• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'd bet dollars to donuts that those 10k pledges are either under-the-table investors, or close family members of the development team. It really wouldn't surprise me if as much as 30-40% of the overall pledge amount is shenanigans. No way we'll ever know, and that's something that'd be pretty damn easy to cover up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is people trolling kickstarter campaigns really a serious issue?
You know, what happens if it's a guy with a bad credit card or something? Does the campaign still succeed if Amazon can't get the money from them?

More things I didn't even think to think about when it comes to this stuff.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'd bet dollars to donuts that those 10k pledges are either under-the-table investors, or close family members of the development team. It really wouldn't surprise me if as much as 30-40% of the overall pledge amount is shenanigans. No way we'll ever know, and that's something that'd be pretty damn easy to cover up.

seems so.

SparkTR

Is people trolling kickstarter campaigns really a serious issue?

Not really, since most other Kickstarters either shoot past their goal or get nowhere near it. Close calls like Republic aren't commonplace

You know, what happens if it's a guy with a bad credit card or something? Does the campaign still succeed if Amazon can't get the money from them?

More things I didn't even think to think about when it comes to this stuff.

The backers get notified and they are given a two week amnesty period where they can correct their credit card info. If not they don't get any rewards. I think Double fine only lost $2000 to bad backers.

That's more than a tad cynical, but I can why you might think that.
Could it not be wait and see-ers who felt it would only be worth committing if it got to a certain stage?

Also, dollars to donuts? How does that work? Haven't heard the saying before.

Card Boy

Banned

Wouldn't surprise me to be honest. If I was in the same position I would do the same lol.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
That's more than a tad cynical, but I can why you might think that.
Could it not be wait and see-ers who felt it would only be worth committing if it got to a certain stage?

Also, dollars to donuts? How does that work? Haven't heard the saying before.
It's a really old, dumb expression. Here's the history of it: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollars_to_donuts

It's fun to learn!

As for being cynical, I'm going to keep my opinions of this project and entire kickstarter adventure to myself, since it's likely I have the unpopular opinion. =P

Goldmund

While I don't think this is the case here: shady practices keep the economy running and good morals in flattering contrast. It's win-win.

heringer

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Though 30-40% might be a stretch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not really, since most other Kickstarters either shoot past their goal or get nowhere near it. Close calls like Republic aren't commonplace

The backers get notified and they are given a two week amnesty period where they can correct their credit card info. If not they don't get any rewards. I think Double fine only lost $2000 to bad backers.
So if the lost money would put them below 500k, would they retroactively lose funding for the entire project?

Omikaru

So if the lost money would put them below 500k, would they retroactively lose funding for the entire project?
I don't think so. They'd just not get the money which didn't clear for whatever reason.

However, if they had $507k and someone with a $10k pledge pulled out in the last few minutes, and they couldn't pass the $500k mark again, that would torpedo the entire Kickstarter.

It's why I'll be most comfortable when it passed $510k, because at least that way no single troll can kill it.

nny

I did my part, hope it makes it!

Where are the industry backers that showed up at the end of Double Fine's Kickstarter? Notch could come around and bump this over the goal.

Yeah, this is going to make it.

Congratulations to Ryan for the biggest comeback victory ever. Amazing.

Also, you owe Jennifer Hale and David Hayter a really, really nice dinner.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Too crazy. From my original post in the thread pining over a PC release, to having a huge sense of apprehension that this wasn't going to get funded, to now seeing it being possible.

It must be one of the strongest finishes in Kickstarter history thus far.

FStop7

Banned
It's gonna make it. Hodapp's crow-eating will be glorious.

You know all he'll do is make some thinly veiled accusations about the fundraising having been manipulated. Either that or he'll never speak on the subject again and ban anyone who posts about it on his forum.

big_z

i've heard about large backers pulling out right at the end on a number of kickstarters. i wouldnt be surprised if it's family or investers like you said, as getting the total close to the goal encourages people to go into a donation frenzy. as a result it will likely get them beyond the goal far enough that the large donations can back out. it's a smart tactic to try and save a dying kickstarter.

Harlock

I respect a guy who walk away from Halo 4 because he believes that the game don´t have enough soul. Good luck with the new game.

I respect a guy who walk away from Halo 4 because he believes that the game don´t have enough soul. Good luck with the new game.
That's putting words in his mouth.
Kotaku Interview said:
"The Halo I wanted to build was fundamentally different and I don't think I had built enough credibility to see such a crazy endeavor through."

This doesn't mean Payton thinks Halo 4 will be a bad game. The core team is top flight, and they are there because they want to make the best Halo they can. It's just not the Halo Payton wanted to make.
No where does he say it doesn't have enough soul.

FStop7

Banned
I put in $60 for the Intelligentsia+ edition.

I want this game to be good and I want there to be so many bitter tears about it.

zroid

Banned
I put in $60 for the Intelligentsia+ edition.

I want this game to be good and I want there to be so many bitter tears about it.

The great thing about this situation is we will have bitter tears in either case of if the game is good or bad.

Schadenfreuders rejoice!

Salaadin

Wow, this is nice. Good for them.
I thought it was going to be close but it looks like theyre going to hit it ahead of time. Hopefully they go over the goal nicely to get some padding in case large backers pull out.

PaulLFC

How will they handle iOS versions for backers outside the US? I thought promo codes on iTunes were US only, unless that's changed? We could set up US accounts to redeem them on, but I doubt everyone outside the US who's backed the project has done that.

Hmm, I'm confused about something. I pledged $50 the day this went live but obviously things have changed since then (PC/Mac announcement). The $50 or more category now says "Republique for the platform of your choice" even though some of the lower ones include both the iOS and desktop version. So do I only get the game on one platform or what?

Omikaru

How will they handle iOS versions for backers outside the US? I thought promo codes on iTunes were US only, unless that's changed? We could set up US accounts to redeem them on, but I doubt everyone outside the US who's backed the project has done that.

They have arranged something with Apple. And I imagine they've factored in buyers from outside the US into this.

$480,000 pledged with 8 hours to go....

What a comeback.

What a comeback indeed, when only a week ago we all thought this Kickstarter was doomed!

The pace has increased and they're down to $2,500 an hour to make this work.

Good morning guys, how's thi--

957433-MQU4R69.png

Holy shit!

zroid

Banned
Hmm, I'm confused about something. I pledged $50 the day this went live but obviously things have changed since then (PC/Mac announcement). The $50 or more category now says "Republique for the platform of your choice" even though some of the lower ones include both the iOS and desktop version. So do I only get the game on one platform or what?

Yeah, $50 is for one version of the game, or you can up your pledge to $60 to get both.

The iPhone case (concept) looks pretty cool

zroid

Banned
This isn't even coming down to the wire anymore. Goal will be passed before Ryan and Billy start their livestream. Just need to hope we don't get many pullouts or trolls at this point.

Top Bottom