli? Thanks again for helping to push Republique to PC. Love you, seriously.

Alright, who is this douche? So that I can be sure to not support his website or endeavors?

edit: oh, TouchArcade? Glad I've only visited their website once. Won't happen again.

There are a lot of reasons why TouchArcade doesn't cover Kickstarter games anymore. One of them is that creators can make sudden changes to goals and platforms. If we had covered Republique, for example, we would have been funneling money into an exciting mobile project that has now become multi-platform as it struggles to hit its funding goals. What this is now isn't what early pledgers threw money at.

I'm not going to point a finger at anyone, but the reason why they had to change their goals was because nobody was biting on their original proposal. Maybe if they had a little more exposer to get their names out there, circumstances may have been different.

I know this isn't exactly what the original pledgers were throwing their money at, but the project was already dead in the water. It probably wouldn't have even come close to hitting its goal, unfortunately. The only way they could get the iOS game made at all was by throwing a PC and Mac version into the mix to entice non iOS gaming crowd. This is not a matter of the developers changing things because they feel like it, it's a compromise they had to make to reach their original goal.

This is how investing works sometimes, unfortunately. Kickstarter or not.

I guess so called "AAA" gaming is still a bit unproven in iOS. Sure there's Infinity Blade, which is nice, but there hasn't exactly been a large cavalcade of these types of games. So I'm not sure if a newly formed development group could persuade iOS gamers enough to fund a larger budget game. But if they can be successful with this, then maybe it can help convince other developers that original (non port) big budget games on iOS can be a viable option in the future.

It's a shame, because I actually like the site and have discovered a lot of great games on their forums. But all of this is making me not want to visit the site anymore.

Derrick01

Banned

Hahaha I'm definitely going to throw in $10 now. I have fears this was just a desperation announcement and that it's still mostly developed around ios but since this guy is so salty about it then why not? I don't know why he's apparently been so bitter about this, you'd think the hardcore ios people would want more core games coming to the platform not less.

Hahaha I'm definitely going to throw in $10 now. I have fears this was just a desperation announcement and that it's still mostly developed around ios but since this guy is so salty about it then why not? I don't know why he's apparently been so bitter about this, you'd think the hardcore ios people would want more core games coming to the platform not less.

He could have very easily made a simple post on TA along the lines of,

"We understand Kickstarter is getting more and more popular and that there are projects related to iOS gaming, but there's aspects of Kickstarter we don't agree with therefore we won't be covering them. We hope you understand and you're welcome to discuss them on our forums."

But instead we get classy lines like "Shitfarter." I'm almost convinced he had a project on Kickstarter that didn't work out and he's now bitter towards it.

I get what you are saying, but that's just the thing - the iOS game that the initial supporters backed is not any different. It's not gone. It's not compromised. It still exists exactly as it did before. Nothing has changed, just more people get to play it now. It's still going to be the AAA iOS experiment.

I know what your saying too :p ... I understand that the original game is still there. But there is a bit of a compromise here now, because the developers have put more on their plate to finish. Sure they did mention that a Mac and PC version were always planned, but those were apparently planned for a later date. They had to alter their plans a bit and fast track the Mac and PC versions to get the iOS version made.

But hopefully it won't affect the quality of the original game.

Maybe Payton got interviews with normal gamesites and didn't court TA.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Decided to withdraw from this kickstarter not sure what else they plan to change about this game. If the iOS game is good I will buy it later but for now I have doubts about the vision for this game.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
He could have very easily made a simple post on TA along the lines of,

"We understand Kickstarter is getting more and more popular and that there are projects related to iOS gaming, but there's aspects of Kickstarter we don't agree with therefore we won't be covering them. We hope you understand and you're welcome to discuss them on our forums."

But instead we get classy lines like "Shitfarter." I'm almost convinced he had a project on Kickstarter that didn't work out and he's now bitter towards it.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun did a really good post on the topic of covering Kickstarter projects a couple days ago:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/23/the-kickstarter-dilemma/

BradNicholson

Neo Member
I'm not going to point a finger at anyone, but the reason why they had to change their goals was because nobody was biting on their original proposal. Maybe if they had a little more exposer to get their names out there, circumstances may have been different.

I know this isn't exactly what the original pledgers were throwing their money at, but the project was already dead in the water. It probably wouldn't have even come close to hitting its goal, unfortunately. The only way they could get the iOS game made at all was by throwing a PC and Mac version into the mix to entice non iOS gaming crowd. This is not a matter of the developers changing things because they feel like it, it's a compromise they had to make to reach their original goal.

This is how investing works sometimes, unfortunately. Kickstarter or not.

I guess so called "AAA" gaming is still a bit unproven in iOS. Sure there's Infinity Blade, which is nice, but there hasn't exactly been a large cavalcade of these types of games. So I'm not sure if a newly formed development group could sued iOS gamers enough to fund a larger budget game. But if they can be successful with this, then maybe it can help convince other developers that original (non port) big budget games on iOS can be a viable option in the future.

Right on. I don't know why exactly what I wrote earlier is being dismissed as some weird fanboy-y thing. Republique could hit 3DS and Commodore 64 in addition to iOS. I don't care. What I do care about is that the overall pitch changed, and that initial pitch may have informed the amount of money a reader blasted over to these dudes. I'm not saying that someone pledging way more because it was just a mobile game is likely, but I can't see that totally happening.

To expand a little bit, I love the idea of great game ideas becoming a reality. I want to see Republique do well and get funded, for example. But Kickstarter, at the end of the day, is about money and that makes things complicated from a coverage perspective.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Alright, who is this douche? So that I can be sure to not support his website or endeavors?

edit: oh, TouchArcade? Glad I've only visited their website once. Won't happen again.
Yeah, I know I've stopped visiting it. They praise virtually every shitty little iOS game that comes down the pipe (yay for 15 fps, poorly controlling platforms with bad level design!) yet ignore genuinely interesting prospects.

I dunno, I think that remains to be seen. A lot of this stuff is happening behind the scenes. I highly doubt the game is going to come out much, if any later because of the PC version. I mean, they probably have to develop the game on a PC anyway, PC release or not.

I guess that's true, they could still be planning the PC and Mac versions for a later date. I might be jumping to conclusions here.

Either way, talk about an overreaction (from TA, not you).

yeah, I don't understand it myself. How is Kickstarter any different from any other forms of investing? I think the level of risk is about the same, regardless of what method is used.

Right on. I don't know why exactly what I wrote earlier is being dismissed as some weird fanboy-y thing. Republique could hit 3DS and Commodore 64 in addition to iOS. I don't care. What I do care about is that the overall pitch changed, and that initial pitch may have informed the amount of money a reader blasted over to these dudes. I'm not saying that someone pledging way more because it was just a mobile game is likely, but I can't see that totally happening.
Ye didn't cover it before, suddenly using the fact that Camouflaj was brave enough to alter their pitch as a reason to not cover it is ridiculous.
It also ignores the fact that you can withdraw your pledge at ANY stage in the Kickstarter.
So if the pitch is changed (and I would disagree, I believe Payton and the crew when they commit to a game suited to each platform and not a port) a customer can withdraw if they are unhappy with the change!

BradNicholson

Neo Member
Ye didn't cover it before, suddenly using the fact that Camouflaj was brave enough to alter their pitch as a reason to not cover it is ridiculous.
It also ignores the fact that you can withdraw your pledge at ANY stage in the Kickstarter.
So if the pitch is changed (and I would disagree, I believe Payton and the crew when they commit to a game suited to each platform and not a port) a customer can withdraw if they are unhappy with the change!

Yep. But, now I've got to cover the game a second time, to point out that it's changed in case the reader hasn't been feverishly refreshing the Kickstarter page. And there's other reasons why we don't cover these games. I just threw out one that was on topic.

Corto

To expand a little bit, I love the idea of great game ideas becoming a reality. I want to see Republique do well and get funded, for example. But Kickstarter, at the end of the day, is about money and that makes things complicated from a coverage perspective.

