• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
punching bags are filled with sand though. she says people treat staff like punching bags, then tells them to punch sand? so feel free to punch these mods I guess?

like lol even when they try to sound clever they just own themselves. look at the word vomit from this retard

Last edited:

nush

Nepanthe meltdown post reposted so you don't have to look for it.

Alright, so this is probably going to be my only post in the thread. It's not gonna be any PR speak, nor is it going to assuage anyone's feelings, staff or members. Y'all are going to be mad, but that's the secret at this point. It’ll be a recap of things, but most of it is going to be about the toll this has taken on me. No, I don't give a shit if you think this is inappropriately rerouting the conversation; I'm burnt out and subsequently apathetic. I've been holding on to a lot of this for over a year, and I'm going to get it off my chest now before I discuss what I want to do for ResetEra moving forward. However you take it is on you. This thread will also be locked so you can't skip over it, and it will be reopened in 10 minutes, approximately 9:40 PM EST.

Let's start with Black Chamber. I don't want to relitigate too much, but yeah, that was a fuck-up, and I apologize. Even if he wasn't a MAGA asshat, his inability to consider the feelings of trans members meant he should've lost right to the OT immediately at the bare minimum. I believe part of the unstated goal of ResetEra is that members take an ethical approach to expressing video game fandom, by which I largely mean not stepping on the toes of minorities who get the short end of the stick in a medium that is largely still a conservative, white-ass cesspool of juvenility. BC didn't do that, so fuck him. And Cyberpunk, that trash-ass game.

After that, Sophia decided on her own to enter talks with Trans Era members. That was fair, and I know she was in Discords with and friends with members who were hurt by what happened. At this point, I wasn't asked to be involved, and frankly I wasn't going to be initially. I'm still exhausted from the Asian Era meeting (more on that at the end), and I didn't feel like picking up something like that at the moment. But from what I understood, the meeting was going to be about Black Chamber and Cyberpunk, how to handle contentious OTs, the issues with egregious fan hype- shit that had to do with the immediate issue that had happened to Trans Era.

Imagine my fucking surprise then when Toxi PMd me about Ketkat out of nowhere.

Again. I am not part of the Trans Era Discord. I was never included or mentioned as wanting to participate in anything Sophia was organizing at that time. Ket had fuck all to do with the Cyberpunk issue since she was banned. So why, oh why, is anyone relitigating this bullshit to me, specifically, at this moment in time?

I didn't respond to it. Instead I let staff know about it, at which point another staffer admitted they'd been strung up about Ketkat on Discord. I called it what it was- a set up- and actually told us to disengage, that the talks were not going to be productive, and that it was going to blow up some way or another. There was a lot of back and forth about it, to which again I want to apologize to Sophia about, who took this endeavor on entirely by herself in an effort to fix things. Everything that has gone down is an absolute insult to her and her efforts, and I know my reluctance was another wrench in the works.

I also want to make it clear that I didn't say this with the attempt to paint every single trans person who is an Era member, or even the overwhelming majority of trans members, as problematic. Minorities as a whole are NOT the problem. The majority of us here all want the same goals at the end of the day, which is for ResetEra to be a place where minorities can comfortably discuss gaming from their unique points of view without the bullshit they face everywhere else on the Internet. Kyuuji, for example, has been an amazing force for getting these issues pushed to the forefront of the wider forum at large. But the unstated fact here is that a lot of the issues regarding the forum culture and the nature of our moderation are inexplicably tied into toxicity and long-held grudges, and some individuals will use genuine efforts to better the site as opportunities to harass staff, a lot of them not even being part of the aggrieved groups in question.

I also want to further preface this by saying that it is likely my belief that the meeting was about the Cyberpunk incident, when instead it was about previous grievances, was nothing more than the result of miscommunication. I wasn't there with Sophia for the majority of the planning, so I don't know anything that was discussed. But again, from my perspective, I'm getting pulled into some irrelevant shit for a discussion that I never actually volunteered for. So yeah, it smelled funny to me and thus I thought the talks were a bad idea.

But they went forward anyway, even with Sophia- whose mental health had already taken a downturn due to prior stress- pulling out because the rules for engagement that were apparently established beforehand weren't respected by a few individuals in the Discord, and made her personal situation worse. From the gist of the participants, things weren't going too well. I think that, in general, people have appreciated my presence in these matters before and that I have somewhat of a knack for community engagement, so against my better judgement, against everything, and everyone- actual friends of mine- screaming at me not to do it, it is at that point when the meeting was already underway that I finally told them to give me an invite to see if I could help.

The beginning actually went pretty well! Ignoring sudden deluges of questions and the inconvenient timer, A.by, Banshee McSpook, Robin, and others were asking me questions, I would answer them to the best of my ability, and they would understand, regardless of whether or not the answers were what they wanted to hear. There were even a few laughs to be had. For a moment it was a genuine roundtable, and I was hopeful, especially since it was going to give me an opportunity to discuss things that staff had been talking about regarding long-term solutions. I will also admit that again my overall lack of participation in the planning phases meant that some of my answers and understanding of the purpose of the meeting meant I was inaccurate or ignorant to some of the things that were brought up, and a few members felt I had just been tossed in there (and I want to again appreciate the concern, but again I willingly volunteered last minute to talk.)

I was eventually faced with a Google Doc of demands/bullet points, and Ketkat jumped in around this time. As I had figured out before then, this really wasn't about the latest kerfuffle. Not fully. It was partially about Ket; indeed the first three points of the list revolved around her to various degrees. After some beating around the bush, I told her straight to her face that she wasn't coming back and that any demands folks had regarding her were totally non-negotiable.

That's when and why things blew up. We didn’t get to the rest of the list or any other questions various folks may have had. I faced a mix of angry venting, the dismissal of my identity (I'm NB), deliberately bad-faith readings of my posts, and petty snipes, particularly from Papa Santanas, who is also permed and thus I don't have the pleasure of fucking bodying them personally for engaging in an overstepping of bounds that I will talk about at length later on. Now note, the anger from various folks didn't personally bother me; I understand, especially because I know real life 2020 shit is compounding on top of the problems people have with staff and the forum, and thus I don't mind if people need to vent.

However, Ket also tried to paint me as a liar for my participation in the debacle back in November 2019 on top of this, which is fucking ironic because I am one of the few reasons she even got a third (not even a second) chance in the first place. Let it be known- without me jumping in that day, and without me having it out with staff about how things went down, Ket would've still been gone the first time. So any problem she, or anyone else who is in her circle, has with me on that front, you can miss me with that. I don’t give a fuck.

Regardless, once things settled, I was disingenuously asked by Ket if I had anything to say to everything that I had been privy to, all of the venting and rage and sarcasm, as if there is some magical response anyone can craft in the face of tens of posts of stream-of-consciousness to make it all better. And I will reiterate the same sentiment to you all.

No.

I don't.

Because while I can jump into threads and mediate, and answer questions, and engage with ideas, and take things back to staff, and field PMs, and remind my team of outstanding issues and tickets and things of that nature, and further codify new lessons in the rules and staff policies, I can't eliminate the hurt, the grudges, the feelings of betrayal, and the resulting toxicity coming from all corners of this blasted website whenever shit goes down, a lot of which is from people's personal lives or involves fights I was never privy to, and it was wrong for me to try to involve myself. I'm not a fucking Magical Negro and I'm tired of trying to play one at the expense of my mental health when, ultimately, none of this shit matters.

Because again, all of this? It's not REALLY about Cyberpunk. It's not even really about a few dumb bans and Poodle's dismissive "pound sand" remark to A.by (which shouldn't have been done and was uncalled for, no matter how he feels about it). We ALL need to be honest about that. It's about people being angry, and people not liking each other, and people unhappy with the community demographics and how those demographics inform the atmosphere, and about how personally betrayed people feel when their friends get banned, which staff can’t actually do anything about. And if it's all really about that, then individuals need to ask themselves if Era, even at its best, can give them the online community they desire. Because if nothing else, if Era cannot be a safe space, if staff- if I, Nepenthe- have failed that fucking badly, then it's not fair to any minorities to stay in a hostile environment, and for those people, I will not tell them to stay. It is selfish to beg people to put up with shit they don't have to put up with for the veneer of harmony. I don't even do that with some of my Discord friends who don't post on Era anymore, so why would I do that to others?

(Note: This is ACTUALLY what people are referring to when they discuss the "admin who told them to fuck off." Notice how fucking weasely that characterization is? I never once told anyone to fuck off.)

So afterwards I talked a little more with A.by, specifically about how her ticket was dismissed and about receiving an apology from the staffers who signed off on it. I told her that was perfectly fair because it was unprofessional, and would take it up with relevant staff to get apologies underway. That's where things ended.

Actually, no it's not, because I got pinged hours later- literally around TEN HOURS- by Hexe regarding the above, who said something to the effect of "customer service speak strikes again!" At that point, I had had it. I had fucking had it. I made a crack about Hexe not having the spine to say some shit like that to me on the day of my birthday, reiterated my stance, thanked TransEra for allowing me to talk with them, and requested politely not be pinged again. Hexe then said something to the effect of "you have to understand that we are just angry, and the fact that you're receiving angry responses is not your fault."

Then don't fucking act like it's my fault. Don't insult me. Don't get your lick in hours later and fall back on how you feel or any perceived slights you have that have nothing to do with me, as if merely being upset allows you the moral high ground to treat anyone any kind of way. I won't mince words- this is simply justifying verbal abuse, no two ways about it. And this shit happens all the time to staff, and any members who can see the verbal abuse and the justifications for what it is and who then get caught in the crossfire. At that point, Robin ended it. Some time later on, me and Alice were forcibly kicked.

And you know how I'm fucking right about all of this? You know how I have ground to say this despite being a staffer who should "shut up and listen" and not "tone police?" You know how some of this behavior is NOT okay? I woke up that next morning to a whole-ass three apologies from participants, two of whom were Robin and A.by! A.by apologized for how angry she got (which, again, I say to her that anger is okay. Venting is okay, healthy even! Everything she said to me personally was fair game and I will stick by that) and Robin was dismayed about how the talks were unproductive and ultimately nasty because of those few rabblerousers.

(Robin, btw, PM'd me during the original Trans Week debacle to check up on me. She is legit a good person and is invited permanently to my cookouts.)

The other apology, I will not name unless the person wants me to for the sake of their privacy because of what happened to them after the fact (but they are also absolutely lovely and I wanna talk with them again): they said they received pushback from the Discord for even daring to suggest that treating me, Sophia, and Alice with a modicum of basic human dignity for walking up in there and trying to work things out was unthinkable, and that in reality we deserved everything coming to us.

Imagine how shitty I felt for this person, someone who wanted to help mend relations, who was actually excited about some of the stuff I was able to talk about, someone who wasn't even around for the whole Ketkat thing, being told that their concern about some members' behavior was inappropriate simply because we are staffers and thus we are the enemy. Imagine how shitty I felt hearing that, cementing my original belief that- yes- I had walked right into a trap beget by a few assholes hijacking an important moment against my own better judgement.

Alas, here we are, once again, where unaddressed anger and dumb, unforced errors on part of staff have resulted in yet another one of these blow ups. Yes, the ban on Sibylus was wrong in the way it was conducted, and no amount of staff frustration can make that one okay. So I apologize; the ticket was sent in and we’ve reduced the ban and updated the banner to be more accurate and professional. And again, I know none of this is what anyone wants to hear (but I'm not in a placating mood anyway), and yet people want to know, especially in the wake of what was done to Sibylus and A.By’s PM, is how can Trans Era trust staff? Indeed, Papa said some backhanded bullshit during the meeting like "is there anyone on staff who can properly represent their community?"

So, you want to talk about minority communities and how they're represented? Let's talk about them! Specifically Black ERA! My friends, nay- my family. Y'all ain't put them in your mouths a lot during this entire time. Because you know you can't (or you've forgotten our existence. Not the first time you've excluded us).

Black ERA exists in a space that is just as hostile to them as it is for Trans ERA. They put up with cracka-ass nonsense constantly, a lot of which is from folks who also happen to be LGBT. They have dealt with a staff that has overlooked their concerns and has been ignorant to the issues, philosophies, and culture surrounding blackness and all various black cultures. They too had a meeting, the first one on the forums proper. While staff in general were involved, me and Mist took the reins. We ran back and forth between both parties to organize how the meeting was to be conducted, took feedback, arranged solutions on the fly, all in an effort to let them speak. And speak they did.

Changes happened within reason. AAVE language bans largely stopped. Bans for anti-black racism and pro-cop sentiments were largely helmed by black staff and given the proper punishments they deserved, and in general we started treating that more seriously overall. A lot of bullshit “hostility” reports being directed to black members were batted away. And we have allowed more leeway to black members to go in on stupid, white-ass shit. Has it solved literally everything regarding the culture of Era? Is Era a haven where black members can exist freely without any worry of facing any anti-black sentiments? Well, no; just look at the last few pages of this thread. Overall, Era still is a space dominated by whiteness, which is inevitable by sheer demographic force and is something we cannot change unless we start banning white folks en masse (and everyone understands this won’t happen). There are still some bans that Black Era and the BCC Discord have problems with to this day. I actually got into a protracted slapfight about one ban that I personally enacted, and they are free to tell it themselves in here if they want to however they want to tell it.

But what cannot be said is that I did not try, that Mist and the rest of staff did not try. It cannot be said that we don’t care. It cannot be said that I was incompetent. It cannot be said that I go to bat for them just for the woke points. I cannot be said that they don’t have full trust in me as a black staffer to handle the forum to the best of my ability. And that is what is missing-- trust, and the understanding that there is only so much that individual staffers can do and change on a whim not just because of the forum structure, but because of the people who inhabit it, trust and understanding that our hearts are in the right place even if we cannot push as far as we want to go or achieve every single point on a bullet list that some members want, trust and understanding that if we can’t deliver on something, or even if we get it wrong, it’s not because we hate Black Era because they’re black. They understand that this is a working relationship regarding an imperfect hand being dealt, and that we service them with the intent to make a better space for them to the best of our abilities, inch by inch, day by day.

So I will stand here and declare with pride and confidence that I have done right by Black Era members, and that I have taken these same exact methods and attitudes with me to other communities, including Trans Era. But the fact remains that my efforts just aren't reciprocated in kind.

You want to talk about how minorities here are chased away by staff? Well, where the fuck is the thought for Black Era members when you all use anti-police and black power rhetoric in an effort to foolishly demonstrate your contempt for staff? Where the fuck is your thought for Black Era when you start talking about MLK? Where the fuck is your thought for Black Era when you are NOWHERE to be found defending them when political armchair analysts shit on black people for being low-information voters, homophobes, or saboteurs of elections because they don’t want to vote for candidates that are pro-police? Where the fuck is your thought for Black Era when you co-opt our pain, our issues, our realities, solely for scoring points in some nonsnse internet drama? You want to know one of the reasons why a lot of Black Era doesn’t really engage with you all at this point in time with the exception of a few threads and their community thread? Look in a fucking mirror. Papa did that shit in the meeting too, and again I’m mad they’re permed because I can’t say this to their face. I’m paraphrasing, but this is what she said:

“Imagine being black or Asian and coming to the conclusion that staff just outright hate you for being a minority.”

This right here? Look at it. This is pure, unadulterated crackery. The whitest whitery that ever did white. This is Super Saiyan Blue Karen. It is some of the most uncolored bullshit I could have encountered in a meeting that had absolutely nothing to do with people of color in the first place!

So shame on those of you responsible for the shit you have been pulling, and the shit you pulled the last time during the Asian Era blow-up (Yeah, don’t think I forgot that purple Punisher logo), and every other time we’ve come to this point. I’m sure you’ve been seeing perms for the equation of anything that goes on on ERA to the reality of being black in America. Hello. That was my doing, and I don’t regret it. I don’t care what mistakes we have made, and I don’t even care what bigoted bullshit game companies have put out at this point. You are not George Floyd. You are not Breonna Taylor. You are not any of the myriad of black victims (many of which are trans) who have been legitimately lost to the spectre of white supremacy.

And again, this isn’t the first time this has happened- I’ve seen y’all try to gaslight about that and act like this is new. It ain’t new. What’s new is that this is the first time that I and Black Era are actually checking your asses in public. If you want this to be a forum that takes into account ACTUAL intersectionality, that is a safe space for ALL minorities, not just the groups you and your friends happen to belong to, do your due diligence to your black brothers and sisters and keep our names and our issues out your fucking mouths over forum bullshit. Or else you can get kicked off too.

This is another reason I’m fed up to the moon, and I will declare publicly that my staff team, particularly the ones of you who warned us for literally months that we would be strung up by some of these bad faith actors and trolls who always hijack these conversations, you were right. You were bang on right. And I’m sorry for not heeding the warnings. The sheer disingenuousness that runs concurrent through these conversations, and the inability for staff to check things like this because trying to do so and reroute things back to a course of productivity and understanding is picked apart with the most bad-faith readings imaginable and dismissed as tone-policing and ignoring the issues, even when it comes at the cost of stepping on other minorities in the process.

To say nothing of the fact that this behavior, as noted, runs rampant in the various community Discords too before it’s pushed back onto the forums writ large. A lot of feelings of anger, resentment, and dissatisfaction are had in places where we’re not present, or at the very least where we’re not staff. And it’s not like I don’t get it. Shit-talking and venting is gonna happen off-site. I’ve done it, you’ve done it. We’ve all done it. But it gets out of hand and makes it even harder for us to discern what is and isn’t good faith engagement when it gets self-perpetuating and unchallenged, and thus becomes part of the Discords’ culture, where even trans individuals can’t tell others to cool it a little bit without getting jumped on for "defending us." It gets perilous when you’ve got members from Era hopping on to Discords to stir up shit and then coming back here smiling in our face about the next blow-up that’s undoubtedly coming.

I’m not the only one this happens to. Every other staff member has at least several stories about some Discord or another opining that we’re legitimately out to get people, which only makes it that much harder to even engage in the chatting and discussions you supposedly want us to be involved in on site. People say they want us to be more active in threads. Who would want to do that when it’s clear a lot of folks just don’t like us as people? Like, why would I want to hang with someone who is not even intent on trying to coexist with me? I wouldn’t. Hell, you want to know why it’s easier for people to leave staff than it is for people to come aboard, even if we took out the interview process entirely? Because a lot of the people who turn us down just don’t want to deal with it. They see these threads, they see the attacks, they’re in the Discords reading what is posted, and they think “you must think I’m crazy to do this shit.”

Ultimately the fact that I have been afraid to even confront this at all because I thought I would be risking irrevocable damage to myself and the site, no matter the cost to my self-esteem and mental health, is indicative of just how much I was taken for a fool, and to everyone who does come into these threads and discussions with good faith and intentions, and to my Black Era family, I am sorry for denigrating myself like that for, again, well over a year. But it’s as I said in the Asian Era fallout, and it’s as I said with the Discord meeting, I’m done caring about platitudes and sucking up. I’m done caring about feelings, because most of y’all don’t give a fuck about mine anyway. I want ideas and results. I'm still prepared to work. So while you pick apart my post and tell me to go fuck myself, here’s what I plan to try and accomplish in the days and weeks going forward:

In the Asian Era meeting, a lot of discussion was had about the desire to actually ban people less for prejudices that could reasonably stem from ignorance rather than outright hatred, and that they wanted the chance to actually educate people on their particular issues and culture before we simply concluded they didn’t belong and tossed them out. I put in the idea of having an area of the forum, like a page, that is a huge compendium of resources related to minority issues, something that members can use as a tool of learning and a guide for engagement. It would include links to books, articles, videos, and other resources for better understanding issues that affect minorities, and it could be an on-going document that everyone contributes to. Not only do I think it’s a great idea in general to have this, but it will also hopefully cut down on disingenuous JAQing off in threads themselves, where minorities have to answer basic-ass shit that someone could’ve just read up on before they decided to engage a thread. I got a few PMs and some forum bookmarks that I want to use to start, but it’s going to need some work and research.

And to TransEra, you still are owed an explanation about what we’re going to do going forward regarding how we handle games like Cyberpunk. I don’t know if it’s been said before, but what we will do is directly oversee the OTs for such games and directly jump in to mitigate any ridiculous hype that is occurring at the cost of inclusion of minorities’ participation in such threads. So quicker and stricter bans for dismissiveness, for #oppressedgamer talk, and any of that nonsense will happen, as well as more thread consolidations. Hogwarts is coming up and it's our chance to head this situation off at the pass. Just as well, JK Rowling has been a subject of contention. Staff have been talking about whether or not to mitigate, if not outright ban Harry Potter talk for months now, which was actually a pleasant surprise to some of the Discord meeting participants. I want staff to get together as soon as possible and make a definitive ruling on how we are to deal with the franchise’s presence on this forum, and announce it to you all.

The last thing in general is regarding staff accountability, which is another thing that came up in the Discord meeting. Hecht has been spearheading these efforts already, but in short, what I want to do is solidify new rules for engagement in contentious threads on part of staff, protocol for when shit hits the fan because of their words and behavior, review protocols to undertake to establish where things went wrong, and measures of punishment for when a staffer continues to fuck up or goes past the pale, including immediate dismissals if it gets to that point in the future. I want these done ASAP and shared with you all as well, so you can know for certain that we are not above being beholden to stricter standards.

So that’s what I wanna do. Fuck all the bullshit. Fuck all the charges. At this point, it isn’t helping. What will help is me getting to work and implementing these things, so I’m going to work. You’re free to suggest things to help with that, and I’ll bring them back to staff. You’re also free to keep calling us incompetent and bigots. Again, I don’t care, but I’m not listening and internalizing that shit anymore.

At this point in Era’s lifespan, my tenure is the most uncertain it’s ever been. I’ve given all I’ve got, and my efforts, my beliefs, my intents, are not reciprocated in kind by way too many people to make it worth it. The three things above are what I want to absolutely finish before I think about walking away. I think I owe you all at least that. Don’t consider this a formal resignation though, because things can always change. If Era gets to a point where I am not obligated to take a bunch of mental anguish everytime something goes wrong, where I am not obligated to sit and allow people to talk to me like I’m any ol’ worthless nigga in the street, then sure, I’ll stay aboard. If that cannot happen, if staff are not going to be respected for the Herculean effort of trying to create the kind of large-scale online space that, as far as I know, does not and never has existed, if staff are going to continue to receive shit until they just burn out and shut down while being told they don’t deserve better just as human beings, then I’m gone. I’ve fucking had enough.

To everyone throughout my tenure who has reached out to any of staff, who has said they appreciate our efforts, who has come up to talk to us because they trusted that we genuinely want to make Era something special, and who have engaged in these threads in good faith, thank you. To those who are just here to have a go at staff, who think that the gall to volunteer our time for this place means it is open season on us, to those who think that we are your punching bags?

Pound sand.

Alright, so this is probably going to be my only post in the thread. It's not gonna be any PR speak, nor is it going to assuage anyone's feelings, staff or members. Y'all are going to be mad, but that's the secret at this point. It’ll be a recap of things, but most of it is going to be about the toll this has taken on me. No, I don't give a shit if you think this is inappropriately rerouting the conversation; I'm burnt out and subsequently apathetic. I've been holding on to a lot of this for over a year, and I'm going to get it off my chest now before I discuss what I want to do for ResetEra moving forward. However you take it is on you. This thread will also be locked so you can't skip over it, and it will be reopened in 10 minutes, approximately 9:40 PM EST.

Let's start with Black Chamber. I don't want to relitigate too much, but yeah, that was a fuck-up, and I apologize. Even if he wasn't a MAGA asshat, his inability to consider the feelings of trans members meant he should've lost right to the OT immediately at the bare minimum. I believe part of the unstated goal of ResetEra is that members take an ethical approach to expressing video game fandom, by which I largely mean not stepping on the toes of minorities who get the short end of the stick in a medium that is largely still a conservative, white-ass cesspool of juvenility. BC didn't do that, so fuck him. And Cyberpunk, that trash-ass game.

After that, Sophia decided on her own to enter talks with Trans Era members. That was fair, and I know she was in Discords with and friends with members who were hurt by what happened. At this point, I wasn't asked to be involved, and frankly I wasn't going to be initially. I'm still exhausted from the Asian Era meeting (more on that at the end), and I didn't feel like picking up something like that at the moment. But from what I understood, the meeting was going to be about Black Chamber and Cyberpunk, how to handle contentious OTs, the issues with egregious fan hype- shit that had to do with the immediate issue that had happened to Trans Era.

Again. I am not part of the Trans Era Discord. I was never included or mentioned as wanting to participate in anything Sophia was organizing at that time. Ket had fuck all to do with the Cyberpunk issue since she was banned. So why, oh why, is anyone relitigating this bullshit to me, specifically, at this moment in time?

I didn't respond to it. Instead I let staff know about it, at which point another staffer admitted they'd been strung up about Ketkat on Discord. I called it what it was- a set up- and actually told us to disengage, that the talks were not going to be productive, and that it was going to blow up some way or another. There was a lot of back and forth about it, to which again I want to apologize to Sophia about, who took this endeavor on entirely by herself in an effort to fix things. Everything that has gone down is an absolute insult to her and her efforts, and I know my reluctance was another wrench in the works.

I also want to make it clear that I didn't say this with the attempt to paint every single trans person who is an Era member, or even the overwhelming majority of trans members, as problematic. Minorities as a whole are NOT the problem. The majority of us here all want the same goals at the end of the day, which is for ResetEra to be a place where minorities can comfortably discuss gaming from their unique points of view without the bullshit they face everywhere else on the Internet. Kyuuji, for example, has been an amazing force for getting these issues pushed to the forefront of the wider forum at large. But the unstated fact here is that a lot of the issues regarding the forum culture and the nature of our moderation are inexplicably tied into toxicity and long-held grudges, and some individuals will use genuine efforts to better the site as opportunities to harass staff, a lot of them not even being part of the aggrieved groups in question.

I also want to further preface this by saying that it is likely my belief that the meeting was about the Cyberpunk incident, when instead it was about previous grievances, was nothing more than the result of miscommunication. I wasn't there with Sophia for the majority of the planning, so I don't know anything that was discussed. But again, from my perspective, I'm getting pulled into some irrelevant shit for a discussion that I never actually volunteered for. So yeah, it smelled funny to me and thus I thought the talks were a bad idea.

But they went forward anyway, even with Sophia- whose mental health had already taken a downturn due to prior stress- pulling out because the rules for engagement that were apparently established beforehand weren't respected by a few individuals in the Discord, and made her personal situation worse. From the gist of the participants, things weren't going too well. I think that, in general, people have appreciated my presence in these matters before and that I have somewhat of a knack for community engagement, so against my better judgement, against everything, and everyone- actual friends of mine- screaming at me not to do it, it is at that point when the meeting was already underway that I finally told them to give me an invite to see if I could help.

The beginning actually went pretty well! Ignoring sudden deluges of questions and the inconvenient timer, A.by, Banshee McSpook, Robin, and others were asking me questions, I would answer them to the best of my ability, and they would understand, regardless of whether or not the answers were what they wanted to hear. There were even a few laughs to be had. For a moment it was a genuine roundtable, and I was hopeful, especially since it was going to give me an opportunity to discuss things that staff had been talking about regarding long-term solutions. I will also admit that again my overall lack of participation in the planning phases meant that some of my answers and understanding of the purpose of the meeting meant I was inaccurate or ignorant to some of the things that were brought up, and a few members felt I had just been tossed in there (and I want to again appreciate the concern, but again I willingly volunteered last minute to talk.)

I was eventually faced with a Google Doc of demands/bullet points, and Ketkat jumped in around this time. As I had figured out before then, this really wasn't about the latest kerfuffle. Not fully. It was partially about Ket; indeed the first three points of the list revolved around her to various degrees. After some beating around the bush, I told her straight to her face that she wasn't coming back and that any demands folks had regarding her were totally non-negotiable.

That's when and why things blew up. We didn’t get to the rest of the list or any other questions various folks may have had. I faced a mix of angry venting, the dismissal of my identity (I'm NB), deliberately bad-faith readings of my posts, and petty snipes, particularly from Papa Santanas, who is also permed and thus I don't have the pleasure of fucking bodying them personally for engaging in an overstepping of bounds that I will talk about at length later on. Now note, the anger from various folks didn't personally bother me; I understand, especially because I know real life 2020 shit is compounding on top of the problems people have with staff and the forum, and thus I don't mind if people need to vent.

However, Ket also tried to paint me as a liar for my participation in the debacle back in November 2019 on top of this, which is fucking ironic because I am one of the few reasons she even got a third (not even a second) chance in the first place. Let it be known- without me jumping in that day, and without me having it out with staff about how things went down, Ket would've still been gone the first time. So any problem she, or anyone else who is in her circle, has with me on that front, you can miss me with that. I don’t give a fuck.

Regardless, once things settled, I was disingenuously asked by Ket if I had anything to say to everything that I had been privy to, all of the venting and rage and sarcasm, as if there is some magical response anyone can craft in the face of tens of posts of stream-of-consciousness to make it all better. And I will reiterate the same sentiment to you all.

No.

I don't.

Because while I can jump into threads and mediate, and answer questions, and engage with ideas, and take things back to staff, and field PMs, and remind my team of outstanding issues and tickets and things of that nature, and further codify new lessons in the rules and staff policies, I can't eliminate the hurt, the grudges, the feelings of betrayal, and the resulting toxicity coming from all corners of this blasted website whenever shit goes down, a lot of which is from people's personal lives or involves fights I was never privy to, and it was wrong for me to try to involve myself. I'm not a fucking Magical Negro and I'm tired of trying to play one at the expense of my mental health when, ultimately, none of this shit matters.

Because again, all of this? It's not REALLY about Cyberpunk. It's not even really about a few dumb bans and Poodle's dismissive "pound sand" remark to A.by (which shouldn't have been done and was uncalled for, no matter how he feels about it). We ALL need to be honest about that. It's about people being angry, and people not liking each other, and people unhappy with the community demographics and how those demographics inform the atmosphere, and about how personally betrayed people feel when their friends get banned, which staff can’t actually do anything about. And if it's all really about that, then individuals need to ask themselves if Era, even at its best, can give them the online community they desire. Because if nothing else, if Era cannot be a safe space, if staff- if I, Nepenthe- have failed that fucking badly, then it's not fair to any minorities to stay in a hostile environment, and for those people, I will not tell them to stay. It is selfish to beg people to put up with shit they don't have to put up with for the veneer of harmony. I don't even do that with some of my Discord friends who don't post on Era anymore, so why would I do that to others?

(Note: This is ACTUALLY what people are referring to when they discuss the "admin who told them to fuck off." Notice how fucking weasely that characterization is? I never once told anyone to fuck off.)

So afterwards I talked a little more with A.by, specifically about how her ticket was dismissed and about receiving an apology from the staffers who signed off on it. I told her that was perfectly fair because it was unprofessional, and would take it up with relevant staff to get apologies underway. That's where things ended.

Actually, no it's not, because I got pinged hours later- literally around TEN HOURS- by Hexe regarding the above, who said something to the effect of "customer service speak strikes again!" At that point, I had had it. I had fucking had it. I made a crack about Hexe not having the spine to say some shit like that to me on the day of my birthday, reiterated my stance, thanked TransEra for allowing me to talk with them, and requested politely not be pinged again. Hexe then said something to the effect of "you have to understand that we are just angry, and the fact that you're receiving angry responses is not your fault."

Then don't fucking act like it's my fault. Don't insult me. Don't get your lick in hours later and fall back on how you feel or any perceived slights you have that have nothing to do with me, as if merely being upset allows you the moral high ground to treat anyone any kind of way. I won't mince words- this is simply justifying verbal abuse, no two ways about it. And this shit happens all the time to staff, and any members who can see the verbal abuse and the justifications for what it is and who then get caught in the crossfire. At that point, Robin ended it. Some time later on, me and Alice were forcibly kicked.

And you know how I'm fucking right about all of this? You know how I have ground to say this despite being a staffer who should "shut up and listen" and not "tone police?" You know how some of this behavior is NOT okay? I woke up that next morning to a whole-ass three apologies from participants, two of whom were Robin and A.by! A.by apologized for how angry she got (which, again, I say to her that anger is okay. Venting is okay, healthy even! Everything she said to me personally was fair game and I will stick by that) and Robin was dismayed about how the talks were unproductive and ultimately nasty because of those few rabblerousers.

(Robin, btw, PM'd me during the original Trans Week debacle to check up on me. She is legit a good person and is invited permanently to my cookouts.)

The other apology, I will not name unless the person wants me to for the sake of their privacy because of what happened to them after the fact (but they are also absolutely lovely and I wanna talk with them again): they said they received pushback from the Discord for even daring to suggest that treating me, Sophia, and Alice with a modicum of basic human dignity for walking up in there and trying to work things out was unthinkable, and that in reality we deserved everything coming to us.

Imagine how shitty I felt for this person, someone who wanted to help mend relations, who was actually excited about some of the stuff I was able to talk about, someone who wasn't even around for the whole Ketkat thing, being told that their concern about some members' behavior was inappropriate simply because we are staffers and thus we are the enemy. Imagine how shitty I felt hearing that, cementing my original belief that- yes- I had walked right into a trap beget by a few assholes hijacking an important moment against my own better judgement.

Alas, here we are, once again, where unaddressed anger and dumb, unforced errors on part of staff have resulted in yet another one of these blow ups. Yes, the ban on Sibylus was wrong in the way it was conducted, and no amount of staff frustration can make that one okay. So I apologize; the ticket was sent in and we’ve reduced the ban and updated the banner to be more accurate and professional. And again, I know none of this is what anyone wants to hear (but I'm not in a placating mood anyway), and yet people want to know, especially in the wake of what was done to Sibylus and A.By’s PM, is how can Trans Era trust staff? Indeed, Papa said some backhanded bullshit during the meeting like "is there anyone on staff who can properly represent their community?"

So, you want to talk about minority communities and how they're represented? Let's talk about them! Specifically Black ERA! My friends, nay- my family. Y'all ain't put them in your mouths a lot during this entire time. Because you know you can't (or you've forgotten our existence. Not the first time you've excluded us).

Black ERA exists in a space that is just as hostile to them as it is for Trans ERA. They put up with cracka-ass nonsense constantly, a lot of which is from folks who also happen to be LGBT. They have dealt with a staff that has overlooked their concerns and has been ignorant to the issues, philosophies, and culture surrounding blackness and all various black cultures. They too had a meeting, the first one on the forums proper. While staff in general were involved, me and Mist took the reins. We ran back and forth between both parties to organize how the meeting was to be conducted, took feedback, arranged solutions on the fly, all in an effort to let them speak. And speak they did.

Changes happened within reason. AAVE language bans largely stopped. Bans for anti-black racism and pro-cop sentiments were largely helmed by black staff and given the proper punishments they deserved, and in general we started treating that more seriously overall. A lot of bullshit “hostility” reports being directed to black members were batted away. And we have allowed more leeway to black members to go in on stupid, white-ass shit. Has it solved literally everything regarding the culture of Era? Is Era a haven where black members can exist freely without any worry of facing any anti-black sentiments? Well, no; just look at the last few pages of this thread. Overall, Era still is a space dominated by whiteness, which is inevitable by sheer demographic force and is something we cannot change unless we start banning white folks en masse (and everyone understands this won’t happen). There are still some bans that Black Era and the BCC Discord have problems with to this day. I actually got into a protracted slapfight about one ban that I personally enacted, and they are free to tell it themselves in here if they want to however they want to tell it.

But what cannot be said is that I did not try, that Mist and the rest of staff did not try. It cannot be said that we don’t care. It cannot be said that I was incompetent. It cannot be said that I go to bat for them just for the woke points. I cannot be said that they don’t have full trust in me as a black staffer to handle the forum to the best of my ability. And that is what is missing-- trust, and the understanding that there is only so much that individual staffers can do and change on a whim not just because of the forum structure, but because of the people who inhabit it, trust and understanding that our hearts are in the right place even if we cannot push as far as we want to go or achieve every single point on a bullet list that some members want, trust and understanding that if we can’t deliver on something, or even if we get it wrong, it’s not because we hate Black Era because they’re black. They understand that this is a working relationship regarding an imperfect hand being dealt, and that we service them with the intent to make a better space for them to the best of our abilities, inch by inch, day by day.

So I will stand here and declare with pride and confidence that I have done right by Black Era members, and that I have taken these same exact methods and attitudes with me to other communities, including Trans Era. But the fact remains that my efforts just aren't reciprocated in kind.

You want to talk about how minorities here are chased away by staff? Well, where the fuck is the thought for Black Era members when you all use anti-police and black power rhetoric in an effort to foolishly demonstrate your contempt for staff? Where the fuck is your thought for Black Era when you start talking about MLK? Where the fuck is your thought for Black Era when you are NOWHERE to be found defending them when political armchair analysts shit on black people for being low-information voters, homophobes, or saboteurs of elections because they don’t want to vote for candidates that are pro-police? Where the fuck is your thought for Black Era when you co-opt our pain, our issues, our realities, solely for scoring points in some nonsnse internet drama? You want to know one of the reasons why a lot of Black Era doesn’t really engage with you all at this point in time with the exception of a few threads and their community thread? Look in a fucking mirror. Papa did that shit in the meeting too, and again I’m mad they’re permed because I can’t say this to their face. I’m paraphrasing, but this is what she said:

“Imagine being black or Asian and coming to the conclusion that staff just outright hate you for being a minority.”

This right here? Look at it. This is pure, unadulterated crackery. The whitest whitery that ever did white. This is Super Saiyan Blue Karen. It is some of the most uncolored bullshit I could have encountered in a meeting that had absolutely nothing to do with people of color in the first place!

So shame on those of you responsible for the shit you have been pulling, and the shit you pulled the last time during the Asian Era blow-up (Yeah, don’t think I forgot that purple Punisher logo), and every other time we’ve come to this point. I’m sure you’ve been seeing perms for the equation of anything that goes on on ERA to the reality of being black in America. Hello. That was my doing, and I don’t regret it. I don’t care what mistakes we have made, and I don’t even care what bigoted bullshit game companies have put out at this point. You are not George Floyd. You are not Breonna Taylor. You are not any of the myriad of black victims (many of which are trans) who have been legitimately lost to the spectre of white supremacy.

And again, this isn’t the first time this has happened- I’ve seen y’all try to gaslight about that and act like this is new. It ain’t new. What’s new is that this is the first time that I and Black Era are actually checking your asses in public. If you want this to be a forum that takes into account ACTUAL intersectionality, that is a safe space for ALL minorities, not just the groups you and your friends happen to belong to, do your due diligence to your black brothers and sisters and keep our names and our issues out your fucking mouths over forum bullshit. Or else you can get kicked off too.

This is another reason I’m fed up to the moon, and I will declare publicly that my staff team, particularly the ones of you who warned us for literally months that we would be strung up by some of these bad faith actors and trolls who always hijack these conversations, you were right. You were bang on right. And I’m sorry for not heeding the warnings. The sheer disingenuousness that runs concurrent through these conversations, and the inability for staff to check things like this because trying to do so and reroute things back to a course of productivity and understanding is picked apart with the most bad-faith readings imaginable and dismissed as tone-policing and ignoring the issues, even when it comes at the cost of stepping on other minorities in the process.

To say nothing of the fact that this behavior, as noted, runs rampant in the various community Discords too before it’s pushed back onto the forums writ large. A lot of feelings of anger, resentment, and dissatisfaction are had in places where we’re not present, or at the very least where we’re not staff. And it’s not like I don’t get it. Shit-talking and venting is gonna happen off-site. I’ve done it, you’ve done it. We’ve all done it. But it gets out of hand and makes it even harder for us to discern what is and isn’t good faith engagement when it gets self-perpetuating and unchallenged, and thus becomes part of the Discords’ culture, where even trans individuals can’t tell others to cool it a little bit without getting jumped on for "defending us." It gets perilous when you’ve got members from Era hopping on to Discords to stir up shit and then coming back here smiling in our face about the next blow-up that’s undoubtedly coming.

I’m not the only one this happens to. Every other staff member has at least several stories about some Discord or another opining that we’re legitimately out to get people, which only makes it that much harder to even engage in the chatting and discussions you supposedly want us to be involved in on site. People say they want us to be more active in threads. Who would want to do that when it’s clear a lot of folks just don’t like us as people? Like, why would I want to hang with someone who is not even intent on trying to coexist with me? I wouldn’t. Hell, you want to know why it’s easier for people to leave staff than it is for people to come aboard, even if we took out the interview process entirely? Because a lot of the people who turn us down just don’t want to deal with it. They see these threads, they see the attacks, they’re in the Discords reading what is posted, and they think “you must think I’m crazy to do this shit.”

Ultimately the fact that I have been afraid to even confront this at all because I thought I would be risking irrevocable damage to myself and the site, no matter the cost to my self-esteem and mental health, is indicative of just how much I was taken for a fool, and to everyone who does come into these threads and discussions with good faith and intentions, and to my Black Era family, I am sorry for denigrating myself like that for, again, well over a year. But it’s as I said in the Asian Era fallout, and it’s as I said with the Discord meeting, I’m done caring about platitudes and sucking up. I’m done caring about feelings, because most of y’all don’t give a fuck about mine anyway. I want ideas and results. I'm still prepared to work. So while you pick apart my post and tell me to go fuck myself, here’s what I plan to try and accomplish in the days and weeks going forward:

In the Asian Era meeting, a lot of discussion was had about the desire to actually ban people less for prejudices that could reasonably stem from ignorance rather than outright hatred, and that they wanted the chance to actually educate people on their particular issues and culture before we simply concluded they didn’t belong and tossed them out. I put in the idea of having an area of the forum, like a page, that is a huge compendium of resources related to minority issues, something that members can use as a tool of learning and a guide for engagement. It would include links to books, articles, videos, and other resources for better understanding issues that affect minorities, and it could be an on-going document that everyone contributes to. Not only do I think it’s a great idea in general to have this, but it will also hopefully cut down on disingenuous JAQing off in threads themselves, where minorities have to answer basic-ass shit that someone could’ve just read up on before they decided to engage a thread. I got a few PMs and some forum bookmarks that I want to use to start, but it’s going to need some work and research.

And to TransEra, you still are owed an explanation about what we’re going to do going forward regarding how we handle games like Cyberpunk. I don’t know if it’s been said before, but what we will do is directly oversee the OTs for such games and directly jump in to mitigate any ridiculous hype that is occurring at the cost of inclusion of minorities’ participation in such threads. So quicker and stricter bans for dismissiveness, for #oppressedgamer talk, and any of that nonsense will happen, as well as more thread consolidations. Hogwarts is coming up and it's our chance to head this situation off at the pass. Just as well, JK Rowling has been a subject of contention. Staff have been talking about whether or not to mitigate, if not outright ban Harry Potter talk for months now, which was actually a pleasant surprise to some of the Discord meeting participants. I want staff to get together as soon as possible and make a definitive ruling on how we are to deal with the franchise’s presence on this forum, and announce it to you all.

The last thing in general is regarding staff accountability, which is another thing that came up in the Discord meeting. Hecht has been spearheading these efforts already, but in short, what I want to do is solidify new rules for engagement in contentious threads on part of staff, protocol for when shit hits the fan because of their words and behavior, review protocols to undertake to establish where things went wrong, and measures of punishment for when a staffer continues to fuck up or goes past the pale, including immediate dismissals if it gets to that point in the future. I want these done ASAP and shared with you all as well, so you can know for certain that we are not above being beholden to stricter standards.

So that’s what I wanna do. Fuck all the bullshit. Fuck all the charges. At this point, it isn’t helping. What will help is me getting to work and implementing these things, so I’m going to work. You’re free to suggest things to help with that, and I’ll bring them back to staff. You’re also free to keep calling us incompetent and bigots. Again, I don’t care, but I’m not listening and internalizing that shit anymore.

At this point in Era’s lifespan, my tenure is the most uncertain it’s ever been. I’ve given all I’ve got, and my efforts, my beliefs, my intents, are not reciprocated in kind by way too many people to make it worth it. The three things above are what I want to absolutely finish before I think about walking away. I think I owe you all at least that. Don’t consider this a formal resignation though, because things can always change. If Era gets to a point where I am not obligated to take a bunch of mental anguish everytime something goes wrong, where I am not obligated to sit and allow people to talk to me like I’m any ol’ worthless nigga in the street, then sure, I’ll stay aboard. If that cannot happen, if staff are not going to be respected for the Herculean effort of trying to create the kind of large-scale online space that, as far as I know, does not and never has existed, if staff are going to continue to receive shit until they just burn out and shut down while being told they don’t deserve better just as human beings, then I’m gone. I’ve fucking had enough.

To everyone throughout my tenure who has reached out to any of staff, who has said they appreciate our efforts, who has come up to talk to us because they trusted that we genuinely want to make Era something special, and who have engaged in these threads in good faith, thank you. To those who are just here to have a go at staff, who think that the gall to volunteer our time for this place means it is open season on us, to those who think that we are your punching bags?

Pound sand.

no please

make it stop

please

cormack12

Gold Member

Pound sand.

HnML5s6.gif

Last edited:

Kayhan

ShironRedShift can't stand to see Nepenthe and Hexe get all the attention so here is his long form screed in response:

"Okay, I'll be honest about my feelings. This might come off as harsh, because really, I have no idea how in the world to say it without it sounding that way, despite not meaning to:

But Nephenthe's post, while truly wonderful and heartfelt and it's easily to tell is genuine and so chocked full of so many emotions which are incredibly valid...

That's all 100% true and valid.

But at the same time, like how to put this? This is the where it's hard to say it without being insensitive part comes in, despite absolutely not meaning to.

It's odd to see so many people rush to give sympathies and concerns to Nepenthe's posts, even when they're absolutely valid and deserved, when so many concerns from so many others were outright dismissed if not banned by the staff (which I know Nepenthe in particular has nothing to do with in most of these cases and don't mean to imply otherwise), to see such an outpouring of emotion and sympathy for that post and those feelings when so many others got and continue to get little to none (though I suppose that isn't terribly surprising since many who would do that are either banned, threadbanned, or just too terrified to post in fear of one or the other happening to them at this point, so it's only natural things would be rather lopsided at this point, with the way things have gone and where we're currently at, even if that's just a completely unintentional after-effect, but still)...

I dunno, if it's a feeling of being wronged, or just jealousy and pettiness (which I'm fully willing to admit is almost certainly part of it, at least in my case, and I fully realize that and how ridiculous and completely insensitive that is even, but I can't help how I feel, as weird as it is to be "jealous" of such things, it's just feels like more attention is being paid towards some people being hurt than others, and I'm sure part of the problem in fact is that we all feel that way, and just disagree over who gets more attention or why, and that itself is part of the problem itself, focusing on such things instead of just addressing the hurt itself and what can be done about it), or some combination, but despite their being ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH IT ON THE SURFACE, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, it still FEELS wrong for those kinda reasons.

Like, I know that might make ABSOLUTELY no sense whatsoever, especially since that post was so clearly so heartfelt and full of emotion, but that's precisely the thing...

So many people have been doing the same thing, have been pouring their hearts out as well, and to see that utterly dismissed and the whole entire tone change as soon as Nepenthe posted... While her feelings might absolutely be genuine and valid and she's not saying anything wrong or anything, it still feels wrong, because while that may have in no way been her intention, far from it in fact, the entire discussion has shifted despite absolutely no problems being solved, whatsoever, or anything really changing.

And that itself is worrying to me.

Because it's just because giving their sympathies to a perfectly sympathetic situation, and there's nothing wrong with that. Far, far from it. It's the most natural thing in the world, in fact.

But at the same time, nothing is actually SOLVED by doing that either. Not that post is really meant to solve anything, and is fully honest about that. But still, we're still exactly where we were, just expressing sympathy to Nepenthe while all the same problems and issues still remain, completely unaddressed, just buried under the wave of sympathies.

Like, I know it's not really a fair comparison to Nepenthe's post, but I'm still nonetheless reminded of this post from earlier in the thread that kinda got lost in the shuffle:

Like, I don't want to say that Nepenthe was doing the same thing as Wonderment, because she certainly wasn't, definitely not intentionally anyway.

And I know she was only speaking for herself.

But nonetheless, how do I put this... There can be an army of posts from various communities, but as soon as there is one staff post full of emotion, even when there are countless posts full of emotion from various communities, seeing people huddle around the staff post...

I duno how to put it, but it feels bad.

Not because Nepenthe's feelings aren't genuine.

Not because there even should be sides in this to begin with.

But just seeing how the discussion completely shifted like after that, even if that was in no way her intention, that people rush to give sympathies, even if they are indeed well deserved, just the flow of the discussion and all the problems that were being addressed and still needing to be addressed feeling like they're being swept away just like that, even if that was in no way the intention, still seeing it happening and realizing indeed that even COMPLETELY UNINTENTIONAL, that just people pouring our their legitimate heartfelt emotions like that can have such an effect on the way things go...

It just gives me even less hope, to be honest.

Because everything Nepenthe saying may be true and may be from the heart and is perfectly valid.

But where does it leave us?

What does it change?

Not that the point of such posts are to change things per se anyway, but...

I duno.

The whole thing, the whole state of the thread after that, it just confirms to meet that this is doomed to repeat.

That I myself have tried my best, to no avail.

And I'm just done (NOTE: THIS IS NOT A CALL FOR WANTING TO BE BANNED. I DON'T MEAN DONE IN THAT WAY.).

I'm just completely done.

I've given into the learned helplessness.

Nepenthe's feelings are perfectly valid, there's nothing wrong with them in any way.

But nonetheless her posting that and the reaction to that and how the thread has quickly shifted since....

It confirms to me that change is futile here.

So I give up.

I've tried so much, everything I can think of to get through.

But clearly none of it matters, and indeed, staff vs member divisions will remain, and we'll just keep going in circles, pouring out emotions until a combination of people get banned, others leave, others are too scared to speak up, until some other incident happens, where again there are various outpouring of emotions, various people are banned, various others leave, various others get too scared to do anything, and we all keep dong this and nothing changes.

Not for staff.
Not for normal members.
Not for anyone.

And indeed, it's quite clear from posts like Nepenthe's that that's just as bad for staff as anyone else.

But nothing changes, even after over a year of these discussions in various forms.

The clear point being that none of us trust each other, due to us all being hurt in our own own ways, for our own reasons, and thus are immediately suspicious of each other when even what might in fact turn out the to be the most innocuous thing in the end, nonetheless because of how we're hurt in the past, we can't take that chance, and assume the worst, assume someone is directly attacking US, assume people our leaking OUR private conversations, assume this, assume that, and in many cases, especially based on prior lived experience where exactly that happened, there are very valid reasons for that mistrust, but that doesn't mean that's what happened in every situations.

But precisely because we've all been hurt in our own ways, which is both tragic and perfectly understandable, because of those own forms of hurting, we'll never actually trust each other, not truly, and always be suspicious, the seeds of doubt will always be there and they won't go away because of that hurt.

So I just don't know what to do.

I don't know how to fight that.

I don't know how to make us able to trust each other and get along and actually fix this.

I'm not sure if it even is possible at all, precisely because that hurt is so incredibly real and runs so very, very deep sometimes.

I don't know.

But I'm stepping out from this particular conversation because I'm clearly way outside my depth at this point, that I've given it all from my perspective, and don't know what else to offer and my participating in it, my mental state has only become worse and I'm become more depressed and despondent over both the state of the site and the safety of those I'd like to consider friends, even if that's too strong a word and comes off as kinda creepy if anything as someone who's primarily a lurker, nonetheless even as such there are so many people who's posts I love reading that I'd hate to lose and I just have no hope that won't happen eventually, if not now, in some future controversy or some such, and nothing that's been said has given me reassurance on that front.

Like, people coming and going simply due to the passage of time and the realities of real life is one thing, but so many people leaving because they're afraid to post or what would happen to them or leaving because of what happened to other members... That's what terrifies me.

And nothing that's been said indicates to me that that will in fact get any better and anything will happen other than us continuing to lose members and communities.

And I've tried my best to argue my own perspective there.

But I've said my piece and don't know what else to say, especially this is hardly my forté to begin with, and honestly, I'm terrified myself about accidentally tripping on toes and have been fearful of that for some time and have been scared that I've been really living on borrowed time and that if I say anything, anything at all more than this, that I will be threadbanned if not outright banned, so that's just one more reason to go.

I just myself don't feel safe, at all.

I feel dismissed.

Ignored.

Like I don't belong.

So I'll spend my energy elsewhere, helping members where I can where I see the opportunity, but that's clearly not here.

This thread is a lost cause that will change nothing, for anyone, on either "side," or any community, or anything. It will just keep going on in circles, as it has been for months.

Nonetheless, I hope I'm wrong about that. Dear god, do I hope I'm wrong.

And I wish everyone in this thread the absolute best.

But I myself can't keep doing this. It's just not good for me, at all, in any way.

So to everyone here.
To TransEra
To AsianEra
To MuslimEra
To BlackEra
To so many other communities

And indeed, to the staff as well, the moderators, admins, and everyone,

I leave you with the warmest of wishes and with the best for all of you, wish you happy holidays, hope you stay safe in these trying times that even ignoring everything that's happening on this site and in various Discords and whatever, with just the pandemic and all that alone, I hope you stay safe and all that, and I wish the best for your loved ones as well.

And I'm just rambling now, as I'm wont to do, so I'll leave it at.

Best wishes all, and stay safe.

Also though,

I myself am not a part of any Discords. I mean, I have access to stuff like the original PoliEra discord, but I never use it, because I just hate Discord in general. And anything more than that? Got nothing.

But again, that relates to people being hurt in very real ways, and that pain being perfectly valid, and precisely because of that pain, we lash out at not only those who deserve it, but those that don't as well, just as a defensive measure to avoid being hurt again. That's part of being human, especially when you're a minority and that's your daily lived experience.

But that being the case, that's what gives me so little hope of this being something that's being able to be solved.

So much jumping to conclusions, making assumptions, and just, well, assuming they're true without any communication or verification, and just letting oneself be further hurt by assuming worst case scenarios and conspiracies even when that wasn't what actually happened or was meant.

I just... don't know what to do about that.
I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done.

Just too many people, each hurt in their own ways, for their own unique reasons and situations, making conversation and reaching across that pain and prior hurt even harder than it already would be even in the best times.

I don't know what to do.

I'd like to help, because like I said, I'm an incredibly empathetic person to a fault and just can't help it, especially since on top of that, as someone who's also disabled, I have nothing but time on my hands.

But... there are some problems that can't be solved. Certainly not by any given individual anyway.

And I have to accept my own limits and indeed, look after my own mental health as well, and be careful I don't develop some kind of savior complex on top of everything else, which never fixes anything for anyone involved and just makes existing problems worse instead of better.

But like I already said, just rambling at this point, and I don't know what else to say, other than discussion in this thread has been completely unproductive and in no way helpful to my mental health and I unfortunately can't see that changing, even as I try my best to be optimistic and a glass-half-full person, I just can't see that applying here, as much as I try and want to.

Nonetheless, since I did end up rambling some more, I once again wish everyone the best, happy holidays, and hope you all stay safe and healthy, especially in this trying year of all years, with pandemic and all on top of it all.

Timothy "ShironRedshift" Brown

Well, just one final thing. I'm not a member of the Discord in question as I said, but I feel it deserves just as much exposure, so I'll give it a quote just to make sure this perspective isn't missed:"

Lots to unpack from ShironRedShift here.

Oh shit the season finale of The Mandalorian just dropped!

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned

Not racist at all! No sir!

Also, how the hell is “person of color” any worse than “colored person”? You literally just flipped the fucking order of the words around. That makes it ok or better? 🤣

dave_d

After reading a lot of this thread and seeing the current journalist reaction i now understand why games and movies don't take chances. These people that demand inclusivity and shit like that will destroy you if you don't do it exactly right. Instead of focusing on what you did do and praising that which would lead to more and more of it happening in a better way, they focus on what you didn't do and tear you down and demean you for it making sure that no one will ever touch that subject again. They are their own worst enemy but are too blinded to see that. Not to mention the performative aspects of the whole thing.
Pretty much. Anybody remember Scarlett Johansson and "Rub & Tug"? She was all behind it and the studio was too since they figured with a big name behind it people might take a chance and see it. How'd that work out?

I have never seen such a poor smattering of tumblr rejects have such a boring fallout between them that makes kindergarten fights feel like the MMA. How do these pussies function in real life?

lmimmfn

WTF is it with these War and Peace sized posts? nobody online gives a f**k about anyone else so why bother posting all that absolute junk

#Phonepunk#

Banned
funniest thing about 2020 has been watching all the SJWs out themselves as old school racists

like when that CRT infographic was going around claiming that "critical thinking" was only for white people, i was like, lol, yall have to be shitting me, you don't realize this is exactly the same shit white supremacists were saying 100 years ago?

but they are fucking clueless.

Loope

Yup. Some rapper made a video and the lyrics included killing white babies.

She defended it because they were white. She hates white people.

This dude, she went on a rant about white people. Pretty normal for her.

EDIT: also people were banned for saying it was fucked up.
I don't even...

nush

funniest thing about 2020 has been watching all the SJWs out themselves as old school racists

like when that CRT infographic was going around claiming that "critical thinking" was only for white people, i was like, lol, yall have to be shitting me, you don't realize this is exactly the same shit white supremacists were saying 100 years ago?

but they are fucking clueless.

Resetera: You can't be racist to white people.
Also Resetera: "Karen" is a racist meme.

PoundSand

Banned
Huge Nepenthe post (she's an admin) and she locked the Constructive Criticism thread. Seems big. Too big to screenshot, so enjoy another wall of text from yours truly.

No.

I don't.

Pound sand.

"As she finished typing that last dot, she ran her hand through her turquoise hair that had already lost any fresh glimmer and gotten darker from sweat, exuding a strong, unpleasant odor that she was long immune to. She was immune to anything, really. A big sigh, followed by some involuntary grunt, as her obese nose wouldn't let free the air as easily as it normally would. Easy. Normal. She was none of that. Ever since she had decided to be a woman, she was fighting the world. A fight that would only grow more intense when she also chose to be lesbian. Non-binary. Male sometimes, female other times. And she felt another revelation swelling up inside of her that would materialize itself in the following weeks. She knew it and was excited what it'd be. Maybe pansexuality? Maybe joining the polyamory community? Demi-sexual sounded so cool, she remembered that word from watching the Digimon-anime. But it didn't really matter, it never did. Because at the end of everything, one fact would remain: That she is a fighter. Fuck the police, fuck those who refuse to accept that black people get to say words that others don't. Fuck those white cis men that oppose having sex with a trans woman! And fuck all game developers, movie makers and book authors that refuse to make their fictional stories all about trans representation. Because that's what she ultimately fought for: Representation in fiction. Every day she goes to bed with tears in her eyes and wakes up the next morning with crusty lids, because of how much all those video games, movies and books hurt her and her online-friends. She vividly remembers that day when Chris Redfield wouldn't tell Jill "Sorry, Valentine, but I'm gay. So gay.". She remembers when Link in Breath of the Wild wasn't female; spent the whole night crying into her pillow. And noone could ever imagine the hurt and grief when it was revealed that Cyberpunk 2077, the biggest game of the year, featured a woman with a cybernetic dick on in-game adverts. Even the one openly trans-character in the game never once said "I'm trans! Player, look at me. I'm trans!" and that broke that final something inside her. She's a fighter. She'll always be. But that must wait until the evening. It's 10am, she woke up a couple minutes ago, and her friends are about to ring her appartment's door. She'll go out, have fun, enjoy some high class education at university, eat delicious food and plan for all the fun things she can imagine. Her life is the best it could be. But that's only on the outside. Once she's back home, in front of her computer, she'll return to her true self and fight this dark, nasty world. Because she's a fighter."

Why does she write essays for random people on the internet about the most mundane shit in her life? Who gives a shit?

These are the people who claim they're making the world a better place. Such narcissists, with their heads stuck so far up their own asses, and can barely functionally accomplish daily routines, never mind being more ambitious than that.

Last edited:

PoundSand

Banned
ShironRedShift can't stand to see Nepenthe and Hexe get all the attention so here is his long form screed in response:

"Okay, I'll be honest about my feelings. This might come off as harsh, because really, I have no idea how in the world to say it without it sounding that way, despite not meaning to:

But Nephenthe's post, while truly wonderful and heartfelt and it's easily to tell is genuine and so chocked full of so many emotions which are incredibly valid...

That's all 100% true and valid.

But at the same time, like how to put this? This is the where it's hard to say it without being insensitive part comes in, despite absolutely not meaning to.

It's odd to see so many people rush to give sympathies and concerns to Nepenthe's posts, even when they're absolutely valid and deserved, when so many concerns from so many others were outright dismissed if not banned by the staff (which I know Nepenthe in particular has nothing to do with in most of these cases and don't mean to imply otherwise), to see such an outpouring of emotion and sympathy for that post and those feelings when so many others got and continue to get little to none (though I suppose that isn't terribly surprising since many who would do that are either banned, threadbanned, or just too terrified to post in fear of one or the other happening to them at this point, so it's only natural things would be rather lopsided at this point, with the way things have gone and where we're currently at, even if that's just a completely unintentional after-effect, but still)...

I dunno, if it's a feeling of being wronged, or just jealousy and pettiness (which I'm fully willing to admit is almost certainly part of it, at least in my case, and I fully realize that and how ridiculous and completely insensitive that is even, but I can't help how I feel, as weird as it is to be "jealous" of such things, it's just feels like more attention is being paid towards some people being hurt than others, and I'm sure part of the problem in fact is that we all feel that way, and just disagree over who gets more attention or why, and that itself is part of the problem itself, focusing on such things instead of just addressing the hurt itself and what can be done about it), or some combination, but despite their being ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH IT ON THE SURFACE, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, it still FEELS wrong for those kinda reasons.

Like, I know that might make ABSOLUTELY no sense whatsoever, especially since that post was so clearly so heartfelt and full of emotion, but that's precisely the thing...

So many people have been doing the same thing, have been pouring their hearts out as well, and to see that utterly dismissed and the whole entire tone change as soon as Nepenthe posted... While her feelings might absolutely be genuine and valid and she's not saying anything wrong or anything, it still feels wrong, because while that may have in no way been her intention, far from it in fact, the entire discussion has shifted despite absolutely no problems being solved, whatsoever, or anything really changing.

And that itself is worrying to me.

Because it's just because giving their sympathies to a perfectly sympathetic situation, and there's nothing wrong with that. Far, far from it. It's the most natural thing in the world, in fact.

But at the same time, nothing is actually SOLVED by doing that either. Not that post is really meant to solve anything, and is fully honest about that. But still, we're still exactly where we were, just expressing sympathy to Nepenthe while all the same problems and issues still remain, completely unaddressed, just buried under the wave of sympathies.

Like, I know it's not really a fair comparison to Nepenthe's post, but I'm still nonetheless reminded of this post from earlier in the thread that kinda got lost in the shuffle:

Like, I don't want to say that Nepenthe was doing the same thing as Wonderment, because she certainly wasn't, definitely not intentionally anyway.

And I know she was only speaking for herself.

But nonetheless, how do I put this... There can be an army of posts from various communities, but as soon as there is one staff post full of emotion, even when there are countless posts full of emotion from various communities, seeing people huddle around the staff post...

I duno how to put it, but it feels bad.

Not because Nepenthe's feelings aren't genuine.

Not because there even should be sides in this to begin with.

But just seeing how the discussion completely shifted like after that, even if that was in no way her intention, that people rush to give sympathies, even if they are indeed well deserved, just the flow of the discussion and all the problems that were being addressed and still needing to be addressed feeling like they're being swept away just like that, even if that was in no way the intention, still seeing it happening and realizing indeed that even COMPLETELY UNINTENTIONAL, that just people pouring our their legitimate heartfelt emotions like that can have such an effect on the way things go...

It just gives me even less hope, to be honest.

Because everything Nepenthe saying may be true and may be from the heart and is perfectly valid.

But where does it leave us?

What does it change?

Not that the point of such posts are to change things per se anyway, but...

I duno.

The whole thing, the whole state of the thread after that, it just confirms to meet that this is doomed to repeat.

That I myself have tried my best, to no avail.

And I'm just done (NOTE: THIS IS NOT A CALL FOR WANTING TO BE BANNED. I DON'T MEAN DONE IN THAT WAY.).

I'm just completely done.

I've given into the learned helplessness.

Nepenthe's feelings are perfectly valid, there's nothing wrong with them in any way.

But nonetheless her posting that and the reaction to that and how the thread has quickly shifted since....

It confirms to me that change is futile here.

So I give up.

I've tried so much, everything I can think of to get through.

But clearly none of it matters, and indeed, staff vs member divisions will remain, and we'll just keep going in circles, pouring out emotions until a combination of people get banned, others leave, others are too scared to speak up, until some other incident happens, where again there are various outpouring of emotions, various people are banned, various others leave, various others get too scared to do anything, and we all keep dong this and nothing changes.

Not for staff.
Not for normal members.
Not for anyone.

And indeed, it's quite clear from posts like Nepenthe's that that's just as bad for staff as anyone else.

But nothing changes, even after over a year of these discussions in various forms.

The clear point being that none of us trust each other, due to us all being hurt in our own own ways, for our own reasons, and thus are immediately suspicious of each other when even what might in fact turn out the to be the most innocuous thing in the end, nonetheless because of how we're hurt in the past, we can't take that chance, and assume the worst, assume someone is directly attacking US, assume people our leaking OUR private conversations, assume this, assume that, and in many cases, especially based on prior lived experience where exactly that happened, there are very valid reasons for that mistrust, but that doesn't mean that's what happened in every situations.

But precisely because we've all been hurt in our own ways, which is both tragic and perfectly understandable, because of those own forms of hurting, we'll never actually trust each other, not truly, and always be suspicious, the seeds of doubt will always be there and they won't go away because of that hurt.

So I just don't know what to do.

I don't know how to fight that.

I don't know how to make us able to trust each other and get along and actually fix this.

I'm not sure if it even is possible at all, precisely because that hurt is so incredibly real and runs so very, very deep sometimes.

I don't know.

But I'm stepping out from this particular conversation because I'm clearly way outside my depth at this point, that I've given it all from my perspective, and don't know what else to offer and my participating in it, my mental state has only become worse and I'm become more depressed and despondent over both the state of the site and the safety of those I'd like to consider friends, even if that's too strong a word and comes off as kinda creepy if anything as someone who's primarily a lurker, nonetheless even as such there are so many people who's posts I love reading that I'd hate to lose and I just have no hope that won't happen eventually, if not now, in some future controversy or some such, and nothing that's been said has given me reassurance on that front.

Like, people coming and going simply due to the passage of time and the realities of real life is one thing, but so many people leaving because they're afraid to post or what would happen to them or leaving because of what happened to other members... That's what terrifies me.

And nothing that's been said indicates to me that that will in fact get any better and anything will happen other than us continuing to lose members and communities.

And I've tried my best to argue my own perspective there.

But I've said my piece and don't know what else to say, especially this is hardly my forté to begin with, and honestly, I'm terrified myself about accidentally tripping on toes and have been fearful of that for some time and have been scared that I've been really living on borrowed time and that if I say anything, anything at all more than this, that I will be threadbanned if not outright banned, so that's just one more reason to go.

I just myself don't feel safe, at all.

I feel dismissed.

Ignored.

Like I don't belong.

So I'll spend my energy elsewhere, helping members where I can where I see the opportunity, but that's clearly not here.

This thread is a lost cause that will change nothing, for anyone, on either "side," or any community, or anything. It will just keep going on in circles, as it has been for months.

Nonetheless, I hope I'm wrong about that. Dear god, do I hope I'm wrong.

And I wish everyone in this thread the absolute best.

But I myself can't keep doing this. It's just not good for me, at all, in any way.

So to everyone here.
To TransEra
To AsianEra
To MuslimEra
To BlackEra
To so many other communities

And indeed, to the staff as well, the moderators, admins, and everyone,

I leave you with the warmest of wishes and with the best for all of you, wish you happy holidays, hope you stay safe in these trying times that even ignoring everything that's happening on this site and in various Discords and whatever, with just the pandemic and all that alone, I hope you stay safe and all that, and I wish the best for your loved ones as well.

And I'm just rambling now, as I'm wont to do, so I'll leave it at.

Best wishes all, and stay safe.

Also though,

I myself am not a part of any Discords. I mean, I have access to stuff like the original PoliEra discord, but I never use it, because I just hate Discord in general. And anything more than that? Got nothing.

But again, that relates to people being hurt in very real ways, and that pain being perfectly valid, and precisely because of that pain, we lash out at not only those who deserve it, but those that don't as well, just as a defensive measure to avoid being hurt again. That's part of being human, especially when you're a minority and that's your daily lived experience.

But that being the case, that's what gives me so little hope of this being something that's being able to be solved.

So much jumping to conclusions, making assumptions, and just, well, assuming they're true without any communication or verification, and just letting oneself be further hurt by assuming worst case scenarios and conspiracies even when that wasn't what actually happened or was meant.

I just... don't know what to do about that.
I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done.

Just too many people, each hurt in their own ways, for their own unique reasons and situations, making conversation and reaching across that pain and prior hurt even harder than it already would be even in the best times.

I don't know what to do.

I'd like to help, because like I said, I'm an incredibly empathetic person to a fault and just can't help it, especially since on top of that, as someone who's also disabled, I have nothing but time on my hands.

But... there are some problems that can't be solved. Certainly not by any given individual anyway.

And I have to accept my own limits and indeed, look after my own mental health as well, and be careful I don't develop some kind of savior complex on top of everything else, which never fixes anything for anyone involved and just makes existing problems worse instead of better.

But like I already said, just rambling at this point, and I don't know what else to say, other than discussion in this thread has been completely unproductive and in no way helpful to my mental health and I unfortunately can't see that changing, even as I try my best to be optimistic and a glass-half-full person, I just can't see that applying here, as much as I try and want to.

Nonetheless, since I did end up rambling some more, I once again wish everyone the best, happy holidays, and hope you all stay safe and healthy, especially in this trying year of all years, with pandemic and all on top of it all.

Timothy "ShironRedshift" Brown

Well, just one final thing. I'm not a member of the Discord in question as I said, but I feel it deserves just as much exposure, so I'll give it a quote just to make sure this perspective isn't missed:"

Lots to unpack from ShironRedShift here.

Oh shit the season finale of The Mandalorian just dropped!

This is actual mental illness. I feel sorry for this person.

"Okay, I'll be honest about my feelings. This might come off as harsh, because really, I have no idea how in the world to say it without it sounding that way, despite not meaning to"

Bascially, she's saying "I'm gonna be an asshole, but I pls don't think of me as an asshole".

I also love the part where she says "Nephenthe's feelings might be genuine", ROFL

Ionian

This is actual mental illness. I feel sorry for this person.

"Okay, I'll be honest about my feelings. This might come off as harsh, because really, I have no idea how in the world to say it without it sounding that way, despite not meaning to"

Bascially, she's saying "I'm gonna be an asshole, but I pls don't think of me as an asshole".

I also love the part where she says "Nephenthe's feelings might be genuine", ROFL

they actually say on their Twitter that they are autistic. I won't link it.

So yeah, they have personal issues.

Astral Dog

hehe Super Saiyan Blue Karen 👩‍🎤

It seems like ERA is already making preparations for the worst with Harry Potter, i wish good luck to those brave warriors they are an inspiration for all of us 🤧

PoundSand

Banned
hehe Super Saiyan Blue Karen 👩‍🎤

It seems like ERA is already making preparations for the worst with Harry Potter, i wish good luck to those brave warriors they are an inspiration for all of us 🤧

Yeah, it's one big foul compromise.

"Ok, trans era, we didn't ban the big blockbuster game because click revenue, but now we'll ban that movie game that not that many people care about anyway. We good? We good, right?!"

Butt of the joke, you, trans era :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom