• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Random brainwave..

The kind of raging stupidity you see over on era didn't happen overnight. (Well, on era it did, but that started here and migrated over, you know what I mean :p)

If Reeeee-ers are coming back, what's to stop the atmosphere from turning into shit again? I understand that last time, it was because there was a subversive mod banning people for BS reasons, but there was build-up long before that. It takes surprisingly few people to affect the general atmosphere of a place even without it being enforced from the top down. Gaf seems like a legitimately chill place to be right now, and it would be nice if it could stay that way. Sincere comments about how offended someone is will, currently, be met with the equivalent of an "okay boomer", but if they start getting taken seriously by the larger community (or what appears to be the larger community because vocal minority), then it's the same path again.

Look at the ban thread over the election period. The REEEEturners were like mosquitos hitting a bug zapper.

lol
aI9FrsO.png

Like...literally no one thinks video games are more important that people's lives. How the fuck is talking about a game doing harm? Do they think Mike Pondsmith is an evil Lich from the dimension Zeebox 12 and every positive review/post about the game fuel's his Kamahamaha Wave?

Melon

Banned
I just wanted to say welcome (back, if you are a returning member) to all those coming from Era. We're a pretty cool bunch. I'm a more left-leaning person and honestly, I feel way more welcome here than any other forum I've been on. Some of my closest friends on here are right-leaning, but we get along just fine because we all treat each other like respectable adults (until proven otherwise).

I hope you all are able to integrate into the GAF community without too much trouble, and I hope you find this place much more welcoming and fun. <3

ivan.k

This is the beauty of current GAF. I think the majority of us don't give a shit what you do with your life as long as you're not a pedo. Feel free to discuss and give your opinions/viewpoint just don't expect any kind of special treatment because of your trans identity. We want to hear your voice, not your twitter hashtags and pronouns. We will haze each other, throw blows, and have a bunch of laughs at the end of it.
We don't care who you sleep with, what you race is, what your gender is, political view etc. It doesn't matter because there is one thing that unite us all no matter who we are: love for video games ♥ ✊
Era won't ever reach the level of current Gaf, I despise two years that I spent there.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Random brainwave..

The kind of raging stupidity you see over on era didn't happen overnight. (Well, on era it did, but that started here and migrated over, you know what I mean :p)

If Reeeee-ers are coming back, what's to stop the atmosphere from turning into shit again? I understand that last time, it was because there was a subversive mod banning people for BS reasons, but there was build-up long before that. It takes surprisingly few people to affect the general atmosphere of a place even without it being enforced from the top down. Gaf seems like a legitimately chill place to be right now, and it would be nice if it could stay that way. Sincere comments about how offended someone is will, currently, be met with the equivalent of an "okay boomer", but if they start getting taken seriously by the larger community (or what appears to be the larger community because vocal minority), then it's the same path again.

I think the mods here on GAF have tried very hard to make sure that it's becoming more and more a place where many diverse opinions are allowed and encouraged. I don't think anyone extreme position can be held up here for long, simply because there are too many others to slap that shit down. It's a little hard for the hard left (or the hard right for that matter) to overtake a forum's tone and atmosphere when there any enough people of differing values and opinions to give them the shit they so richly deserve. Think your worries are unfounded, but somewhat understandable.

Topher

Gold Member
Hmmm, so does Alex Battaglia dare show his face on resetera if/when Digital Foundry performs quality and performance analysis on Cyberpunk 2077? Or does DF drop all coverage of the game entirely and bow to the wishes of vocal minority on a single game forum? And remember, this will all come up again next year with the next gen patches. I think we've barely scratched the surface of the resetera implosion.

Trickster

wx4OQoM.png

Leaving aside how incredibly over the top this is, I'm not quite sure wanting to discuss a game is the same as wanting to kill people, it's another attempt to equate the oppression of black people, going on a few hundreds of years now, with trans rights. Fucking disgusting every time.

This isn't even about trans rights really. Most people on era are very pro trans, and didn't even have a problem with people being allowed to talk about and highlight these things about CDPR and the game that transera community have taken issue with.

As those people have now discovered though, you can't really appease the transera community. They'll just keep moving the goalpost of what they want until there's nothing left.

Last edited:

Karunamon

I think the mods here on GAF have tried very hard to make sure that it's becoming more and more a place where many diverse opinions are allowed and encouraged. I don't think anyone extreme position can be held up here for long, simply because there are too many others to slap that shit down. It's a little hard for the hard left (or the hard right for that matter) to overtake a forum's tone and atmosphere when there any enough people of differing values and opinions to give them the shit they so richly deserve. Think your worries are unfounded, but somewhat understandable.

That's very comforting to hear, and I didn't know about the bans thing until just now, some quality reading in that tab. Thanks for putting my mind at ease (and thanks EvilLore <3)

Vire

Pretty sad from where I was standing, too, on numerous levels. I've kept on keeping on, though. You didn't act in a hateful way back then, so welcome back. Always was fond of your GAF t-shirt designs.

Verified your identity and merged your accounts.
Thank you for the quick merge. With the polar extremes that two sites seemingly represent, I didn't necessarily feel like I belonged in either camp. NeoGAF being comprised of users on the more seemingly right politically and ERA being... well I don't know what that is but it's certainly not liberal or even left. For me I've always been somewhere closer to the left and liberal side of things and I hope some of the free minded and open to critique users are willing to do exactly what forums were intended for... Debate and discussion, that is why I am open to giving GAF another shot as the level of discourse seemingly is less regulated here. As long as it's not hateful I am incredibly cool with being challenged or disagreement.

Looking back, I had over 26,000 posts registering back in 2009. It feels like eons ago in some ways (I am married now, which I am sure some GAFer's know my infamous love story), and yet in other ways it almost feels like it was yesterday. The level of excitement around games and genuine fun I had with E3 around here is something I won't soon forget and it would be interesting to see if a swath of ERA users migrate back to here.

Last edited:
As predicted, when the reviews started coming in they lost their goddamn minds. The crushing reality that their small, insignificant bubble doesn't matter in the grand scheme of the reality they are so genuinely divorced from, comes back to bite them in the ass.

And like with all else, they can't accept that. Cancel them, burn them all, rid ourselves of all dissent and opinion until we are, quite literally, ten pathetic individuals posting the same tired shite that only tenuously connects to video games.

What an absolute dumpster fire of a site. Watching it absolutely unravel past the point of no return is legitimately the best thing 2020 has given us so far. After Yakuza 7, of course.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Thank you for the quick merge. With the polar extremes that two sites seemingly represent, I didn't necessarily feel like I belonged in either camp. NeoGAF being comprised of users on the more seemingly right politically and ERA being... well I don't know what that is but it's certainly not liberal or even left. For me I've always been somewhere closer to the left and liberal side of things and I hope some of the free minded and open to critique users are willing to do exactly what forums were intended for... Debate and discussion, that is why I am open to giving GAF another shot as the level of discourse seemingly is less regulated here. As long as it's not hateful I am incredibly cool with being challenged or disagreement.

We got some looney tunes in here, but not really any more or any less than other online forums. The key thing is that the extreme voices are diluted and rendered less powerful by the fact that most of us are probably hovering around in the centre of politics and social commentary, with some leaning more right, and others more left.

Last edited:

Ty_Lee

Neo Member
hii
so i've been lurking on era and here for the last couple of days and been present to the whole eraaa meltdown from the beginning, as it's been my main source of entertainment the whole weekend lmao
and just wanted to say i'm glad i found this forum as it's a much better alternative than era where you literally are not allowed to discuss the game and get shitted on if what you say doesn't match their narrative
so glad to be here and get to discuss the game with y'all!!! (and also witness the hilarious meltdown on era)

-Shodan-

Neo Member
Hi everyone! 👋

Just got my account validated and I thought about poppin in to say hello to you folks.
I was a Gaf lurker in 2012~'17, before creating an account on RE after the big exodus. Era has then been my post-work chill place to discuss and get news about one of my favorite hobbies, like I'm sure most of us do.
Well, I haven't been very active for the past year - during multiple lockdowns, of all times - as the climate has become more and more.. bizarre. Never knowing what the boundaries are, one assumes "well, let's just be polite and respectful as usual" thinking that would suffice, but it's so hard to coexist in a place with such strong influences, clear biases and dogmatic rules - explicit or less so. This even without taking into account their extremely weird moderation trends, where one can get banned just for expressing concerns that go against the grain: doesn't matter how respectfully, logically or according to the TOS one acts, their logic bends with the hivemind. Neutral points of view get you banned, it's a mind bending proposition.

I'm an European leftist, always been, and I was incredibly happy to see the stance taken by the Trans community over there in front of dubious actions from CDPR over CP77's development but even that got sour.
As valid as their concerns are, a community should never be in a position to dictate what a neutral individual should think, or say. I voiced my support for their cause in their thread multiple times but their continuous lashes towards neutral posters in the hype thread kept coming across as extremely wrong, especially after they started considering everyone that was just there to merely talk about the game as transphobe.

Then fast forward today with the whole thing blowing up and honestly, enough of that.
"Freedom of thought" is just not there.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to get into this community with you dirty bunch without worrying about the Gestapo.

Also hi Black Chamber 😉

Green Saber

Well said.

img_8666.jpg

lmimmfn

Looking back, I had over 26,000 posts registering back in 2009. It feels like eons ago in some ways (I am married now, which I am sure some GAFer's know my infamous love story), and yet in other ways it almost feels like it was yesterday. The level of excitement around games and genuine fun I had with E3 around here is something I won't soon forget and it would be interesting to see if a swath of ERA users migrate back to here.
We were all sold a lie with ERA, a lot of us posting in this thread are ex members who only discovered how insane that place is after we got banned because Era is a racist/hate site( read this thread, its shocking)
The poison in GAF back in the day left to take mod positions in Era so its sane here now, has been for years while that place is just nuts.

Welcome back

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Congrats on tying the knot. If the leanings of the Politics section bothers you, there's an Ignore Forum button that will hide the entire thing. First and foremost we're a gaming forum. Hateful users get the boot, which you can see transparently on the public ban page. We're not 4chan. We're also not ResetEra, though, and not big on being overly sensitive or problematizing everything. Make an effort to reintegrate and adjust and you'll do fine.

Raven117

Probably, I bet all discussion of the game will be banned soon enough
Yeah, its their only way forward. It was the only path available to them, but they were too cowardly to say it earlier. (Because they knew the game would be huge, and it is).

They may keep up a sticky or something about how CDPR is "transphobic" or something and whey they aren't discussing the game, but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom