• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ionian

I couldn't read the whole Napenthe post, things a bloody novel.

But she's Non-binary now? what? She flat-out said she straight and CIS before. She make that up just to wade into their discord?

The Ketkat coming back part is very funny. So utterly stupid.

Before everyone thanked them for help in the depression thread when they are completely mentally unhinged themselves.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'm finally happy to see those people (can I say just "people" or am I "dismissing minorities" if I don't label each and everyone of them like supermarket products?) at resetera being joyful for the game being removed from the store. It's the first time they're not angry and frustrated at something.

But at the same time... did they consider for a moment that the reason the game has been removed is not for the super nazi transphobia of the game? 🥸

MORE REASON TO KEEP FIGHTNING!!!
BRING IT ON!

(I've seen they are also accusing the company to, literally, put "to death half of the members" through crunch. That's the moment you realise these users never worked one day in their life and never understood the value of getting to work more to earn more).

Last edited:

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I'm finally happy to see those people (can I say just "people" or am I "dismissing minorities" if I don't label each and everyone of them like supermarket products?) at resetera being joyful for the game being removed from the store. It's the first time they're not angry and frustrated at something.
The proper term is unicorns.

Daffy Duck

twLWsFJ.png

Must kill them to have an ex-mod air their dirty laundry like that.

Delicious.

I love how these stupid cunts talk like they collaborated on running some kind of multinational organisation, you were a fucking moderator on an Internet forum you prick. 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Daffy Duck

Yeah and an interesting take from the Nepenthe brain dump is that it was never really about Cyberpunk this latest skirmish, it was all about that nut job KetKat.

Lol, what an utter shit hole of a place. But she once again reafffirms it’s a place for minorities and not white cis people, so if that’s you, leave them alone you’re not welcome there.

Daffy Duck

im sorry but

a)if your mental health is suffering like this so much then you are not suitable to be a moderator on a forum like ResetEra with the mission statement it has
B) sooner or later (after burning trough moderators like Era does and you constantly needing “mental health breaks”) you have to look inwards at the community you have carefully curated over the multiple years and banning to think “Is the problem actually our community?” And you need the minerals about you to tackle that head on (as a moderator) and turn the ship around and get rid of the toxic users for the betterment of your community and your sanity.

Cry me a fucking river if you don’t tackle the root cause of these problems and carry on with it, you have the power there, not the whiny little idiots you try to appease with every decision you make.

Last edited:

benjipwns

Banned
I've been both an admin and moderator on video game forums that were close to the same amount of active users as ResetERA.com. (Not the same amount of volume of posting however. ResetERA.com has lots of extremely high volume members.) I did a bunch of dumb stuff decision wise and there was some drama now and then but nothing like the endless crises. I never wrote five thousand words on it, multiple times and never had to quit for my mental/emotional/physical health.

Oh, and I was something like 15-16, not 30+.

Cob32

They're having a fucking party in the trans thread about the Sony-CDPR shit. The posts are as fucking hateful and absurd as you'd expect. The pure joy they take from the misfortune of others is.. disturbing.

It would be funny if the game gets a round of re-reviews after its ‘fixed’ and the metacritic goes even higher.

Huge Nepenthe post (she's an admin) and she locked the Constructive Criticism thread. Seems big. Too big to screenshot, so enjoy another wall of text from yours truly.

Alright, so this is probably going to be my only post in the thread. It's not gonna be any PR speak, nor is it going to assuage anyone's feelings, staff or members. Y'all are going to be mad, but that's the secret at this point. It’ll be a recap of things, but most of it is going to be about the toll this has taken on me. No, I don't give a shit if you think this is inappropriately rerouting the conversation; I'm burnt out and subsequently apathetic. I've been holding on to a lot of this for over a year, and I'm going to get it off my chest now before I discuss what I want to do for ResetEra moving forward. However you take it is on you. This thread will also be locked so you can't skip over it, and it will be reopened in 10 minutes, approximately 9:40 PM EST.

Let's start with Black Chamber. I don't want to relitigate too much, but yeah, that was a fuck-up, and I apologize. Even if he wasn't a MAGA asshat, his inability to consider the feelings of trans members meant he should've lost right to the OT immediately at the bare minimum. I believe part of the unstated goal of ResetEra is that members take an ethical approach to expressing video game fandom, by which I largely mean not stepping on the toes of minorities who get the short end of the stick in a medium that is largely still a conservative, white-ass cesspool of juvenility. BC didn't do that, so fuck him. And Cyberpunk, that trash-ass game.

After that, Sophia decided on her own to enter talks with Trans Era members. That was fair, and I know she was in Discords with and friends with members who were hurt by what happened. At this point, I wasn't asked to be involved, and frankly I wasn't going to be initially. I'm still exhausted from the Asian Era meeting (more on that at the end), and I didn't feel like picking up something like that at the moment. But from what I understood, the meeting was going to be about Black Chamber and Cyberpunk, how to handle contentious OTs, the issues with egregious fan hype- shit that had to do with the immediate issue that had happened to Trans Era.

Imagine my fucking surprise then when Toxi PMd me about Ketkat out of nowhere.

Again. I am not part of the Trans Era Discord. I was never included or mentioned as wanting to participate in anything Sophia was organizing at that time. Ket had fuck all to do with the Cyberpunk issue since she was banned. So why, oh why, is anyone relitigating this bullshit to me, specifically, at this moment in time?

I didn't respond to it. Instead I let staff know about it, at which point another staffer admitted they'd been strung up about Ketkat on Discord. I called it what it was- a set up- and actually told us to disengage, that the talks were not going to be productive, and that it was going to blow up some way or another. There was a lot of back and forth about it, to which again I want to apologize to Sophia about, who took this endeavor on entirely by herself in an effort to fix things. Everything that has gone down is an absolute insult to her and her efforts, and I know my reluctance was another wrench in the works.

I also want to make it clear that I didn't say this with the attempt to paint every single trans person who is an Era member, or even the overwhelming majority of trans members, as problematic. Minorities as a whole are NOT the problem. The majority of us here all want the same goals at the end of the day, which is for ResetEra to be a place where minorities can comfortably discuss gaming from their unique points of view without the bullshit they face everywhere else on the Internet. Kyuuji, for example, has been an amazing force for getting these issues pushed to the forefront of the wider forum at large. But the unstated fact here is that a lot of the issues regarding the forum culture and the nature of our moderation are inexplicably tied into toxicity and long-held grudges, and some individuals will use genuine efforts to better the site as opportunities to harass staff, a lot of them not even being part of the aggrieved groups in question.

I also want to further preface this by saying that it is likely my belief that the meeting was about the Cyberpunk incident, when instead it was about previous grievances, was nothing more than the result of miscommunication. I wasn't there with Sophia for the majority of the planning, so I don't know anything that was discussed. But again, from my perspective, I'm getting pulled into some irrelevant shit for a discussion that I never actually volunteered for. So yeah, it smelled funny to me and thus I thought the talks were a bad idea.

But they went forward anyway, even with Sophia- whose mental health had already taken a downturn due to prior stress- pulling out because the rules for engagement that were apparently established beforehand weren't respected by a few individuals in the Discord, and made her personal situation worse. From the gist of the participants, things weren't going too well. I think that, in general, people have appreciated my presence in these matters before and that I have somewhat of a knack for community engagement, so against my better judgement, against everything, and everyone- actual friends of mine- screaming at me not to do it, it is at that point when the meeting was already underway that I finally told them to give me an invite to see if I could help.

The beginning actually went pretty well! Ignoring sudden deluges of questions and the inconvenient timer, A.by, Banshee McSpook, Robin, and others were asking me questions, I would answer them to the best of my ability, and they would understand, regardless of whether or not the answers were what they wanted to hear. There were even a few laughs to be had. For a moment it was a genuine roundtable, and I was hopeful, especially since it was going to give me an opportunity to discuss things that staff had been talking about regarding long-term solutions. I will also admit that again my overall lack of participation in the planning phases meant that some of my answers and understanding of the purpose of the meeting meant I was inaccurate or ignorant to some of the things that were brought up, and a few members felt I had just been tossed in there (and I want to again appreciate the concern, but again I willingly volunteered last minute to talk.)

I was eventually faced with a Google Doc of demands/bullet points, and Ketkat jumped in around this time. As I had figured out before then, this really wasn't about the latest kerfuffle. Not fully. It was partially about Ket; indeed the first three points of the list revolved around her to various degrees. After some beating around the bush, I told her straight to her face that she wasn't coming back and that any demands folks had regarding her were totally non-negotiable.

That's when and why things blew up. We didn’t get to the rest of the list or any other questions various folks may have had. I faced a mix of angry venting, the dismissal of my identity (I'm NB), deliberately bad-faith readings of my posts, and petty snipes, particularly from Papa Santanas, who is also permed and thus I don't have the pleasure of fucking bodying them personally for engaging in an overstepping of bounds that I will talk about at length later on. Now note, the anger from various folks didn't personally bother me; I understand, especially because I know real life 2020 shit is compounding on top of the problems people have with staff and the forum, and thus I don't mind if people need to vent.

However, Ket also tried to paint me as a liar for my participation in the debacle back in November 2019 on top of this, which is fucking ironic because I am one of the few reasons she even got a third (not even a second) chance in the first place. Let it be known- without me jumping in that day, and without me having it out with staff about how things went down, Ket would've still been gone the first time. So any problem she, or anyone else who is in her circle, has with me on that front, you can miss me with that. I don’t give a fuck.

Regardless, once things settled, I was disingenuously asked by Ket if I had anything to say to everything that I had been privy to, all of the venting and rage and sarcasm, as if there is some magical response anyone can craft in the face of tens of posts of stream-of-consciousness to make it all better. And I will reiterate the same sentiment to you all.

No.

I don't.

Because while I can jump into threads and mediate, and answer questions, and engage with ideas, and take things back to staff, and field PMs, and remind my team of outstanding issues and tickets and things of that nature, and further codify new lessons in the rules and staff policies, I can't eliminate the hurt, the grudges, the feelings of betrayal, and the resulting toxicity coming from all corners of this blasted website whenever shit goes down, a lot of which is from people's personal lives or involves fights I was never privy to, and it was wrong for me to try to involve myself. I'm not a fucking Magical Negro and I'm tired of trying to play one at the expense of my mental health when, ultimately, none of this shit matters.

Because again, all of this? It's not REALLY about Cyberpunk. It's not even really about a few dumb bans and Poodle's dismissive "pound sand" remark to A.by (which shouldn't have been done and was uncalled for, no matter how he feels about it). We ALL need to be honest about that. It's about people being angry, and people not liking each other, and people unhappy with the community demographics and how those demographics inform the atmosphere, and about how personally betrayed people feel when their friends get banned, which staff can’t actually do anything about. And if it's all really about that, then individuals need to ask themselves if Era, even at its best, can give them the online community they desire. Because if nothing else, if Era cannot be a safe space, if staff- if I, Nepenthe- have failed that fucking badly, then it's not fair to any minorities to stay in a hostile environment, and for those people, I will not tell them to stay. It is selfish to beg people to put up with shit they don't have to put up with for the veneer of harmony. I don't even do that with some of my Discord friends who don't post on Era anymore, so why would I do that to others?

(Note: This is ACTUALLY what people are referring to when they discuss the "admin who told them to fuck off." Notice how fucking weasely that characterization is? I never once told anyone to fuck off.)

So afterwards I talked a little more with A.by, specifically about how her ticket was dismissed and about receiving an apology from the staffers who signed off on it. I told her that was perfectly fair because it was unprofessional, and would take it up with relevant staff to get apologies underway. That's where things ended.

Actually, no it's not, because I got pinged hours later- literally around TEN HOURS- by Hexe regarding the above, who said something to the effect of "customer service speak strikes again!" At that point, I had had it. I had fucking had it. I made a crack about Hexe not having the spine to say some shit like that to me on the day of my birthday, reiterated my stance, thanked TransEra for allowing me to talk with them, and requested politely not be pinged again. Hexe then said something to the effect of "you have to understand that we are just angry, and the fact that you're receiving angry responses is not your fault."

Then don't fucking act like it's my fault. Don't insult me. Don't get your lick in hours later and fall back on how you feel or any perceived slights you have that have nothing to do with me, as if merely being upset allows you the moral high ground to treat anyone any kind of way. I won't mince words- this is simply justifying verbal abuse, no two ways about it. And this shit happens all the time to staff, and any members who can see the verbal abuse and the justifications for what it is and who then get caught in the crossfire. At that point, Robin ended it. Some time later on, me and Alice were forcibly kicked.

And you know how I'm fucking right about all of this? You know how I have ground to say this despite being a staffer who should "shut up and listen" and not "tone police?" You know how some of this behavior is NOT okay? I woke up that next morning to a whole-ass three apologies from participants, two of whom were Robin and A.by! A.by apologized for how angry she got (which, again, I say to her that anger is okay. Venting is okay, healthy even! Everything she said to me personally was fair game and I will stick by that) and Robin was dismayed about how the talks were unproductive and ultimately nasty because of those few rabblerousers.

(Robin, btw, PM'd me during the original Trans Week debacle to check up on me. She is legit a good person and is invited permanently to my cookouts.)

The other apology, I will not name unless the person wants me to for the sake of their privacy because of what happened to them after the fact (but they are also absolutely lovely and I wanna talk with them again): they said they received pushback from the Discord for even daring to suggest that treating me, Sophia, and Alice with a modicum of basic human dignity for walking up in there and trying to work things out was unthinkable, and that in reality we deserved everything coming to us.

Imagine how shitty I felt for this person, someone who wanted to help mend relations, who was actually excited about some of the stuff I was able to talk about, someone who wasn't even around for the whole Ketkat thing, being told that their concern about some members' behavior was inappropriate simply because we are staffers and thus we are the enemy. Imagine how shitty I felt hearing that, cementing my original belief that- yes- I had walked right into a trap beget by a few assholes hijacking an important moment against my own better judgement.

Alas, here we are, once again, where unaddressed anger and dumb, unforced errors on part of staff have resulted in yet another one of these blow ups. Yes, the ban on Sibylus was wrong in the way it was conducted, and no amount of staff frustration can make that one okay. So I apologize; the ticket was sent in and we’ve reduced the ban and updated the banner to be more accurate and professional. And again, I know none of this is what anyone wants to hear (but I'm not in a placating mood anyway), and yet people want to know, especially in the wake of what was done to Sibylus and A.By’s PM, is how can Trans Era trust staff? Indeed, Papa said some backhanded bullshit during the meeting like "is there anyone on staff who can properly represent their community?"

So, you want to talk about minority communities and how they're represented? Let's talk about them! Specifically Black ERA! My friends, nay- my family. Y'all ain't put them in your mouths a lot during this entire time. Because you know you can't (or you've forgotten our existence. Not the first time you've excluded us).

Black ERA exists in a space that is just as hostile to them as it is for Trans ERA. They put up with cracka-ass nonsense constantly, a lot of which is from folks who also happen to be LGBT. They have dealt with a staff that has overlooked their concerns and has been ignorant to the issues, philosophies, and culture surrounding blackness and all various black cultures. They too had a meeting, the first one on the forums proper. While staff in general were involved, me and Mist took the reins. We ran back and forth between both parties to organize how the meeting was to be conducted, took feedback, arranged solutions on the fly, all in an effort to let them speak. And speak they did.

Changes happened within reason. AAVE language bans largely stopped. Bans for anti-black racism and pro-cop sentiments were largely helmed by black staff and given the proper punishments they deserved, and in general we started treating that more seriously overall. A lot of bullshit “hostility” reports being directed to black members were batted away. And we have allowed more leeway to black members to go in on stupid, white-ass shit. Has it solved literally everything regarding the culture of Era? Is Era a haven where black members can exist freely without any worry of facing any anti-black sentiments? Well, no; just look at the last few pages of this thread. Overall, Era still is a space dominated by whiteness, which is inevitable by sheer demographic force and is something we cannot change unless we start banning white folks en masse (and everyone understands this won’t happen). There are still some bans that Black Era and the BCC Discord have problems with to this day. I actually got into a protracted slapfight about one ban that I personally enacted, and they are free to tell it themselves in here if they want to however they want to tell it.

But what cannot be said is that I did not try, that Mist and the rest of staff did not try. It cannot be said that we don’t care. It cannot be said that I was incompetent. It cannot be said that I go to bat for them just for the woke points. I cannot be said that they don’t have full trust in me as a black staffer to handle the forum to the best of my ability. And that is what is missing-- trust, and the understanding that there is only so much that individual staffers can do and change on a whim not just because of the forum structure, but because of the people who inhabit it, trust and understanding that our hearts are in the right place even if we cannot push as far as we want to go or achieve every single point on a bullet list that some members want, trust and understanding that if we can’t deliver on something, or even if we get it wrong, it’s not because we hate Black Era because they’re black. They understand that this is a working relationship regarding an imperfect hand being dealt, and that we service them with the intent to make a better space for them to the best of our abilities, inch by inch, day by day.

So I will stand here and declare with pride and confidence that I have done right by Black Era members, and that I have taken these same exact methods and attitudes with me to other communities, including Trans Era. But the fact remains that my efforts just aren't reciprocated in kind.

You want to talk about how minorities here are chased away by staff? Well, where the fuck is the thought for Black Era members when you all use anti-police and black power rhetoric in an effort to foolishly demonstrate your contempt for staff? Where the fuck is your thought for Black Era when you start talking about MLK? Where the fuck is your thought for Black Era when you are NOWHERE to be found defending them when political armchair analysts shit on black people for being low-information voters, homophobes, or saboteurs of elections because they don’t want to vote for candidates that are pro-police? Where the fuck is your thought for Black Era when you co-opt our pain, our issues, our realities, solely for scoring points in some nonsnse internet drama? You want to know one of the reasons why a lot of Black Era doesn’t really engage with you all at this point in time with the exception of a few threads and their community thread? Look in a fucking mirror. Papa did that shit in the meeting too, and again I’m mad they’re permed because I can’t say this to their face. I’m paraphrasing, but this is what she said:

“Imagine being black or Asian and coming to the conclusion that staff just outright hate you for being a minority.”

This right here? Look at it. This is pure, unadulterated crackery. The whitest whitery that ever did white. This is Super Saiyan Blue Karen. It is some of the most uncolored bullshit I could have encountered in a meeting that had absolutely nothing to do with people of color in the first place!

So shame on those of you responsible for the shit you have been pulling, and the shit you pulled the last time during the Asian Era blow-up (Yeah, don’t think I forgot that purple Punisher logo), and every other time we’ve come to this point. I’m sure you’ve been seeing perms for the equation of anything that goes on on ERA to the reality of being black in America. Hello. That was my doing, and I don’t regret it. I don’t care what mistakes we have made, and I don’t even care what bigoted bullshit game companies have put out at this point. You are not George Floyd. You are not Breonna Taylor. You are not any of the myriad of black victims (many of which are trans) who have been legitimately lost to the spectre of white supremacy.

And again, this isn’t the first time this has happened- I’ve seen y’all try to gaslight about that and act like this is new. It ain’t new. What’s new is that this is the first time that I and Black Era are actually checking your asses in public. If you want this to be a forum that takes into account ACTUAL intersectionality, that is a safe space for ALL minorities, not just the groups you and your friends happen to belong to, do your due diligence to your black brothers and sisters and keep our names and our issues out your fucking mouths over forum bullshit. Or else you can get kicked off too.

This is another reason I’m fed up to the moon, and I will declare publicly that my staff team, particularly the ones of you who warned us for literally months that we would be strung up by some of these bad faith actors and trolls who always hijack these conversations, you were right. You were bang on right. And I’m sorry for not heeding the warnings. The sheer disingenuousness that runs concurrent through these conversations, and the inability for staff to check things like this because trying to do so and reroute things back to a course of productivity and understanding is picked apart with the most bad-faith readings imaginable and dismissed as tone-policing and ignoring the issues, even when it comes at the cost of stepping on other minorities in the process.

To say nothing of the fact that this behavior, as noted, runs rampant in the various community Discords too before it’s pushed back onto the forums writ large. A lot of feelings of anger, resentment, and dissatisfaction are had in places where we’re not present, or at the very least where we’re not staff. And it’s not like I don’t get it. Shit-talking and venting is gonna happen off-site. I’ve done it, you’ve done it. We’ve all done it. But it gets out of hand and makes it even harder for us to discern what is and isn’t good faith engagement when it gets self-perpetuating and unchallenged, and thus becomes part of the Discords’ culture, where even trans individuals can’t tell others to cool it a little bit without getting jumped on for "defending us." It gets perilous when you’ve got members from Era hopping on to Discords to stir up shit and then coming back here smiling in our face about the next blow-up that’s undoubtedly coming.

I’m not the only one this happens to. Every other staff member has at least several stories about some Discord or another opining that we’re legitimately out to get people, which only makes it that much harder to even engage in the chatting and discussions you supposedly want us to be involved in on site. People say they want us to be more active in threads. Who would want to do that when it’s clear a lot of folks just don’t like us as people? Like, why would I want to hang with someone who is not even intent on trying to coexist with me? I wouldn’t. Hell, you want to know why it’s easier for people to leave staff than it is for people to come aboard, even if we took out the interview process entirely? Because a lot of the people who turn us down just don’t want to deal with it. They see these threads, they see the attacks, they’re in the Discords reading what is posted, and they think “you must think I’m crazy to do this shit.”
o at staff, who think that the gall to volunteer our time for this place means it is open season on us, to those who think that we are your punching bags?

Pound sand.
iu

iu

iu

cormack12

Gold Member
Why do these posts always start with a big indemnity about how tired they are and how their mental health has suffered. I don't think there is a mod who hasn't had these issues. So, here's a thought when you're getting the same deranged individuals, either your recruitment advisors are inept or the pool of candidates is fucking insane. That's where independent moderation comes in that is paid. Why can't all the money go to that, with all the tax breaks from Delawere? haha.

Basically the post boiled down to I'm a massive victim, I'm going to call out this shit community, I'm gonna praise all my fist in air brothers and sista's, then I'm gonna get more angry as I write and say a lot of fuck yous and finally finish with a threat to resign whihc will never happen in order to garnish sympathy. The forum is a mirror of the admins Nepenthe. The issues you have with the users, they have with you. Process it and pound sand.

time to get one of these out of the cupboard

4a1390b802ecc0b96eb9b8a934dfea0f.gif

Not really sure what's happening now because fuck reading all these huge posts but I gather the battle lines are now redrawn to black vs trans

Feels like the end of the Narnia or Arthurian Britain or Ragnarok or something. It was seen and it has come to pass and, in the end, all will perish.

