• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

I must have missed that. I do remember reading a whole lot of PR speak along the lines of "We'd love to have the game everywhere someday." and "We want this in the hands of as many players as possible." etc.

Then you didn't read the FAQ section. This has been there since the beginning:

935498-JCPMQCR.png

Can we now dispense with the idea that a PC and Mac version was spontaneously cobbled together on the spur of the moment?

zroid

Banned
Anyway... setting aside this bizarre backlash, the announcement is yet to make the rounds on the Internet, outside of existing backers, so I think once it gets flowing through the social networks and picked up by the major outlets, we'll see how things stand then.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just... don't... understand...

Step 1: Start a Kickstarter with a great concept for a game on a platform with promise but without much appeal for the Kickstarter crowd.

Step 2: Do your best to reach your goal, but finally admit that you need to rethink your strategy.

Step 3: Give some of your most ardent supporters exactly what they were hoping for, while still pledging to complete the project as it was originally envisioned.

Step 4: Wild backlash from people for.... some reason???

I am losing my faith in humanity by the minute here

Why are you blaming humanity? Exaggerate much?

The PC/Mac port proposition certainly hasn't been handled well in my mind. There's no explanation of how it won't affect the iOS version. There's no real details about what the PC version is going to be. Here's their mention of the PC version on their Kickstarter page.

One of the best things about Kickstarter is that it allows us to have a a direct connection with the community and have a dialogue with them. Upon announcing République for iOS, we received an incredible amount of buzz for the game. It also generated a lot of commentary on the chosen platform. We as a team are still committed to iOS, but now, thanks to the community's feedback, we are committed to delivering a unique version of République specifically designed for PC and Mac with new features, gameplay and story elements that speak to the strengths of the platform. Look for a video update next week where the team at Camouflaj discusses the direction we will take the desktop version of République!

They don't need to change their budget to create an entirely unique game? If not, how are both versions not going to be compromised?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That says "a unique version" and not an all new game, to me that implies it's roughly the same thing, adjusted to match the PC platform in that it no longer assumes you're playing on a phone and has the dialogue and interface to match with its 4th wall shit.

Anyway, I think this is a bit too late but, we'll see how it goes... It should at least improve...

They don't need to change their budget to create an entirely unique game? If not, how are both versions not going to be compromised?

They're using venture capital to make up the difference. Just like how they'll have to rely on venture capital completely if they don't make the Kickstarter goal, but in that case it'll be at the expense of things like IP ownership and creative control.

LQX

Kind of late no? Cant believe this is not something they thought about from the jump rather than having to sit around a round table weeks later. So much was done wrong. Then again I'm not really surprised, I like Ryan but there is smug candor to him which stands outs as a major flaw. He seems like the type to sell you on why jumping off a bridge is great idea.

That is the point I was trying (and failing) to make. Last week $500,000 made an ios game. This week $500,000 makes an ios AND a pc game.

How can that happen without both projects being watered down?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Then you didn't read the FAQ section. This has been there since the beginning:

935498-JCPMQCR.png

Can we now dispense with the idea that a PC and Mac version was spontaneously cobbled together on the spur of the moment?

Oh, I read that... It's PR stuff. "Yes, we'd love to do a PC and Mac version someday..." "We even originally planned on making it the main platform during the conceptual stages..."

Ok. That doesn't change the fact that they went all-in on iOS and spent all of their actual production time on that version.

That is the point I was trying (and failing) to make. Last week $500,000 made an ios game. This week $500,000 makes an ios AND a pc game.

How can that happen without both projects being watered down?

I have answered this question twice now. Why do you keep ignoring it?

Oh, I read that... It's PR stuff. "Yes, we'd love to do a PC and Mac version someday...".
Now you're trolling. They flat out announced it for PC and Mac, in Game Informer no less. There was no "someday" about it.

Corto

Kind of late no? Cant believe this is not something they thought about from the jump rather than having to sit around a round table weeks later. So much was done wrong. Then again I'm not really surprised, I like Ryan but there is smug candor to him which stands outs as a major flaw. He seems like the type to sell you on why jumping off a bridge is great idea.

And the game, what do you think of it? Is it something that might please you?

Mrbob

Ryan, the ios version will be a plus game? Upping to the 20 dollar tier if so.

That says "a unique version" and not an all new game, to me that implies it's roughly the same thing, adjusted to match the PC platform in that it no longer assumes you're playing on a phone and has the dialogue and interface to match with its 4th wall shit.

Yeah, I don't really understand this whole integrity of the game issue which is going on. The game is coming out later on PC than ios, and the controls will be adapted. I'm sure 95 percent of the experience will be the same. You are looking through a computer monitor now instead of looking into a phone, big deal.

Besides, there are those of us who would rather play this game on ios via our ipads. Is this going against the integrity of the game as well? I'm not using a phone to play it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Now you're trolling. They flat out announced it for PC and Mac, in Game Informer no less. There was no "someday" about it.

Disagreeing with you does not necessarily constitute "trolling".

That part in their FAQ does not equate to "announcing". During the early conceptual stages, Ryan thought about making the game for PC and Mac. He said so much to Game Informer. That's an announcement?

Disagreeing with you does not necessarily constitute "trolling".

Refusing to read does. I don't know how you're parsing the words "planning to create" and I honestly don't want to, because you are trolling and I have no desire to contribute to your ongoing success in that field.

daycru

How would it not? You're telling me that they spent six months working on the concept of an ios game, the Kickstarter campaign fails, so in a week or so they somehow come up with an entirely different PC version? And somehow this new, magically appearing game is going to be worth a damn when they now have to complete two games in 16 months?

You know how people keep wondering what the first KS game disaster will be? Well, wonder no more, because this is it.
Hard for something that will never exist to become a disaster.

So wait, they are asking us to kickstart a game that already has funding and will get made regardless of our money? And why is this a good thing? It seems like it asks the consumer to take all of the risk, so that the developer can keep their IP and make a larger profit. In return, we are asked to buy the game before it gets made, reviewed, etc.

It just seems like a really bad idea, regardless of this magic pile of money that can suddenly support two games without compromising the quality of either.

The whole thing just feels sleazy to me.

Karish

Step 1: Start a Kickstarter with a great concept for a game on a platform with promise but without much appeal for the Kickstarter crowd.

Step 2: Do your best to reach your goal, but finally admit that you need to rethink your strategy.

Step 3: Give some of your most ardent supporters exactly what they were hoping for, while still pledging to complete the project as it was originally envisioned.

I am losing my faith in humanity by the minute here. I don't know if their goals will be met. It's a tough road, even with PC and Mac versions. But for people to actually begrudge that fact? What?

Yea, its ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Refusing to read does. End of story.

1. I'm not refusing to read--we obviously just have a different idea of what "announcement" entails.

2. Refusing to read does not make someone a troll. Goddamn that word is so misused.

3. You don't dictate when conversations end.

Einbroch

Banned
Wait, so now they have to depend on outside investors no matter what because they announced the PC version?

I could see why that would make some people angry. The whole point of the kickstarter was to keep it independent and let them be creative. Now it's not that way, but they still have a kickstarter.

zroid

Banned
Wait, so now they have to depend on outside investors no matter what because they announced the PC version?

I could see why that would make some people angry. The whole point of the kickstarter was to keep it independent and let them be creative. Now it's not that way, but they still have a kickstarter.

This was always the case. Crucially, however, they've made it clear that they are going to retain creative control. The Kickstarter would give them just enough backing to ensure that.

--

In other news: 99k and counting!

Einbroch

Banned
This was always the case. Crucially, however, they've made it clear that they are going to retain creative control. The Kickstarter would give them just enough backing to ensure that.
Right. I worded that incorrectly. But now they have to make compromises that they would not have to make had they hit the KS goal with only an iOS version, if I'm understanding it correctly.

zroid

Banned
Right. I worded that incorrectly. But now they have to make compromises that they would not have to make had they hit the KS goal with only an iOS version, if I'm understanding it correctly.

From where would you glean that understanding? Do you not think they've spoken with their investors and agreed upon the new terms?

I would expect they have renewed confidence with the recent announcement and have agreed to throw in more support, while still allowing the team to maintain the creative control initially assured. All of this just seems to be a matter of course for me, but perhaps based on the unusual circumstances of the situation, RP and co. should have been more forthcoming about this stuff on the Kickstarter page. I can understand that.

fin

Sweet I might back this project now. Curious about a PC version, but I want to play it on a phone/tablet, the original idea behind the game.

Announce a Android version and I'll double dip.

Yup, using Venture Capital to 100% fund the game sounds like a last resort measure if this Kickstarter campaign fails. But if they go with Vanture Capital, they would have to give up the rights to their own franchise as collateral, until their debt is paid in full. Once they pay off that debt, they can retain ownership of their own franchise. Ryan Payton would have to insure that the game will sell well enough to do that.

Been meaning to contribute but it always slips my mind actually.

Definitely would like a universal iOS app and as I keep putting it off, but with having one laptop die earlier this year, I'll also pick this up for my new comp (probably either an imac or mbp) as well.

if this means that Republique might now get funded good on RP for coming round. Hoping his KS will get funded now. I'm not going to read pages back re: this backlash. What did you guys want? For it to just fail?

good luck Ryan.

I am losing my faith in humanity by the minute here. I don't know if their goals will be met. It's a tough road, even with PC and Mac versions. But for people to actually begrudge that fact? What?