Any Kickstarter project is by definition a moving target. The final amount is unknown until the last moment. It's only natural that some adjustments need to be made during the pledge. Double Fine did that, inXIle did that, the Banner Saga dudes did that. In the case of Camouflaje is even more flagrant because those adjustments can be what could save the project altogether. These adjustments are being well publicized so that each pledger can make a decision of maintaining, increasing or remove his pledge. The process is completely transparent.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

You do realise you can revoke your pledge at any time before the deadline expires, and no money is withdrawn from your account unless the goal is met, right?

As one who has supported a ton of board games on KS, I find it harder to support video game projects.

Board game kickstarters normally feature completed games that just need funding for manufacturing. You can usually watch video walkthroughs the feature the game play, components, etc.

Projects like this game just seem like there is too much left to chance. Have the developers explained how they plan to cover two different game projects with the same $500,000 that was originally budgeted for a single project? The length of some of the video game projects also make me uneasy. Republique's PC game is scheduled for September of 2013. Can a project that far out, from a small studio, really have a reliable release date?

now I've got to cover the game a second time, to point out that it's changed in case the reader hasn't been feverishly refreshing the Kickstarter page.

You've obviously never used Kickstarter and seem completely unaware of how it actually functions, not that I'd expect otherwise. I'm not sure why you keep insisting that people hate you for your policies when they actually just object to your boss' despicable rants in public. I see him misrepresenting that right now on Twitter. Can you explain any of this? Should I create a separate thread to prevent further derail?

entremet

What's the story behind Touch Arcade? Why are they so prominently mentioned on this KS thread in particular? Did they not like the project?

Eli Porter has some valid points, but his general level of conduct and word choice ranks high up on the "asshole" meter.

Basically, his shit talking foolishness has made it so, despite agreeing with much of what he is saying, I'd still be more than likely to smack the shit out of him in, verbally or physically, in a face to face meeting. Eli's self righteous ranting offends me more than even the most shameless money grab kickstarters I've seen so far.

P.S. LOL at Neogaf being a place where people talk about PC games. This place is Console-Town, with a small ghetto of PC gamers keeping the lights on.

Kusagari

Eli Porter has some valid points, but his general level of conduct and word choice ranks high up on the "asshole" meter.

Basically, his shit talking foolishness has made it so, despite agreeing with much of what he is saying, I'd still be more than likely to smack the shit out of him in, verbally or physically, in a face to face meeting. Eli's self righteous ranting offends me more than even the most shameless money grab kickstarters I've seen so far.

P.S. LOL at Neogaf being a place where people talk about PC games. This place is Console-Town, with a small ghetto of PC gamers keeping the lights on.

The PC gamers might be a smaller contingent, but they're allowed to go around spamming MASTER RACE all they want.

El Sloth

Banned
You know, the "100k Funded" in the thread title gives off the impression that the project has already hit its target.

At least that's what I thought.

Vamphuntr

Oh no! Someone hates us again. We should keep a handy list of everyone that despises us. Would be faster for me to know who I shouldn't support.

Card Boy

Banned
If they announced the PC/Mac versions from day dot along with the iOS version, i can guarantee you this Kickstarter would be at 500K by now.

I just got the impression of snobbishness surrounding the Republique kickstarter from the get go.

Haunted

Seeing that the day after the PC announcement is their second biggest after the opening day is really encouraging. Having a kickstarter spike again like this in the middle of its run is pretty unusual.

It looks like the PC announcement was just the kick in the dick in the balls we needed to get this project into overdrift.

zroid

Banned
LOL at Neogaf being a place where people talk about PC games. This place is Console-Town, with a small ghetto of PC gamers keeping the lights on.

Really? That's not the impression I've gotten recently. Consoles are still popular, but it seems like much of GAF has taken quite a liking to PC and especially Steam.

Yeah I put $15 down on it for PC. Still seems like kind of a long shot to be funded.

They should beef up that $25/$30 option like the Wastleland 2 guys did with their $30 digital pack. Wallpaper, artbooks, novella/comics, whatever they can do on the cheap.

Top Bottom