Huge Nepenthe post (she's an admin) and she locked the Constructive Criticism thread. Seems big. Too big to screenshot, so enjoy another wall of text from yours truly.

rambling

That has to be the most absurd wall of text I've ever seen on the site, especially because it comes from staff. It has it all: "if it weren't for ME, good things would not have happened"; "why do you not bring up OUR black issues in a trans-related problem?"; "being a staff member is exhausting, please understand"; "we can abuse our position as we please but fuck you if you retaliate"; the good old "I'm not a magical n*gr*" catchphrase; without forgetting to slander Black Chamber Black Chamber and saying how shitty Cyberpunk is for... reasons.

See folks, this is why Era is ran like shit. These are the folks that run the place, who shit on the community all year, ban hundreds of folks who simply did not agree with some of the most insane posts (and rest assured I'm on board with most of the fights Era stands for), then 1-2 times per year they retaliate with some harsh words, they prepare these walls of texts about how exhausted they are that they have to handle all these issues.

People don't insult moderation because it's fun. I mean, some certainly do, but things explode like this because staff does not allow anyone to speak differently. If they do, they get banned, warned, dogpiled, doxxed. If you want to hit up the staff for being mistreated, they will straight up ignore you unless you're in their direct friend/Discord circle. Contact Us, tickets, they're slow or not answered at all. Bring up the issue on the forum and the discussion is shut down in seconds, you may even get banned for meta-commentary. Various "official" Era Discords plain and simple forbid Era talk. So when folks finally have a time and space to talk, of course they will, and it will be a wild ride as folks have accumulated months of injustices to discuss about.

This doesn't justify harassment. But if you spend 11 months a year ignoring every concern the users have and openly shit on their needs and desires, you're going to get a more aggressive approach from them when they finally have a chance to speak up, and they will unfortunately derail other bigger issues because theirs has never ever been addressed. Don't want all that? Moderating a forum is so exhausting that a meeting a year earlier is still taking its toll on you? Step the fuck down. Nobody is forcing or paying these folks to take that vile abuse. Move on with your life, do something productive.

But then they'd lose the holier than thou status, the privilege, the power of being able to decide who speaks what on everyone's favourite gaming forum (heh).

nush

That has to be the most absurd wall of text I've ever seen on the site, especially because it comes from staff. It has it all: "if it weren't for ME, good things would not have happened"; "why do you not bring up OUR black issues in a trans-related problem?"; "being a staff member is exhausting, please understand"; "we can abuse our position as we please but fuck you if you retaliate"; the good old "I'm not a magical n*gr*" catchphrase; without forgetting to slander Black Chamber Black Chamber and saying how shitty Cyberpunk is for... reasons.

See folks, this is why Era is ran like shit. These are the folks that run the place, who shit on the community all year, ban hundreds of folks who simply did not agree with some of the most insane posts (and rest assured I'm on board with most of the fights Era stands for), then 1-2 times per year they retaliate with some harsh words, they prepare these walls of texts about how exhausted they are that they have to handle all these issues.

People don't insult moderation because it's fun. I mean, some certainly do, but things explode like this because staff does not allow anyone to speak differently. If they do, they get banned, warned, dogpiled, doxxed. If you want to hit up the staff for being mistreated, they will straight up ignore you unless you're in their direct friend/Discord circle. Contact Us, tickets, they're slow or not answered at all. Bring up the issue on the forum and the discussion is shut down in seconds, you may even get banned for meta-commentary. Various "official" Era Discords plain and simple forbid Era talk. So when folks finally have a time and space to talk, of course they will, and it will be a wild ride as folks have accumulated months of injustices to discuss about.

This doesn't justify harassment. But if you spend 11 months a year ignoring every concern the users have and openly shit on their needs and desires, you're going to get a more aggressive approach from them when they finally have a chance to speak up, and they will unfortunately derail other bigger issues because theirs has never ever been addressed. Don't want all that? Moderating a forum is so exhausting that a meeting a year earlier is still taking its toll on you? Step the fuck down. Nobody is forcing or paying these folks to take that vile abuse. Move on with your life, do something productive.

But then they'd lose the holier than thou status, the privilege, the power of being able to decide who speaks what on everyone's favourite gaming forum (heh).

I laughed when she started refering to the other mods as "Her" staff. Bitch please, you bag prescriptions at Walgreens for a living nobody's ever going to put you in charge of shit. Lets not forget she was the diversity hire to calm down Black Era when they had a meltdown, it wasn't made on actual merit.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Have any of the staff here ever considered suicide due to the stress of moderating a forum? If not, sounds like a lack of commitment to me, because that seems to be industry standard.

Resign bitches.

I like that people are returning from the mad house and finding a place here and all that hippy shit, but....

...please learn to truncate, people, holy shit.

I noticed too when I quoted it that it's not fitting. I'm not sure what's the character limit on Era because I never even got close to that, but if we assume it's the same as Gaf (same forum software after all), that means Nepenthe may even have had to edit out some stuff because the character limit was just inches away when the message stopped. Imagine doing an incoherent rant without copy-pasting anything but going on from memory that nearly breaks the forum's character limit. And imagine that, at the end of that message, nobody's any wiser because it all was a collection of "I'm the one who did the most", "why aren't people talking about black people like me in a trans incident?", "we're always right" and "you're always wrong".

Astonishing, truly

Ionian

I like that people are returning from the mad house and finding a place here and all that hippy shit, but....

...please learn to truncate, people, holy shit.

Yeah, I've just started skipping those posts. Not interested in massive posts, just get to the point.

Reads like a 'Dear Diary ... ' entry.

His is why they are always “so tired” because they write 5,000 word posts grand standing about the most insignificant bullshit imaginable

it has to take a massive toll on you to be that big a tool
Holy fck it has to be so exhausting... Meanwhile Mbape is starving in the Congo. Those idiots don't know how good they have it, creating problems out of thin air. Such empty lives they must live. So sad.

Kayhan

These people can't stop making shit up. There is literally zero evidence of Black Chamber Black Chamber being a nazi anywhere.

It is straight up defamation.

Hexe said:
7th (?) of December, Black Chamber turns out to be a nazi.

This is from Hexe's long form screed in the TransEra vs. BlackEra thread by the way.

Turns out, the whole debacle is less to do with Cyberpunk 2077 and more to do with a power struggle between TransEra and BlackEra about who gets to be the dominant voice on ResetEra.

Everyone else? You don't get a voice at all, asshole. Sit down and listen!

Long form Hexe screed below:

Hexe said:
So in Nepenthe's post, she is giving a timeline of events from her perspective.

This is my timeline (in CEST timezone, might be different days for different people). Note that this represents only MY perception of events, I am not a representative for TransEra or trans people in general. The only reason I'm doing this is because we keep getting portrayed as mean bullies or something, like we're a toxic element on this site, the whole trans community like it's a monolith, by people in this very thread, and staff is just standing by letting it happen. And since events from the discord are being brought up by staff again, I feel like I have to respond to that, because if I don't we'll keep being portrayed as troublemakers and bullies. The only reason I talk about offsite interactions is because staff has brought up these interactions first. We were going to keep everyone's privacy about their offsite activity away from this, but if we are doing that while staff doesn't, we can't defend ourselves. And to be clear, that's what this is, a defense.

For full context, I will have to line out a few events leading up to this. I think with this all in mind the story of "TransEra are toxic and bullied Sophia into quitting" will hopefully be deflated. I'm not writing this from memory.

Pre-timeline: Ketkat ban, AsianEra discussion thread and "Takeaways" thread, resulting AsianEra exodus/bans, Shamima Begum thread and MuslimEra exodus/bans, and probably a whole lot more that are not on my radar right now. Not going into detail on any of those.

1st of November, Sophia joins the TransEra discord. She is there as a trans person, not as a mod.

30th of November, Aby is banned for this post: https://www.resetera.com/threads/no...and-advance-lgbtq-rights.335045/post-52769529
On discord, people talk about this ban in the meta channel, without addressing Sophia at all. Sophia responds anyway with an extremely passive aggressive post starting with the word "sigh" and ending with the sentence "I don't mean to be blunt, but y'all do realize you have one of your own as an admin, right?", so she clearly sees her position in the staff team as an all around defense of said staff team against any of the issues we've been facing. Someone answers "yes, and people know they have a right to express their opinions [...] Aby is just one more [ban of trans people getting upset about bad faith posters]". Sophia answers with the word "sigh" and leaves the discord immediately. So we're starting off here with a complete dismissal of all our issues surrounding Era, because I guess having trans staff makes you immune against any criticism? Personal comment now in hindsight: a discord server exclusively having trans people on it apparently doesn't get that same immunity (and shouldn't, but staff shouldn't either).

4th of December, a TransEra member sends in a ban appeal after four months and it gets denied with a message basically saying (paraphrased) "we don't believe your apology because you keep attacking the staff and spreading misinformation", which is a bit strange because the only place she could have been "attacking the staff and spreading misinformation" would have been outside of Era. Again, she had been banned for 4(!) months at this point. This leads to some suspicions, some joking some half serious, that there must be some moles in her discords. The ban appeal reads sincere and could have been answered with something neutral like "we don't re-examine bans this soon" or something, instead of something dripping with contempt and resentment.

Just in general, for weeks leading up to the 6th (?) of December, staff does not believe trans people and others who point out that Black Chamber, the creator of the Cyberpunk OTs (who has been banned for bigotry before) is a bad faith poster ("Please just say that the transphobia around this game won't be ignored" - "Everybody is welcome 💯") and believes him instead. During this period a whole lot of trans people and cis allies are banned for voicing their frustrations at this situation. There's a lot more stuff going on like him lying about Kyuji threatening to derail his thread and shit like that (where again, staff sided with him).

6th of December, Sophia writes this post: https://www.resetera.com/threads/cd...-making-excuses-for-them.307474/post-53318362
Black Chamber is supposed to take a voluntary 1 month ban to appease the people speaking up about him. Some TransEra members and allies express their worry that the expected result of this will be that he will be seen as some kind of martyr for the reasonable, polite centrists (a lot of whom we have identified and reported as bad faith posters), a clumsy but essentially innocent lamb who had to be sacrificed to appease the unreasonable SJWs. "They're letting him martyr himself". Which people in the thread use as an opportunity to dogwhistle about what a standup guy he is and how it sucks that he's being "harassed".

7th (?) of December, Black Chamber turns out to be a nazi. The only way this could be proven was by someone finding his twitter account, so this is still not because staff believes minorities when they hear a dogwhistle for the 100th time, but just because they could not keep denying it. B-Dubs writes this post: https://www.resetera.com/threads/cd...-making-excuses-for-them.307474/post-53342845
He specifically claims that the previous accusations where only that he was a shill for CDPR, not a bad faith poster in general (again, staff not listening to trans voices). And there is no apology to all the people who were banned before, just a promise that the bans in the OT will be reviewed. A whole lot of trans people and cis allies are pointing out, in this thread and others, that this is incident is emblematic - this is what they experience all the time on Era, Era staff prioritizing civility over minority voices, and this time, to the point of literally VOUCHING for a bigot despite his ban history. These people are pointing out that this has happened with AsianEra and MuslimEra before. A lot of them, again, are banned for hostility.

Later on the 7th of December, there is an apology from staff to trans Era members. B-Dubs writes:
"I know it must be incredibly frustrating for the members who raised concerns about Black Chamber that not only were they not heeded, he turned out to be even worse than anyone knew - but many of you clearly suspected, and we should've listened. This is especially true in regards to the trans members of the community, who openly voiced their concerns and were talked down to, instead of being heard. We know the community relies on us to catch this kind of thing, and in this case we fucked up, plain and simple. Again, I apologize for that."
A lot of trans people have given in to cynicism at this point and while they appreciate the apology, what they would like to see are systematic changes, or at least the admittance that this is a systematic problem, and that they have messed up before. For example, everything around the AsianEra takeaway thread. And the fact that this very thread is mostly unknown to the community at large by hiding it in the announcements section. And people who were banned in the confrontation with and about Black Chamber never got an apology.

- Also on the 7th of December, Sophia contacts the TransEra discord and wants to talk. A lot of users are sceptical about this, because of the timeline I've laid out here including the "sigh" moment. But we are fine with having a conversation despite that. She lets us know that she has handed in her resignation for after these talks and that this mending of relations is important to her. The fact that she had already handed in her resignation could probably easily be verified by the staff members she sent it to. Any claims that Sophia was bullied into retirement are 100% incorrect. Either misinformed or a straight up lie. But who knows? Maybe Sophia told us she had handed in her resignation but then changed her mind and only handed it in after the talks? I wouldn't blame her for that. Regardless, it's being painted here as if there is a direct causal relation from the talks to Sophia quitting and that is just provably untrue.

I don't know what Sophia's plans for these talks were, but in my understanding, what TransEra wanted was for Sophia to understand the history of our issues surrounding moderation (civility over minority voices) and the forum biosphere that nourishes (bad faith posters and dogwhistling leading to bans for the people who call them out). This was important to many of us because of the disregard she had shown for our concerns around moderation during the "sigh" moment. We wanted her to understand that this was not an isolated incident. What happens in the beginning of these talks can in my view be generalized as: discord member brings up an issue (i.e. ban for hostility against someone dogwhistling) -> Sophia looks into it, says she agrees, but does not have the power to do anything about it. This is all couched in customer service de-escalation language which is grating to me personally because I had to use it in my former line of work, and I feel like the use of this language is manipulative. To be clear, I'm not accusing her of manipulation, it's just my personal association. Because we hear "I don't actually have that power", we ask for B-Dubs to join the talks. She says she messaged him but he's offline right now and she'll get back to us.

But again, Black Chamber wasn't the only issue, the situation was emblematic for how trans people are generally treated on Era. If we didn't care deeply about these issues, we wouldn't bother having these talks, right? And we're not a unified voice, we're a bunch of people who each have their own history. So for example, Ketkat's ban is brought up by several people, but that was not a sticking point for everyone, that was just another example for "trans person reacts to bad faith poster and gets banned for hostility". Ketkat herself, from the very beginning, expressed that she actually had no interest in being unbanned, because the forum had become such a hostile place towards her. And obviously it was never going to happen because of the contempt some staff members apparently are still carrying around. This is what was told to us by all three mods in these discussions: They didn't agree with the decision on the Ketkat ban, but there was nothing they could do because of "past grievances".

At some point the OT comes up because someone has to write it, right? (A lot of trans Era members would prefer a full on ban.) So a member of the discord offers to write it. It's pointed out that a staff member should post it so that the discord member won't be perceived as a token trans person, so that the thread won't be perceived as "all of TransEra signed off on this". In the end, Sophia as a staff member posts the OT, and the worry comes true. Example without linking the poster:
"Shout out to transEra for all the work they have put in to getting this together, voicing their thoughts, advocating for an inclusive forum and, through all the shit they have been given, still wanting people to have a space to discuss this game and issues."
Some TransEra members who were opposed to having an OT in the first place feel like this is an erasure of their opinion. Full disclosure, I'm one of them.

Alice joins discussions, and kind of misreads the room, trying to lighten up the mood, joking around etc., which is not perceived well, as it feels to some members like she is not taking the talks seriously. Again, not saying that she didn't, this is about perceptions.

Even with Alice in the talks, it overall doesn't change from "we hear you, we'll look into it, we agree it's an issue, we can't really change it but we'll do anything in our power to look into this for you". We were left completely in the dark if anything was actually happening, if other staff were contacted about anything, but we were going off the assumption that staff knew that these talks were happening, mostly because Sophia mentioned writing and sending emails to staff several times. Again, because we are hearing "we don't have that kind of power", we are asking for B-Dubs to join. Again, "that's a good idea, we'll see what we can do about getting him in here".

This goes on for 5 days.

On the 12th of December, one of us realizes that a problematic situation we had been reporting to staff over and over again, and that had been brought up in our talks, was resolved. The two mods in our discord didn't mention anything about it, so we asked, hey, that's cool, so these talks are going somewhere? We can have an impact with this? But we were told by one of the two , I quote, "I want to stress that this isn't because of anything said in here." and some more stuff that I can't mention because it would give away what the situation was about. In any case, we were treated as if we would take this "victory" and parade it around or something, but instead we were told to not bring it up in the discussion ever again, which was perceived as very hostile.

So people are upset. They're not attacking the mods, but they are responding to the tone with questions. "So you're saying you can't really change anything, and the one thing that changed for the better, we definitely didn't have an impact on? So why are we even bothering then?", that kind of thing.

At this point, Nepenthe joins the talks. She is apparently completely out of the loop and thought this all was just about Black Chamber? She says she was PM'ed by a random user (who is neither trans nor in the discord) about the Ketkat ban, and seems agitated over this and, as I understand it, in her eyes this is proof that the talks were leaked? This all is cause for confusion.

Sophia leaves the discord without further communication and we are told by Alice that this is for health reasons, and that she was thanking us for our time and giving her the space to work this out, nothing about how we were supposedly bullying her? Which makes it seem very disingenous to portray it as such. We never meant to make her feel bad and there was never any pushback from either of them.

After getting over the confusion (but seemingly Nepenthe still thinks we leaked that we were talking about Ketkat?), we go through the same cycle again. Member brings something up, Nepenthe looks into it, she says she'll see what she can do, turns out it's not in her power. But at least she's direct to us about Ketkat, saying there is no way that Ketkat will ever be on Era again. (Again, Ketkat never wanted to come back, but it would have been a symbolic gesture of good will because if the TransEra discord would be in agreement about one single thing, it's that Ketkat has been done dirty.) Again, because we are being told "I don't have that kind of power", we ask that B-Dubs join in the discussion. Again, "we'll see what we can do".

So at this point I say something snippish about hearing the same PR talk again, which was wrong and hotheaded of me. The reason that happened hours after the fact is that I was asleep, again, CEST timezone. I woke up to the 3rd mod captain out of 5 telling us they don't actually have any power, and I, like many others on the server, had had enough of this seemingly neverending cycle.

Nepenthe reacts to this by telling us to do what we need to do for the sake of our mental health regarding Era (which I personally read as "if you have issues with the way Era is, you might have a mental health issue") and that she's not going to "fucking beg anyone to stay", and that she won't stay in the discord to serve as a target for anyone's anger and frustration, thanks us for the invite and ends it with "Don't ping or quote me again".

So, some of us read this as targeted at me specifically (the don't ping or quote me again part), but others including the mods of the server read it as targeted against the whole server, "you" as in "all of you" and not as in "you, Hexe". This is probably informed by the frustration we have been going through for days at this point. Remember, the talks started on the 7th CEST, for me it is now the morning of the 14th. So, the server mods read Nepenthe's message as "these talks are over, just leave Era if you don't like it" so they remove the two remaining Era staff members (they only had access to the discussion channel) because the roles channel hasn't been functioning properly and we have new users coming in. (That's what I was told, I don't know how discord works.)

So now in hindsight, reading the posts by Poodlestrike, Sophia, Alice and now Nepenthe I think there are some things that the staff members took as attacks but were not meant as such:
- Sophia read our criticisms of how Era is moderated as us bullying and erasing her identity, which was never intended (nor did any one of us - two dozen or so who were active in the talks - read it this way), and if we had been told about it we would have apologized?
- Nepenthe read a user PM'ing her about Ketkat as proof that we were leaking content of the talks while in reality it was just a random cis user unrelated to TransEra who had no idea about the talks
- Alice read the removal of the two remaining staff members from the discord as an insult to the both of them, which was based on a misunderstanding of Nepenthe's last post

So, again, I want to emphasize what I wrote as a response to Nepenthe's last message in the discord (paraphrased a few words for context):

I hope everyone here realizes that we've spent a week in there with 3 out of 5 mod captains who have kept on saying the same stuff over and over again, that they agree with us but don't have any actual power. I think frustration and disillusionment are a very normal and healthy reaction to this. Catching some of that frustration is not really on a single staff member who was in there. We could have been told from the beginning that era staff including trans staff don't care about us (the people in the TransEra discord, again, 70+ people) enough to make actual changes or gestures beyond promises which consistently have been empty. In fact that was what most of us have been convinced of, some for a year or so, some longer. There are more trans people on our and the NB discord who have left era or have been permabanned for standing up for themselves ("history of hostility" is a meme there) than there are active posters. We have already been run off. Sophia is the one who made us think that staff might have an interest in mending relations, but apparently we've just been strung along for a week. All the while being completely left in the dark.

Not @ing Nepenthe because she told me not to.

Last edited:

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
From what I read on Era from the prominent spewers of BlackChamber diss tracks, they just don't know, or don't care, what a Nazi is. That's already enough to fly off spinning in circles with erect middle fingers.

It's essential for adults to pick the right terms for stuff when barfing words in public. If you can't, and can't be reasoned with to correct such abstruse misuse of pretty clearly defined terms, the assumption is that discussion with you is pointless because you're working with a broken framework, and engaging with you amounts to implicit conceit that the framework is something to be reasoned with when it's kaputt. In 2020, who's stupid enough to do that? After all the shit we've all been through?

Fuck off.

The best part of the "but what about us blacks" is that if any user pulls that card in the CDPR transphobia thread, a ban is issued for whataboutism and derail. Now we have an admin do that for like 8 paragraphs in a row.

Loope

Nepenthe is an arrogant piece of shit who thinks the world revolves around her. But she ain't shit outside of her little place of privilege on ResetEra.

Her entire idiotic post is about BlackEra because she resents more than anything that the focus for a second was on TransEra and not BlackEra.

She is petty, small-minded and self-centered.

Oh and she is fine with dead white babies.

WTF? Seriously?

Ionian

WTF? Seriously?

Yup. Some rapper made a video and the lyrics included killing white babies.

She defended it because they were white. She hates white people.

This dude, she went on a rant about white people. Pretty normal for her.

EDIT: also people were banned for saying it was fucked up.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
One of her parents has to be white. Would explain so much.

Her entire existence seems to be a tantrum thrown at mommy or daddy

Last edited:

Ionian

One of her parents has to be white. Would explain so much.

Her entire existence seems to be a tantrum thrown at mommy or daddy

Wasn't the stepfather that gave her thee car loan white?

I could be completely wrong, just thought I saw that mentioned. Open for correction on that.

Arimer

After reading a lot of this thread and seeing the current journalist reaction i now understand why games and movies don't take chances. These people that demand inclusivity and shit like that will destroy you if you don't do it exactly right. Instead of focusing on what you did do and praising that which would lead to more and more of it happening in a better way, they focus on what you didn't do and tear you down and demean you for it making sure that no one will ever touch that subject again. They are their own worst enemy but are too blinded to see that. Not to mention the performative aspects of the whole thing.

After reading a lot of this thread and seeing the current journalist reaction i now understand why games and movies don't take chances. These people that demand inclusivity and shit like that will destroy you if you don't do it exactly right.
You don't put boundaries in art. At least you shouldn't. (And I don't think that games are art).

If you want inclusivity (and this is not a bad thing), go make a new movie/game, not demand that what already exists fit a checklist.

If they really wanted that, games like Dandara (with a brazilian black woman as a protagonist) would have been a success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom