• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

I love the "Take you to a nice dinner" tier reward for ten grand. Like what, they're doing you a big favor by treating you to a meal at the Olive Garden or Denny's? A sports bar? Why would anyone care about this?

How about for a 10k donation you make .25% of the game's total profits? That's some incentive, at least you have a chance at making a bit of your moolah back. Why people continue to act as loan sharks for these companies is beyond me...I really have trouble comprehending when there's no profit in return. Like people are content with throwing their money away...

zroid

Banned
I love the "Take you to a nice dinner" tier reward for ten grand. Like what, they're doing you a big favor by treating you to a meal at the Olive Garden or Denny's? A sports bar? Why would anyone care about this?

How about for a 10k donation you make .25% of the game's total profits? That's some incentive, at least you have a chance at making a bit of your moolah back. Why people continue to act as loan sharks for these companies is beyond me...I really have trouble comprehending when there's no profit in return. Like people are content with throwing their money away...

Kickstarter is meant for customers, not investors or venture capitalists. If a customer is passionate enough about the product to contribute $10k, then getting a chance to meet the team and have a meal with them is probably something they'd appreciate.

I would assume! I'm not that guy.

Also-- noticed it's crossed 8000 backers!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You don't understand Kickstarter. That's okay, but you should stop trying to turn it into something it's not.

It's not about turning the masses into armchair venture capitalists.

Whats up with the hesitant backers?

I'm watching this right now and it jumps from $424,940 to $424,830 to $424,755 and back to $424,865? Are people just indecisive, retracting bids, or just being idiots by constantly adding and retracting them?

Vire

Fuck man, you are a Knicks fan and then post something as stupid as this.

Card Boy

Banned

I got hundreds of games already and the game is already going to be made regardless of the kick-starter so i see no point in wasting my dosh. Plus i already have done my bit in other Kickstarters. Also announcing the PC/Mac version so late makes me hesitant.

I got hundreds of games already and the game is already going to be made regardless of the kick-starter so i see no point in wasting my dosh. Plus i already have done my bit in other Kickstarters. Also announcing the PC/Mac version so late makes me hesitant.

OK, fair enough. But I wonder where this whole "game is already going to be made regardless of the kick-starter" thing comes from? I know they said they will try alternate means of funding if this fails, but I don't think anyone said it was a 100% guarantee. Did they?

OK, fair enough. But I wonder where this whole "game is already going to be made regardless of the kick-starter" thing comes from? I know they said they will try alternate means of funding if this fails, but I don't think anyone said it was a 100% guarantee. Did they?
They said they've gotten some offers during the campaign. It's just a question of what they'd have to give up. It would probably involve losing the IP and creative control. Obviously that's not the way they want to make the game, and it's not the way I want them to make it either. I understand the argument that it'll exist anyway, but the same was true for The Banner Saga, Nekro, and others. It may exist, but you won't be getting the same game if the Kickstarter fails, so it's certainly not the case that your donation makes no difference.

They said they've gotten some offers during the campaign. It's just a question of what they'd have to give up. It would probably involve losing the IP and creative control. Obviously that's not the way they want to make the game, and it's not the way I want them to make it either.

yeah, I've heard that too, along with the talk about going to venture capital funding, which would mean they would have to give up the rights of the game as collateral until they can pay of their debts. But it doesn't sound like they have a 100% guaranteed back up plan yet.

But yeah, they really want to keep ownership rights to themselves so they can keep creative control, that's what I would like to see for them too. Hopefully this makes it. It's getting close.

$74,315 left.

zroid

Banned

The saddest thing would be if it creeps juuust over 500k, and then at the eleventh hour all those people who only backed so that it would get made retract their pledges, figuring their money is no longer required.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The saddest thing would be if it creeps juuust over 500k, and then at the eleventh hour all those people who only backed so that it would get made retract their pledges, figuring their money is no longer required.

I really just don't understand that the mentality of backing out when the goal hasn't been met yet. Even if you really don't want to fund something that's going to "make it" (which alone baffles me). I mean, you're going to be so busy tomorrow that you can't check in to see how it's doing and then retract your pledge?

You don't understand Kickstarter. That's okay, but you should stop trying to turn it into something it's not.

It's not about turning the masses into armchair venture capitalists.

Donating $10,000 to an iphone project and getting next to nothing in return isn't being generous -- it's asinine.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Donating $10,000 to an iphone project and getting next to nothing in return isn't being generous -- it's asinine.

Those upper tier rewards aren't intended for people to get something of equal value. It's for people with tons of money that just want to see the project get finished. Believe it or not, there are plenty of people out there where $10,000 really isn't all that much. It makes sense to have a reward of that level, just in case there's one of those rich folk out there who loves your game idea.

Yup. Which might be one of the reasons why the Kickstarter took a long time to get off the ground. The rewards for some of the pledge amounts they are asking for are ridiculous.

Given the huge successes other kickstarters have had, I don't think they went in thinking they needed the high-rollers to drag themselves over the line; those tiers are obviously not about some equitable value proposition, but allowing people with big wallets and a high level of interest to contribute accordingly. The plan, realistically, was to get to the goal on the basis of thousands of 15-50 dollar contributions, not to go in expecting most of their funding to come from people anteing up 10k for a dinner date.

El-Suave

Yup. Which might be one of the reasons why the Kickstarter took a long time to get off the ground. The rewards for some of the pledge amounts they are asking for are ridiculous.
But that's the case with almost every gaming Kickstarter I've seen. There is no logical justification for the higher tiers. Even when you look at the lower tiers the donations aspect clearly becomes prevalent. Nobody would normally pay $50 for a t-shirt for example which is sometimes the only difference between tiers at the lower levels. Beyond a certain pledge level, you can't approach this model with logic.

EXGN

The tiers are set up similar to the Double Fine ones. Lunch with Schafer and Gilbert got four people to contribute $10,000. Not saying it makes sense, but that's kinda par for the course with these Kickstarters.

zroid

Banned
Rewards that would "justify" their price would be expensive. That completely contradicts the purpose of a Kickstarter.

The point of offering rewards, especially at higher tiers, is to provide something unique and perhaps with intangible value. For people who can afford it.

70k to go.

Rewards that would "justify" their price would be expensive. That completely contradicts the purpose of a Kickstarter.

The point of offering rewards, especially at higher tiers, is to provide something unique and perhaps with intangible value. For people who can afford it.

Very well said.

The tiers are set up similar to the Double Fine ones. Lunch with Schafer and Gilbert got four people to contribute $10,000. Not saying it makes sense, but that's kinda par for the course with these Kickstarters.

Well, in Tim Shaffer and Ron Gilbert's case, they have a bit of an elevated status of being gaming legends. So I can kinda see the appeal there for some backer with $10k burning a whole in his/ her pocket.

But someone like Ryan Payton... ehh.. well... At least you'd get to play the entire game before anyone else.... :p

Please stop talking about ROI on anything involving Kickstarter, ever. Please.

It's patronage. The 10K pledge tier is for people who have 10K to burn and expect nothing in return except the existence of the thing they are patronizing. That is what patronage is.

That is, in fact, what every tier is. That is what Kickstarter is. The rewards are just thank yous. This is not a difficult concept. If you think it's silly then don't contribute. Or post about it being silly.

I'm watching this right now and it jumps from $424,940 to $424,830 to $424,755 and back to $424,865? Are people just indecisive, retracting bids, or just being idiots by constantly adding and retracting them?

Some one posted that because they felt it was going to make it, that they didn't need the larger bid

If you pay me $100 I will take you to a McDonalds dollar menu extravaganza*.

*Extraveganza has a $20 cash value.

They've got an average of $3,750 per hour in the last eight hours, this came with the help of an additional 700 backers in that timespan. They need to hit an average of $3,361 per hour for the next nineteen hours to make it.

They need to market the hell out of it to maintain this momentum. Every backer they find is one less source of funding (as I doubt people will re-donate again)

Yoshiya

Pledged $20 just because I'd like to be indignant in the eventual "So this game sucks" thread next year. Or, you know, possibly end up with a unique and memorable game.

C4Lukins

Shit I think it could make it. I never thought it would, but I will gladly eat crow on this one.

Actually I know it will. The developers just need to invest 50K of their own money to get the additional 450K in funding. Who would not do that at this point? Yes taxes and rewards, and kickstarters percentage, but yeah just invest 50K of your own money to make it happen. Crazy times.

Haunted

Actually I know it will. The developers just need to invest 50K of their own money to get the additional 450K in funding. Who would not do that at this point? Yes taxes and rewards, and kickstarters percentage, but yeah just invest 50K of your own money to make it happen. Crazy times.
Illegal. If they get caught, the Kickstarter gets cancelled.

Obviously there's ways around that, but it's a risk. Looks like this might just eke by the goal the on its own (assuming no shenanigans have taken place so far). I think the aggressive Twitter marketing has helped them out. Payton called in a lot of favours for this one.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You don't seem to get it.

This is a kind of democratic patronage. The idea is that you're pledging money to help the things you want made get made. Without your funding, it wouldn't be made. That's why people donate far more than whatever the end product may end up costing. They want to help make the product happen. They want to support the person or people making it. Anyone donating $10,000 obviously has a lot of money, so they probably aren't hurting too much.

This particular project looks like it will be made regardless of the Kickstarter, which makes me suspicious of it, but that's not what Kickstarter is about.

C4Lukins

Illegal. If they get caught, the Kickstarter gets cancelled.

Obviously there's ways around that, but it's a risk. Looks like this might just eke by the goal the on its own (assuming no shenanigans have taken place so far). I think the aggressive Twitter marketing has helped them out. Payton called in a lot of favours for this one.

I did not know this.

Top Bottom