There is a pretty easy explanation, actually. Everybody wants to abandon a sinking ship, even a ship they think is kinda groovy.

935526-EB4CT0X.png

The title is about to become officially accurate. Now my request to have it changed will look very silly.

dailypledges.png

Third biggest day in pledges already.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
if this means that Republique might now get funded good on RP for coming round. Hoping his KS will get funded now. I'm not going to read pages back re: this backlash. What did you guys want? For it to just fail?

good luck Ryan.

Having conversations about why or why not people might be cynical about this announcement, the project as a whole, etc. does not necessarily mean anyone actively wants it to fail.

I'm very skeptical of how they have handled this whole thing, but I do want the project to succeed. The art and setting look very cool.

"Okay, we need the money" has softened many spines.

Can you blame, them, though, given the way the whole thing rolled out?

I'm glad they changed the project to include a PC and Mac version, but I'm not really convinced this group knows enough about what they are doing that they deserve half a million dollars.

I can support a small indie start up with a cool idea and a tiny-modest budget. I also can dig on a bunch of industry vetrans creating their dream project they can't get funded elsewhere. But a new start up with visions of grandeur that clearly didn't think things through the first time... I'm not sure about.

I donated originally. The problems with their vision on the platform got me second guessing. As did the stalled kickstarter. Something seemed wrong. Then Payton's various interviews about his vision for the game and how it is "meaningful" didn't help. Now this mid-kickstarter scramble for bucks despite nearly two weeks of protesting why it has to be on IOS to realize their vision, um... I'm out. I canceled my donation.

I think this game would be nice to play on an iPad connected to an HDTV, but being able to use both the iPad for control and display along with the HDTV for display (maybe just for different cameras in different rooms) ala the Wii U... though I don't know if that is possible with the way iPad connects the HDTVs now (don't own an iPad yet myself).

I don't think he was joking... from the Nekro thread:

"I have no doubt this will get funded, since it is coming out for PC and PC supporters are strong on Kickstarter (as I learned in the Republique thread where it was implied that going PC would mean getting the 500k goal and this is asking only for 100k). But I have no PC so pledge from me."

Wait.... what?

If the only reason why this asscrack pledges is to be able to say "it never would have reached its goal without me specifically", why does he pledge to Kickstarter campaigns at all?

Sallokin

Great news. The update video sold me on the decision and I'm excited to see what the differences are. A little under 400k to go over the next 14 days.

Mrbob

Great news. The update video sold me on the decision and I'm excited to see what the differences are. A little under 400k to go over the next 14 days.

It's why I'm skeptical it'll hit the desired pledge. With all the down days, Republique has to average 28,572 dollars per day the last 14 days to make its target.

It's why I'm skeptical it'll hit the desired pledge. With all the down days, Republique has to average 28,572 dollars per day the last 14 days to make its target.

It is an uphill battle to be sure, but not unthinkable if they get extra publicity. I do wish they had done this sooner or set the campaign to be longer. I'm almost inclined to believe they would have been better off cancelling the current Kickstarter and starting fresh.

Sallokin

It is an uphill battle to be sure, but not unthinkable if they get extra publicity. I do wish they had done this sooner or set the campaign to be longer. I'm almost inclined to believe they would have been better off cancelling the current Kickstarter and starting fresh.

Yeah, i'm curious what their options are for this. Are they allowed to extend it? Can they adjust the final funding amount? I'm pretty sure the answers are no, but I don't trawl around kickstarter enough to know.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sounds interes--

*Ryan Payton*

--GrandpaSimpson360180.gif

After MPO, I want nothing to do with him.

Globox_82

Banned
if it is for PC/MAC, why not announce it for PSN/XBL as well?

They seemed snobby in the beginning going with super duper Apple products only. Nice to see them humble down and magically announce PC/MAC version. Sure can't put them in the pocket, but a lot of people have those.

EXGN

They seemed snobby in the beginning going with super duper Apple products only. Nice to see them humble down and magically announce PC/MAC version. Sure can't put them in the pocket, but a lot of people have those.

I imagine a lot of it has to do with licensing agreements. Anyone can set up some sort of ecommerce shop to sell things on the web, you have to pay licensing and distribution costs on PSN/XBL, plus deal with whatever red tape.

Interfectum

lol

Is this real life?

You obviously haven't been following the debate in this thread very closely, but they announced this for Steam ages ago but then decided to focus on iOS first. We changed their minds. That version was always under consideration, it did not magically spring forth like Minerva.

It may not have, but Payton was in this thread telling everyone that this was a game they felt they could only make for iOS, how it was a grand scheme to bring meaningful games to the wild frontier of iPhones and iPads. Those spirited defences are basically meaningless now. He probably wouldn't have faced any negative reactions here or elsewhere had he played that hand a little closer to his chest.

Top Bottom